August 15, 2008 2:35 PM

Washburn: "I'm disappointed"

Posted by Larry Stone

Larry Stone here in Minnesota.

If you wondered about Jarrod Washburn's reaction to not being traded, he wore it on his face as he walked into the clubhouse today. He did not look happy. And, it turned out, he wasn't. He said he found out yesterday about the possible Twins' trade about the same time he found out it wasn't happening.

"I had mixed emotions,'' he said. "I was happy and upset at the same time."

The happiness came from the possibility of being traded to the Twins, which was just about the top team on his list of possible destinations. His home, he said, is an hour and a half drive away.

"If the rumors are accurate, it's too bad,'' he said. "It would have been ideal. It would have been perfect. It would have gotten me to a place that's contending and it's in my own damn backyard.''

On the rumors that the Twins were offering Boof Bonser, Washburn said: "If that was the case, how much more do you think you're going to get? A young guy with a great arm who's cheap.''

On whether he can get back mentally into pitiching for the Mariners this season: "Yeah. My job doesn't change. I have to go out and give my team a chance to win, no matter who I'm pitching for. I'm disappointed, but if I fall on my face the last six weeks of the season, I won't be in anyone's plans next year -- the Mariners or someoone trying to trade for me."

UPDATE: 3:30 P.M. -- The Mariners, following MLB guidelines, have a strict no-comment policy on all matters pertaining to waivers. But I'm told by a baseball source with knowledge of the Mariners' talks with Minnesota that contrary to what has been written elsewhere, Boof Bonser's name never came up. And also, Nick Blackburn's name was pulled from discussions very early in the process by the Twins, so speculation that the Mariners were asking for Blackburn is also not accurate.

Posted by thomas

2:52 PM, Aug 15, 2008

embarassing...so embarassing for the entire FO. well done jarrod. please keep giving the media these types of quotes-maybe you can force your way out like manny.

Posted by Disappointed like Washburn

2:54 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Mariners front office are idiots.

I have given Lee P the benefit of the doubt but this is plain stupid to not take this deal. I think Lee knows he does not have the GM job and is going through the motions.

Completely dumb. Who is running the joint? Chuck, Howard and Lee ought to be sent packing.

Posted by CaptainPoopy

2:56 PM, Aug 15, 2008

I'm glad he said these words. We are all just as disappointed Mr. Wash

Posted by WeNeedChange

2:59 PM, Aug 15, 2008

What really happened-

-ring, ring-
Chuckie- 'Hello.'
Lee P.- Hey, sir, this is Lee.'
Chuckie- 'Who?'
Lee P. 'Uh, the interim GM, sir.'
Chuckie- 'Oh, yes, yes, I remember now. You look like that McLovin' character from that movie.'
Lee P. 'Uh, yes, sir I just wanted to report that the Twins have offered to take Washburn's salary for nothing.'
Chuckie- 'Fine, fine. Who do we get?'
Lee P. 'Uh, well, we could get one of their lower-tier prospects.'
Chuckie- 'That's an outrage. Washburn's a grizzly veteran. Try and get a Blackburn.'
Lee P.- 'They already said no...'
Chuckie- 'Then no deal. I'm a business baseball man, LeeLee. If you trade a player away, then you need to get a player back. It's simple math, my boy. Otherwise we would have a hole in the roster.'
Lee P.- 'But, sir, I really think we should...'
Chuckie- 'No deal. Ha, you have a lot to learn in this business, my boy. And oh Lee...'
Lee P.- 'Yes, sir...'
Chuckie- 'Howard and myself need to have our backs oiled again. So, bring your little magical hands on up here. And bring the scented oil this time.'
Lee P.-sigh- 'Yes, sir.'

Posted by Briguy17

2:59 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Even mlbtraderumors.com, and unbiased site, called this stupid to not make. Boof may actually even be a better pitcher than Washburn.

I give the FO a Z- on this one. Now we'll end up getting nothing for him.

Posted by Bill

2:59 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Now he sounds just like almost everyone else on the team in that he doesn't want to be here.

