Seahawks

Seahawks Blog

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.

E-mail Danny| Seahawks forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

February 29, 2008 5:24 PM

Report: Josh Brown to the Rams

Posted by Danny O'Neil

FSN Northwest is reporting kicker Josh Brown has agreed to terms with the St. Louis Rams. The terms were not disclosed.

Update 10:50 p.m. This post should have included a mention of Q13 (KCPQ), which also reported Brown's agreement with St. Louis. It was actually Q13's report that I first heard, but when I checked the station's Web site, it had a link to a story crediting FSN Northwest.

In the Internet era, when news scoops can last only a matter of minutes, I think it's important to provide proper credit. So with that in order, here's a full day's worth of acknowledgment.

KJR-AM's Dave Mahler reports on Friday morning Brown informed him via text message he would not be returning to the Seahawks.

KING-5 later confirms that report with Brown sending them a similar message.

FSN Northwest and Q13 (KCPQ) report Brown's indication he reached an agreement with the St. Louis Rams.

Subsequently, that deal was confirmed and indications are he signed a five-year, $14.2 million contract that includes a $4 million signing bonus. It is the largest deal ever for an NFL kicker.

Posted by Big Wil

5:45 PM, Feb 29, 2008

If this is true, Josh Brown is a traitor! Seriously, all the good will he earned by making big kicks, GONE. This community embraced Brown and he rewards us like this? You think they'll wear JB jersies in St. Louis? I hope he has fun not making the playoffs. I do appreciate all he did though, too bad money makes people to stupid things. Go Hawks, how about a little Alge Crumpler action? No need for fieldgoals when you score TD's every time down the field!

Posted by dblog

5:47 PM, Feb 29, 2008

Oh, he just had to go to our rival.

Posted by alexander_37

5:55 PM, Feb 29, 2008

dont let the door hit u on the way out

hutch jr.?

Posted by it's now time

6:04 PM, Feb 29, 2008

wouldn't Moss look good in seattle blue?

Posted by James

6:17 PM, Feb 29, 2008

JB thank you for the memories, but really the Rams? Out of the entire NFL you chose to go to the Hawks rivals b/c of a few hundred k? I understand wanting to be close to home, yet at the same time you gave up on something great. You could have been a Edgar, a Mack Strong, but oh well. Get used to the view from back there and for your name to be linked to another money man we dont care for, Alex Rodriguez. I'm going to boo you like hell from my seat when the Rams come back.
That said, lets use "Browns money" and get a great TE!!

Posted by fish93

6:19 PM, Feb 29, 2008

So we lose Brown, what about signing Rob Bironas to an offer sheet. The comp price is a little steep at a 2nd round but he has one of the strongest legs in the league. He might not be a bad get if you can live with the price.

Posted by free beer

6:59 PM, Feb 29, 2008

I rather see our kicker have hair, lots of it!
Maybe there's a number of players and coaches not wanting to play or coach under Moha, get it when the gettin's good?

Posted by The Ackley

7:04 PM, Feb 29, 2008

Where is Softy when you need him>

Posted by Tommy b-button

7:33 PM, Feb 29, 2008

Josh Brown can take his heated turncoat pants and stuff them!! How greedy can one guy be? To turn down being the highest kicker in the NFL? Then go to a rival teams for a few pennies more? They can have him and I hope he breaks a leg! Literally.

Posted by tg3me

7:38 PM, Feb 29, 2008

Josh Brown wanted to closer to his true love.

Sheep

or Rams

or maybe he goes both ways

Posted by MaverickUW

7:43 PM, Feb 29, 2008

Such great timing, it happening so fast. I think the Seahawks should pursue tampering charges against the Rams... they clearly have been talking when the teams aren't supposed to talk to free agents still under contract. Heck, maybe Seattle can get a St Louis 1st day Draft pick out of it

Posted by 84Hawk

8:18 PM, Feb 29, 2008

who cares? i'm glad we didn't give a kicker $14 million. what was ruskell thinking offering that much? i'm glad we can save that money and use it for a more useful position...like a tight end.

we can draft a good kicker in the 5th or 6th round..don't worry, we'll be fine there. Josh Brown is kind of annoying anyway and for the guy to give up a big contract to play for a great team in a great city for the greatest fans, he's a coward...let him go!

