Seahawks

Seahawks Blog

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.

E-mail Danny| Seahawks forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

March 3, 2008 3:46 PM

Brown: "Once I hit the market, I knew I was going to have to go somewhere."

Posted by Danny O'Neil

Two years ago you could measure the difference between the Seahawks and Rams by a foot.

Josh Brown's foot to be precise. He kicked a last-minute field goal in each of Seattle's two victories over St. Louis in 2006.

Free agency pitted those two teams against each other. At least it seemed that way. But Brown said Monday afternoon that his departure from Seattle was sealed when the two sides failed to reach an agreement before free agency began.

"We told Seattle would never have the opportunity to match once free agency began," Brown said Monday in a telephone interview. "You have a certain allotment of time. If you want me badly enough, you’ll get it done. And we’ll stand by that."

Brown was more clear in explaining the differences between what Seattle offered and what the Rams did. St. Louis offered a $4 million signing bonus. The Seahawks offered a total of $3.8 million in bonuses, but that wasn't one lump sum, but rather it was spaced out.

He called coach Mike Holmgren to explain what it would take to get him to sign. The team came back with a proposal to Brown and it seemed like the sides were approaching a deal. The bonuses remained split up, though.

So he went to the free-agent market.

"I left because it wasn’t coming out the way I thought it should have and I got the ultimate decision," Brown said.

And once he got to the open market, the Seahawks didn't hear from him again.

"Once I hit the market, I knew I was going to have to go somewhere," Brown said.

The two sides tried to agree on a long-term contract last year. They never reached one, Brown instead signing the one-year tender as Seattle's franchise player. He made more than $2 million last season.

Posted by charles

4:05 PM, Mar 03, 2008

Josh you never wanted to stay I just hope you break a leg on the opening kick off in seattle.

Posted by Michael C.

4:10 PM, Mar 03, 2008

I already knew how big of a douche bag Ms. Brown was, but this interview just confirms that he's just a piece of human trash. The guy can't even speak in complete sentences...nice grammar...did he drop out of school?? What an arrogant piece of garbage this guy is. Brown, you're KICKER.....a KICKER????? A KICKER like you getting 14 mil??? Was your game losing miss at Washington a couple years ago worth 14 mil??? Or was it your multiple misses in the Super Bowl?? Please let me know you punk. You kick a ball for a living....wow, I'm so in awe of you man. Ruskell was out of his mind in the first place to even offer anything near 14 million.....A KICKER PEOPLE!!!! Bottom line is....Brown...you're nothing but a pathetic, greedy, low-life piece of white trash who just spit in the face of the organization that made you what you are (whatever that is). I wish nothing but 5 years of pain in St. Louis, and can only hope you get your leg blown off in a hunting accident. At least you'll be able to afford to live in a nice trailer park in St. Louis. Also, people....stop comparing this jerk to A-ROD.....yes, we all know AROD is a jerk too, but he was offered 252 mil (152 million more than the Mariners offered)....so who would pass that up??? Brown left for a difference of 200K.....just scum. Fo F%&# yourself Brown

Posted by Julie

4:17 PM, Mar 03, 2008

Hey Josh, don't let the door hit ya and all that kind of stuff. Have fun sitting at home in February of '09 when the Hawks are in the Super Bowl.

Posted by charles

4:19 PM, Mar 03, 2008

I hope it was worth it brown you better bring a body guard to seattle you scared piece of sh#@. You just became the most hated football player in seahawk history. We are true fans and will never forget I wouldn't pi## on you if you were on fire.

Posted by free beer

4:23 PM, Mar 03, 2008

What a que ball, oh well what goes around comes around, maybe his boy friend will leave him for a tight end?

Posted by usesomelogic

5:27 PM, Mar 03, 2008

Are you kidding me Josh? You're not a big superstar you arrogant SOB. You're a kicker and an average at best kicker at that. Sure you had some good moments here but so have a lot of kickers who played here before you. You can be replaced in the 7th round of the draft (sometimes undrafted). Go enjoy playing in the dome and I hope to see you get layed out by Will Herring on your first kick off to your former team. I'd even like to see a good roughing the kicker penalty just to remind you of where you came from.