Posted by ken

3:00 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Kudos to Wash for speaking out about this very disjointed FO. I think Wash will now be on waivers (irrevocable the second time through) by the end of the homestand as this very conservative FO does not like players questioning their "wisdom" - i.e. stupidity. See Nellie back in 2003 and David Segui back in 1999.

Posted by Alex

3:05 PM, Aug 15, 2008

I think Paris Hilton could do a better job running the Mariners

Posted by scottM

3:12 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Hard to feel sorry for Washburn who has hardly earned his $36 million salary with the M's. For $9m a year, he should go out and give his best. While I don't blame the M's for not simply dumping his salary to a playoff contending team, Washburn makes a valid point IF the Boof Bonser "rumor" is true.

I'm not a Washburn fan, but I also think that, unlike Vidro and Sexson, he is more of and asset than a liability as a player on this team. [And I don't think that the M's are done with trying to trade him for player value.]

Co M's Fan in Exile, thanks for the response, but if you knew that the M's were simply going to dump Washburn's salary without reinvesting the $12 million in '08,'09 salary into new players, of what value is such a trade to the fans? The M's can still run Washburn through Waivers again to make that weak deal.

Posted by Esteban

3:14 PM, Aug 15, 2008

J-Wash may not have a live arm, and he certainly isnít going to accept responsibility for his own failings, but heís definitely not as intellectually challenged as the Mís FO.

This is so funny it makes me want to cry.

Posted by Davis

3:15 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Posted by ethan

3:15 PM, Aug 15, 2008

"i'm disappointed ... every year i'm like 7-16. i should be getting paid and respected like i'm a 20-4 CY YOUNG pitcher."

Posted by DFA

3:17 PM, Aug 15, 2008

It's always tragic when an overpaid, under-performing player doesn't get his way. Speaking of which, Richie Sexson is looking for a job again after being cut by the Yankees. Gee, there's a shock!

Posted by Bill

3:17 PM, Aug 15, 2008

A Boof Bonser Bobblehead night could be extremely successful. What were they thinking?

Posted by meagain

3:20 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Re Washburn's inclinations, suspicions confirmed. Thanks, Geoff.

Ever since he ran over Johjima when he was pitching poorly, Washburn has been giving off the body language of dissatisfaction. This from a guy who normally has an aggressive demeanor on the mound.

I would have expected more from him, since he has a record of being intensely competitive, even when he's not pitching at his best.

Posted by ZoinksScoob

3:22 PM, Aug 15, 2008

It's more than obvious that Pelekoudas doesn't have the authority to make deals at this point, given that he's not going to be the GM next year. Would you let someone with no stake in the outcome of a trade make it? I wouldn't.

That being said, if Minnesota were willing to take on most if not all of Washburn's contract, and all we got in return was a bag of balls, then the trade should have been made. This has Howie and Chuckie written all over it. Another example of two businessmen who have no business running a baseball team. They need to go back to selling video games... after all, they seem to feel that all they need to do is press the "restart" button and everything will be fine.

Posted by dh

3:23 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Maybe the Mariners should keep Washburn as their new general manager?

Posted by meagain

3:23 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Oops. Thanks, Larry. (Read much?)

Posted by Esteban

3:24 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Davis wrote: Ďno way we trade washburn. He has the potential next year to go 17-5 and have an era close to 2.00. His K rate is up this year and he seems to be finding the velocity now on his curve. He can help teach the younger pitchers his new fastball and basically just be a mentor to the young guys. The FO was smart on this oneí

Wow!!! Thatís so out of touch with reality, I donít know where to begin. Davis, you should apply for a job with the M's FO. You'd no doubt find yourself surrounded by folks with a similar outlook.

Posted by Patrick

3:29 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Holy crap. An athlete who tells the truth and doesn't just shill out cliched responses? This situation is getting wierder and wierder.

Posted by ykiki

3:31 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Esteban,
Ever consider that Davis may be joking...?

Posted by meagain

3:34 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Patrick: It's possible to be pleased with truth-telling without approving of the truth that's being told.

I'm feeling that way now.

Posted by B Stain

3:35 PM, Aug 15, 2008

i think it also possible Davis is not joking and is just an idiot.

