Seahawks

Seahawks Blog

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.

E-mail Danny| Seahawks forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

April 27, 2008 12:00 PM

Seahawks draft Owen Schmitt, fullback

Posted by Danny O'Neil

He's from West Virginia. Here's the link to his player profile on the NFL's official draft site.

The man's got a fiery personality. Just look at this YouTube clip of him whacking his own head with a helmet after botching a punt.

That's nothing, though. That's just Owen, friends said, according to this article about Schmitt entitled "Stupid Human Tricks." Here's an excerpt from the article:

Today he wears a Mohawk haircut style that is distinctly his own. You could call it an O-hawk.

Expect him to be a special-teams mainstay as president Tim Ruskell said that the later rounds is where special-teams becomes a real consideration.

Update at 12:29 p.m.: Schmitt conducted a conference call with Seattle-area reporters, and he sounds a lot more laid-back than the live-wire personality he plays with on the field. He does still have the mohawk, it's just no longer as shaggy as it used to be. Here's a Q&A excerpt from the conference call:

Q: Do you still have the mohawk?

Schmitt: Oh yeah, I have the shaved, business 'hawk now. It's professional now. I can't have all that scraggly hair.

Q: What if someone told you, 'He's a fifth-rounder, maybe he's got a chance he isn't going to make it?'

Schmitt: All I'm really looking for is a chance. The Seahawks gave me one, and I'll do my best to fulfill that role and play and compete.

Q: Did you get the shaved, business 'hawk before the combine?

Schmitt: I think I was just getting the hair all over the place. So I just through I'd trim it up a little bit, look somewhat decent.

Q: Can you do that when you have a mohawk?

Schmitt: You know, I'm an ugly guy so I don't think the mohawk is really the thing I have to worry about.

Posted by Louis

12:03 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Who in the world is Owen Schmitt?

Posted by seastud

12:05 PM, Apr 27, 2008

horrible pick,!! we needed an OT, RB or WR. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Posted by -k

12:07 PM, Apr 27, 2008

This mean Kirt Kittman is done in Seattle, and the Hawks needed a guy who can brlock for the Running game and play special teams.

I would have rather seen them pick up Mike Hart here. He's essentially TJ Ducket, but much younger and not injury prone. I would have really liked that pick, but as usual, The hawks pick a guy i've never heard of who will likely be way more valuable to the team.

Posted by FB???????

12:07 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Why didn't they take Hart the HB from Michigan?!!? Ugggggg! WTF

Posted by 3eyedsmiley

12:08 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Louis, at first I said the same thing, but I remembered that article about him on espn. Now, I am liking it a bit more.

Posted by GrantG

12:09 PM, Apr 27, 2008

I had the first initial reaction...noooooooo!

But I think you're going to love watching this kid play, if you haven't seen him yet. He is just a beast. This is the kid that kept breaking facemasks because he hits people so hard.

Posted by Eric

12:11 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Owen Schmitt is an outstanding pick. He is an animal and brings heart and desire to the team! He is a steal in the fifth round...

Posted by Husky Fan In New York

12:12 PM, Apr 27, 2008

I don't think this pick is so bad. ESPN scouts had him going in the 4th or 5th round and he'll obviously help on special teams. Weaver seems more of a runner/receiver while the scouting report on Schmitt sounds like he has nice potential as a blocker and receiver...this adds more depth and flexibility to the backfield while shoring up special teams.

A little surprised they didn't go for Carl Nicks because he had fallen. Have him back-up Locklear for a year or two and then when Walter decides to hang it up, move Locklear to left tackle and insert mammoth Nicks at right tackle. Maybe they are really high on Ray Willis and/or don't want to move him to guard if they drafted Nicks?

Posted by burg

12:13 PM, Apr 27, 2008

love the clips they just showed.. love him already!

Posted by GrantG

12:16 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Another thought...it's been noted that the hawks will be looking to shore up special teams, especially our return coverage. This guy will absolutely DRILL people on kick returns.

Posted by wes

12:17 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Absolute Perfect pick. This guy is Crazy SOB and knows how to hit, loves to hit, and wants to hit. I pity the sorry sack that has to block him on short yardage. Trust me A wonder pick

Posted by salemdawg

12:21 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Seattle's special teams took a hit with Niko and Bently leaving... this was the best player on the board and seems like a nice pick.

Remember, there are going to be June 1 cuts - there will be more chances to get WRs and possibly another lineman.

