Seahawks

Seahawks Blog

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.

E-mail Danny| Seahawks forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

April 26, 2008 3:59 PM

Seahawks trade up in second round

Posted by Danny O'Neil

They selected John Carlson, a tight end from Notre Dame. Seattle used the 38th pick to choose Carlson. That pick originally belonged to Baltimore.

Seattle gave up its second- and its third-round picks to move up and select Carlson. The official transaction is Seattle gave up the 55th and 86th overall picks to move up those 17 spots to choose Carlson.

Posted by Jake

4:04 PM, Apr 26, 2008

There ! You babies happy now ?? They took a dammed good TE in the 2nd round and moved up to get him. Must be Ruskell isn't as big a prick as some of you claimed a half hour ago ! I love it :)

Posted by HENRY

4:06 PM, Apr 26, 2008

I HATE ND BUT GOOD PICK.

Posted by Palouse

4:08 PM, Apr 26, 2008

Ruskell gave up a THIRD round pick to move up in the second round for Carlson? That's alot to give up. Hope he's worth it.

Posted by hawksalltheway

4:09 PM, Apr 26, 2008

This is FRICKEN AMAZING pick and move by Ruskell. All those doubters out there, is this a bad pick?

Carlson runs awsome routes, catches the ball, is a good CHARACTER guy, and according to Steve Young he can block.

Mel Kiper even made the comment that we have a TE who can play. This is SOOOO exciting!! I am pumped!!!!

In my book, I think we a an AWSOME first day!!!!! WAY TO GO RUSKELL! MATT HAS his weapon across the middle. GO HAWKS!

Posted by JR

4:09 PM, Apr 26, 2008

Don;t know much about the dude from ND. Is he better than the guy from USC? Anybody?

Posted by Sparticus

4:10 PM, Apr 26, 2008

Excellent pick. Better than Keller or Davis or Shockey(character wise). This is shaping up to be another above average draft.

Posted by hawksalltheway

4:11 PM, Apr 26, 2008

JR--

In my book he's a hell of a lot better than Fred Davis from USC.

I've done my research and Carlson is going to be the guy that Hass has been looking for.

Posted by Jake

4:12 PM, Apr 26, 2008

All I'm saying is that all these naysayers who bitch and moan after the Jackson don't realize that there's ALL kinds of trades and crap going on. Any GM worth his salt is not gonna' sit back when he knows he has a major need' which in this case was TE. Give the man (Ruskell) a little time, he proved all the ones of you who bitched and moaned with the Jackson pick that he wasn't done yet. He's a quality GM, I have faith he knows what the hell he's doing !

Posted by js

4:13 PM, Apr 26, 2008

Both Carlson and Jackson were team captains last year -- at their respective schools; leadership and high character, baby.

Posted by JR

4:14 PM, Apr 26, 2008

Thanks...allthe way...

Maybe we can get a good WR still. Remember Hawk fans, we have a couple of young guys waiting for their turn. Like Hackett did. We'll be young at WR but OK. We do need O-Linemen. Our's are getting old.

Posted by Ryan P

4:15 PM, Apr 26, 2008

Jake you are right on. Idiots with no football knowledge actually said our D line wasn't bad on the other post. What a JOKE, our D line needs a ton of help and Jackson gives us a VERY STRONG DE (31 bench reps) that can hold up against the run. Now we have a good rotation at DE and all we need is to find a miracle at DT.

Carlson is a good pick but I must admit that I loved Davis' big play potential. But blocking is important also.

GO HAWKS!

QUESTION: Do we go with a RB next if either Charles, Rice or Smith is available?

Posted by BACHawkfan

4:16 PM, Apr 26, 2008

HE GAVE UP A 3rd ROUND PICK TO GET THIS GUY!!! He would have been available at the 55th pick! If not, you get Davis from SC who is a stud player that was in a few mock drafts 1st round! Now, we have no pick in the 3rd Round! We still need a WR, RB, OL, DT and K... good luck Ruskell! Now we only have a 4th, 5th, 6th and 2 7th Round picks!

Posted by Redmond Longhorn

4:18 PM, Apr 26, 2008

They must really love Carlson to give up a 3rd rnd pick to move up to take him. That is a lot to give up.

I would have loved to have gotten Doucet or Jamal Charles in the 3rd round, if either are still there. They won't be in the 4th (I don't think).

Posted by salemdawg

4:23 PM, Apr 26, 2008

Obviously the DID NOT think he would be there at 55. Giving up a third rounder to move up 20 spots seems about right if it's for the guy you want.

Davis has HUGE big play ability, but he's not a great blocker. He was a little too one-dimensional.

The chances that either Carlson or Davis would be there at 55 are slim, but we'll never know. They got one of the top 3 TEs in the draft - good for them.

Posted by Sparticus

4:23 PM, Apr 26, 2008

Does he get his own radio show and will he run for governor again?

Posted by salemdawg

4:24 PM, Apr 26, 2008

WRs are a dime a dozen - and they're a 50-50 success/fail rate.

There will be one there in the fourth if they want to go that way, but they also need some youth on the OL.

There will be some FA WRs after the June 1 cuts.

Posted by hawksalltheway

4:26 PM, Apr 26, 2008

BACHawkfan--

Your a negative person. This is a great pick and no he wouldn't have been available at 55! Do your F-ing homework before you speak you idiot.

