Seahawks

Seahawks Blog

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.

E-mail Danny| Seahawks forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 26, 2008 9:16 AM

Marcus Trufant agrees to terms on a contract

Posted by Danny O'Neil

Cornerback Marcus Trufant reached an agreement with the Seahawks on a long-term contract, agent Doug Hendrickson said.

It's a six-year contract that totals $50.2 million. There are $20 million in guaranteed bonuses in the deal, which will pay him $28 million over the first three years of the contract.

It's expected the Seahawks will have a press conference to announce the signing as soon as this afternoon. [9:50 a.m. update: Press conference starts at 1 p.m.

Update at 9:34 a.m.: The shape of the contract is becoming a little clearer. Trufant gets a $10 million signing bonus, a $7 million roster next season and $3 million roster bonus in March of 2010. Those are guaranteed. His salary in 2010 will be more than $5 million, but it's hard to imagine the team paying a roster bonus of $3 million in March and then letting a player go before the season starts. Effectively, Trufant is pretty much certain to see that $28 million payout over the first three years.

Posted by Jeff

9:27 AM, Mar 26, 2008

Fantasitc news. A little late in the Free Agency game, but we have a little extra room to maneuver now (not to mention having Marcus wrapped up for another 6 years.)

Posted by Chrome Dome

9:29 AM, Mar 26, 2008

It looks like barring any injuries that we should have a solid defense for a few years! Nice!

Posted by bozworth mcguire

9:29 AM, Mar 26, 2008

You want the Truf?

YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUF!!!!!

Posted by Southeast Seahawk

9:34 AM, Mar 26, 2008

Good, we have Lofa signed, now Trufant along with a couple of RB's, an OG, and a couple of former players are coming back. Now we need to sign a reliable clutch kicer which rules out Mare. Also need to pick up an OT and TE in the draft. Other than that, looks like will be solid for a few more years. Of course we're all holding our breath that now these players have signed big contract extensions, they don't catch the Shauna illness. Looking forward to the upcoming season!

Posted by Josh D in austin TX

9:34 AM, Mar 26, 2008

That was a good one boz! LOL This is great news! I can not wait for the season to start! GO HAWKS

Posted by -k

9:35 AM, Mar 26, 2008

this is great!!!!!

Unless i've done the math wrong, this SAVES the Hawks a bunch against cap! Now the team can sign a vet kicker to compete with the rook they're invariably draft.

All is good in Hawk-land today!

Posted by free beer

9:40 AM, Mar 26, 2008

I'm sorry but these sports guys just aren't worth that much money, thy get hurt so did I doing my job.
But considering the value of our dollar he's probably only real getting ten mill. He should ask for the money in UROS. Guess the prise of beer at Qest will go up now too! FREE BEER!

Posted by free beer

9:43 AM, Mar 26, 2008

Posted by samicajun

10:00 AM, Mar 26, 2008

Trade Shaun for Chad Johnson and we're set

Posted by Ben

10:07 AM, Mar 26, 2008

I was wondering when you guys would get your rears into gear. This story has been out since about 5:30 this morning. Good to see it in the same day however.

Posted by setht

10:44 AM, Mar 26, 2008

Paid way too Much for Trufant...He is not a lock down corner and is getting paid like one!!!

Posted by spitfire

10:47 AM, Mar 26, 2008

Posted by samicajun
10:00 AM, Mar 26, 2008
Trade Shaun for Chad Johnson and we're set

No way - Chad Johnson sucks - doesn't fit with Seahawks period! I hate his attitude problem - we don't need to bring that against our team

*thumbs down on Chad Johnson*

Posted by SeaHokie

11:12 AM, Mar 26, 2008

Pretty good week of good news. Maybe Danny oughta declare a "lull" in blog activity more often ;^)

Posted by free beer

11:44 AM, Mar 26, 2008

If these pros are worth this kind of money then the collage kids are real getting hosed with just a free education, with the same risk!

