Seahawks

Seahawks Blog

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.

E-mail Danny| Seahawks forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

July 9, 2008 4:19 PM

Dilfer ready to hang 'em up

Posted by Jose Romero

I think it's safe to say that Trent Dilfer still has a place in a lot of Seahawks' fans hearts for his efforts on the field and the tragedy of his young son Trevin's death in April 2003.

Dilfer has persevered and forged a 13-year NFL career that included four seasons in Seattle -- 2001 to 2004 -- and certainly played a part in building the confidence of and mentoring QB Matt Hasselbeck, who is today one of the NFL's best.

Plus Dilfer is, as a person who shall remain nameless (Initials D.O.) says, "straight outta Aptos," as in the town of Aptos, Calif., a sleepy hamlet along California's Central coast.

These days Dilfer, 36, is headed for retirement from the game, which he discussed in a conference call with reporters today in Stateline, Nev., at the American Century Celebrity Golf Tournament at Lake Tahoe.

An injured Achilles just made the decision come faster. You might remember that crazy Dallas game in 2002 (my first season covering the team, by the way) when Dilfer started, tore his Achilles early in the game and was replaced by Hasselbeck, who has held the starting QB job except for injury ever since. That game was also the one in which Emmitt Smith broke the NFL record for career rushing yards and when former Seattle WR Darrell Jackson suffered a seizure in the locker room after the game.

But back to Dilfer...

"I was going to retire anyway. This just gives clarity to the situation. There will be a formal announcement in the next few days about that," Dilfer said. "And I'm just really thrilled and looking forward to what's next for me. And obviously miss football. It's been a huge part of my life. But from here on out I'm excited about the possibilities and looking forward."

Dilfer is married with three daughters and said he's thinking about living in Tahoe year-round.

Dilfer was also asked about his football memories. Here's on from his time in Baltimore, where he won a Super Bowl after the 2000 season.

"My fondest memory is probably the AFC championship game, going back home to Oakland and playing in front of so many friends and family and winning the way we did."

"You have to go back and remember that season. They were the favorites from the AFC and one of the hottest teams going in and nobody gave us much of a chance. So to beat them the way we did, and to make the big play with Shannon [Sharpe] and to do it in front of so many friends and family was probably the highlight."

Added Dilfer about what he would miss: "The camaraderie. I think everybody I talked to says that that's about the hardest thing to get away from, is just the locker room, just being around the guys each day, the routine of the season. And then just being part of the team. Being part of the team is a special thing."

"And that's what I've always enjoyed most about football, the team sport. And so that's going to be very difficult. But I knew this time was coming, and here it is. So it's a hill you've got to climb."

Posted by Brian in Tucson

8:00 PM, Jul 09, 2008

A classy guy. Too bad the Hawks couldn't find a place for him as a quarterbacks coach or something. Definitely would be an asset to the coaching staff.

Posted by free stuff

8:43 PM, Jul 09, 2008

Not my heart!

Posted by SeaHokie

4:12 AM, Jul 10, 2008

A good man who was certainly in the right place at the right time for the Hawks. I wish him and his family well.

Posted by John _S

11:39 AM, Jul 10, 2008

Hello,

Do you know if he is thinking of coaching? I think he would be a wonderful coach.

Posted by j money

11:42 AM, Jul 10, 2008

He should definately coach (with the hawks) he's got a great football mind, knows the system and you can hear it when he talks.

Class act through and through,

Posted by SaukMtnMan

4:19 PM, Jul 10, 2008

One of the classiest guys to ever don a Seahawk uniform. Good luck in the future Trent! Thanks for being such a solid member of our community while you were here.

Posted by Swanny

9:58 PM, Jul 10, 2008

When Trent was in Tampa I thought he was one of the worst qb's I have ever seen. When he came to Seattle I was so against the move. Well I was wrong and I am glad he came to Seattle and he did good things for the franchise. He seems like a great guy and I want to officially apologize to the man for bad mouthing so much when he was with Tampa. Best of luck in retirement Trent.

Swanny

Posted by Oookk?

12:01 AM, Jul 11, 2008

free stuff....save it no one cares.

Posted by S.C. HawkFan

9:00 PM, Jul 14, 2008

Definitely appreciate what Trent did for the Hawks. I work in "Aptos" and live in Santa Cruz. Everyone around here has always rooted for Trent. Funny to
see someone not from around here say
"Straight out of Aptos".

Go Hawks!

Jul 14, 08 - 07:22 PM
Seahawks set to sign O. Schmitt

Jul 11, 08 - 02:37 PM
Favre asks out of Green Bay

Jul 10, 08 - 12:14 PM
Seahawks make changes in personnel scouting assignments

Jul 9, 08 - 04:19 PM