Business / Technology

Microsoft Pri0

Welcome to Microsoft Pri0: That's Microspeak for top priority, and that's the news and observations you'll find here from Seattle Times reporter Sharon Chan.

E-mail Sharon| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home| Brier Dudley's Blog

July 25, 2008 3:37 PM

Open houses scheduled on 520 tolls

Posted by Benjamin J. Romano

On my way back to Seattle from Redmond Thursday evening, I watched as Microsoft Connector shuttles streamed by in the carpool lane. Saving time, and, if Highway 520 gets tolls in two years, saving money. In any case, those who want to share their two cents on the tolls will have five opportunities in the coming weeks.

The 520 Tolling Implementation Committee announced this afternoon "a series of five public open houses to gather public feedback on these tolling scenarios, which could impact I-90, SR 522, and other major roadways in the area. All open houses run from 5:00 - 7:30 p.m. with a presentation beginning at 6:00 p.m."

The dates and locations:

450 110th Avenue N.E.

Thursday, Aug.7 -- Kirkland
Kirkland Performance Center
350 Kirkland Ave.

Posted by Greg Weld

8:05 AM, Jul 28, 2008

It really doesn't matter if there are 50 lanes going each way across Lake Washington... until you FIX the mess at I-5 and I-405 you're going nowhere fast. What possible difference could more lanes make... when you can't merge properly... and go north or south on the freeways at either end?

My FIX would be to spend far less -- and identify the traffic disasters this states marvelous engineers have designed. Lets look at the HOV lanes that cause those drivers to have to stall to cross three lanes of traffic to go from one freeway to the other... Or how about the many CHICANE lanes that have us trying to cross over each other as the same lane is trying to get on with one trying to get off.... How about doing a flyover from 520 at I-5 so you don't have people trying to cross 4 lanes of traffic to get off at Mercer... And lets not forget the HOV lane that is SOUTHBOUND on I-405 that suddenly goes NORTHBOUND to I-5.... Yeah that one works for me....

Posted by John Bailo

5:43 PM, Jul 29, 2008

I think there wouldn't be so much traffic is people weren't so blind about how cool the exurbs really are. You don't need to "live in Seattle" to have a cool lifestyle. I live on Kent East Hill and I think it's as fascinating as any neighborhood in the Puget Sound. There is a nice urbanesque core, a state of the art mall, music, parks, bike routes...and the same can be said of Bellevue, Issaquah, Redmond. People need to have the mindset to see just how fun these exurbian centers are and move closer to their work. Or even, as I do, try to make them even more fun by bringing that Seattle spirit around town!

Jul 28, 08 - 02:42 PM
Virtualization company VMWare leasing East Wenatchee data center from Sabey

Jul 28, 08 - 12:48 PM
Redefining Internet search

Jul 25, 08 - 03:37 PM
Open houses scheduled on 520 tolls

Jul 25, 08 - 11:36 AM
Microsoft's Kevin Johnson resigned

Jul 24, 08 - 03:30 PM
FAM: CFO Liddell says chance of full acquisition of Yahoo "essentially negligible"