Seahawks

Seahawks Blog

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.

E-mail Danny| Seahawks forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

August 13, 2008 11:18 AM

The Heater turned back on -- 8.13.2008 A.M. edition

Posted by Danny O'Neil

Rookie linebacker David Hawthorne is back at practice after missing the past three days because of a sore foot. Hawthorne was a standout in the first exhibition game, forcing two fumbles with big-time hits and showing why his nickname is "The Heater."

Lofa Tatupu came up with that nickname, and actually, it's the second moniker he came up with. Tatupu initially tried to tag him as "Heathorne" but that didn't really catch on. The Heater is much more popular.

Patrick Kerney returned to practice Wednesday morning, but only briefly. He took part in drills early in practice, went back into the locker room to be retaped and then came back out toward the end with the rest of the rehabbing players.

The new absence was right tackle Sean Locklear. Coach Mike Holmgren didn't answer questions afterward, and we haven't been given an injury status by the team yet. I'll let you know when they do. Update at 4:39 p.m.: Locklear is out with a sore knee. Apparently he has some tendinitis, but his absence is characterized as more precautionary, just to give Locklear a break.

There was also one roster move: Seattle signed Tim Lindsey, a long-snapper. Rookie Tyler Schmitt is currently out with an injury so Lindsey was signed as a temporary fix for the position. The team terminated the contract of linebacker Eric Wicks to make room for Lindsey.

The other injury to watch is Josh Wilson, who was watching a drill when secondary coach Jim Mora waved him onto the field, and told him to play left cornerback. Well, Wilson promptly gave up a deep ball to Jordan Kent, who caught a precisely thrown pass from Seneca Wallace. Wilson fell to the ground and stayed there, having apparently injured his leg. He watched the rest of practice.

Posted by Alex

11:45 AM, Aug 13, 2008

I think Josh Wilson is ok. He just did the old "I got burned for a big play so I should fall down and pretend I'm hurt" trick.

Posted by Michael

11:57 AM, Aug 13, 2008

Well, I would have to say this season is looking dreary. It goes against the grain to think negative in August, but OMG, this is insane.

Posted by back40

1:25 PM, Aug 13, 2008

If "The Heater" pops out a couple more footballs with his big hits, I think maybe "Popcorn Hawthorne" might be more appropriate!

Posted by truehawk

1:36 PM, Aug 13, 2008

I also heard that we llst 4 more players in the afternoon practice. The names or details of these players and their injuries has not been adressed by the team as of yet. I heard they were showering and getting ready to eat dinner when they mistriously fell to the floor at the same time and said they heard a "pop". This is a "freak" accident the players are reporting, but after a little more investigating by the training staff, the "pop" sound turned out to be middle linebacker Lofa tatupu bursting a wad a Big League Chew.

This is beginning to sound like we are cursed or ourplayers are P&**ies? You decide.

Posted by chuck

1:49 PM, Aug 13, 2008

I hurt myself watching the game last week.I choked on a chip. I think I might be back for chicago though.

Posted by James

2:03 PM, Aug 13, 2008

Why can't this be happening to the Pats?

Posted by scott

3:20 PM, Aug 13, 2008

Jeez you guys worry a lot. We are in a position where you can rest established players who are a bit banged up, rather than pushing them and potentially making their injuries more serious.

I bet all but Branch and Engram would be playing if the season started tomorrow.

Getting a kick out of punts -- 8.13.2008 P.M. practice coverage

Seahawks transportation plans Bus-ted

The Heater turned back on -- 8.13.2008 A.M. edition

Picking the drafts apart

Stop the press, Womack is back -- 8.12.2008 P.M. edition

Lab develops innovative vehicle technologynew
Nestled in the rolling Tennessee hills and forests, the secretive lab that developed power for the Manhattan Project is working to change the auto ind...