By the way, no need to change your nickname because I still believe you'll be the Ram Killer, by taking up valuable cap space and missing the field goals that a Jeff Wilkins would have made.

Can't wait to see your replacement whih will cost this team $400k per year.

Posted by seafan#1

5:42 PM, Mar 03, 2008

I get really sick of pro athletes sometimes. They seem to have this idea that if they don't get the money they want, then the team is dis-respecting them. What a croc. They completely lose perspective that they are getting paid a LOT of money to play a sport. Just because one team can't afford everything up front, doesn't mean they don't respect your talent or want to sign you. Hutchinson pulled this same crud, and this just puts Brown in that same category with me.

Posted by SeaHokie

5:54 PM, Mar 03, 2008

Methinks the adulation of 2006 went to his head. He wasn't quite as golden for us last year. Here's hoping he'll be more copper-like in STL.

Posted by No.12

5:58 PM, Mar 03, 2008

We should start a fundraiser to pay for the roughing-the-kicker fine for one of the rookie special teams guys this season. Although I like the image of Will Herring or Lance Laury laying Brown out on the FieldTurf clean in the open field better!

Posted by Realistic

6:32 PM, Mar 03, 2008

You are all a bunch of whiners. If you had a better job offer...you would leave too. Do your homework & actually read up on why he left before crying like little bitches. hutch left for the same reasone.

Posted by JSMANTOOTH

6:34 PM, Mar 03, 2008

The Rams gave a $4 million bonus to a kicker? HAHAHAHAAHA.. Same ol' sorry a** Rams!!

Posted by retcoa

7:27 PM, Mar 03, 2008

Tell me an offensive guard is going to win games the way Brown did. The hawks pay a offensive lineman who is almost over the hill way too much money. He may be a kicker but I can remember when the Hawks would have lost some of those games because their kicker didn't make them. Some of you probably don't even remember Efren Herrera who was a kicker and probably made less than $100,000 a season. In the 70's an offensive lineman was lucky to get 50 to 60 thousand. Now look what they get. Millions. I feel sorry for the old retired players who made hardly nothing compared to today. Go Redskins. Go coach Smith

Posted by Thomas

8:18 PM, Mar 03, 2008

becoming the HIGHEST PAID KICKER IN FOOTBALL just wasn't enough for Josh Brown!?!!??

we don't need that kind of drama queen on our TEAM any-damn-way... that's not our style...

Posted by Mark WS

10:54 PM, Mar 03, 2008

What a bunch of pansies! No class fans. Josh came on the air and gave an interview why he left, he didn't duck one bit. At least he manned up. The only head-shaker here is how he feels the financial market balancing is up to the team, not the players. He claimed cash flow issues was why the team wouldn't give him the up front money. To me, this shows he is not a team player by helping his team mates adjust their payouts to get better players on board. Josh, you can't take it all at once and pinch your team mates if you want to put the best team on the field each year. Good luck in the non playoff years.

Posted by bbbbb

12:08 AM, Mar 04, 2008

Seattle hates Josh Brown! I hope he knows this! Josh hope you break a leg. Maybe Both!!!!

Posted by T-Hast12

1:08 AM, Mar 04, 2008

Josh Brown has the Chinese character for "douchebag" on his kicking foot and he got beat up while stalking his ex-girlfriend in college. How did we not see this coming? Why did I ever cheer for this clown? Every man has a price and his is a 2% raise I guess.

Posted by AZ Hawk

4:57 AM, Mar 04, 2008

He got his money up front. He should have the cash to host the upcoming Seahawks Super Bowl party.

I'm not nearly as upset about this as many of you. We now have more $$$ to spend on upgrading other areas of the team. I agree that we never should have offered $14M in the first place but he seemed to be a "fan favorite" so I'll bet the organization wanted to give it a good faith effort without ruining the team's cap.

