Seahawks

Seahawks Blog

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.

E-mail Danny| Seahawks forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

February 19, 2008 12:09 PM

This week for the Seahawks

Posted by Jose Romero

Let's start by tempering all this talk about Alge Crumpler. Not to burst anyone's bubble, but Seahawks GM Tim Ruskell always prefers to build through the draft and supplement through free agency, so that would lead me to think that any impact player the team seeks will come from the draft. Also, while Crumpler has Seattle connections with his former coach, Jim Mora, here and his older brother Carlester a former Seahawks tight end, other teams will inquire about his services. Here's one, apparently -- the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

It's a wait-and-see thing at this point.

The Seahawks have other concerns. They must designate a franchise player by Thursday -- if they choose to do so. That title belongs to K Josh Brown for now, but if the Seahawks can sign Brown to a long-term deal by Thursday they can get the tag back for possible use on CB Marcus Trufant. Or, who knows, they can sign both and have the tag for yet another free-agent-to-be. Or maybe they won't get either one done, but I don't expect the deadline to pass with nothing done.

This is also NFL Combine week. I have gone in the past but won't be this year. It's pretty interesting: Lots of coaches, scouts and executives walking the halls around the RCA Dome in Indianapolis. And of course the college prospects. The most memorable of those that I recall was 49ers DT Isaac Sopoaga, who walked into the media room wearing shorts, flip-flops and a straw hat with the top cut out of it for his hair to stick out. It looked like he was just at the beach. And even still, he was an imposing presence. He set the combine bench-press rep record that year but it has since been broken.

The Seahawks send just about everyone on their personnel and coaching staff to the combine.

Posted by David

12:49 PM, Feb 19, 2008

Things seem awfully quite in Kirkland. Other teams are making noise with cuts and franchise tag assignments. I am sure Ruskell and others are on the ball, but the lack of noise has me concerned. My top concern for this week - keep Trufant, do go Hutchison on this one.

Posted by Ben

3:12 PM, Feb 19, 2008

Teams aren't going to tip they're hands. I'm sure Ruskell and Co. are working around clock and have a plan as to what they want to do this offseason and who they are targeting in free agency. Just look at how fast they snatched up Wahle. The Patriots were interested in him. Your probably not going to see a lot of movement until next week. Although the franchise tag will most likely be used by Thursday, so there most likely there will be some movement in a few days.

Posted by sportspage95

3:24 PM, Feb 19, 2008

Hopefully its on Trufant. Which evers cheaper. I'm thinking Tag since he'll want Clement type dollars.

Posted by Patrick F.

5:17 PM, Feb 19, 2008

I agree putting the franchise tag on Trufant seems like the best approach.

I could see addressing the need of running back in the draft, but tight end seems like a free agency pick up. Maybe I'm wrong.

Posted by caineman

5:27 PM, Feb 19, 2008

Tampa Bay has like 5 tight ends...

Posted by Ben

5:47 PM, Feb 19, 2008

Actually they have only 2. Anthony Becht, Keith Heinrich, and Jerramy Stevens are all free agents. And the other two kind of remind me of Heller and Newton. Nice try.

Posted by Al

6:07 PM, Feb 19, 2008

You guys realize tagging Trufant will cost roughly twice as much this year as signing him long-term right?

They probably will won't do that since it'll cost almost $10mil. and take up a big chunk of their available cap space.

Posted by Jm

8:32 PM, Feb 19, 2008

Off subject: Jose, can you get the terms of the Wahle deal for us when you talk to our GM? THANKS

Posted by salemdawg

8:52 PM, Feb 19, 2008

The Bucks also have Alex Smith at TE.

Posted by free beer

9:25 PM, Feb 19, 2008

I just posted this thing did sh!+ nothing, not even error...Jesus!

Posted by hawk in nj

1:14 PM, Feb 20, 2008

They should slap that franchise tag on Trufant. Then sign Brown. They are crazy if they let either player get snatched up by another team. The sharks are circling. They better do something quick. I would hate to see Brown go to another team. He has been a rock as far as kickers go.

Posted by Den

12:09 AM, Feb 22, 2008

Seahawks should go after TE Jeb Putzier who was released by Houston Texans. Since signing him away from Denver he was never utilized in the two years with Houston. Not sure what the deal was but he broke out in Denver and is still a very good TE with great potential in the right situation. BTW, I think the Hawks were interested in him when Houston signed him two years ago!

Jun 4, 08 - 12:40 PM
Back to Kirkland's grass

Jun 4, 08 - 10:17 AM
Russo out, Shelton in

Jun 3, 08 - 03:09 PM
Floyd Womack absent from practice field

Jun 3, 08 - 02:30 PM
Under the lights of the Dempsey Indoor

Jun 2, 08 - 01:17 PM
Voluntary practice attendance

Mechanic double-checks his air-bag worknew
Dear Tom and Ray: Last week, for one of my best customers, I replaced a very difficult steering rack. The ALLDATA instructions called for air-bag and ...