Seahawks

Seahawks Blog

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.

E-mail Danny| Seahawks forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

January 18, 2008 7:24 PM

Thoughts on Mora's statement

Posted by Jose Romero

If you didn't see it on the Seattle Times' Web site, here's what Seattle assisant head coach Jim Mora had to say in a statement released by the Seahawks earlier today, removing himself from consideration for the Washington Redskins head coaching job:

"I want to thank the Redskins organization and owner Daniel Snyder for the opportunity to interview for the head coaching position. The process reconfirmed that the quality of life for my family in Seattle is my first priority. This past year has been a great experience both professionally and personally for myself, my wife Shannon, and our kids. We are very happy members of this community and the Seattle Seahawks organization.”

The obvious here is, does Mora's decision mean he has been told he will become the Seahawks' next head coach if Mike Holmgren decides to retire when he returns from vacation in Arizona next week? It's worth some speculation.

The Seahawks don't typically send out such statements from an assistant coach. It makes one wonder if a move is to be made.

Mora, it would appear, is at some point going to be the Seahawks' head coach, be it next week, next month, after next season, or in a couple of years. Otherwise he probably wouldn't stay in town if an NFL head coaching job was offered to him. Stay tuned...

Posted by Free Beer

8:16 PM, Jan 18, 2008

I would say, he didn't get the job, why did he go for the intervew if he's so damn happy here, head coach...who knows, Holmgren living...don't think so, maybe doesn't want to coach anymore, wait tell the kickoff on the frist game..LOL!

Posted by KJR listener

8:57 PM, Jan 18, 2008

I don't think it Jim's decision was because he felt he didn't get the job. I think he realized there are future opportunities here, and it is worth the wait.

Listen to the interview Mike Holmgren gave to KJR on Thursday morning. At about the 24 minute mark, Mike Holmgren talks about what he said to Jim Mora before he left for DC. I think he reaffirmed him that there are possibilities here in the future. Jim is just being smart and is learning and seeing how the Seahawk organization is run.

Link is here:

Posted by Geoff Smock

9:32 PM, Jan 18, 2008

That's great to hear that he prefers a head coaching job as opposed to the Redskins, who are one of the most respected franchises in the league. Says a lot about what the Seahawks have developed into as an organization. He'll be a great head coach, though I hope he won't get the chance to prove that for another year or two. Come back, Coach Holmgren!

Posted by Gohawks

10:00 PM, Jan 18, 2008

I wish I could see all the success more has had that all you guys seem to have seen . Where has he shown any consistent success? Atlanta had a good year other than that he has been a 9 and 7 type coach. I get it he is a I guess a locale guy but I want more out of my next hawks coach or huskies coach

Posted by Tariq Ahmed

11:37 PM, Jan 18, 2008

Mr Holmgren is a coach of iconic stature, but, he is getting old for razor sharp moments in NFL.Mr. Mora is a local man, young and very energetic. Seahawks cannot find any better replacement for our aging coach than Mora. His heart is here.He lost his Atlanta head-coach job just because he revealed his home sickness. At Renton casting a team is a tough job. Mr.Holmgen is too old for this big change in HQ of Seahawks.If RedSkin want Mora then Seahawk will prove another Huchinson blunder Mr. Mora goes to any other team than Seahawks.

Posted by Nicholas Nature

11:45 AM, Jan 19, 2008

I hope he becomes defensive coordinator. I'll let Holmgren coach as long as he wants. But its nice to have Mora Jr. in the wings.

Posted by Ken

11:45 AM, Jan 19, 2008

Ever since we hired Mora, I was hoping that he would stay until Holmgren retires. I am still behind Holmgren and would love for him to coach for a few more years. Mora is young enough to wait until then. However, unless the Huskies are in a bowl game this year, they're probably going to fire their coach. Mora would probably like that opportunity as well. I'm guessing he's willing to wait another 1 or 2 years for UW or Seahawks job.