Posted by Ziasudra

6:20 AM, Mar 04, 2008

This is a tempest in a tea pot - he left. End of story. He is/was not worth all this angst. He's replaceable for a lot less money. We do not have to hate him, he didn't cripple the team. Just ignore him.
Oh, yes, Hutch did contribute more, by getting the Hawks in position to score 3 or 7.

Posted by Ed R.

6:56 AM, Mar 04, 2008

Bye-bye, Josh. Enjoy the regular season next year, because that's the length of time you'll be playing. I hope that dome is solace for you when you find yourself playing for a bunch of losers.

Oh, and don't miss your kicks, ever, because you just got a lot of money, and the fans there will expect you to make each and every one. No excuses.

Posted by charles

7:55 AM, Mar 04, 2008

Hard to believe Randy Moss has more class than josh., but he signed for less to stay in ne. second I just read that tru wants to structer a contract to about 6 mil i cap room this year and is less than samuals if that is true finally some class from him do it Timmyyyyyy!

Posted by Jacob

8:34 AM, Mar 04, 2008

As a Colts fan, from Indiana, I can tell all you Seahawks supporters to keep your heads up. I root for the Seahawks to be in the Super Bowl every year, and guess what, it just got easier. Take it from the Colts. We got rid of our "idot liquired up kicker" and we won the Super Bowl the next year. The Seahawks will be better for this. I might look at Mike Vanderjagt though, because I think he has sobered up and become better. Just a thought. Go Hawks!

Posted by delair65

11:29 AM, Mar 04, 2008

Congratulations, Josh Brown. Your name has now joined the ranks of such Seahawk luminaries as Brian Bosworth, and Ken Behring.

Posted by dr_gonzo

11:40 AM, Mar 04, 2008

What's with all the hate? Josh did some great things for us, and let's not forget about that. The way he left might've been the result of an inflated ego, but I think we should realize that this kind of attitude is only going to get him nowhere in the future. Josh is probably the best kicker in the NFL, true, but the Rams just played to his ego by throwing him another $4 mil in signing bonuses.

Besides, I'd rather keep guys like Trufant and Tatupu any day over any other kicker in the league.

Posted by Ken

2:01 PM, Mar 04, 2008

He is not yet in the ranks of Bozworthless or that fat bald owner who wished he was ghetto but Mr. Brown you are a kicker and only a kicker. You made one tackle last year and no it was not worth 14.2 million dollars. You kick and as I last checked you miss every once in a blue moon. You may have won some big games for us but you are not the bread and butter you think you are. As a matter of fact you are so not important in the realm of football that you can't even rank in the hall of all that suck with the Boz....he really crippled us, you can and will be replaced by a one bar wearing fat goalie from scotland. Mr. Brown enjoy your cash, your dome, your legions of inbred Lamb fans and enjoy losing you will not be missed....soccer midget.

Posted by Trubblefinder

2:38 PM, Mar 04, 2008

A lot o' you guys are taking this way too personally. He was a good player for us and one of the better kickers in the league. But he wasn't worth the franchise tag last year and definitely not worth the cap hit that STL contract would have given us. Along with the clutch kicks that he made, I can recall a number of critical balls doinking off the uprights or cross bar as well; Redskins game for example.

It's more sensible for the Hawks to put that money to work where it will help our running game or to get a reliable TE in here.

Josh had to run his mouth on the way outta town? That's his problem. Let him go.

He's gonna learn the REAL meaning of a pressure kick next season when he tries kicking in Seahawks stadium as a %$#%# Ram!

Posted by Chingo

2:39 PM, Mar 04, 2008

Josh Brown has $14 Million reasons to just keep his mouth closed. You should've left it at "it's all part of the business." Now you try to play the victim.

Jun 4, 08 - 12:40 PM
Back to Kirkland's grass

Jun 4, 08 - 10:17 AM
Russo out, Shelton in

Jun 3, 08 - 03:09 PM
Floyd Womack absent from practice field

Jun 3, 08 - 02:30 PM