My guess is that your a 14 year old who knows nothing about Seahawk football.

Quit being so fricken negative. Get off Ruskell's ass for crying out loud. This is great! We are a better team and we don't need a RB this year. We just signed two RB's who are not injured, play hard and are 26 years old. Then we got MO on top of that.

Man, the GM can't do anything right in the eyes of some people.

Posted by salemdawg

4:28 PM, Apr 26, 2008

Hey BAC - it's a good thing there are no players in rounds 4-7, right? sheesh

Posted by Jake

4:29 PM, Apr 26, 2008

Take a dammed chill pill BACH !

Have a beer and lose the attitude !!

The only guy I know who KNEW the Hawks was gonna' take Jackson was Mark Gaughan from the Buffalo, NY News. The guy's a genius :)

Here's a You Tube link on our first pick today

Posted by BACHawkfan

4:44 PM, Apr 26, 2008

I'd love to have a beer, but apparently I'm only 14 years old! Listen, I'm happy with the Jackson pick...not too bummed about getting Carlson...my big complaint is that we dumped our 3rd rounder for this guy. Seems a bit of a stretch to me....good player or not, I just question whether or not he is more valuable than picking the TE at the 55th spot (Carlson or Davis) and hanging on to that 3rd rounder (especially since we've been "talking" to Brohm....what's that about???).

Posted by salemdawg

4:49 PM, Apr 26, 2008

The Hawks need a replacement for Brohm - I'm sure it was a contingency if they couldn't get a TE.

I'd love to see Brohm in a Hawks uniform. Hass won't be around forever.

Who's to say that Carlson would have been there at 55? Maybe they didn't think Davis fits in their plans - they know more than we do.

Yes, giving up a third rounder was costly, but moving up 20 spots in the second round is going to be...

Posted by salemdawg

4:53 PM, Apr 26, 2008

Fred Davis gone at 48... Guess he wouldn't have been there at 55...

Posted by AZ Hawk

4:57 PM, Apr 26, 2008

Ruskell said he hopes to get 3 starters out of every draft. I've got to believe he's got 2 checked off already. We do need help in other positions but it is also imperative that at least some players are certain to contribute.

If you look at other teams, they're reaching right and left and we have 2 guys that will certainly make our team. We can still move into the 3rd round if needed but I'm guessing there's a list of players that we can wait on now, to fall to us as teams continue to reach, hoping that talent will result in production.

Posted by Ryan Leaf

5:03 PM, Apr 26, 2008

In my expert opinion this draft sucks. They needed a 1st round QB. They need to be thinking of the future. Hasselhoff's gettin old and tired. I mean look at the guy, Holmgren's had him pullin his hair out for years, now it's all gone. Seneca Wallace should be a starting WR. He just doesn't have the makings of a quality QB and team leader. Frye is gonna be sayin " Do you want fries with that " in his job at Burger King in a couple years. C'mon give Mora a chance when he takes over. Start developing the next QB now. Like they need another DE. They need OL. What a wasted pick at TE. Shockey's out there! They could have had Him. These " High Character " guys are grossly overrated. I never understood it myself. I've always been more of a " Me First, Screw The Team " sort of a guy.

Posted by Jake

5:14 PM, Apr 26, 2008

Your name sure fits your attitude. Go threaten a sportswriter and leave us " intelligent and reasonable " people alone. You don't know JACK !!!

Posted by alan

5:18 PM, Apr 26, 2008

we should draft DIXON or the QB from HI

Posted by Ryan Leaf

5:25 PM, Apr 26, 2008

Not too quick on the uptake are ya there Jake?

Posted by HawkNation

5:27 PM, Apr 26, 2008

The only reason to draft a 1st round QB is if Holmgren was going to be around for a couple of more years. If the Hawks want to draft one, they'll do it next year, under Mora's watch.

Posted by Jake

9:05 PM, Apr 26, 2008

I'm a hell of alot faster on the uptake that you'll ever be, you wannabe !!

People like you are those who ruin blogs like these, no one can have a civil chat on here without a**wipes like you !!!

Posted by Ryan Leaf

12:04 AM, Apr 27, 2008

Jake,
How does it feel to be the only person in the blogosphere who didn't get the joke? It was a little injection of humor to put things in perspective after a bunch of people here were complaining about the draft picks. I think that was obvious to everyone but you. It should also have been obvious that it was a sarcastic and humorous slam to Ryan Leaf. Everything down to the mis-spelling of Matt Hasselbeck's name was supposed to be funny. Hence the not too quick on the uptake line. i.e. hint, hint :) It never ceases to amaze me just how stupid some people are. The sad thing is my name is Jake too. O.K. wanna try again and tell me how much quicker you are? Sheesh!

Jun 4, 08 - 12:40 PM
Back to Kirkland's grass

Jun 4, 08 - 10:17 AM
Russo out, Shelton in

Jun 3, 08 - 03:09 PM
Floyd Womack absent from practice field

Jun 3, 08 - 02:30 PM
Under the lights of the Dempsey Indoor

Jun 2, 08 - 01:17 PM
Voluntary practice attendance

After 60 years in U.S., Ferraris still inspire lustnew
Ferraris don't emit fumes. They blast LeMans-inspired symphonies from their oversize exhaust pipes — flat, hard growls that swell to shrieking 8...