August 19, 2008 8:44 PM

Yuck

Posted by Larry Stone

Well, that was pretty awful. The tone was pretty much set for the Mariners when they started the game with runners on first and third, no outs, and couldn't score.

The most alarming part of the game, to my eyes, was not the fact the M's got shut out. It was the fact that Felix Hernandez, in five innings, didn't strike out anybody. As I mentioned, the only other time that happened was last year against the Twins in April, but he lasted just one-third of an inning in that game. He had a bad elbow, it turned out, and went on the disabled list.

There is no apparent arm trouble for Felix this time. In fact, everyone said he had good stuff. Felix himself said that the Sox were hitting good pitches -- balls on the hands, balls on the corners. He also said that his left ankle, where he got hit by a Juan Uribe line drive, is sore, but won't keep him from making his next start. It's the same ankle he hurt back at Shea Stadium covering home plate. Remember, the game he hit the salami off Johan Santana? That injury landed him on the disabled list.

"It hit me on the wrong spot,,'' he said of Uribe's drive. But then he added, "It's fine.''

Hernandez actually did his best pitching right after getting hit. Orlando Cabrera followed wtih a double to put runners on second and third with two outs, but Felix got three ground outs to get out of the inning without any more runs.

Here's a stat to leave you with -- the records of Seattle's original starting five this season. Felix is now 7-8, Silva is 4-14, Washburn is 5-13, Batista is 4-12, and Bedard is 6-4. That's a combined 26-51. Just the way Bill Bavasi drew it up, right?

Posted by Steve 723

9:05 PM, Aug 19, 2008

I'm having a hard time deciding if I care about this team anymore. They've mailed it in as a team, and I'm starting to mail it in as a fan. In a sick way, I'm actually happy to see them losing, since we can at least focus on getting the first draft pick next season. If you're going to suck, at least be the worst team there is. Why go for second or third worst? Go for the #1 draft pick!

Posted by George Orwell

9:13 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Problem is the Nats keep losing, how are we to overtake them? The humiliation is not worthwhile to be second worst. We might put Felix on the DL and bring back Silva which might help. If only Washington can win three and the M's keep losing, them we might win that number one pick. There is no substitute for being worst. Worst is best, last is first.

Posted by Martin

9:14 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Remember early in the season when FSN use to run the commercials advertising the Mariners "Riding their staff of aces" pretty funny stuff I think they quit showing those by the end of April however.

Posted by familyguy

9:16 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Tough Loss, but these M's are more than just wins and losses, they give back tons to our community.

And nothing beats Safeco on a warm summer bobblehead night.

I am looking foward to the home stand next week with Oakland. This season has had many ups and downs but it sure has been fun at times.

Posted by Dave, coasting

9:17 PM, Aug 19, 2008

This is Baseball Hell.

Posted by meagain

9:18 PM, Aug 19, 2008

I liked that set of starters. I thought Batista and Silva would be pretty good, albeit expensive, 4/5 or 5/4.

Nobody--not the character guys, not the stats geeks, not the W/L BA ERA RBI guys...nobody saw this freight train coming on March 31.

I'll keep right on watching. It took 21 years for me to get to my first major league baseball game, and I'm still catching up. But this is a tough pill to swallow.

Posted by Batter Up!!!

9:19 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Bill Who?

Posted by Albatross

9:21 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Team Purgatory

Posted by Edgar

9:21 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Where is Bedard?

Posted by Albatross

9:24 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Where is fopoo? fefee?

Posted by Albatross

9:28 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Actually this train wreck of a starting rotation was visible in spring training where they gave up large number of home runs and extra base hits, but Johnny Mac just explained it all away. So the press followed suit, a characteristic of the times.

Posted by ethan

9:35 PM, Aug 19, 2008

i remember coming home from Arizona in March and picking up the LA Times on my doorstep ...and reading that they picked the M's to win the West. lolol

Posted by Albatross

9:55 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Trade, dump any and all veterans, and fill with the Tacoma Rainiers, this team is bad and not worth the price of admission.

Posted by MsFan

10:00 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Larry, as terrible as the Mariners are doing, and as difficult as it is to maintain even an ounce of positivity in such a terrible season, I think you should refrain from using titles such as "Yuck" to name your posts.

No, the Mariners aren't good this season. They're not even decent. They may not be next season either. But as a journalist working for their hometown paper, I think you should try for decency, respect and objectivity.

No one is happy with the way they're playing right now, but perpetuating all of the bad things (no matter how true) being said about them isn't going to help them win. Neither will it encourage them to hang around the clubhouse waiting to talk to the media.

Posted by DistantFan

10:00 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Like so many other fans out there, I, too, keep hoping for yet another loss. Not only is there the first draft pick aspect, but if this team can end up the only 100-100 team in history, the sheer humiliation might cause shake-ups in the organization reaching as high up as Armstrong.

The Mariners are the "Cop Rock" of Major League Baseball. Unfortunately, there is no way to cancel this tragic spectacle.

Let's all pray for a complete overhaul, come 2009.

Posted by Albatross

10:12 PM, Aug 19, 2008

YUCK - is appropriate!n Get over it M's fan, this team deserves some comeuppance.

Posted by Sounders

10:13 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Yuck is right.

What a mess. I don't post a lot of 'this is what I think they should do' regarding lineups etc because I'm not arrogant enuff to think I know more than they do. I supose it's possible,but whatever. Not the point.

But what I do think is that the FO is as responsible for this. And I think they need to go in order for this ship to get going in another direction.

