Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.
August 2, 2008 1:28 PM
Posted by Jose Romero
While I wait for the "official" stats from today's Seahawks' scrimmage from team media relations man Lane Gammel, here are some observations from today:
1. GREAT atmosphere. Sure, this was pretty much just like another day in practice for me, but the crowd of an estimated 11,000 had a good time and really got to let loose when Mike Holmgren asked them to make some noise like it was the Washington playoff game from last season. A lot of kids. Several players signed autographs and slapped hands with fans after the scrimmage, and one of the best signs in the crowd was "Marry me Lofa."
2. T.J. Duckett and Justin Forsett were the featured backs on a day in which the starters played very little if at all. Duckett was a load to bring down at times and plowed ahead for 6 and 7 yards a few times. Forsett, a rookie seventh-round pick who is a longshot to crack an already crowded backfield, turned in the two best runs of the day, one for 33 yards on a draw play.
3. The receivers made plays. Ben Obomanu and Logan Payne made nice catches, but Jordan Kent and Michael Bumpus had the best ones. Bumpus, a rookie undrafted free agent from Washington State, caught a Charlie Frye pass from the 23-yard line, took hits from Josh Wilson and Kevin Hobbs, and managed to lunge into the end zone. Kent, a second-year player from Oregon, hauled in a 53-yard bomb from Frye that was close to a touchdown, beating a pair of defenders.
4. The kicking competition is close. Rookie Brandon Coutu drilled on from 56 yards, giving him a slight edge over veteran Olindo Mare, who hit all but one try, a short attempt.
5. A lot of regulars were held out or played one series and out. But this scrimmage was more about letting the younger players and those in contention for a roster spot show what they have. Nice day for rookie TE John Carlson, who made some good catches for short gains and showed he can be an effective receiver.
6. Good day on defense for DEs Nu'u Tafisi, Jason Babin and Chris Cooper. I had said yesterday that Cooper was injured and wouldn't play, but his leg was apparently not serious enough to keep him out. Also Hobbs and S Jamar Adams played well in the secondary.
7. LT Walter Jones didn't even suit up. Those unavailable to play were LBs Wesly Mallard and Will Herring, P Ryan Plackemeier, C-G Chris Gray, C Chris Spencer, DT Red Bryant, WR Courney Taylor, TE Jeb Putzier, WR Deion Branch, DTs Marcus Tubbs and Larry Tripplett and DE Patrick Kerney.
Posted by nature
5:40 PM, Aug 02, 2008
Danny... or anyone that caught the scrimmage... could you comment on Charlie Frye? His numbers look good. Any chance there might be competition for the #2 QB spot? I think we all wish we'd see more of Seneca being on the field.
Posted by Bill D.
5:52 PM, Aug 02, 2008
Charlie Frye played a lot; I was actually hoping we could have seen Dalton Bell play with the offense.
His stats were more impressive than he was, he missed a couple of throws and didn't look like a guy you want to fill in if Hasselbeck, god forbid, gets hurt. In the individual drills, I was very much impressed by Bell, and I think there could be a competition for the three spot.
Then again, Chaz Frye has experience playing NFL ball (although he was traded after his most recent stint), so he has that going for him. But Seneca is still the #2 guy and will be for a while.
Posted by nature
5:54 PM, Aug 02, 2008
It's been a long day and I wasn't paying attention enough to note that Jose added these blogs. He was kind enough to email me an answer to my question. Thank!
Posted by Bill D
9:46 PM, Aug 02, 2008
Jose's the man.
Posted by Joe C
10:06 PM, Aug 02, 2008
Nature - You realize that if Frye is the #2 QB, Seneca can't play as the #3 unless both Charlie and Matt are declared ineligible.
We all hope Frye gets to the point where he'd be a servicable QB so Seneca can play elsewhere, but he shouldn't be #2 on gameday, he'll be #3.
Aug 2, 08 - 05:51 PM
Red Bryant on his knee surgery
Aug 2, 08 - 02:13 PM
Aug 2, 08 - 01:28 PM
Saturday at the scrimmage
Aug 1, 08 - 03:24 PM
Cooper, Tripplett out of scrimmage
Aug 1, 08 - 01:59 PM
Meeting with the officials
Furniture & home furnishings
1895 pump organ
2014 8th Annual Pacific Northwest Egg Fest
A LIONEL train sale
POST A FREE LISTING