Seahawks

Seahawks Blog

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.

E-mail Danny| Seahawks forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

July 30, 2008 4:06 PM

Josh Wilson: A rookie for at least a few more weeks

Posted by Danny O'Neil

The Seahawks completed a special-teams practice in the afternoon. Not much to report as the work was primarily on kickoff coverage and returns. No place-kicking competitions or punting.

The thing worth noting is Josh Wilson and Jordan Kent were working out together on kickoff return, Justin Forsett and Ben Obomanu were paired together on the other return unit. Julius Jones and Maurice Morris mostly watched during the kick returns.

Wilson and Kent are two of the fastest Seahawks. Kent competed in track at college, and Wilson was an elite Junior Olympics runner. He even remembers his time from high school when he placed second in nationals at the 400 meters.

According to the roster, Wilson is in his second season. According to the veterans, though, he's still a rookie. At least until he reaches the end of the exhibition schedule.

And as a rookie, Wilson was the recipient of some pretty persistent pranks, the most common coming when the clothes hanging in his locker were dropped onto the floor of the locker. In fact, that happened just Thursday to Wilson.

"Still cleaning up my locker," Wilson said. "Picking up my clothes, hangers down and stuff. But you've got to love it. It just shows they care."

At least he's back in one of the permanent wooden lockers reserved for the veterans. Last season he was evicted from his locker along the row of defensive backs. Safety Jordan Babineaux complained Wilson was too messy, his dirty clothes piling up and negatively affecting property values. So Wilson was transplanted among the defensive linemen, but soon enough he was bumped from there, ending up in a black temporary locker with no one to his left or his right.

This season, he's got a more permanent locker right between linebacker D.D. Lewis and cornerback Kevin Hobbs.

"They kind of take care of me," Wilson said.

As for who dumped his clothes on Wednesday, Wilson said he's got a pretty good idea.

"I've got a prime suspect," Wilson said. "No other suspects. I know who did it."

Who?

"I can't give that away because he doesn't know what I know," Wilson said.

Well, Rocky Bernard was one of Wilson's main tormentors a year ago so Wilson was asked if the guilty party went to college in Texas.

"No," Wilson said. "He was a prime suspect before, but not this time. It's another specific guy. Yeah, Pac-10 guys, gotta' love them."

Hmmm, that doesn't narrow it down too much. Fifteen of the 81 players at training camp went to Pac-10 schools.

Posted by freepop

8:39 PM, Jul 30, 2008

Think the Hawks are feeling a little down about this being the coash last go around ( from a few post down)....think maybe they like him?

Posted by Brett in Bonney Lake

10:18 PM, Jul 30, 2008

Hey Danny,

Great blog here, hopefully it will get up their with Baker's in terms of active readers.

What is the early assessment of the depth chart at RB/FB? Are they going to use Duckett in a FB type of role, with Jones/Morris and Forsett taking care of the HB duties? I like the thought of using Forsett in the same way the Giants used Bradshaw last year, a change of pace back who can outrun almost everyone on the field.

I must say I was extremely disappointed when I saw today that Juilian switched back to 98 this year. I just shelled out the dough and bought an authentic 59 Peterson jersey from the Pro Shop, and now I don't even want to wear it anymore. I hate when I see fans at the game wearing Darrell Jackson jerseys or Wistrom jerseys, and I surely don't want to be a hypocrite! I think I will throw it on Craigslist and find a buyer before word gets out!

Posted by freebie

11:19 AM, Jul 31, 2008

You think you got it bad, up until awhile back I still had Bosworth, stuff......to the dump!

Jul 31, 08 - 01:08 PM
Patrick Kerney back to practice; Red Bryant out -- 7.31.2008 A.M. practice

Jul 30, 08 - 04:06 PM
Josh Wilson: A rookie for at least a few more weeks

Jul 30, 08 - 03:41 PM
DeHaven on long snapping

Jul 30, 08 - 11:57 AM
Kevin Hobbs picks Charlie Frye -- 7.30.2008 A.M. practice

Jul 29, 08 - 05:30 PM
K.C. and no sunshine

Mechanic double-checks his air-bag worknew
Dear Tom and Ray: Last week, for one of my best customers, I replaced a very difficult steering rack. The ALLDATA instructions called for air-bag and ...