Posted by slacktied

8:22 PM, Feb 29, 2008

that breaks my freaking heart. THE RAMS!!! WTF!??? and we were even willing to pay him vinatieri money...I agree with what others have said he could have lived in lore, like a Largent, or Edgar, or Cortez Kennedy, instead he's a traitor. I am beyond disapointed in Josh, I thought he was better than that. TRAITOR!!!! If this is true, you are dead to be Brownie. Oh, yeah and you choked in the Super Bowl. (if this is untrue, I subtract all the things I said, josh you rule)

Posted by CharlieS

8:27 PM, Feb 29, 2008

5 years 14.2 million. 200K more than the hawks. what a slap in the face!

Posted by MontpikeMike

8:30 PM, Feb 29, 2008

Not that big a deal. I'm not much of a Brown fan, he was inconsistant this year.

Posted by Keith C

8:42 PM, Feb 29, 2008

Peace Djack, Peace Brown...

To our division rivals. This may be the season the NFC West teams all come out fighting...Not the safest thing to give your kicker who is great to a team you play twice. Redskins are turning into seahawks jr. too.

The deal I heard seattle offered seemed fine to me...Oh well, he missed some kicks this year anyway (probably snappers fault) if he is gone I hope he chokes on all of his kicks. Being in a dome wont hurt though.

The Seahawks are really changing...When I was first a fan (the year holmgren came over) I knew what is in store for us for the next 9 years once kitna was gone. Now with Mike leaving, Hasselbeck aging, and key players leaving...I am feeling weird. I hope Hasselbeck plays as long as favre is/did.

Posted by QB adj

9:33 PM, Feb 29, 2008

OMFG, y go 2 st louis?????
enjoy losin Brown!!!!!!!!

Posted by No.12

10:02 PM, Feb 29, 2008

Josh Brown-- former Seahawk hero turned traitor.

Josh Brown-- The Enemy. A turncoat on his Seattle teammates and the fans who wore his jersey and cheered him like no other kicker aside from Adam Vinitieri.

Josh Brown-- now persona non-grata in Seattle, and one of the most hated men at Qwest Field once a year for the foreseeable future.

Josh Brown-- what goes around comes around, three-fold. Ask Isaiah Kacyvenski about his great Rams success. May every clutch field goal from here on out for you sail wide right, fall just short, or shank no-good off the upright. You honestly deserve no better.

Josh Brown-- you represent the greed, the spite, and the despicable side of blind pride of the overpaid NFL player.

Josh Brown-- you could have been in the Ring of Honor, now you've erased any goodwill or remembrance you fostered with the City of Seattle forever!

Posted by uffda3113

10:22 PM, Feb 29, 2008

Great fans Seattle! Way to show class to a key player during the Seahawks playoff years. So, he went to another team for more money ... which of you are going to take a $200K cut in pay? If only you were as good of fans as you think you are.

Posted by Patrick F.

10:23 PM, Feb 29, 2008

What a sellout. He deserves a big pay, but that deal is ridiculous for a kicker. I liked Brown, but he can be easily replaced.

I guess he no longer wanted to kick winning field goals for a contender, instead to play for the NFC West's worst team.

I hope he gets relentlessly booed, upon his return to Seattle, because he deserves it.

Posted by mrselruiz

10:26 PM, Feb 29, 2008

Josh Brown is washed up! He can go to the Rams and be errogant; maybe they will give him his own show.

Posted by No.12

10:31 PM, Feb 29, 2008

I hope Brown gets his butt planted through the FieldTurf at Qwest when he runs Rambo-style downfield to cover his short kickoffs this season.

Posted by No.12

10:48 PM, Feb 29, 2008

By signing with the Rams, Josh Brown may as well have joined Al-qaeda as far as I'm concerned!

As Josh Brown will learn about the 12th Man-- "No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy!"

Enjoy your new team, Benedict Brown!

Posted by SAMOANA253

11:35 PM, Feb 29, 2008

str8 dirty....just another huctinson....>>>>TRADERS

Posted by MJ

12:18 AM, Mar 01, 2008

14 million for a damn kicker?!?!?!?!? Is Ruskell and the Rams on crack????? NO WAY in hell is Josh Brown worth even half that. I am incredibly happy the Seahawks didn't keep him...whata waste of cash for a bald headed prick. Yeah, he made some clutch FG's in some regular season games....but anyone remember his Super Bowl performance???????? Anyone???? Talk about choking. Good riddance you bald bastard. I hope you blow out your knee on opening day you piece of trash.

