August 10, 2008 1:00 PM

Game thread, 8-10, Mariners vs. Rays

Posted by Larry Stone

Update 2:30: Interesting development here, with Tug Hulett pinch-hitting for Jose Lopez in the fourth, after Lopez had hit a home run his previous at-bat. There doesn't seem to be any injury to Lopez, so this could have something to do wtih the throw to second base on Iwamura's stolen base in the top of the inning. Jeff Clement's throw was good and seemed to beat Iwamura, but it went off Lopez's glove and into center, and Iwamura advanced to third. It was originally ruled an error on Clement's throw, but the official scorer just changed that to an error on Lopez.

(OK, I was in a hurry when I typed the lineup. Ichiro is in right, Balentien in center, Reed in left. The Mariners are not going with three center fielders).

Both sides have some bad injury news today, but Tampa Bay's has more serious ramifications for the pennant race. Carl Crawford, their outstanding outfielder, was placed on the DL with a finger injury, and there is some fear that he might be out for the remainder of the season. Obviously, that's a huge blow for the Rays, who are battling Boston and New York in the AL East. They activated Rocco Baldelli today and put him in the lineup in right field,, but there is no guarantee that Baldelli, battling his own medical condition -- something called mitochondrial disorder -- will be able to produce. Crawford apparently hurt himself on a check swing against J.J. Putz on Saturday. The official term is a subluxation of his right middle finger tendon.

Meanwhile, Willie Bloomquist was put on the 15-day DL with a right hamstring pull he suffered running out a double-play ball in the 10th last night. Tug Hulett was called up from Tacoma to take his roster spot. Jim Riggleman said before the game, "It's a very significant pull. I don't know if we'll see Willie the rest of the year."

If that's the case, that could be the end of the Willie Bloomquist era in Seattle. He is a free agent after the season and has made noises about exploring an opportunity in the National League, where playing time might be more plentiful.

Rays

Wladimir Balentien CF

Bryan LaHair 1B

Yuniesky Betancourt SS

R.A. Dickey P

Posted by Briguy17

1:21 PM, Aug 10, 2008

I will be the first to say I will miss Willie if we don't resign him. He's been a good bench player, and his effort perserverence will be missed.

Posted by Briguy17

1:21 PM, Aug 10, 2008

*Effort AND perserverence.

Posted by M Dogg

1:27 PM, Aug 10, 2008

My condolences to Novice. Should get pretty interesting out there with 3 CF's ; )

Posted by simpsonian

1:28 PM, Aug 10, 2008

you have three center fielders playing today

Posted by Briguy17

1:43 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Ichiro's in right and Ibanez is the DH.

Posted by Nat

1:45 PM, Aug 10, 2008

From this roster I would rather see Reed out in CF than any of the other young guys. Even though he doesn't make every single catch, in general, I have confidence he's gonna run out the ball and get it.

3-0 TB- well, nobody ever said the M's could keep up with the Rays this year! It would make a nice sendoff for the M's on their way out of town.

Ah, wishful thinking. Still it would be nice as long as I'm fantasyzing to imagine we could take one out of two from the Angels with Felix pitching on Tuesday.

Posted by Pirata Morado

1:48 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Is anybody else having trouble to load the mlb.tv game?

Posted by ice

2:11 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Actually, Stone is listing the lineup with 2 CF and 2 LF.

Posted by RagArm

2:18 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Pirata Morado,

yeah, about half the websites on the net seem to be super slow today and late last night. The MLB sites are really slow for eastern teams and gameday just won't go for me today, or last night.

Posted by headliner

2:20 PM, Aug 10, 2008

I like Dickey, I wish he was a ML quality starter. I don't think he is.

Posted by RagArm

2:23 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Simpsonian, I think he was referring to Ichiro, Reed, and Balentien all playing in the outfield today. All are billed as center fielders by many.

Posted by Waz

2:25 PM, Aug 10, 2008

What the heck that Hutlett is pinch hitter for Lopez in fourth inning when Lopez had a homerun in 2nd inning. Is it a punishment for Lopez or something? Lame.

Posted by Pirata Morado

2:32 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Thanks, RagArm, I was referring to the video feed of Seattle's mlb.tv

It's back now.

Posted by QuackQuack

2:38 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Do the Mariners have Aflac coverage for their fans??

It seems MOST of us have a subluxation of our right middle finger tendon.

I would donate my cash towards a free agent that EXCEEDS the hype.

Posted by Waz

2:50 PM, Aug 10, 2008

LOBs, LOBs, LOBs, and keep going on..

Oh, how's exciting.. Not ...

26th place for runs but 11st place for hits..

That's incredibly sad story.

Posted by Sounders

2:50 PM, Aug 10, 2008

...and before anyone asks me for any numbers to back up my dislike of Beltre lemme say this:

"I don't need no stinking numbers!"

I don't claim to be an expert, or an analyst, or a baseball hoodoo voodoo guru, I just call it like I see it.

And the way I see it, he's an easy out at the plate for any decent pitcher

Posted by Sounders

2:52 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Waz:

The LOB problem would seem to indicate a coaching problem, no?

