Seahawks

Seahawks Blog

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.

E-mail Danny| Seahawks forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

February 5, 2008 7:55 PM

Mora to be named head coach for 2009

Posted by Danny O'Neil

Jim Mora is going to be the Seahawks head coach beginning in 2009. In the spirit of giving credit where credit is due, FOXSports.com reported the news first. We've confirmed it independently. The Seahawks don't have any confirmation, but there is a press conference scheduled for noon on Wednesday.

Mora came to the Seahawks after three years as Atlanta head coach. He coached the Seahawks secondary in 2008 and served as assistant head coach. He was a candidate for Washington's head-coaching job, but withdrew himself from consideration.

Coach Mike Holmgren will coach one final year with the Seahawks. His contract expires after 2008 and he announced last month this will be his final season with the franchise.

Posted by dave

8:07 PM, Feb 05, 2008

Ask him if the UW has an opening next year for head coach will he be interested in the job?

Posted by gatorator

9:05 PM, Feb 05, 2008

This is going to crush all those negadoggs.

Posted by huskiesjv

9:28 PM, Feb 05, 2008

Sad day for Husky fans

Posted by Ken

9:37 PM, Feb 05, 2008

I LOVE this move! I think Mora has a raport with the players that will energize this team beyond next year, and I think Ruskell is doing a great putting a team on the field each year. I'm curious to see how well Hasselbeck will perform when he no longer has to fear the wrath of his coach if he breaks wind in the huddle. I am a HUGE Holmgren fan, but I like this move for a successor. I'm sure we'll see a more creative offensive play call, but we're likely to incur more penalties and mental errors. Holmgren really cracks down on that stuff, but Mora will motivate his players well.

Posted by Dawgfan

10:32 PM, Feb 05, 2008

UW Pres Emmert really blew it. I would have loved him at UW, but will at least be happy that the Hawks are in good shape for years to come.

Now we'll be scouring no-name coordinators and the WAC for coaches at UW in '09...sad.

Posted by UWubba

6:12 AM, Feb 06, 2008

There's no guarantee that Mora would have stepped away from the Hawks to coach the Huskies. Willingham is bringing in an excellent class. I think the Seahawks announcement is a good move; players have stability and Mora has a year to prepare while Holmy has one more shot.

Now if the Hawks would quit talking about how hard they work and how close they were and start winning the battles on the field instead of in their heads, we'll have a superbowl-bound team. Clearly, the Hawks could not have played the Patriots close like the Giants did. A gimpy Brady would have picked apart the Hawks like appetizers on Friday nite.

Posted by puzzledHawk

6:14 AM, Feb 06, 2008

WHY ? I STILL don't have an adequate answer on this....why ?

In 2004, He led the Falcons to a record of 11-5 and a first round bye in the playoffs. (good)

In 2005, the Falcons went 8-8 (bad)

In 2006, Mora led the Falcons to a 7-9 record, losing his final three games, including two at home. (bad)

And now he should be our head coach ?

Posted by huskiefan@aol.com

6:51 AM, Feb 06, 2008

The best part of this deal, is he WON'T be at the UW. The UW does not need an arrogant, pompous, hot headed jack ass like him. How do I know? I played with him at the UW, and after all these years, he remains one of the people I would LEAST like to ever be around. Besides, he needs to go back to the drawing board after the way the Packers shredded the Seahawks secondary.....

Posted by 12thmanforlife

9:06 AM, Feb 06, 2008

Before I get into why this is such a good move I just want to say that the Packers did not shred our secondary. In fact they ran all over us. Huskiefan- you sound like a guy who's ass he kicked or he stole your girlfriend. Quit hating.

Mora is a great fit for our team. He is young, energetic and enthusiastic about the game of football. He grew up here and loves this city. He is a defensive minded coach, which I have been wanting for a long time. He is also a west coast offensive guy so not much will probably change as far as schemes go, but he is much more aggressive than Holmgren. And to alleviate the distraction of who is going to be our next head coach since we all know Holmgren is gone after next year is a brilliant move.

Posted by Southeast Seahawk

9:22 AM, Feb 06, 2008

Bravo 12thmanforlife!

