Seahawks

Seahawks Blog

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.

E-mail Danny| Seahawks forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

August 18, 2008 12:18 PM

This morning at VMAC (8/18)

Posted by Jose Romero

The rain and threatening thunder and lightning sent everyone indoors. It felt like walking into another room inside a building.

The crown jewel of the Seahawks' new HQ is the indoor field, and certainly one big reason the team built the facility. The indoor field already justifies the building of the facility, because it was needed on the day of the first official team practice there.

After walking through the glass door to wacth practice, it was just another day. For the most part. C Chris Spencer practiced for the first time since the first day of camp in Kirkland. He said his back pain subsided enough for him to take part. Spencer did not take part in team drills.

DE Patrick Kerney and QB Matt Hasselbeck did, however. Hasselbeck didn't play in Saturday night's game to get more rest for a sore back, but he said he expects to play next Monday when the Seahawks are in San Diego. And DB Jordan Babineaux took part in his first full practice since hurting his knee in the scrimmage Aug. 2.

Coach Mike Holmgren said RT Sean Locklear has a sprained ligament in his left knee and that it will require rest, not surgery. He still hopes Locklear will be back in time for the first games.

Holmgren also said that after looking at the film from Saturday's game, he feels worse about what he saw. Maybe that's the reason he lit into his players during and after practice this morning.

"We played a horribly sloppy game," Holmgren said. "We gained 500 yards, the other team gets 200 yards [It was actually 431 to 205] and you're in an overtime game? How does that compute? Well it computes because you have six turnovers [including two blocked punts], 12 penalties...it was horrible, and I won't stand for it. Coaches or players. We gotta get crankin' again. It was too much 'at the playground' the other night."

One more thing -- backup QB Seneca Wallace was held out of practice with tightness in his groin, but will be OK, Holmgren said.

Posted by anonymous

1:23 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Wow! Not sure if I would want to sit in the room with Coach H. pissed. I pretty sure it was a stark contrast to the feel good moments of new facility, winning the overtime preseason game. This is definitely a mark of a good coach. Hope he gets them focused for another playoff run.

Posted by Southeast Seahawk

1:46 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Glad, no wait, THRILLED that Coach Holmgren saw on film what I was watching. That game was a mess. Like he said, the penalties, the turnovers. Sure Forsett looked great and I hope we keep him, but we better find a solid #3 QB and fast. Also, I was disappointed in Schmidt. Iíve been hearing/reading all about what we can expect and in the 3rd qtr on a punt return, he was actually just standing in the middle of the field while Forsett was trying to pick up blocks on the return. I watched this play twice, just to make certain I saw what I thought I saw. You should not make this team if you donít go all out on every play. I am impressed with the rookie kicker from Georgia and liked how Mare was putting the ball in the end zone on kickoffs. Thatís going to be a tough call.

I know itís just a preseason game and I have my hackles up but the season is only a few short weeks away. I also have faith in our coach and know these issues will get cleared up.

Posted by MissBeth

2:59 PM, Aug 18, 2008

I haven't watched the game yet...I worked it, but I did hear a few things from fans about the game. Thanks goodness for my DVR!

The one thing I hear a LOT is "it's pre-season, so it doesn't count!"

Well this is WHY we have pre season isn't it, to figure out how to fine tune all the talents we have on our team, to weed out those who aren't carrying their weight etc.

I'm VERY excited the team is in it's new facility already! I for one am looking forward to a tour in the very near future!!!

GOOOOO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!

Posted by HawkPhan

7:14 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Yeah, I hope this is not a harbinger of another year of the win-at-home, don't play tough on the road attitude that SUNK
the Seahawks last year.

If they aren't hungry, they should hang it up now.

Posted by GrizzlyHawk

7:30 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Possibly dumb and certainly pointless question, but I'm curious: If Hasselbeck didn't play on Saturday, why do the official stats show his as 0 for 1 passing? And, if he did go in for just one pass, why??

Posted by Hawk Fan in Memphis

10:22 PM, Aug 18, 2008

Way to tell it how it is Mike...NO HOLDS BARRED......I hope he cooked Charlie like a French Frye...he needs it.

Jackson to start Monday

This morning at VMAC (8/18)

Spencer is back

Thunder and lightning...and a roster analysis

Thoughts on Saturday night