Posted by CheapSeats

3:36 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Davis - I think you forgot what year your watching the M's...lol And, in 2009 how many HRs in BP will determine how many you hit when the ump yells "Play Ball".

You seriously need to get back on your meds!

Posted by Walrus

3:44 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Per an interview on KJR earlier this afternoon with PI writer Andriessen, the Mariners FO / Lee P. thinks that the Mariners have to wait up to 30 days before putting Washburn on the waiver wire again...so we just may have to keep Washburn and his disappointed attitude around the rest of the year.

Posted by scottM

3:47 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Washburn's comments confirmed one thing:

He has been showcasing himself, elevating his game for trade purposes. Makes me despise him more than ever because he rarely brought it for the M's when we needed his best.

Washburn is very much in control of himself with the press. He manages to say the right things, seems so professional, but when it comes to key games FOR his team, he more than often came up short. But, then again, why should the M's reward him for never earning his big paycheck? I still say let the Mariners try to get back player value for him either now, in the offseason, or at the '09 trade deadline. He is a legitimate proven #4 or #5 starter who has been the second best player on this team.

This isn't about what the overcompensated Jarrod Washburn wants.

Posted by meagain

3:52 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Whatever Pelakoudas' shortcomings may be, he knows the waiver wire rules. Knowing such rules was part of his job for years, and he was good at it. If he cited a rule, you can take it to the bank.

Nice job on the update, Larry. We get it. Well, I think we do. I don't want to speak for Davis.

Posted by CaptainPoopy

3:53 PM, Aug 15, 2008

ScottM

Boof is more than adequate compensation for trading Wash. Boof is better than Wash, cheaper than Wash, and younger. Lee really sucks at his job and I can't wait til this nightmare season is over.

Posted by scottM

3:56 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Washburn, the "second best starter" on this bad '08 team, I meant to say.

Posted by Davis = scottM

4:02 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Davis = scottM

Posted by Bill

4:06 PM, Aug 15, 2008

"he rarely brought it for the M's when we needed his best."

Washburn is far from the only player on the M's guilty of that.

Posted by last rites

4:07 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Looks like Sexson was waived by the Yankees.

Get out the golf clubs, Richie. Going to be a long summer!

Posted by Tacoma Rain

4:09 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Maybe the Mariners should interview Sexson for the interim GM job...he couldn't do any worse than Lee...and we are still paying him.

Posted by Chuckie

4:15 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Sexson is tall, he might be good at changing light bulbs. Lets sign him to a contract, eh Howie.

Posted by John McLaren

4:38 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Let me give you my personal assurance, Richie is going to be the come back player of the year in 2009.

Posted by Nick T

5:02 PM, Aug 15, 2008

I have actually read some postings at the PI site that praise Pelekoudas on this!!
Sad...what an incredibly crap franchise.
A resin bag, 2 bags of sunflower seeds and a pack of baseball cards would have been more than enough for Washburn..

Posted by ken

5:24 PM, Aug 15, 2008

I think positive-thinking M's apologist Amanda must have switched over to the PI blogsite.

Posted by doug

5:26 PM, Aug 15, 2008

beltSUCK SUCKchiro

Posted by boofM

6:40 PM, Aug 15, 2008

If scottM is really Brett J Miller (or is that Brent J Miller), then who is Brett J Miller (or is that Brent J Miller)?

Posted by boofM

6:51 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Does Brett or Brent equal CS?

Posted by boofM

6:57 PM, Aug 15, 2008

scottm = Boone Brothers

Posted by Dave from somewhere

8:51 PM, Aug 15, 2008

Boof? Huh? What? I can just see it now...if the M's acquire "Boof" and "Boof" turns out to be a lousy pitcher and the M's get rid of him...then "Boof" will become "Poof".

Richie waived again? Richie play golf? Can he hit a ball in front of him when it's not moving? Honestly, something's just plain wrong with him; he's just not SEEING the ball this year.

Washburn's attitude really came through with the phrase "Damn Backyard". He may be a pretty good pitcher, but what good's that if the 'attitude' isn't there?

Poof...