Posted by Thomas

12:24 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Looks like he's a throw back type of player. As much as I like Weaver, he isn't exactly your prototypical fullback. I'm sure he could slide into the HB position on occasion. Let's not forget that the WCO doesn't exactly need a 1,500 yd rusher. I think the combination of Jones, Duckett & Weaver will do for this year. I wish people would stop clamoring about drafting a RB or WR. Mike Hart isn't going to make a difference. Just because you have a need, it doesn't necesarily mean you draft for the position. It's better to draft based on value.

Posted by Big D

12:25 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Ruskell is looking to change the attitude of this team through the draft. Run blockers and short yardage madman. I love what he is doing. Heard Bryant on ESPN radio a week ago with John Clayton. Humble, respectful and mean. I can't remember the stat exactly but it was like "run at 90 times for a total of 47 yards last year". Schmitt's stated goal is breaking facemasks. 4 and 1's for Seahawks fans just became something to look forward to instead of fearing!!!! You can see Ruskell's draft strategy coming out and it is the attitude we have been missing.

Posted by WVUFAN1011

12:36 PM, Apr 27, 2008

YEAY SCHMITT!! Good for you buddy! An outstanding player and a heart of GOLD (n BLUE)!

Posted by Marques

12:37 PM, Apr 27, 2008

So, what did we have a problem with 3rd and short....or something? We need some toughness. BRING IT!

Posted by GoHawks

12:45 PM, Apr 27, 2008

I read this in ESPN the Magazine a year or two ago.

Posted by WVUFAN1011

12:45 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Posted by WVUFAN1011

12:48 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Posted by free beer

12:53 PM, Apr 27, 2008

This Schmitt seems to have this positive attitude that your going down not me, ya never know what you got until their in the mix! Heck with Schmitt you can bash him in the face and what's going to hurt, might piss him off, he's a big boy and I'm sure he'll get bigger in the pros's?

Posted by Tim S.

1:02 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Please take Brandon Cautu.

Posted by Bucs59

1:35 PM, Apr 27, 2008

My sister went to WVU so I watched their football team a lot. They love him at the school. Schmitt is tough and mean. He's a big reason why Slaton and White had big holes to run through. Awesome pick.

Posted by ajdaddy

2:00 PM, Apr 27, 2008

great pick. A killer. Ask Emmitt Smith about the importance of a good fullback. We're running a hybrid now, Leonard Weaver. Schmitt can also take the ball on 4th and 1. He's also going to be a special teams monster. Fast, nasty and big.

Posted by seachicken

2:09 PM, Apr 27, 2008

love the red bryant and owen schmitt picks, the only pick thus far that i wasn't stoked about was the one for Carlson, we could have kept the third round pick (which turned into Ray Rice the RB from Rutgers) and still have gotten a TE (either fred davis or martellus bennett) in the 2nd round where we were initially scheduled to pick). carlson, i hope you are better than your numbers indicate.

Posted by Mike

3:39 PM, Apr 27, 2008

This guy is a BULLDOZER!!!! He is going to open HUGE holes for Jones and Duckett. His nickname is going to be "Seadozer" after his first year with the Hawks! Oh... and by the way, he enjoys breaking facemasks!! GO HAWKS!!

Posted by MukilteoSean

3:49 PM, Apr 27, 2008

How could ANYONE have anything bad to say about the kid if you've seen any of his highlights from his days at WVU. Slaten and Pat White both think his is best at his job, and he his the "wildman" mentality that Seattle has lacked. He wants to hurt people, regardless of his own safety, Did you not see him beating his own head with a helmet ? Third and short will be a pleasure to see again. I'd liken his to a Mike Alstott. AMAZING pick

Posted by James

5:59 PM, Apr 27, 2008

I think this could be a great pick. He reminds me of Max Strong in his prime. He could also be insurance in case Jones or Duckett gets hurt. Weaver could slide over from FB to RB.

Posted by Frankthetank

7:09 PM, Apr 27, 2008

In an interview with Schmitt:
"(In football) where else can you hit somebody and not get in trouble?"
This kid and his mom went to different colleges and submitted a tape of his workouts, games, etc. and WVU saw something they liked in him. He was never recruited...simply a walk-on. Do a search on YouTube for Owen Schmitt, and watch his videos. The Hawks got a player for the ages. He's a legend at WVU.

