Seahawks

Seahawks Blog

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.

E-mail Danny| Seahawks forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

July 18, 2008 12:58 PM

Lofa Tatupu "haunted" by DUI arrest

Posted by Jose Romero

The Seahawks linebacker said he was "haunted" by his DUI arrest during an interview with KJR-AM's Dave "Softy" Mahler on Friday.

Tatupu apologized again and promised it would never happen again. He said players are role models and he is proud of being one. See this story for more.

Tatupu has fast become a star and one of the Seahawks' most popular players, and is a face of the team. So image, like they say in that old camera commercial, is everything.

Tatupu was to have served his sentence of one day in jail before the start of training camp, which opens a week from today.

Posted by LargentForever

2:20 PM, Jul 18, 2008

Not good enough.

I'm going to be booing the Hawks until the hypocrite Ruskell sends Lofa on his way.

Posted by InspiredByWalt

2:46 PM, Jul 18, 2008

Nah - he's human and by all accounts a good guy. He made some poor decisions and no one was hurt when he was driving drunk. He's paid for his crime (and maybe gotten some preferential treatment, true). This is something to be taken seriously, but it is his first arrest.
Would you want the chance to learn from something like this if it happened to you?

Posted by Ziasudra

2:59 PM, Jul 18, 2008

If everyone got zapped on their first mistake, the human race would have disappeared eons ago.

Posted by Dukeshire

3:26 PM, Jul 18, 2008

LargentForever,

Posted by jbfreem

3:36 PM, Jul 18, 2008

Not only was that a stupid statement, how is Ruskell a hypocrite?? What player has he kicked off for doing this same exact thing? In fact was GM has ever in the history of the NFL cut a player for a first time offense and a player who has been very apologetic and contrite during this whole ordeal? Me thinks that LargetnForever is not a Seahawk fan and just a troll, and by a slim chance he is, please become a 49er fan, because the Seahawk nation not does need you!

Posted by Saywhat?

9:17 PM, Jul 18, 2008

Tatupu is a good person and you can tell that by the way he dealt with this. I know a lot of people in the public image who will never admit to their wrong doings, he stood up and took the blame. I think this is the last we hear of him getting in trouble, after all who could be worse than Stevens.

Posted by Isaac12

11:21 PM, Jul 18, 2008

How exactly did he deal with it?

First he says he's going to take responsibility. Then he tries to plead not guilty. Then he sez okay I'm guilty. What a nutcase. My fair city does not need this kind of trash.

Posted by Dave

4:30 AM, Jul 19, 2008

Isaac12, any two-bit lawyer or PD will tell you to never plead guilty at arraignment. It's a common legal practice that just about every defendant uses.

Posted by Dukeshire

9:23 AM, Jul 19, 2008

LargentForever,

Your reign at the top was short lived thanks to Isaac12. Congrats Isaac12, you sir are now the holder of the dumbest comments regarding this matter.

Posted by chuck

1:44 PM, Jul 19, 2008

I geuss largent perfect if it happens twice then theres a promblem

Posted by ExSeahawkFan

5:59 PM, Jul 19, 2008

"LargentForever,

Congratulations on the most shortsighted, foolish statement I've read on this subject to date. "

Doesn't sound like you get out much.

The NFL - where drunking driving, spousal abuse, and anaimal cruelty are NO BIG DEAL!

Posted by BoxCarBaz

10:14 PM, Jul 19, 2008

Largent,Issac and Ex Seahawk fan I guess you three never
ever made a mistake ever right?
Give the man a chance to prove he won't do it again before
you 3 Holy men take your judgement to the extreme.

Posted by BurlesonBlue

10:20 PM, Jul 19, 2008

Hey LargentForever, Issac12, and ExSeahawkFan. Unless I see you holding gold, frankensense, and mur, I doubt you're the three wise men. Apparently, mistakes don't apply to you. You're robots, it seems. Everyone deserves a second chance. If Lofa does this again, then you'll have a point. You should be getting on Dale Ellis' case.

Posted by ExSeahawkFan

6:32 AM, Jul 20, 2008

Furthermore, the Seahawks just snafu'ed a golden opportunity to unequivocally state to its fanbase - the Seattle demographic most in need of this lesson - that drunk driving is no big deal. Thats about a quarter of a million people who now know that its okay to drink and drive atleast once.

Way yo go Seahawks. You are quite the community asset.

Posted by Ziasudra

8:06 AM, Jul 20, 2008

If Tatupu was such a cancer to the community, why didn't the community (the justice system) eliminate him? Since when is drinking a capital offense?

Posted by dukeshire

11:11 AM, Jul 20, 2008

ExSeahawkFan,
How do my comments represent not getting out much? My comment was directed at someone who thinks Ruskell is a hypocrite, with no factual evidence to back that up.
"The firing of a publicly funded corporation employee that endangers the health of the general public is perfectly warranted. This is how it works in the real world." I can only assume, that if you truely believe that, you are in total support of the articles of impeachment awaiting congress. It also seems to me that if that is indeed your ethos, your attention should be directed toward the president and his administration rather than something as pedesterian as football.

Climb out of you glass tower and join us "in the real world".

Posted by Some dude

9:23 PM, Jul 20, 2008

People don't get fired from their jobs for getting a DUI.

I was under suspicion of one and before I was even arraigned I told my bosses so they would understand if I needed the time off. We did what the seahawks did, we discussed why I was in a bad position and what I am going to do to make sure it never happens again. I'm sure Lofa and the Hawks management did the same thing.

Get off your horse.

