Seahawks

Seahawks Blog

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.

E-mail Danny| Seahawks forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 10, 2008 10:01 AM

Alexander the great or Alexander the gone?

Posted by Danny O'Neil

Steve Kelley's column in Monday's paper tries to put Shaun Alexander's Seahawks career in perspective given the new additions to the backfield and the distinct possibility there might not be room for him next season. A link to that column can be found right here.

All last season the need to upgrade their running game was as obvious as a toothache. At Alexander's expense, they've addressed that need this winter.

Eventually, the official announcement will be made. A news release, which will read like a Dear John letter, will be written. Alexander's name will crawl across the bottom of the screen on all of the ESPN networks.

Poof! He will be gone.

Julius Jones was a rare free-agent signing because news of his agreement was almost more significant because of the indication of who the Seahawks might be losing. That's Alexander. Now, there's been no indication that there's a decision in that regard. There's no timeline for when that decision would even be made. There are no roster bonuses in Alexander's contract, no date when a check would come due and prompt a decision. Any salary-cap relief the Seahawks could receive from releasing him wouldn't take effect until June 2.

Posted by No.12

10:51 AM, Mar 10, 2008

I wanted to see Alexander break 10,000 yds as a Seahawk this season-- I think he just needs a little more than 500 yds to hit that mark.

In any event, I just hope the whole situation is handled professionally by all parties.

Posted by lmo

10:53 AM, Mar 10, 2008

its all but final and it will be a sad day in seattle when its one and only MVP is released to any taker. Weather its an AFC or NFC team that picks him up they will be my 2nd favorite team

Posted by jb

10:54 AM, Mar 10, 2008

Having an over-paid feature back like Shaun is not necessary. Look at the fact that only one team with a rushing title runner has won the Superbowl in the last 20 years. And look at the two teams in the Superbowl this year--Can you name their running backs?

Why are we paying Jones so much? Is he that good? Just get a low-paid guy like Ryan Grant. Running backs are a dime a dozen. Drafting Stewart or Mendenhall would be a waste of money. Stewart is injury-prone anyway.

The offensive line is abysmal and needs all the attention. Drafting a stud tight end should be the number one priority. Draft some more O-line and D-line in the later rounds. On offense, a great quarterback, a great O-line, and decent receivers and running backs who can catch will take you far in this league.

Posted by lmo

11:07 AM, Mar 10, 2008

for every shaun theres 50 ron daynes and to see the one and only mvp seattle has had get pushed out the door for a younger version is the way of the nfl but it wont keep me from shedding a tiny tear... maybe

Posted by david1978pdx

11:22 AM, Mar 10, 2008

Thank you, Shaun! Enjoy retirement!

Posted by Michael.Steffes

11:31 AM, Mar 10, 2008

If they want to do right by Shaun, they should release him now, so he has plenty of time to find a new job.

Posted by anon

11:36 AM, Mar 10, 2008

Superbowl Runnings backs:

2008: Moroney and Jacobs
2007: Rhodes/Addai combined for 190 rushing yards and Jones (Julius' older brother)
2006: Alexander and Parker/Bettis
2005: Westbrook and Dillon

I'll agree that an offensive line is key and that a feature running back isn't the key to a championship. However, I think it is pretty clear a good experienced running back is needed. Jones is a good addition and an Alexander/Duckett/Jones backfield is the step in the right direction.

Posted by Ken Brown

11:36 AM, Mar 10, 2008

I know Shaun hasn't been very good as of late and I know he is overpaid, and I know he is broken...but I do not want to let him go. Did Largent get cut when his numbers dipped? Granted Largent is a god among men but I have a special place in my heart for Shaun, he helped make my team respectable and I thank him for that. When I took my wife to her 1st Seahawks game he ripped off a 44 yard touchdown run much to our delight. He torched the Raiders on National TV and put the ghosts of Bo Jackson to rest where they belong! I think Shaun will use this bad press to become better and possibly shock the NFL! Please Seattle do not cut Shaun he will rise up!!!!!