Posted by slothpuppy

9:59 AM, Feb 06, 2008

Mora is so much better for the Hawks anyways. He was brought to Seattle by Ruskell specifically to take over whenever Holmgren was done. I'm sure they had some kind of wink-wink, nod-nod agreement. Even if he were offered both jobs, he would have to be an absolute dolt to have taken the UW job. Lets see, less money to rebuild a rebuild of a program thats still struggling to get out of rock bottom, or three to five times the pay to take over a Super Bowl-caliber team from a legendary coach, in your home town, in the league every coach aspires to succeed in. He was never going to be the Husky coach. Get over it.

Posted by bhamhusky

12:25 PM, Feb 06, 2008

D.O.
I am listening to the PC, wish you would have asked Dave's question re. UW.
Does Mora have a clause that if a college job opens up that he wants that he can take it?

Posted by jimmyg82

2:19 PM, Feb 06, 2008

What has he done to get an automatic assignment for an elite job in the NFL. The Seahawks head coaching job is a plum assisnment in a great organization, in a great city. His record and credentials do not merit such an outright blatant disregard to the Roney Rule, and not allowing others , Coward, Billick, Mariucci and others to vie for the position. Bad move by the power that be. Don't expect this perrenial playoff team to stay that way. Acoording to Mora's previous script the prisoners will sone be running the prison and the dark days of past Seahawk football are not to far away. Enjoy next year.

Posted by Huskiefan@aol.com

2:26 PM, Feb 06, 2008

OK, OK....so the Packers only completed 18 passes in 23 tries with no interceptions. I guess allowing 78% of the passes to be completed, and not stopping a 3rd down until the game was over is just a lock down? Don't get me wrong, I love the Hawks, and I am glad Mora will be their coach. I just didn't want him at the UW, where you are dealing with kids, not highly paid professional athletes.

Posted by Kathy Holmgren

2:53 PM, Feb 06, 2008

All you guys who think he hasn't proven himself because of his Atlanta record...he had to deal with Vick. His father took a lot of heat for calling Vick a "coach killer," but he was spot on. You had a QB who needed the game to be all about himself and not about the team...and if you have ever named a dog "Coach" then he truly was a "coach killer."

Further, look at what Mora did with our secondary. The turn around from last year to this year was incredible, and you can't say that it was only due to personnel moves. Hamlin is playing in the Probowl this week, and we let him go.

Mora is going to be a great fit and continue to keep our team performing well. In fact, his youth and motivational skills will likely make the transition a positive one if he can surround himself with a staff that will maintain the mental discipline we have had under Holmgren to avoid stupid penalties. Ruskell's emphasis on chemistry over raw talent should keep smart players on the field.

Posted by logjammer

4:03 PM, Feb 06, 2008

I cant believe people wont give credit to a guy who got to the NFC Championship with a QB who can't QB and liked to kill dogs with his bare hands in his spare time. Do you understand what I'm saying? A QB that liked to kill dogs with his bare hands. Looking back at it, how could anyone have expected him to do anything better than he did with that?

Posted by 12thmanforlife

4:07 PM, Feb 06, 2008

Ok, huskiefan. I might have been a little harsh on you. We Huskies need to stick together. But most of those completions were underneath or just plain rediculous I am Brett Favre I make things up as I go type passes and it was still for less than 200 yards and I think only one touchdown. I would not say our secondary got shredded. Most of the damage came on the ground.

As much as I love Holmgren I will be happy not to see a draw play on 3rd and long. I think Mora's aggressiveness will be nice breath of fresh air. He is in a good environment with a good team already in place.

Jun 4, 08 - 12:40 PM
Back to Kirkland's grass

Jun 4, 08 - 10:17 AM
Russo out, Shelton in

Jun 3, 08 - 03:09 PM
Floyd Womack absent from practice field

Jun 3, 08 - 02:30 PM
Under the lights of the Dempsey Indoor

Jun 2, 08 - 01:17 PM
Voluntary practice attendance

LeBron James plugs Kia K900; Tesla Model X delay likelynew
(Kia) LeBron James teams with Kia Basketball star LeBron James has partnered with Kia to promote the K900, the brand's first rear-drive luxury sedan. ...