advertising
Link to jump to start of content The Seattle Times Company Jobs Autos Homes Rentals NWsource Classifieds seattletimes.com
The

Seattle Times Seattle Sonics
Traffic | Weather | Your account Movies | Restaurants | Today's events

Sonics Blog

Follow the Sonics off and on the court with reporters Percy Allen and Jayda Evans.

All blogs and discussions ››

October 31, 2007

Post game notes and quotes

Posted by Percy Allen at 11:39 PM

QUOTES

P.J. Carlesimo: "A lot of turnovers and we ran out of game a little bit. It was a good effort for about three quarters, but you can't turn the ball over against these guys. I think at one point, we turned it over four or five straight times and that's when the game got away from us. We are never really defensively, but at least in the zone we were talking and did a pretty good job and we just came unglued. Turnovers and fatigue, I think, were probably the two biggest reasons. It was a good effort for about 34 minutes, but not good enough to beat a team like Denver."

Denver coach George Karl: "I feel Seattle is a good team even thought they are young and they are going to hang in there with a lot of teams this season."

Listen to Kevin Durant here.

And here's an audio clip of Damien Wilkins.

NOTES --- The Sonics lost their fourth straight season opener.

C Nick Collison finished with a team-high 11 rebounds.

C Johan Petro grabbed 10 boards off the bench. He managed just three games of 10+ boards last season.

Post/read Comments (9) »

Comments

Hi, Guys (Percy and Jayda, I mean), thanks for the always-great Sonics coverage.

Those audio files are fantabulous!

Folks like me stuck out-of-country or otherwise unable to see/listen to the game would be very interested to see the blog used for some in-game (and out-of-game!) commentary when/if you have the time. It's a great chance for you to state your opinion rather than just be reporters--such as, were Durant's shots in the flow of the game, were they good shots? Or was he forcing up bricks? Why do you think West was more effective than Watson, beyond "energy"? And why do you think Watson was ineffective (aren't these guys getting paid enough to be energetic?)? I'd always had the impression reading stories from afar that he was the lockdown defender and steady team handler of the two (he & Ridnour, I mean, not he & West), but if my impression is accurate, it seems like West has him beat on both fronts, to my surprise. West could be the steal of that trade (although I think Szerbiak will prove valuable).

Can you imagine the Celtics with West added to their current lineup? He's their missing piece... all they'd need then would be a lumbering big body a la Cartwright...

The reason Geoff Baker's M's blog was such a huge hit, in my opinion, was his using the platform to provide insightful opinion/analysis. It's a great opportunity for someone to step up to the Kelley realm without having to wait another 5-8 years... if they were interested... and even if you're not interested, I and others will no doubt be lurking, checking the blog every day for your tasty tidbits. Thanks!

Posted by Merrill at 8:29 AM, Nov 01, 2007

The biggest surprise was Delonte West. He was great. I dont see why the Sonics decided not to offer him a contract extenstion.

He made the team go.

Posted by Harbor man at 10:00 AM, Nov 01, 2007

The biggest surprise was Delonte West. He was great. I dont see why the Sonics decided not to offer him a contract extention.

He made the team go.

Posted by Harbor man at 10:00 AM, Nov 01, 2007

Watson was terrible last night (despite his 7 assists). He stagnates the offense. If it weren't for Delonte West, who came in twice while the Sonics were 10 points down, bringing them back both times and, at one point, giving them a 7 point lead, the Sonics would have lost by 40 points.

Durant did fine. His shots came in the flow of the offense (maybe a couple times he went to the rack, forcing the issue). The main thing I noticed, early on, were his Rookie nerves. After he calmed down, relaxed, he did just fine. He is going to be a special player.

Johan Petro is still terrible. His boxscore lies (10 rebounds - 2 blocks). The kid can't guard anybody 1-on-1, and I doubt he ever will. His two blocks, I believe, were against a small guard (he blocked the shot over Watson's back), and I think the other came against Carmelo, who allowed the shot to be blocked, assuming he would draw a foul. As for the boards... the guy's 6-10 and the ball kept bouncing right at him. He better grab the thing... Finally, on offense (yes the kid has a decent stroke, I'll give him that), he isolates as if he were KG. He's not. And never will be.

Luke deserves some tick. In just one game Watson has proven he is incapable of running the point. Delonte has shown that he is (if given enough time), but he is so explosive coming off the bench, I hestitate in demanding he be named the permanent starter.

Luke should start against the Suns, if there is any sanity left in Carlesimo. (After all, he did allow Johan and Watson on the court... more than once.)

Posted by Bench Watson Start Luke at 11:16 AM, Nov 01, 2007

It is obvious that the sonics plan on dealing Luke to a team in need of a point gaurd. There is no room for a duck that cant play defense on a team that already has enough problems on the defensive side of the ball. We do not need 2 point gaurds that cant shoot either. Keep Earl because he can play D and start Delonte, he looks to have alot of poise and promise.

By the way, was nobody else impressed with the hard nosed play out of Jeff Green. Blocked an Iverson layup while playing him man2man and seemed to be a future disruptive force on defense.

3 years from now the OKC Supersooners will look back and think what a trade we made dumping Allen for these two studs.

Now lets beat the Suns tonight!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by huskythor at 3:39 PM, Nov 01, 2007

Loved the play of Wilcox, Wilkins and Green. I agree bring Watson off the bench and start Delonte. They both bring a different type of energy Watson on defense and Delonte on offense. I think Watson would be more effective bringing defense off the bench.

Posted by B-Dog at 4:55 PM, Nov 01, 2007

Posted by B-Dog at 4:55 PM, Nov 01, 2007

U guy's got to kidding me.Watson is a terible point guard he want to score more than passing the ball. Luke is more of a true point guard than any of them he just need to put some weight.D'antoni of phoenix suns invited luke for olympic try out because he remind him of steve nash the way he handle the ball.Pls P.j ,wake up and start luke ridnour on a point.

Posted by genz at 7:41 AM, Nov 02, 2007

U guy's got to be kidding me.Watson is a terible point guard he want to score more than passing the ball. Luke is more of a true point guard than any of them he just need to put some weight.D'antoni of phoenix suns invited luke for olympic try out because he remind him of steve nash the way he handle the ball.Pls P.j ,wake up and start luke ridnour on a point.

Posted by genz at 7:41 AM, Nov 02, 2007