Seahawks

Seahawks Blog

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.

E-mail Danny| Seahawks forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

April 27, 2008 1:02 PM

Seahawks choose Schmitt, again

Posted by Danny O'Neil

It's not Owen, it's Tyler Schmitt, a long-snapper from San Diego State. He's 6 feet 2, 231 pounds. The Seahawks chose him with the 189th overall pick. Here's the link to his player profile from the league's official draft site.

Schmitt was one of two long-snappers to be invited to the combine. He just said that he's been snapping since fifth grade. He said he never could have foreseen that earning him a college scholarship or an NFL job.

The Seahawks went through three different long-snappers on the 53-man roster, starting with Derek Rackley, then Boone Stutz and finally Jeff Robinson, who finished out the season.

Here's an excerpt of his Q&A with Seattle-area reporters after Schmitt was chosen:

Schmitt: I've been talking to coach [Bruce] DeHaven for a while and Seattle was definitely, definitely a place that I wanted to go.

Q: So you knew about the problems they had last year?

Schmitt: Oh yeah, I knew about the problems. I was watching so I knew that was definitely a spot that was going to have an interest for snappers.

Posted by 2Tite4U FoSho

1:14 PM, Apr 27, 2008

!!!!First!!!!

Posted by chucky

1:17 PM, Apr 27, 2008

How do you pass on Lavelle Hawkins for a FB. I like the guy... but Weaver's got that spot on lock down and Hawkins has Steve Smith (NY Giants) potential out of the shoot?

Would have been a steal AND a pick for need... great combo. Pretty dissapointed with the Hawks haul overall at this point. Thought they passed on a lot of talent to make their picks... Carlson over Davis/Bennett? Could stayed put and gotten Carlson later. Oh well.

Posted by Sparticus

1:17 PM, Apr 27, 2008

I like this Schmitt along with the other Schmitt. Ruskell is a genius and is making the most of this draft. T. Schmitt never had a bad snap in the four years he started. Great pick.

Posted by Sparticus

1:19 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Chucky, I assume we will get a WR and K with our two 7th round picks. That's my best guess, but I ain't no Ruskell.

Posted by -k

1:20 PM, Apr 27, 2008

A bit high for a very light (230 lbs!) long snapper. Glad to see the Hawks value this need, though.

Posted by SeaHawker81

1:34 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Even though I think they have been pretty insane with a few of the picks, I do have to give Ruskell props for drafting players that will actually contribute this year. A lot of teams only sign a couple players from the draft, and I must admit, I think almost every pick that they have made, will at least be on the practice squad this year if they don't make the 53 man roster.

So far I'm stoked and I hope everyone else is too. Even though they didn't make any really sexy picks, they have gotten great value for the picks that they have made.

Good draft! A little crazy, but good.

Posted by mark logan

1:58 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Chucky ... not sure what you're talking about. If you mean Lavelle Hawkins out of Cal, he went at pick 126 to the Titans ... long before the Hawks picked the FB at pick 163. Could you expound on who you mean?

Posted by chucky

2:27 PM, Apr 27, 2008

I'm actually referring to Red Bryant (yet another D player) who was picked before Hawkins. That pick would have been better used on Hawkins... I still think you could have gotten Bryant later on instead of the FB if you really wanted.

It just seems that Ruskell is always trying to "outsmart" the rest of the league. No back-up QB's.. no RB's drafted...no WR's... just seems crazy to me that they didn't like any of the guys, when lots of other teams are snapping them up. I understand drafting D, but at some point don't you have to use a few early round picks on the 'skill positions'?

Posted by mickey

2:49 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Sorry Chuck. I can't see picking up a WR that is the same as all the ones we already have, except maybe not as good, instead of a big guy for the middle.

Guys like Hawkins are behind every tree once the cuts start.

Posted by Sparticus

2:51 PM, Apr 27, 2008

Chucky, we have enough WR (no WR's really stuck out in this draft), we now have a bunch of RB's and FB's and we shouldn't start thinking about drafting a QB until next year. Just because QB, WR, and RB are the most visible, doesn't mean they are the most needed.

Posted by salemdawg

3:24 PM, Apr 27, 2008

We did draft a RB...

Jun 4, 08 - 12:40 PM
Back to Kirkland's grass

Jun 4, 08 - 10:17 AM
Russo out, Shelton in

Jun 3, 08 - 03:09 PM
Floyd Womack absent from practice field

Jun 3, 08 - 02:30 PM