Seahawks

Seahawks Blog

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.

E-mail Danny| Seahawks forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

April 29, 2008 12:31 PM

Owen Schmitt: The Lion roars

Posted by Danny O'Neil

We take a break from the scrutiny over Seattle's draft to offer the following unambiguous praise from the fine folks of West Virginia. Forty-eight hours after the Seahawks selected West Virginia fullback Owen Schmitt and I'm still getting e-mails like this one:

I'm a Mountaineer football fan, and believe me, Seattle got a winner when it picked Owen. He's a throwback to the 1950s and 60s tough-as-nails players.

That's an excerpt of a note from Patrick. Apparently, West Virginians are quite please with the Seahawks fifth-round selection. Consider this from Brenda Wotherspoon:

Owen is a legend at West Virginia and I'm sure your fan base will grow to love him as we have. He is truly special. It was great fun hearing over 60,000 Mountaineer fans screaming, "Oooooooooooooo, Schmitt!" every time he powered up the field.

Or from Travis Seals:

from a west virginian and a diehard mountaineer fan i would like to let you know your football team just got another fan!!! owen schmitt is the best football player in the draft. not only talent but most of all,heart. you will never ever meet anyone like the "runaway beer truck" owen

Posted by Patrick from Kent

12:53 PM, Apr 29, 2008

I loved this pick from the second it came through truly excited to have this man with us!

Posted by duce duce

12:58 PM, Apr 29, 2008

I really like this pick too. I like the description of a "runaway beer truck". That is hilarious. I think he will be best used in special teams and short yardage situations. I still really like Weaver and what he can offer too. For the first time in a long time I am looking forward to watching the pre-season games. It will be fun to watch these young guys duke it out. We should have some good position battles going on at wr, rb, fb, de, dt, cb, lg, and rg.

Posted by A Stern - The ass end of anything

1:03 PM, Apr 29, 2008

Well, it isn't spelled quite the same but I think I'll have to make my game day beer a Schmidt Sport Pack!

Posted by Alex A

1:21 PM, Apr 29, 2008

Oooooo Schmitt there goes the runaway beer truck. sounds like atee shirt waiting to be made.

Posted by pcbh16

1:56 PM, Apr 29, 2008

remember when we used to be excited about husky players in the same way? What happened to those days? Ugh, Outside of the Hawks, seattle sports are dismal.

Posted by Josh D in austin TX

3:21 PM, Apr 29, 2008

I can not wait until we start playing the games!

Posted by charles

3:41 PM, Apr 29, 2008

All you got to do is watch him run over people on the u tube clip. I cant wait to see this kid play!!!!!

Posted by Free Beer

4:57 PM, Apr 29, 2008

Run away beer truck....sounds like my kind of player, lol ! I just hope he doesn't get infected with this Hawks diseases, falling down behind the Line of scrimmage? I like the attitude, you may tackle me, but hurt you doing it, hope he can do it in the pros, kind of like Dr, Dan, here I come!

Posted by AZ Hawk

5:18 PM, Apr 29, 2008

I loved this pick the second I heard it, too! I don't recall if it was senior bowl practices or some other post season deal but it had all of the top seniors there and anyone who got in his way instantly respected him.

Our backfield can definitely use that!

Posted by JonnyFiveAlive

8:36 PM, Apr 29, 2008

As a WVU fan (and alum) living here in Seattle, I'll be the first in line to get the Schmitt hawks jersey! Break some facemasks Owen!

Posted by crazylegs

7:13 AM, Apr 30, 2008

I didn't know a thing about Schmitt when he was drafted but with everything I've read I think he will become a huge fan favorite. Special team stud! Great pick by the Hawks.

Posted by KJ

11:40 AM, Apr 30, 2008

Speaking of RBs, Is Shaun Alexander getting any interest in his services from other teams?

Posted by SpiderPig

12:04 PM, Apr 30, 2008

Here is a cool ESPN comic that they did about Schmitt.