Posted by No.12

12:47 AM, Mar 01, 2008

You think Brown had to perform under pressure before-- now for $14.2M with $4M guaranteed, anything less than 100% accuracy will draw intense criticism!

Have fun "choking" on your new found bounty, Brown!

Posted by BigGame

5:45 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Who can blame him? Nobody wants to live in Seattle. He probably misses the sunlight but most of all wants the chance to win a championship.

Posted by Saltherring

7:08 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Hey, Brown, hope you enjoy counting your $$$ with the rest of the losers in the "6-10 and no-playoffs" St. Louis cellar.

Posted by Skito

7:40 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Who is the Seattle kicker? Oh thats right you won't need one if you get Algicide Crumpler and Shawn Alexander tearing it up this year.

Posted by Joseph

7:46 AM, Mar 01, 2008

The contracts seem identical, yet everyone is overlooking a big point of difference = The Rams play INDOORS on TURF! Why did Vinateri leave the Pats? To play INDOORS on TURF! With contracts not guaranteed and NFL cuts, Josh Brown signed where he can have the best chances to play out the entire contact, with less risk.

I wish he stayed in Seattle, but its not about loyalty its about longevity for kickers. One slip on the wet turf at QWEST and his career could be over. He signed where he has the best chances to earn the full contract.

Don't kid yourselves about it. This is probably his last contract and went where he has the best chances to earn it all and not leave millions on the table because of an injury risk playing in an outdoor stadium in a rainy city.

Posted by Hawks Fan

8:04 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Out of the 3, what two would you want to keep? Locklear, Trufant or Brown?

The Hawks are better off signing a young kicker for much much less and keeping the millions for other signings.

I liked JB and wish he stayed, but any time you get your rival to dish out the "highest contract ever" for any position its a win for a different reason.

Posted by Little Wayne

8:19 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Sorry to see JB go. Sure, he lost a few games but that is more a comment on the whole team than just JB, should not have been in that situation. Overall, the 'hawks were a better team with JB and he will probably not be our first loss with our current cap situation and Tru is no help there (or is that his agent). The Rams were just tired of losing games to JB and the only way to defend against him was to hire him. At least he will take a good chunk of their cap money with him.

Hope JB gets lots of FG opportunities with the Rams. If he is kicking FGs, they are not in the zone!

Posted by Skito

8:27 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Josh Brown ,yoursavior kicker will not be the last good young player to go. Great free agent kickers that will play for free are everywhere. Your front office only had a year to work out a deal. Give Sloth Alexander another raise! Remember howgood he has looked since one of your other players named Hutch left the swamp.

Posted by No.12

8:39 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Potential Brown replacements from this year's draft include:

1. Arthur Carmody, Louisville
2. Alexis Serna, Oregon State
3. Brandon Coutu, Georgia
4. Taylor Mehlhaff, Wisconsin
5. Shane Longest, St. Xavier
6. Piotr Czech, Wagner
7. Garrett Hartley, Oklahoma
8. Jeremy Ito, Rutgers
9. Parker Douglas, South Dakota State
10. Connor Barth, North Carolina

Posted by Eugene Husky

8:41 AM, Mar 01, 2008

JB, you WERE a good guy. But leaving a team that drafted you, offered you the highest contract ever for a kicker, and a team that took you to the Super Bowl and playoffs every year you were here? And then go to our rivals?

Can't wait to boo the hell out of you, man. You are what is wrong with professional sports--greedy and no loyalty. Enjoy kicking in your warm little dome in that ugly city. We'll be whipping asses in our swirling wind and rain, sipping on our mocha's and laughing at the karma that will kick you in the ass!!!

Posted by No.12

8:51 AM, Mar 01, 2008

I think we should get Serna from Oregon State. He has a strong leg and has experience kicking in NW weather.

Serna was 5/5 against the Huskies in 2007 with a 51 yarder, and hit a 55 yarder at UW in 2004.

Posted by Keith C

9:15 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Yea...I am glad we didn't drop 14 mil on him. I can't wait to pick up some fresh meat and free agents. On to the building!