Posted by Ann

12:23 PM, Jan 20, 2008

I totally agree. I would love to see Mora stick around as defensive coordinator for a year or two with Holmgren at the helm. Holmgren doesn't sound like a man about to retire. He sounds anxious to get back and get started on tweaking the team for next season.

Posted by CDUB

1:51 PM, Jan 20, 2008

Jim Mora is sticking around because he has two possible openings in Seattle the next few years. Ty Willingham's seat is hotter than any in the NCAA. Whichever job opens up first, that is where he will be. He knows it is just a matter of time, then he will have a head coaching job in the Northwest, getting best of both worlds. It would make no sense for him to take a job on the east coast. He will be a head coach again. He is to talented to be an assistant.

Posted by Loop

6:36 PM, Jan 20, 2008

Tim Ruskell sets the franchise back 5 years by not offering Coach an extension

Posted by Everett fan

7:18 PM, Jan 20, 2008

GB should have prayed for snsow this week. . . .

Posted by ethan

7:45 PM, Jan 20, 2008

Favre saw a talented young team and stays for a few years...Holmgren sees an aging team without a heart retires.

Posted by Keith C

10:01 PM, Jan 20, 2008

Why is there there no update on the Coach situation that Fox was talking about. They said there is no chance for a contract extension for Holmgren....and that Holmgren told players that he is ready to head out. I want to pretend they are only rumors since they haven't been touched here. Was there a decision made to not give him the extension and that is why Mora stayed? I think if Mike stays 1 year, he will make them win. Part of me says he knows he can't so he may call it quits. I'd really hate to see him leave this way though.

Posted by Needsometenasity

7:43 AM, Jan 21, 2008

Sounds like another brilliant move on the part of inside management. Lose Steve Hutchinson. Acquire an undersize, underperformer wide reciever with a first round draft pick. Lets get two, and waste even more money.
Now lets get the guy from Atlanta, the one that they won't pay the big money too. Holmgren two superbowl appearences one win. Mora Jr.? Management?
Seems we again have two egos working on two different ideas. Didn't we fire Bob Whitsett for the same reason. Do you the Belecheck has these problems?

Posted by No to skins

8:33 AM, Jan 21, 2008

I'd say Mora will get first choice to either be the Hawks or Huskies head coach (whichever comes first). In the meantime he gets valuable experience with a hall of fame coach and doesn't have to move his family from an area he likes. Going to this interview (like UCLA earlier) simply kept his interview skills sharp for when he really wants an opportunity.

Posted by me

10:18 AM, Jan 21, 2008

"Mora, it would appear, is at some point going to be the Seahawks' head coach"

Why...he had ONE good year

Posted by Rob Arita

10:49 PM, Jan 21, 2008

Why would we want Mora when we have Willingham in our back yard. Can you imagine the half time stratey session with the pay off in the second half?

Posted by Scott

8:46 AM, Jan 22, 2008

Watch me be proven wrong later on today but I have to say, I can see the writing on the wall. Mora pulling himself out of consideration for a head coaching vacancy tells me he thinks he's got a gig coming up imminently here in Seattle. I considered the possibility that he just saw Dan Snyder for the pompous you-know-what that he is, but I doubt that - I think Holmgren has made his decision to retire and that Mora has been told he's the man. I don't want to see Holmgren go; I couldn't think higher of the guy... but I see the poor man huffing and puffing on the sidelines and he really doesn't look like it's good for him... I'm sure he has blood pressure problems or something. He needs to look out for his wife, kids and grandkids... If I were him (and I'm not), I'd take a year off, relax and drop some weight - then reconsider coaching or a GM-type job somewhere. If we can't have Coach Mike, Mora would be my definite next choice.

Jun 4, 08 - 12:40 PM
Back to Kirkland's grass

Jun 4, 08 - 10:17 AM
Russo out, Shelton in

Jun 3, 08 - 03:09 PM
Floyd Womack absent from practice field

Jun 3, 08 - 02:30 PM