Posted by duce duce

11:54 AM, Mar 26, 2008

Chad Johnson does NOT suck. He is an elite receiver. He does NOT have an attitude problem. He just wants to win. Whats wrong with that? He would be a great fit for our team especially since we are a little short on wr's. None of his teammates have had problems with him. He is never in trouble. He works hard and plays hard. It reminds me of another Bangle who wanted to be traded and everybody said he had attitude problems and then he went to New England and played great and was not a problem at all. I would love to see him on our team, but there is no way they would trade him for Shaun.

And we did not pay too much for Tru. He is getting paid less than Hall, Clements, and Samuel and he had more picks than all of them last year. I think he got what he is worth.

Posted by pattapit

12:16 PM, Mar 26, 2008

duece duece...

since when are we short on WR's? our caliber for the ones we have are pretty solid.

Learn about it...

And Chad is a little flamboyant, while nobody had a problem with him, it's probably because they are all thugs in jail and think he's funny mouthing off more than anyone we've seen except TO.

Posted by duce duce

1:06 PM, Mar 26, 2008

Well, considering DJ Hackett no longer plays for us and Deion Branch won't be back till mid-season and even then won't be very effective and Bobby Ingram is getting really old then yes we are a little thin at wr. You are looking at Ingram and Burelson starting next year with Obamanu and Taylor as the 3rd and 4th. Those 2 guys have no experience and you could see when they stepped on the field last year that they were lost. That is not a good enough core for me. None of them are the calibur of Chad.

I agree Chad is flamboyent, but he is not T.O. He has never been in trouble and has never bashed a teammate to the media. If you have ever seen his interviews he is hilarious. His celebrations are original and entertaining. At least they were before the league took it away from him. He does not do anyting to disrespect the other team such as: standing on the star at Dallas stadium.

Learn about it....

Posted by Keith C

2:23 PM, Mar 26, 2008

Always a good thing when you keep for probowlers on the team for as long as possible. Too bad we couldn't do the same with Hutch.

Posted by Keith C

2:27 PM, Mar 26, 2008

Engram is sick...Look at his numbers from last season. When hes hot he's hot. Who cares if he is old, he plays the game better than a lot of WRs...shoulda made the probowl.

Hackett is replacable by obomanu...

Don't bash on Engram he is more solid than D-Jack ever was.

1 guy I miss is jurevicious. I doubt we will have WR problems with Matts accurate arm anyway. I hope whatever happens with the Tight Ends works out though.

Posted by Alan

2:40 PM, Mar 26, 2008

Why does Nate Burelson never get respect. I think he is great player and a wonderful attitude. He has played better than BraNCH or Hackett ever did. HE IS HEALTHY. I think we will be fine but I agree Bobby E had a good year and we need to get Branch healthy quick.

With More as the coach yes CHad johnson fits in with Holmgren forget it He will kill ChaD.

Posted by duce duce

2:40 PM, Mar 26, 2008

I love Bobby Ingram. He is an incredible receiver, but he can't play forever and he can't do it by himself. Until Obamanu and Taylor actually do something on the field I am not going to consider them to be legit football players. We need as many weapons as possible and if you think Chad Johnson wouldn't help our team you are a moron.

Posted by alan

2:44 PM, Mar 26, 2008

I am still worried about them cutting SA I think is going to have a huge year with our new OL. The pick ups of RB was a joke we should have invested in the Draft for one and let MOMO and SA go one more year. Pick up a new center VET to block up the middle.
As for kickers don't waste money on Mare he can't cick in our weather. Look at a North West kicker who can kick into the wind.

Posted by Kev

2:50 PM, Mar 26, 2008

Good job!! Actually I'm slightly to the right of optomistic on this one. My only concern is that I hope this past season wasn't your typical contract year season. I'm wanting to believe that his success was based more on finally having at least decent safeties behind him which allowed him to be more aggressive. Regardless..thanks Seahawks!!

Posted by pattapit

4:06 PM, Mar 26, 2008

I agree and think that Nate Burleson is our best talent, best attitude, work ethic etc. Put him with Engram, and we just need a sprinkle of talent to fill it out. When branch is healthy, we will be dominate, but like previous poster, we will be more than alright without him ala Matt's arm.

Chad Johnson will help any team he's on, athletically. But I don't see him getting along with Matt's work ethic, too cocky for Holmgren, etc. NOT A GOOD FIT.