Posted by Mike timmons

7:17 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Folks, our two season long, third and one nightmare is over.....solved, done.

A guy who broke thirteen facemasks in college, putting 'his face in the fan".

Great pick in a great draft for the hawks. Ruskell Rules!

Posted by Munch

7:26 PM, Apr 27, 2008

This is your best value pick---by far! I am a older WVU grad living in Michigan of all places--how ironic, huh? Anyway, this guy is of cult hero status in WV---he came from Fairfax, VA (DC area) and no one would give him a chance in D-1. Went to WI-RF and that coach told him to get out of there that he was waaay too good for D-3. Went to severa schools with his tapes with his mom and WVU gave him a chance---his jersey was the #3 seller behind Pat White & Steve Slaton---had his own t-shirt "Schmitt Happens". THis guy gives it his all EVERY PLAY....WV is Steelers Country, but I assure you that if he stays in Seattle there may be a few of us wearing Seahawk Schmitt jerseys! Watch this you tube video of how he is off the field---you WILL love him in Seattle. I will watch a LOT more Seahawk games on my DirecTV now that you got Owen!

Posted by wazzu

7:03 AM, Apr 28, 2008

Are Owen Schmitt Seahawk jerseys available yet? Why not? Someone get on it. This was our best pick of the draft.

Posted by abuige3677

8:29 AM, Apr 28, 2008

I'm a WVU grad, and I will be following Schmitt's career in Seattle very closely. He has more heart than any player I've seen, and the guy's as strong as they come. Seattle fans should be ecstatic over this pick. You've got a kid that brings it every down, and enjoys smashing people's face in. No joke, he broke like 13 face masks in practice. Practice! I'm a die hard Skins fan, but will be cheering Schmitt on in Seattle.

Posted by Slickeer

9:33 AM, Apr 28, 2008

Prepare to say Holy Schmitt. I will continue to wear my #35 with pride! The Seahawks have just gained a whole state worth of fans...

Posted by MooseJaw

11:11 AM, Apr 28, 2008

I watched a few games for W. Virginia and kept thinking to myself that this guy would be a great replacement for Max Strong.

I never thought he would be available this late.

He pounds people on blocks, can catch balls, has an attraction for contact and plays the game 110% every play.

Brian Bosworth was a bust with Mohawk. I guarantee Owen Schmitt will make us Seahawk fans forget about the Bos.

Next time this year, I think people are going to be talking about Owen Schmitt as one of the most valuable players on the Seahawks

Posted by Rod

2:31 PM, Apr 28, 2008

I saw him play in one of the bowl games. At the time, I said that I really wished Seattle could draft him.

I really like the pick.

Posted by Jimmy the greek

3:10 PM, Apr 28, 2008

In April, USA Today projected Schmitt as the #1 fullback and as a fourth to fifth round selection. He was reported to have maxed-out with a 385-pound bench press, a 640-pound squat, and a school-record 525-pound hang clean. He also was reported to have hang cleaned 425-pounds eight times. This guy is one tough Schmitt Baby!! Bring on September!!! GO HAWKS!!

Posted by Jeff Ross

3:29 PM, Apr 28, 2008

You'll love this guys heart, he is old school, he'd play for peanuts, tear your head off. I'm a WVU fan from way back, wish Carolina could have got him cause I live hear now. He can catch the ball as well. I feel sorry for your equipment man, he's going to be a busy guy with helmet repairs.

Posted by chesterlouie

3:41 PM, Apr 29, 2008

Make no mistake about it owen is the guy! i was born aned raised in seattle. Born at Burien General in 1964. Saw Jim Zorn make his first pass to largent.

I went to WVU. I eat and breathe this team. Make no mistake about it. They missed playing in the national championship by losing in the backyard brawl. They would have beated Ohio State.

Owen is a huge reason that slaton and White had big runs. I have watched this bull moose run over 4 guys with slaton holding onto his shirt as they enter the enzone.

Real deal!

He is the kind of player that goes unnoticed

Posted by casey(wvu)

11:02 AM, May 02, 2008

seahawks are lucky to get schmitt. he is a legend in west virginia. seahawks just got a schmitt load of new fans

Jun 4, 08 - 12:40 PM
Back to Kirkland's grass

Jun 4, 08 - 10:17 AM
Russo out, Shelton in

Jun 3, 08 - 03:09 PM
Floyd Womack absent from practice field

Jun 3, 08 - 02:30 PM