Seahawks

Seahawks Blog

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.

E-mail Danny| Seahawks forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

June 12, 2008 1:05 PM

Analyzing the depth chart

Posted by Jose Romero

UPDATE: This is just a preliminary look at what to expect for camp. I have left out some names of people I think will make the team for the sake of being brief. In response to a couple of comments, yes, I do believe Red Bryant makes this team but not so sure about Larry Tripplett at this point; and Tubbs will have to make it through camp healthy this year to earn his place.

How the team shapes up at the end of the June camp, with training camp coming up:

OFFENSE
QB -- Matt Hasselbeck is a lock.
RB -- Julius Jones is the likely starter, backed up by Maurice Morris and T.J. Duckett.
FB -- Leonard Weaver will get competition from rookie Owen Schmitt and David Kirtman.
OL -- Walter Jones at LT, Mike Wahle at LG, Chris Spencer at C though Chris Gray will be on standby if needed, Rob Sims at RG and Sean Locklear at RT.
WR -- Going into training camp, Nate Burleson and Ben Obomanu will be the top two receivers. Unless Bobby Engram reports on time. The other young guys are going to see a lot of action.
TE -- Looks like the team is banking on rookie John Carlson to be the No. 1. He'll get pushed by Jeb Putzier and Will Heller.

DEFENSE
DE -- Assuming Patrick Kerney is healthy, it's him and Darryl Tapp. Rookie Lawrence Jackson will push Tapp. The rest will battle for maybe two more roster spots.
DT -- Brandon Mebane and Rocky Bernard will be the No. 1s. Craig Terrill and Marcus Tubbs will make the team.
LB -- It's Lofa Tatupu in the middle with Leroy Hill and Julian Peterson on the outsides. D.D. Lewis, Lance Laury, Will Herring and Wesly Mallard are competing to be backups.
S -- Deon Grant and Brian Russell. Jordan Babineaux is the swing guy. Beyond that, its open competition.
CB -- Marcus Trufant is the lock. Kelly Jennings will have to battle the likes of Kevin Hobbs and Josh Wilson to keep his starting job.

SPECIALISTS
K -- The battle is set between veteran Olindo Mare and rookie Brandon Coutu.
P -- Look for the Seahawks to bring in a veteran free agent for insurance, with Ryan Plackemeier to be limited because of recent pectoral surgery.
LS -- Tyler Schmitt was drafted for this spot. Now he has to own it.

Posted by duce duce

1:30 PM, Jun 12, 2008

What makes you think Tubbs will make the team? He has never been healthy and with the way his knee tore last year it doesn't look like he ever will. Plus we have that beast from A&M we drafted. What about him?

Also, it bothers me that Babineaux never gets mentioned as a possible starter. He has played so well for us. He shut down T.O. in that playoff game 2 years ago. How are any of those 3 cb's better than him?

Posted by agrinaker

2:01 PM, Jun 12, 2008

No mention of Red Bryant or Larry Tripplett? Aren't we planning on working on a line rotation?

Posted by nature

2:41 PM, Jun 12, 2008

Why keep it brief? :-) We want details! We want something to chew on. There's a bunch of Mariner fans that would do well to have something else to think about.

C'mon Danny! Feed us! A write up on how the bubbleboys at these positions would be something to chew on.

Jennings having to babble to keep his spot is something to chew on. We need a CB battle.

Posted by Josh D in austin TX

4:04 PM, Jun 12, 2008

Thank Danny I love the info!

Posted by carolyn

4:35 PM, Jun 12, 2008

WHAT ABOUT 2ND STRING AND POSSIBLE RESERVERS FOR THE OFFENSIVE LINE. aT LEAST AN 80 MAN ROSTER

Posted by chuck

10:33 AM, Jun 13, 2008

I just cant wait to see Shmitt break some face mask. He sounds like a steal after everything I've read about him.

Posted by McCool

10:42 AM, Jun 13, 2008

Is it fair to call Spencer a bust yet?

Obemanu? That sure inspires confidence?

Do we know of Lofa and terrill are past their legal problems? Any chance they get moved?

What happened to Jordan Kent and Michael Bumpus?

I think Bobby Engram's leverage increases by the minute.

Posted by Old Timer

11:22 AM, Jun 13, 2008

I think Bobby E. has no leverage. He signed a contract, and is obligated to fulfill it. The Hawks (Haskill) has shown he won't re-negotiate. If Bobby continues to play well, he'll be rewarded; if he becomes a problem, he will become another team's problem - simple as that.
Much as they hated to lose Hutch, they weren't about to guarantee him more money than someone else (In his case Walter).
So Bobby can either @#$% or get off the pot. (Er, "fish or cut bait.")