Posted by Southeast Seahawk

12:12 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Like many here, I appreciate what Shaun has accomplished and the role he played in bringing our Hawks to a certain level of respect in the league. Unfortunately this is the NFL (Not for Long) and it is "what have you done for me lately." The ride was nice, 2005 magical, but this is 2008. The time has come.

Posted by Keith C

12:35 PM, Mar 10, 2008

There are a couple Alexander jerseys on sale in the Seahawks pro shop at seahawks.com...Whenever players show up in there it usually means they are heading out. Brown's jerseys are in there. It has been a trend over the past few years that I have seen in the offseason.

Boy if he leaves I hope he doesn't get picked up by the NFC west.

Posted by nature

12:56 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Danny (or anyone) what kind of salary cap relief are we looking at?

Though he currently may be overpaid he was underpaid as our only MVP. So he deserves his money.

Why would we cut him when we could trade him? It seems like someone would cough up a draft pick even if it is only 4th round or later.

Posted by commoncent$

1:01 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Like others, i appreciate what Shaun has contributed. However, his self-righteous arrogance has taken a lot of fan appreciation away. I can't wait to see his arrogance leave our field of battle (Qwest field that is).

Posted by tom

1:56 PM, Mar 10, 2008

jb...um can you say brandon jacobs who is a great runner and i would trade for him in exchange for shaun and a second round pick if that were on the table.

Posted by Mike

2:34 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Get your Shaun Alexander fathead now when there cheap. Regular price was $99.99 now it's $19.99.

Posted by Patrick F.

4:10 PM, Mar 10, 2008

I think Shaun is still a capable back, with a decent line creating space to run. Unfortunately last year, he didn't have that. His contract makes it necessary to release him or trade him, since we have two new running backs.

I'm sad to see Shaun go, after turning the Seahawks into a contender, but he's older now and less capable of being a feature back. It's probably the best move the Hawks could do, but it will still be sad to see Shaun in a different uniform.

Posted by JJ

4:17 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Screw Shuan. I don't care what he did in the past. I have absolutely NO respect for players who only play for their fat contract....then once they get it...quit on the team and fans. He's nothing but a bum.

Posted by 12thmanforlife

4:31 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Wow! He quit, huh. So, when he broke his foot, that was him quiting? When he broke his wrist, that was him quiting too? Exactly when did he quit? With the way some of you dumb ass fans treat a hall of fame calibur player I am surprised he hasn't came out and said something. Actually, I am not because he is much more of a man than you will ever be and he probably won't stoop to the levels of morons, but I can't say you don't deserve it.

Posted by S Stephens

4:36 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Sadly, I must agree with "JJ". Although I like Alexander, we'll survive without him and he'll survive (and maybe thrive) without us (the collective "Seattle" when I say 'us"). He was paid well when he was here and he did very well - to everyones benefit. No one player does a franchise make or rely on. See ya...

Posted by Keith Ciborowski

4:57 PM, Mar 10, 2008

It is interesting to see the contracts formed as a result of the past few years with the seahawks...Look what is happening...Brown signs the biggest kicker deal ever, and alexander signs the largest running back deal ever in 06 (may not still be the largest). What is it with the Seahawks guys wanting so much money. I mean to some extent they are worth the money, but on the other side, it is interesting to look at it this way.

I don't know everything about Alexander's contract, but when he signed it in 06, I was sure we were going to see him in a Seahawks uniform for his whole career.

Hawks def need backs to compete in the nfc west. Gore, jackson, and james are all great running backs. Shaun was slowed down last season with the cast on his good arm. Wish he could give it another go with the Hawks, but it looks like he will be moving on.

Strange things are happening in Seattle in the next 2 years Seahawks wise...A new great era will begin, or all of our work will be left in the past in the holmgren era. I still think Matt has many years left in his tank as long as he enjoys playing.