Its not that DUIs aren't a big deal its that you don't solve the problem by dumping someone cuz they made one mistake. Save the dumping for Jeremy Stevens and the like.

Posted by Alexei

10:02 PM, Jul 20, 2008

Some studies suggest that by the time someone gets busted for DUI, they on average, have already committed the offense 3 times already.

Thats why one DUI is one too many. Food for thought.

I agree that high profile individuals need to be made an example of if any message is to be delivered to the public.

Posted by doug

11:51 PM, Jul 20, 2008

Posted by Ken B

4:09 AM, Jul 21, 2008

EXSeahawk..pleading not guilty is a formality you dumbass...if you plead guilty straight up the court throws the book at ya....go cheer for the GONICS numbnut.

Posted by Corey

7:20 AM, Jul 21, 2008

"if you plead guilty straight up the court throws the book at ya"

Thats would almost be like taking responsibility no?

Posted by LargentForeverSucks

10:28 AM, Jul 21, 2008

LargentForever is a moron. Never made a mistake? Yeah right. Lofa is a solid guy this was one little indiscretion and he is taking responibilty by agreeing to take the full rap. He could've receved a lighter charge or sentence if he had wanted. It's not as if this was a pattern. Get over yourself and think about what's good for the team. Get out of the 80's and into today. Sending away arguably one of the most dynamic LB's in the game is assenine. Idiot.

Posted by Isaac12

10:54 AM, Jul 21, 2008

Lofa, Stevens, Koren Robinson, Lamar Smith, Derrick Fenner, Jacob Green, Chick Harris, Brian Blades, Dennis Erickson, Orlando Watters, Patrick Hunter, Jack Patera...

Impressive tradition. Certainly more impressive than anything we've ever accomplished on the field. One would think they'd start taking this stuff serious.

Posted by Dukeshire

11:09 AM, Jul 21, 2008

"WHEN ARE THOSE GREEDY D BAGS GOING TO SIGN CONTRACTS? I MEAN THE TOP 2 ROUND PIX. GOD DAMN HOLD OUTS"

They're not hold-outs until they NO SHOW Friday.

Posted by spitfire

12:27 PM, Jul 21, 2008

Are you guys nuts? idiot?? Jeez I'm sick of Seahawks fans like you *slapping* get out of town losers!

except who're loyal and can read individual character who means well to the team..

Everyone makes mistakes.. just matter of not getting caught or not (wrong time/place) - if he wasn't caught - all of you would still workship him - you idiot!

I'm sick of this - I've forgiven Lofa and give him the chance .. I have not forgiven Stevens or other troublesome players - you can read their character that they'll repeat and never learn.. Lofa is an exceptional..

*slapping idiot fans*

*kicking them out of this town*

Let's move on people!

Posted by 12thmanforlife

1:59 PM, Jul 21, 2008

Ahhhh.....you got to love hypocrites in all their ignorance.
Who the hell gets fired from their job for 1 dui?
And he was man enough to not try to use his fame or popularity to get out of it. Lofa is a stand-up, respectable dude.
I can't even believe people would put him in the same category as Stevens or Koren Robinson. I hope that all of you hypocrites are ex-Seahawk fans now because we don't want you to associate with our team.
Get lost!

Posted by freebees

4:58 PM, Jul 21, 2008

Guess some people would've preferred throwing Tatupu in a volcano and speared a virgin?

Posted by Kenb

6:07 PM, Jul 21, 2008

Corey you have obviously never dealt with the court system. I am not a criminal by any means but I have brushed with the law once. Had I plead "guilty" I would have been slapped with a felony for a misdameanor crime. Since I plead not guilty I left it up to the police to show their evidence proving my felony act. Since my crime was a misdemeanor and not a felony I paid my fine of 200 dollars and went on with my life. My crime being I drank a beer with my 20 year old friend when I was 21. The police said I sold him the beer thus creating a felon rap of "furnishing" which in Alaska has a one year sentence attached to it. By pleading not-guilty I could prove I merely made a error in Judgement by having a beer with an underage friend. Owning up to mistakes is one thing but owning up to potential criminal acts can have devastating results that may not be waranted.

Posted by C Diddy

8:57 PM, Jul 21, 2008

Lofa is a solid guy. He didnt even get caught in his own car. Im curious what shape the person was in who[s car it was......Prob would of killed someone...

Posted by spitfire

11:52 PM, Jul 21, 2008

C Diddy, 12thmanforlife, Kenb & freebees

You rock - glad we're on same page unlike the others who disagree / think otherwise that's because they're biased / blinded / pure idiot..

Idiot fans: you just wait - just sit down and shut up until the end of next season - you'll regret the comments & thoughts about him..

Posted by flek

2:10 PM, Jul 23, 2008

It's sad, but most people would have gotten out of this DUI rap entirely. You just have to pay a lawyer enough money, and they know the tricks to make it disappear. I'll bet you that the richer you are, the cleaner your record. A person I knew was so drunk they don't remember getting in the car - wrapped it around a pole on the freeway damaging state property, ended up in the hospital but not a hint on their record, no loss of license, etc. Next time someone will die.

The fact Tatupu owns up to his mistake is huge. He certainly didn't have to. Hopefully he calls a cab next time he's being chummy and accepts that one extra beer that is offered - and hopefully everyone who respects him and reads about this story does the same.

Posted by Ben

6:26 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Tatupu handled his mistake better than Warren Moon is handling his MULTIPLE arrests under suspicion of DUIs, and while neither is excusable, I can see a big guy having one or two drinks and not thinking hard enough if it is common, and he seems like he certainly will think twice in the future...

Jul 24, 08 - 02:49 PM