Seahawks

Seahawks Blog

Danny O'Neil covers the Seahawks for The Seattle Times.

E-mail Danny| Seahawks forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

January 5, 2008 12:30 PM

My prediction for the game

Posted by Danny O'Neil

I have gotten a good amount of feedback on my prediction that Washington will win. I don't begrudge anyone for questioning my intelligence. Hey, this certainly isn't the first time.

A few have even said they won't read this blog anymore. That part concerns me. I have no rooting interest in the outcome of the game. I don't "hope" Washington wins because it will fulfill my prediction. I don't "hope" Seattle loses.

My job is to observe the team, ask questions, report the answers to those questions and do my best to provide people with an insight into the team(s) being covered. In this case, part of my job was to offer a prediction. This was a matter of opinion, and the truly great thing about sports is that predictions often are not worth the paper they're printed on. That certainly might end up being the case with my prediction, and if it turns out wrong, check back here and in the paper on Sunday to read all about the reasons why Seattle was successful. A prediction doesn't change my desire to report both on what happened and why it happened.

Posted by good ol' george

1:00 PM, Jan 05, 2008

You are right Danny. It's just an opinion, based on what you know, what you have seen, and what you believe could happen.
That said, I'm saying...Seattle 28, Washington 20.

Posted by Keith C

1:09 PM, Jan 05, 2008

I think the hawks have a lot on their plate. They need to play a perfect game and get help from the D to win any playoff game.

Having said that, I really feel like one team will be hot in the beginning of the game and the other at the end.

That dallas hawks game last year was a flip flop, killed me till the end.

Posted by kmedic

1:23 PM, Jan 05, 2008

hey what did u expect? If u haven't noticed Seattle fans are pretty passionate about their hometown team. If ur going to pick against the home team when all the marbles are on the table u have to expect a little backlash. Now is not the time to be crying about ur decision.

Posted by John

1:46 PM, Jan 05, 2008

They say they'll leave, but they are petty, stupid liars. Be yourself and make whatever picks you want. They won't be able to stay away.

Posted by BillyinJava

1:55 PM, Jan 05, 2008

Hey Danny, you did what you are supposed to do - give your objective opinion based on the facts before you. I've actually gained more respect for your opinion because of that. But it's not surprising that some fans reacted poorly, because many of them are unable to understand the role of a journalist.

Posted by Tom H

2:40 PM, Jan 05, 2008

I'm onboard with being able to choose who you think, but honestly don't you think there is some bandwagon mentality in your pick. The skins have been a mediocre team all year, the hawks are amazing at home...how do you make that pick???

I can see picking Green Bay after this game as that makes sense but this team, I'm honestly a little stunned by your pick.

Posted by SSto

2:56 PM, Jan 05, 2008

Danny....If you had any brains at all, and knew anything about football...you wouldn' thave picked Washington. You think you're some sort of "expert"....on what basis did you choose the Redskins????? You're the Seahawks blogger, and have no idea how Seattle plays at home??? You say you considered all the factors, and made an objective prediction.....how the hell do the Redskins beat the Hawks on paper?...Let alone in Qwest field??? You have shown that you're an absolute idiot when it comes to football...and I'm no longer coming to this F'ing blog. I think I'll check out the P.I. you no talent bum. Get a real job and leave the football to others who actually know it. You F'ing piece of trash...move to DC

Posted by ethan

3:30 PM, Jan 05, 2008

SSto -
did you have a father growing up? an apprenticeship? an emotional and cultural safety net??

ITS JUST A FREAKIN GAME!

Posted by Seattle MLS

4:29 PM, Jan 05, 2008

The problem with this blog isn't the blogger. It's the semi-literate meat heads who post replies.

Posted by sfseahawkfan

5:07 PM, Jan 05, 2008

The powers of light have triumphed over the forces of darkness, 35-14. Kudos to the Seahawks, who head on to Green Bay. My guess is that, if the Hawks get by the Pack, they go to the Super Bowl over an overrated Dallas team.

Posted by jpp

5:49 PM, Jan 05, 2008

journalist my ass, your feebile career is directly related to the reporting of seahawk news. When I read the seattle times I expect blind loyality to my team. If I want an objective review Ill watch espn. Danny know your role (a cheerleader who supports the home team regardless of rational logic)!!!!

Posted by OMM

5:59 PM, Jan 05, 2008

Danny,

It amazes me that meatheads like S Sto and JPP can actually use a computer to post fanboy comments, let alone read a newspaper.

Keep up your reporting and blog. I enjoy it.

Posted by No.12

6:05 PM, Jan 05, 2008

Danny,

You have zero credibility as a football prognosticator.

Just report the raw facts as the team hands them to you on its daily quote sheets and listen to the news conferences like you do.

Turn the blog over to Jose Romero ASAP.

Thanks.

Posted by mike jasmer

6:37 PM, Jan 05, 2008

Danny, you keep writing what you feel. As a fan of this football team Id rather read what I feel are true impressions of the team from you point of view, then a bunch of b.s. thats made up to make me feel good.

Posted by Big Earl

7:30 PM, Jan 05, 2008

Cant beat the Redskins? I think a couple of guys on their defense played with Steve Largent. Redskins suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Ohhh Danny BOY

9:44 PM, Jan 05, 2008

Here's hoping you will make the same prediction about next week's game in Green Bay. Interesting and somewhat eerie that Seattle beats Washington by 21....rest in peace Mr. Taylor.

Posted by No.12

10:47 PM, Jan 05, 2008

I would have respected Danny's game pick if he went with a real score-- Skins 17/Hawks 16 shows no analysis for a playoff game. Jose Romero had the best prediction, and Jerry Brewer zeroed in on how the Hawks "D" would be the factor.

Posted by Jawood

11:08 PM, Jan 05, 2008

You are certainly intitled to your opinion in regards to a prediction. How can you have no rooting interest when you cover and get to know these athletes and coaches? Even if you are not from Seattle, wouldn't it make your job more enjoyable to cover a possible Super Bowl team?

Posted by Dismayed

8:09 AM, Jan 06, 2008

Are you the same Danny O'Neil who one quaeterbacked the Oregon Sucks? If so, it figures.....

Posted by tman

9:46 AM, Jan 07, 2008

Where's the original article about the prediction? Has it been removed?

Danny, I think the problem with the prediction is not that you chose the opponent, but that it made no sense. The fans can't help but wonder that either a) you don't know much about football/seahawks, or b) you are rooting against them.

If you pick the Packers this week, it won't generate as much backlash, except for the fact that you will have picked against the Seahawks two weeks in a row. (How dare you!)

Jun 4, 08 - 12:40 PM
Back to Kirkland's grass

Jun 4, 08 - 10:17 AM
Russo out, Shelton in

Jun 3, 08 - 03:09 PM
Floyd Womack absent from practice field

Jun 3, 08 - 02:30 PM
Under the lights of the Dempsey Indoor

Jun 2, 08 - 01:17 PM
Voluntary practice attendance

4 automakers invest in plants; Honda upgrades Fit bumpernew
Toyota plans to expand production of its Highlander SUV. (Toyota) 4 automakers reveal big plant changes A variety of automakers announced major moves ...