Posted by Sparticus

5:06 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Ok, let me ask everyone what happened in the first regular season game after the Super Bowl? Anyone remember...Shaun "bruised"/broke his foot. Since then he has been plagued with injury after injury. So it's only evident that he is going to be worse than in 2005 when he was healthy. The question becomes, "If Shaun gets healthy again, what can he do? (especially with a line that seems to be improving)"

I think it would be foolish to let Shaun go right now. He deserves one more season to show us what he's got. A season where he stays healthy and has a decent line (think about how much more Hasselbeck has been sacked since 2005). The only caveat is if he currently isn't healthy and doesn't show signs of improvement with his foot (which I think still bothers him and may be why he has been falling down more often than not). My hope is to see him for at least one more season in Seahawk blue. He deserves to be our #1 back for one more year.

Posted by HBumpty

5:43 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Alexander will end up on another team, and as a pro he'll suck it up and give them some good years. He's got a lot of pride. People will wonder why Seattle let him go - but the truth is we can get a good-enough RB for much less.

Anyone know what is the scoop on Mo Morris with these two other guys coming in?

Posted by Sparticus

5:56 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Shaun is gonna have a 1500 YDS, 17 TD season this year...but not as a Seahawk...just watch.

Posted by zach

6:06 PM, Mar 10, 2008

Im as big as fan of Shaun is their is out thier. When my dad, uncles, brothers, everyone ripped him last year , i would always say watch out his game will come and the funk will be over. Facts are facts, as a RB your number decline after the age of 29. We signed him to an 8-yr deal at the age of 28 so thats on Ruskell for taht . Dont blame Shaun for taken his money. I would love to see Shaun step up to the plate and take a pay cut for the team. Maybe us brining in 2 new RB's (one which is 27 and in his prime, and the second for one reason 3rd and 1's)
Remember when Shaun won the MVP he was 16-16 on 3rd and 1's taht year. we were 2for 17 last year. and not all 17 were from Shaun( 3 for weaver 3 for mo) One more year is waht im asking for from Shaun PLZ RUSKELL

Posted by zach

6:14 PM, Mar 10, 2008

The man is a HOF no question about it. HE is not an MVP anymore. What happens if Shaun put these numbers up next year : 1200 Yards , 12 TD's 4.3 YPC

Everyone would say he would be out of his funk but look at Shauns Career those would be lows for Shaun. Something obviously isnt right with the dude and we have been patient with him, he has gotton SUPER SOFT. But the dude can play, he isnt a 94 SPEED on MADDEN anymore LOL he is like an 85 but you know what that means is their is speed and he knows how to cut back on defenses. GIVE HIM THE EFFIN HOLES TO RUN THROUGH. Look at MO's runs he had holes, was it something against SHaun because he was scared to get hit last year. Was the line SAYIN EFF u Shaun. maybe. When you have never been hurt in your entire career and you suffer a BROKEN EFFIn ankle after your MVP year, your mindset will chnage, o and a broken wrist , these arent sprains people broken body parts key to his game. Sean is this kind of runner:
-Cutback Runner
_Stiff arm Runner

The dude broke BARRY EFFIN Sanders record of consecutive games with atleast a rush of 10 yards

GIVE ME A BREAK HATERS , JONES AND ducket are perfect competition for him , Morris will always be a 65-70 RATED player in my eyes Shaun is still an 82 atleast DO not let him go to the AFC east with the Bengals, he would be done with those defenses .

PLZ RUSKELL PLZ SHAUN DO IT FOR SEATTLE , WERE ABOUT TO LOSE OUR MOST HALLOWED FRANCHISE

Posted by Nick

7:46 PM, Mar 10, 2008

This is what Seattle needs to do. I love Shawn but it is time to relize our O-line is not as good as it once was. Shawn got the MVP because he had Steve Hutch and Walter Jones. It is time for Seattle fans to relize that Shawn is good when there is a open hole for him. He is not good at making something out of nothing. Jones was the best move by Seattle this offseason becasue Jones can run faster. And plus Jones can make something out of nothing. This will give Matt more options in the pass game and give Jim Mora JR something to work with as soon as he takes over as coach

Jun 4, 08 - 12:40 PM
Back to Kirkland's grass

Jun 4, 08 - 10:17 AM
Russo out, Shelton in

Jun 3, 08 - 03:09 PM
Floyd Womack absent from practice field

Jun 3, 08 - 02:30 PM