Posted by thunder67

9:26 AM, Mar 01, 2008

I hate to see Josh Brown go, but he obviously felt now was the time to move on. It's part of the business. We haven't had issues with former Ram Grant Wistrom signing with the Seahawks or former 49er Julian Peterson; so why call Brown a traitor, just because he signs with a division rival. Happens all the time.

That being so stated, I am really curious as to why he goes anywhere for virtually the same money he would make by staying in Seattle. That's the only thing that doesn't make sense to me.

Will we miss him? Maybe not as much as we think. It seems to me this past season, he missed more field goals than in previous years. In 2005 (with the exception of the Washington game), practically any time he came on the field, at any distance, you were almost certain he would put three on the board. Last year, I was nowhere near as confident.

The Patriots were just fine after Vinatieri left. There are others out there. In fact, if you look at the Hawks history, you see that they have brought in little-known kickers in the past such as John Kasay, Rian Lindell and Josh Brown. Last I checked all are pretty good, and were replaced in Seattle by someone that was pretty good.

I have a great appreciation for what Brown accomplished with the Seahawks, but now might be the time not just for him to move on, but the Hawks as well.

Posted by free beer

10:01 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Goah Josh, may all your Rams field goal attempts be really lonnng ones! The USAF is looking for men like you....in France.

Posted by SmileguyInNY

11:07 AM, Mar 01, 2008

I moved to NY state in 1995; still a big Seahawk ana Mariners fan. I'm a little lost as to why Brown would do this for what appears to be very little money. Was it the size of the bonus? I thought he loved Seattle.

Posted by vietmac

11:33 AM, Mar 01, 2008

thanks for all the great kicks, but i think josh brown is very foolish. the difference being 200k is minimal....and he actually lost money from what i can see. each team that makes the playoffs gets a playoff bonus. over the next 2 or 3 years at least i dont see the rams making the playoffs and i see seattle being a contender every year during that span. so...josh, your ego may have gotten the best of your business sense. in summary, you took potentially less money to not have any shot at going to the superbowl during the next several years. good luck in nfl pergatory!

Posted by Bud

12:36 PM, Mar 01, 2008

I forget, how many pro-bowls did Josh Brown make? I don't understand the move at all, the rams are a sub-par team and will be a sub-par team next year. Brown will probably make the pro bowl next year since the rams can't put the ball in the end zone. I am nervous about the 49ers and Cardinals. But the rams suck!

Posted by 84Hawk

12:37 PM, Mar 01, 2008

What we need to be talking about here is why in the hell was Ruskell offering $14 million for a kicker when we have other large needs and a tight salary cap?

Tight End, more depth at CB, O-Line depth (we still don't have a RG...Gray is done people...), WR with Hackett leaving, a big DT. We have plenty of needs, I just don't get the big offer for a kicker. There were plenty of great kickers that were rookies last year - the Packers is one example.

I'm getting worried about Ruskell's decision making lately...

Posted by logosgnosis

1:33 PM, Mar 01, 2008

Bottom line; Brown is a dooche-bag. I loved the guy while he was here, but that is just a slap in the face. The difference between guys like Peterson and Wistrom is that they left BAD situations where they wouldn't get the same money - whereas Josh and Hutch left a great situation for the same amount. RETARDED and despicable. They screwed their teams. They turned their backs on their teams and their fans. What else is there to say? Lots of people want to live in Seattle - it is a world class city. A beautiful city. A modern city. St. Louis and Minnesota? They are back-ass-wards and becoming more obscure by the second. What is there? Nothing. 200K is negligible, especially considering that no matter where he plays, he will not play out that contract. Huge contracts in the NFL are almost never completed - the player gets cut or re-structures the contract, that is just how it works. Do you really think we intended to pay Shaun Alexander for 8 years? He wont see the end of that contract, especially on a bad Rams team that doesn't need to be paying a kicker that kind of money.

That said; lets PLEASE re-sign Hackett with that money and see if we can't get Crumpler too!

We already have a stocked O-Line: Walter, Wahl, Spencer, Sims, Locklear -with Wrotto, Willis, Womack, and Gray backing up.

We can now sign a K, TE, and probably our own WR with that money. At least the cap situation isn't SO crowded now...

but Brownie... you broke my heart; traitor. What more could you have asked from us?

Get Hackett back and Crumpler in, and I'll forget all about your greedy ass though.

- Adam

Posted by Skito

1:53 PM, Mar 01, 2008

Maybe you can get an old te that kicks field goals. Hope you have fun watching...wide right, wide left ohhhhh.... he missed it.