I think that SA will be better with a better line also. NO RUNNING BACK (excluding LT or BS) could do good behind last years line. expectations were too high for a hurt back behind that line. He has given us his all his whole career, let's see what he can do healthy, with a line.

I vote NW kicker

Posted by oogie

4:21 PM, Mar 26, 2008

Great move. Tru has improved last year under Mora and being able to trust the safties. That is what has allowed him to improve the the previeous season.

What do we do with Shuan? There is NO way we keep him now, he had some great years, but he would be a cancer after the addition of the two RB's.

I am not to enthused about adding JJ and TJ a slight upgrade over SA. I blame the line for the poor running game the last two years. Hopefully whale helps and Simms and Spencers improves.

Posted by spitfire

9:28 PM, Mar 26, 2008

Ok (enough about Chad Johnson) - he doesn't FIT with Seahawks - end of story..

Anyway I'm happy about Trufant BUT *scratching head* why didn't the deal happened while ago before the need to use franchise tag ?? If the deal was made before then - we could have use the F-TAG on Josh Brown? He has the golden foot - he can kick despite the snapper issue until we found our homegrown guy (Robinson) - hope he can return back next season? I heard he's done..

But done is done.. *shaking head with disappointment to lose Josh Brown*

Posted by Mike timmons

9:39 PM, Mar 26, 2008

I am on the fence on this one. I do not think bill belicik would have signed tru. He probably would have signed lofa. There are just positions that have to be rewarded, and ones that should not be.

This is a salary cap intensive game. Mike Holmgren is not a master of the salary cap.

There is a reason the Patriots are the gold standard, and that reason is they are fearless about cutting really good players for salary cap reasons.

I am a season ticket holder, and nothing about these signings points toward a super bowl this year.

Posted by duce duce

9:28 AM, Mar 27, 2008

The Pats were stupid not to keep Samuel. They will pay for that one, figuratively. I think the extension for Lofa and the signing for Tru are the best moves we've made all offseason. Our D is going to be very good for the next several years.

Posted by Maranda Richmond

9:46 AM, May 21, 2008

I just wanted to send a letter to Marcus Trufant because ever since a little bit after High School we lost contact until I seen him at last seasons game against the Chicago Bears (When we beat there asses 30-20) and I really miss my friend. Marcus like I told you when I seen you I'm very proud of you congradulations on the wedding and me and everyone miss you guys very much. Also tell Isaiah and your mom (Auntie Bit) your dad (big pimpin' is he still wearing those coo' ass pimped out suits)? little D' (who by the way looks like he could be your twin now) and tell him congradulations on the long jump placing first I seen him in the paper doing US WIlson Rams justice, and tell Vinny and Deedee that the family misses all of you and give me a call sometime (253)-539-1354 so we can catch up and tell all of the Seahawks I besides Dad and Mom are their biggest fans keep up the good work and start turning around more to see the ball when covering someone so you can make even more interceptions. Love always and forever your friend Maranda Richmond P.S. We go all the way back to the playground days so ya betta call or write back or something "K"

Posted by Maranda Richmond

9:51 AM, May 21, 2008

I wanted to send a letter to Marcus Trufant cause ever since a little bit after High School we lost contact until I seen him at last seasons game against the Chicago Bears (When we beat there butts (30-20) and I really miss my friend. Marcus like I told you when I seen you I'm very proud of you congradulations on the wedding and me and everyone miss you guys very much. Tell everyone hi (Auntie Bit, yo' dad, Isaiah, Lil D, Vinny, Deedee, etc) call me so we can catch up 253-539-1354

Jun 4, 08 - 12:40 PM
Back to Kirkland's grass

Jun 4, 08 - 10:17 AM
Russo out, Shelton in

Jun 3, 08 - 03:09 PM
Floyd Womack absent from practice field

Jun 3, 08 - 02:30 PM
Under the lights of the Dempsey Indoor

Jun 2, 08 - 01:17 PM
Voluntary practice attendance

LeBron James plugs Kia K900; Tesla Model X delay likelynew
(Kia) LeBron James teams with Kia Basketball star LeBron James has partnered with Kia to promote the K900, the brand's first rear-drive luxury sedan. ...