Seahawks

Seahawks Blog

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.

E-mail Danny| Seahawks forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 10, 2008 8:33 PM

Alexander's agent: We will talk with Seahawks

Posted by Danny O'Neil

Jim Steiner, Shaun Alexander's agents, spoke with the Associated Press on Monday night.

"We're going to have some discussions with the Seahawks in the next few days," Steiner said to the AP. "It will be about the running back situation there."

There was no comment on whether the Seahawks asked Alexander to restructure his contract and no further information.

It's no surprise that Alexander and his representatives would be talking to the team about the next step, but this is the next domino in the chain of events that began in earnest when the team agreed to terms with Julius Jones on Friday.

Stay tuned.

Posted by commoncent$

9:23 PM, Mar 10, 2008

many say we can't get a draft pick out of him. However, my thought is this. Trade trufant and SA to New England (who desperately needs a corner and wouldn't mind a goal line back) for a 1st and 3rd round pick. This gives Seattle a high draft pick (to slide down in the draft, while picking up additional picks most likely a 2nd rounder). They could take an RB in training with the first pick (mendenhall or stewart) then draft Cromartie with the 2nd pick. Filling both a corner and future RB pick. All while increasing picks (2nd and 3rd round picks) to take TE, OL and DL. Filling their immediate needs. Most importantly, they get young while freeing up a ton of cap space to attack the market next year for holes that need to be filled in the FY09 campaign.

Posted by No.12

9:37 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Interesting theory, but wouldn't NE have met Assante Samuel's contract demands rather than have to negotiate a similiar contract with Trufant? Also, I don't see New England's need for a RB. Maroney gets them yards when called.

Posted by Roger Goddell

9:49 PM, Mar 10, 2008

NE also lost their 1st rounder via Spygate. So that trade wouldn't work.

Posted by NJ Hawk

10:31 PM, Mar 10, 2008

did you see what their 1st round pick is? Roger, go look at the draft order. NFL penalty does nothing. Even a better pick now.

Posted by T-Hast12

10:31 PM, Mar 10, 2008

All I have to say is seeing Shaun in another team's jersey is going to make me sick. He needs carries to get going and always has, both sides know he won't succeed in a split backfield. Hate to see it come to this but that's the NFL.

Posted by Loren Reisig

11:23 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Let the one hit wonder go....with his ego, his pay check, and the sidelines! I am tired of hearing about him being the man, when he was the "season" episode one (and done). He got his money. He spared his frame. And he walks around like it was all his fame that won the big games. ENOUGH is ENOUGH.
Cash in at the bank, collect 401k's...and let the Seahawks hand the ball off to a guy who got 500 yards last year. YEE HAW...boy am I excited about what the Hawks are doing in the off season! Is Franco Harris available???

Loren

Posted by Miika

3:53 AM, Mar 11, 2008

All the time is talking only about SA, not a single word about MoMo and his future. I think it might be good time to draft one more Rb and get rid of both SA and MoMo, J. Jones competes with new kid of the starter role.

Posted by chris

8:44 AM, Mar 11, 2008

If he is injury free at the begining of the season, he deserves at least one more shot at the starting job. Seattle owes him a chance. However he should be on a short leash. The Hawks should give him the respect of being injury free at least to evaluate him to see if he can be productive again. I think he can make a comeback. I always liked him.

Posted by duce duce

8:56 AM, Mar 11, 2008

Do you know what bothers me the most?

Its people who never paid attention to the Hawks until they went to the super bowl. And now they think they are experts.

Loren- you obviously are one of those people if you think Shaun was a one hit wonder. Can you please provide us a list of every running back who averaged 1500 yards and 20 touchdowns for 5 straight seasons. I am curious to see how long that list is.

And to everybody else: If you are going to talk sh!t about Shaun can you at least spell his name right. I see it way too often in here and I know this isn't the forum with the most intelligent of bloggers, but he deserves some respect. He has done a lot for our team.

Thank you.

Posted by chris b

9:45 AM, Mar 11, 2008

My feeling is if he has anything potentially left in his tank the coached would know. If there is doubt he should be given another chance. We all know money motivates Shaun and he's really facing a massive loss of money and with all the backs in place his back is up against the wall, pun intended. This may as well be a contract year.

Conversely if it's just physical as opposed to mental he should be released. The Seahawks are probably going post June 1 so they can sign their rookies.

Posted by muffinman

11:24 AM, Mar 11, 2008

Wow Loren, you are an idiot - please do the world a favor and stop breathing.

Wow, just wow... I'm speechless.

Posted by Ziasudra

11:42 AM, Mar 11, 2008

To duce/duce - if you want some respect,clean up your language.

Posted by duce duce

12:27 PM, Mar 11, 2008

I am not asking for respect for me. I don't really give a sh!t what you think of me. Respect what Shaun has done for our team. And if you are offended by one little word, I suggest you get over yourself. Life is too short to be offended by one word that wasn't even directed towards you. Unless you were one of them talking sh!t....

Posted by mutt

1:22 PM, Mar 11, 2008

Shaun stays, he stays, if not, adios!

Posted by Bud

1:25 PM, Mar 11, 2008

I agree with duce! Respect the guy who got 1800 hundred yards and was the league MVP! He has lost a step and he is soft, who cares! He deserves a graceful exit, and I hope the Seahawks give him one.

I think Commoncent$ comments would work in the video game Madden, but not in real life! It would be amazing, but would never work... unfortunately

Posted by GLRules

2:47 PM, Mar 11, 2008

The Pats 1st rounder was taken, but the 1st round pick they got from a trade with SF(?) is PRIME. They're not going to give that up for Tru and Shaun.

'Hawks obviously see other needs in the draft that RB, or don't think a quality back would be available in the mid-20s. What do they need? Every team in the NFC West has been built to beat them: bigger D-line, bigger WRs and RBs, and new coaches in the past 4 years. So Big Blue's gotta build for Holmgren's last run, and the future.

Even if he DID have a fantastic line those years of big #s, he had to run through or past the other 9 guys not being blocked. Shaun's been great, but the past 2 years he's been a different RB. No question. I think he needs a fresh start. Sad to see him go, and he deserves more respect, but this will either force him out or light a fire under him.

Jun 4, 08 - 12:40 PM
Back to Kirkland's grass

Jun 4, 08 - 10:17 AM
Russo out, Shelton in

Jun 3, 08 - 03:09 PM
Floyd Womack absent from practice field

Jun 3, 08 - 02:30 PM