Posted by The Emperor

12:20 PM, Apr 30, 2008

I love this pick! I have visions of Tom Rathman is Seahawks uniform. We can use some toughness on offense!

Posted by WVU 1

2:38 PM, Apr 30, 2008

Anyone who thinks you drafted a guy that will only contribute on special teams simply needs to watch some Youtube! Trust me, Owen will not be a special teams player for very long. Think Lorenzo Neal but bigger, naster, can catch a ball out of the backfield and run away from linebackers.

All you Hawks fans will soon understand that he's a special, special player!

We will miss him in Morgantown!!!

Posted by zach

Posted by Charlie

8:05 PM, Apr 30, 2008

You have to see Owen play to believe the stories you may have heard about him. They don't come any more humble,any more dedicated and any more give you all he has got and more. This young man will make you remember the old time fullback back 20 or 30 years ago but with more abilities to play in today's game. Tough as nails on the field with a heart as big as Seattle off the field. A quality young man that will play his heart out doing whatever it is you ask him to do. Congratulations Seattle on getting Owen Schmitt as an addition to your team.

Posted by mkjinx

8:08 PM, Apr 30, 2008

The better suggestion for you 2008 Hawks T-shirts would read:

SCHMITT HAPPENS!

Posted by Trevinator

12:45 AM, May 01, 2008

Just watch him run 50+ yards in the 2008 fiesta bowl right past the Oklahoma secondary! He's tough and loyal and I can't wait to wear my Schmitt WVU jersey to a Hawks game!!!

Posted by WVUDRU

5:59 AM, May 01, 2008

The Seahawks are going to be a championship team. Because they got a Champion, in Owen Schmitt. Truely a great fullback, that plays with emotion and heart. Which is hard to find now days. Just give the rock to the big guy!

Posted by Linda Newlon

6:34 AM, May 01, 2008

Just would like to Thank You for getting a great catch. We just love Owen here in the Moutain State. We are going to miss him a lot. He is a great asset to any team. We wish you all the LUCK Owen and good LUCK with your new team. We know he will do you proud!!!!

Posted by matthew35

8:28 AM, May 01, 2008

start OWEN

Posted by eastcoasthawkfan

3:48 PM, May 01, 2008

highlights start at the 3:28 mark.

looks like a tough son-of-a-beertruck.

Posted by wvu's gay

9:49 AM, May 06, 2008

owen schmitt is gay and is absolutly horrible!!! He sucks so bad!!!!

Posted by Wiley

11:26 AM, May 17, 2008

Ive been a life-time Mountaineer fanatic and a DIEHARD Seahawks fan since 3rd grade. The addition of "The Run Away Beer Truck" is a great addition for the team. Great locker room material. I'm flying out to Seattle for Nov 2nd to watch him play against Philly. Im killing two birds w/ one stone in watching my Seahawks for the 1st time in Seattle as Shcmitt will bust a couple face-masks.

Posted by Randy

12:52 PM, May 25, 2008

What "Sucks soo bad" is people like you that don't have any life whatsoever and stay on message boards to post idiotic statements.

What a loser.

Anywho... You've got a very nice player in Owen. The mans got some serious heart and will not let you down.

Posted by Pirate

5:26 PM, Jun 19, 2008

The Hawks just got another fan with the addition of Owen Schmitt. Dedicated, plays the game with heart and because he loves the sport. He was given his chance as a walk-on at WVU...and he proved himself. The Hawks just added some "zing" to thier arsenal. How about getting the Schmitt jersey's on the market....I want one!

Jun 18, 08 - 11:49 AM
Justin Forsett signs with Seahawks

Jun 16, 08 - 11:07 AM
Rocky Bernard's domestic-violence case continued

Jun 12, 08 - 01:05 PM
Analyzing the depth chart

Jun 12, 08 - 12:44 PM
More June camp wrap-up

Jun 12, 08 - 11:55 AM
44 days until training camp starts

Donate food for LeMay discount; tips to prep car for winternew
LeMay visitors can donate food to get a museum discount Throughout November, LeMay — America's Car Museum will offer a discount to those who don...