Baseball is cyclical. Even the Yanks with money and a competent GM and probably gonna miss the playoffs. But this seems like more than that. This seems like a flawed system, a flawed philosophy. Their plan clearly has been to have a few name stars, a little development from within and a lot of throwing money around at mediocre free agents.

In theory that plan should get you a middle of the pack team year in year out. But this year has shown us that Bavasi wasn't smart enuff to make it work. He's gone, and Howie and Chuckie need to go for wasting five years believing in him. I think it's the only way to get a decent GM to come here.

Posted by beezlebub

10:13 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Larry, Yuck is yuck! you called it as you saw it, and yes, msfan,that's what a sports journalist is suppose to do. If the whole thing is just too much for you read the selective pabulum where you may find it...

Posted by Beelzebub

10:18 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Who are you to steal my call name?

Although you are correct, Yuck is right>

Posted by Beelzebub

10:21 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Calling for an Adam impersonator, now we have a Beelzebub impersonator. How low can this blog sink?

Posted by Beelzebub

10:23 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Will somebody please impersonate Eggplant? or is that Faceplant?

Posted by JJ

10:59 PM, Aug 19, 2008

familyguy is a perfect example of what is wrong with Seattle sports fans.....just handing over cash to M's management...while expecting nothing in return. Enjoy your bobbleheads ass

Posted by Balentienforcer

11:03 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Glad to see the theme of self editing continues. Nice job replacing the F with a Y in the title of your post Larry.

This is like watching your best friend die a slow painful death in the hospital. Horrible.

Posted by downonstrikes

11:07 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Ishtar

that's what I'd title this mess. Yuck is far too civil for the mariners.

MsFan, Larry hit it on the head with that name. this team is Yuck, Ick, Barf, Road Pizza

Ishtar is the worst movie of all time and the Mariners are the worst in baseball entertainment. No positive spin can change that.

Posted by Tomas

11:09 PM, Aug 19, 2008

King felix? more like court jester felix. He is the same pitcher he was when he came up at 18. 6 years ago. He has not progressed and tonight is evidence as to why. He is a league average pitcher and his record bears this out. Give me a winner over the "king" who will never come close to the hype.

Posted by Tom

11:40 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Blow it all up, let the rebuilding begin in '09.

Hope Joey Cora is still interested in the Mariners job.

Posted by WeNeedChange

12:25 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Gee whiz, I wonder now if the people running this circus now realize that there does need to be a 'fire' sale.

Silva is on the DL for suckfest tendinitis.
Kenji looks like he would struggle to hit a wiffleball in the backyard. On a tee.
Bedard left his balls back in Baltimore. -I think Adam Jones might have found them-
Sexson is wiping his ass with 100 dollar bills that the Mariners still owe him.
Miguel either sucks, sucks, hurts, or sucks, hurts, sucks.
Yuni would make a great lumberjacker.
Washburn is still on the team because people with the IQ of a fart are running this team.
Nobody has picked up Jose Vidro. Proving that the people running the Mariners actually have an IQ below that of a fart.
As long as the ball is hit right at Lopez, he's fine.

Posted by Cynical Optimist

12:27 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Why be a Rays fan when you can be a Nats fan. Go Nats. Win em all.

Posted by Sounders

12:34 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Msfan:

Put a cork in it. Without Stone and Baker we'd go mad.

Yuck is spot on. There's being an M's fan, waiting thru bad years, and then there's getting ripped off and taking it the.....

The M's FO is like the Ford Corproration. Instead of being innovative, recognizing trends that will be successful and putting out a good product and planning for the future, they decided to cobble together something out of parts that weren't that good to start with, put out a media blitz and call it the next best thing in order to make a quick buck.

Posted by mr. mariner

6:14 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Conehead Bavasi didn't have a clue when it came to judging baseball talent. The lack of interest in Vidro and Sexson are a testament to that.

Will Erika Boo Boo Bedard put down his ping pong paddle long enough to actually pitch in a real game this year?

Posted by Ryan

7:09 AM, Aug 20, 2008

46-80!! Yeah, yuck is appropriate. I stopped watching once the Olympics started. That will probably continue after they're over too.

Posted by Draigh

7:34 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Probably best if Felix just plays out his contract with the M's and then moves on to another team that actually will compete. I can't see this "Major League" team competing in my lifetime unless a serious amount of luck is involved (like ALL the other teams in the league being on a Luxury Liner that goes down at sea).

Posted by GOB

7:56 AM, Aug 20, 2008

are the Mariners still playing? With the olympics in full swing and the Dawgs getting ready for the season - this pathetic excuse for a major league club has fallen off my radar. I have not bothered to check in on any of their games over the last 7 days. Glad to see that I have not missed a revival - hope no one is going to the games, I have not been to one since the all-star break and am even thinking about not going to the home opener next year for the first time since they have been at Safeco.

Posted by beezlebub

8:13 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Dearest Beezlebub, I spell it with a small 'b'. try extending your powers of observation...

Posted by johnsonjrbm

8:53 AM, Aug 20, 2008

If Howie and Chuck are still in charge at the end of the season, I don't see much improvement for 2009.

Posted by Beezlebub

10:23 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Dearest beezlebub,

Sometime I ago, I tried the small casing with Adam and large casing with scottM and they both had fits screaming they were being impersonated. So is there room for both of us? Since I have been using the call name and even though you use a small case b, it would still create confusion, so I think you should get another call name. Certainly the precedent has been established in the two earlier examples that I have cited, By the way, my powers of observation are fine, but what about yours?

Posted by Ryan

10:39 AM, Aug 20, 2008

Oops!! I apparently gave them 80 losses instead of 79. My bad!! I'm sure # 80 will happen in a matter of hours anyway.

How winning teams do it