Posted by Mr J-money Solo

11:46 AM, Jun 13, 2008

I'm not gonna lie... It looks wierd and unfamiliar not seeing Alexander there. Kinda makes me sad.

Any thoughts yet on moving Seneca to WR in "slash"/Randall El-type roll?? Holmgren says he's not holding back this year in terms of the playbook.

Posted by duce duce

12:03 PM, Jun 13, 2008

McCool- I don't think you can call Spencer a bust yet. He is still learning and there is a lot to learn at center.

What did Terrill do? I don't remember hearing anything about him getting into trouble. Do you mean Bernard? And if they moved Lofa that would be the worse move in team history! Don't even joke like that.

I think Bobby Engram has a little leverage. We have no depth at wr and he is so good in our offense. Plus he isn't asking for more money as some might think. He just wants another year or two added. I don't think that is asking too much. There isn't a lot to lose if your the Hawks. If it doesn't work out you just cut him. That's the way this business goes.

Posted by Old Timer

12:16 PM, Jun 13, 2008

To duces - I thought the story was that he wanted a longer contract AND more money. If the money is the same, that's possible. . . .Anybody know the details for sure?

Posted by duce duce

2:19 PM, Jun 13, 2008

I don't have any insider info or anything, but I haven't heard anything about more money. He has just said he wants an extension.

I hope our kicker situation works out. Neither of those guys have kicked a 50 yarder and that is a concern to me. Hopefully we will just score touchdowns and not have to worry about it.

Posted by naterob4

9:14 PM, Jun 13, 2008

Kelly Jennings fighting for a starting spot?? We could of drafted Devin Hester in the same spot!!! would of loved to see D-Hest do his thing at Qwest..I mean he can't play DB but accoriding to Danny either can Kelly Jennings, we got the wrong guy from the U...

Posted by commoncent$

12:49 AM, Jun 14, 2008

we will absolutely take 6 DT's this year, so Larry Tripplett will make the team. We'll make sacrifices at DB & LB to make it happen. We have been decimated at that spot for the last 3 yrs, Timmy is going to make sure it doesn't happen anymore!

I also think we'll only go w/ 4 WR's to make room for an additional RB (O. Schmitt) who can be used as an effect SP-teamer.

Posted by -Hawke

4:51 PM, Jun 15, 2008

What are the odds of swinging Weaver into the #1 TE position?

Posted by -Hawke

4:54 PM, Jun 15, 2008

Sorry Typo, that was supposed to be the #2 TE spot...

-Hawke

Posted by northamericanscum

7:37 PM, Jun 15, 2008

Anyone else worried about the WR position? Kicker scares me too.

Posted by Louis

6:48 PM, Jun 16, 2008

WR seems sound to me. I think the young guys (such as Obomanu, Kent, and Payne) will step it up. Kicker does scare me though. SHould have gave Josh Brown the money. We'll miss his game winning 53 yard kicks

Posted by Bixby23

9:10 PM, Jun 16, 2008

I don't understand how the initial depth charts are developed and how frequently they change, but I'm wondering why Matt Castello is currently listed as 2nd string in the MLB spot, right behind Lofa Tatupu (taken from the Seahawks website). I absolutely don't have a problem with it, as I was a huge fan of Castello in college (SJSU) and want to see him do well in Seattle, but nobody seems to be mentioning him, which often doesn't bode well.

Posted by Scott/Redmond

12:04 PM, Jun 18, 2008

As I look at this, it really hits home how badly Mike Reinfeldt messed up the team before he left. he's a great guy and has a sterling history, but ironically the year before he got his own GM gig, he made the biggest mistakes --- We signed Alexander to a deal we'll be paying off for years, whilewe let Hutch go needlessly due to a stupid mistake. We added Branch and Burleson at a great price and still have nothing to show for it. That one year's worth of mistakes will leave its footprint on the team for a long time to come.....

Posted by john

2:30 PM, Jun 18, 2008

WR is a big issue. We weren't deep last year and this year we are relying on TOTAL nobodies.

I'd like to see Forsett challenge mediocre maurice morriss. I think Forsett has way more big play potential.

Posted by asylem0606

12:22 AM, Jun 24, 2008

Dont forget how lofa tatupu got his job on 2005. Some guy named Jaimie Shaper ring a bell? I think that year sharper sounded great to me over lofa, then injury gave lofa the job and look what happened. I thought that Obamanu and Taylor showed some good stuff last year just as Hackett showed in 2006. I look for the suprise uprising in our wr positions,... but as everyone else, I think we should have placky kicking feild goals in practice.

Jun 20, 08 - 04:11 PM
Seahawks release three players

Jun 19, 08 - 11:44 PM
Hawks close to signing long snapper

Jun 18, 08 - 11:49 AM