Posted by MJ

2:12 PM, Mar 01, 2008

I'm lovin' all the comments on this topic of douche bag Brown....seems like we all agree on this one...and share the same feelings. Brown is a greedy traitor, and no way is he worth 14 mil (Ruskell should have never offered him that much inthe first place!!). The 2 positives out of this are:

1) Frees up money to sign other important players (would love to keep Hackett-great size and great hands)

2) Maybe with Brown gone, Holmgren will emphasize getting the ball in the endzone more while in the red zone, instead of settling for 3 points-which he loves doing. How many times has Holmgren had the chance to put a game away, and instead, settle for 3 points by brown?

Good riddance Brown....go screw yourself....you're nothing special...just another dumb kicker who can easily be replaced.

PS. Thanks for misses in the SuperBowl...you really stepped up in the biggest game ever played. I'll be there when you show your face at Qwest....and can't wait to see our special teams knock you out

Posted by ryjames06

11:59 PM, Mar 01, 2008

As much as I respect you Josh for your countless game winning field goals and big heart, I am even more disappointed in your decision to sign with a division rival. It's RIDICULOUS the amount of money they are paying you. You obviously did not want to stay here where you were loved more than any kicker in the league. I'm getting pretty disgusted. You players say fans have no loyalty or respect when you are booed for poor performance, where is the loyalty when it comes to the fans that have made you who you are? Where is the loyalty Josh to the fans that made a KICKER one of the most popular players on a team filled with stars? You should have signed with ANYONE other than a division rival. Because now, regardless of the great things you did in the past, most of the 12th man will greet you as a Ram and greet you accordingly. So long sucker, see you in the playo......... never mind.

Posted by SA

8:44 AM, Mar 02, 2008

When you figure Missouri has a state income tax JB might have actually taken less money to sign with the Rams. Unless the Hawks offered a much smaller signing bonus JB left Seattle for other reasons.

Posted by Skito

11:38 AM, Mar 02, 2008

Your beloved Ram killer has just turned into a chicken plucker....sea chicken. Coach is going to retire, no money,no kicker ,no tight end, soon two less lb's. Josh took the job of another great kicker that retired. Enjoy your memories of Josh.

Posted by RamFan67

4:38 PM, Mar 02, 2008

As a Ram fan, I'm happy that we replaced Wilkinson with a quality kicker, but embarrassed at the price tag. I feel other fans like myself will expect immaculate place kicking results for such a hefty salary-- otherwise the Rams just look like free agency fools.

Really, as long as we have Scott Linehan as head coach, the kicking game won't win us games but may be the only points we put on the board. Our front office is in disarray, we can't sell out our stadium and local TV blackouts have become the norm. We way overspent on Bulger, who has shown himself to be a true china doll after the payday. Our defense has more leaks than the Iraqi Army intelligence division. Oh well, I'm predicted a 6-10 finish for my Rams this season at best. Too bad you guys locked up Jim Mora, I was hoping he'd be our next head coach!

Posted by Jawood

8:12 PM, Mar 02, 2008

You just wonder sometimes how much these guys really care about winning? To go to a 4-12 team for a few dollars more makes me wonder!

Posted by Becky

12:31 PM, Mar 03, 2008

Josh Brown is not a traitor. The Seahawk administration were *idiots*. Josh Brown kicked us into the playoffs the season before last, and what thanks did he get? A freaking *year* contract.

That's gratitude for you.

So when the Rams instantly stepped with a five-year contract, they obviously meant business.

And oh yeah, I bet you they'll wear Brown jerseys in St. Louis, if only to taunt Seahawk fans.

I need to get a Seahawks one before they're gone for good.

Jun 4, 08 - 12:40 PM
Back to Kirkland's grass

Jun 4, 08 - 10:17 AM
Russo out, Shelton in

Jun 3, 08 - 03:09 PM
Floyd Womack absent from practice field

Jun 3, 08 - 02:30 PM
Under the lights of the Dempsey Indoor

Jun 2, 08 - 01:17 PM
Voluntary practice attendance

LeBron James plugs Kia K900; Tesla Model X delay likelynew
(Kia) LeBron James teams with Kia Basketball star LeBron James has partnered with Kia to promote the K900, the brand's first rear-drive luxury sedan. ...