Posted by Faceplant=insane

3:07 PM, Aug 10, 2008

beltre has to be close to lead league in Ks, if not holding it. he strikes out so damn much on low and away, breaking balls, over the head pitches. basically he can hit slow pitching rightys, but not very well. Who here can defend this piece of human dross?

Posted by Pirata Morado

3:09 PM, Aug 10, 2008

"The LOB problem would seem to indicate a coaching problem, no?"

No, it has more to do with batting your worst clutch hitter in the cleanup spot.

Posted by nik

3:10 PM, Aug 10, 2008

coaching problem? would a good coach tell them to go drive in a run! and the player would decide to do it?

Posted by Jonathan

3:15 PM, Aug 10, 2008

I thought we wanted the kids to play? Why all the complaining, heck Clement is having the worst day of them all. 3 Passed Balls and an error, yikes.

"I like Dickey, I wish he was a ML quality starter. I don't think he is."

Same, I like him as a Ryan Franklin like longman. Dickey's problem is his inconsistency, he's either really good or really bad - I don't think a playoff team can take a chance on a guy like that.

Posted by Gary W

3:22 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Saw Willie get hurt last night. He is gone for the season. Won't be 100% until next year.

Posted by Top pick in 09 draft

3:49 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Pretty much a real snoozer today which is probably a natural letdown after a hard-fought game last night. Only good thing is that SD won today so the only team between us and next year's #1 draft pick are the Nationals. With a tough 8-game road trip vs the Angels, Twins, and White Sox coming up, I expect the M's to snatch the lead by week's end. Will be interesting to hear what the reason is for pulling Lopez mid-game - Yuni should have been yanked in multiple games this past week.

Posted by downonstrikes

4:12 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Ugh!
Ugly!
Umbrage

Posted by Charlie don't surf

4:22 PM, Aug 10, 2008

when the weather gets cold
and the Seahawks begin to roll
the house named Safeco will be full

Full of echos...

Posted by bammy

4:23 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Geoff,
I heard Raul and Washburn have cleared waivers. What next?

Posted by washout

4:24 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Washburn cleared waiviers

Posted by RagArm

4:38 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Poor Clement. Bet he has a headache now.

At last Lopez got benched. Wiggleworm is going to talk to him later. Jose needs a spanking and some time in the minors along with Yuni. Why won't anyone listen to me. Don't answer that. I know, I'm just a uninformed outsider.

Great season. Great product. Pride in Seattle

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

4:52 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Riggle is going to lose this team real fast if he picks and choses favorites who he embarasses by benching players for errors. Similar to what I read on a daily basis by some biased attacks on specific players. I wonder if Silva's comments had everything to do with Lopez's benching? You BENCH players for not hustling, you bench players for being late to the park. You don't bench players for errors.

Why didn't Jeff Clement get benched for his error on the baseball Tonight Not-So-Highlight reel?

Riggle better bench Ibanez and Ichiro when they make errors.

Boy when it rains it pours for this dysfunctional franchise.

Posted by Sounders

4:55 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Howie: Chuck! Wake up, the game's over.
Chuckie: Uhhh. Okay. Did I miss the Rally Fries? We're using organic potatoes now, you know.
Howie: (drinking a milk shake) Slurp slurp. Umm,yummy.
Chuckie: Who won?
Howie: I dunno. QWho cares?
Chuckie: Was there a lot of people?
Howie: Yeah.Lots. Ka-ching!
Chuckie: Let's go to El Gaucho and get a steak
Howie: Yeah, good idea. Cigars and steak. Yum yum

Posted by adam

4:58 PM, Aug 10, 2008

you should never bench Ichiro, and he should've got a stolen base in the 9th. the official scorer is a racist.

Posted by Sounders

4:58 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Man, gotta love those television ratings for the M's rebroadcasts. Big money there, boy

Posted by putzy

5:03 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Lopez stunk it up last night as well. what is that olay stuff trying to flip the ball with the glove ? not once but twice. He didn't put forth effort on that throw by Clement. sit down !

Posted by putzy

5:05 PM, Aug 10, 2008

indifference

Posted by putzy

5:13 PM, Aug 10, 2008

Ichiro is a stats boy...all he ever cares about 200 hits and getting his SB's...down by ten and stealing bases....what a team player he is...IF I was the scorer I'd give him an E for walking out on the field....send Ichiro out of town to the Yankees or Mets or whatever, perhaps philly and let some real fans give him the business....what a bum !

cubs are on...cya.../

Posted by downonstrikes

5:32 PM, Aug 10, 2008

A Caution To Everybody whose a M's fan

Consider the auk;
Becoming extinct because he forgot how to fly, and could only walk.
Consider man, who may well become extinct
Because he forgot how to walk and learned how to fly before he thinked.

Ogden Nash

Consider the M's...

Posted by Bavasi's Ghost

5:49 PM, Aug 10, 2008

I see ReXin expressing his "reality" again, apologizing for Lopez.

It was an error, waw.
He's trying as hard as he can, waw.
The coaches are playing favorites, waw.
It's got to be Ichiro'sfault, waw.

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-19

Love this cartoon

Nah, on second thought

Same as it ever was

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-18

New 3-wheelers merge fun and safety new
Children who begin their vehicular life on tricycles typically migrate to two-wheelers by the time they start kindergarten, eventually graduating to f...