August 5, 2008 3:49 PM

Vidro designated for assignment

Posted by Geoff Baker

The Jose Vidro era ended today when the Mariners designated him for assingment. I just drove by him in the Safeco Field parking lot. I was headed in, he was leaving. The Mariners have 10 days to release, trade or demote Vidro to the minors -- a move he could refuse. Anyhow, he's gone.

Wladimir Balentien is back up.

Why did this take so long after the July 31 deadline?

My guess is it had to do with Jeff Clement's health. Clement was going to see quite a few DH at-bats. No use getting rid of Vidro if the guy who will take a lot of his at-bats is on-the-shelf. Now that Clement is feeling better, Vidro goes.

Posted by Batter Up!!!

Posted by HRman

3:56 PM, Aug 05, 2008

The News just keeps getting better

Posted by cronka

3:57 PM, Aug 05, 2008

The Safeco Field concession stands will surely miss Vidro

Posted by Patrick from Kent

3:57 PM, Aug 05, 2008

I second what HRman said!!!

Posted by shane/olympia

4:00 PM, Aug 05, 2008

burke dropped rob johnson up!

bautista dropped fierband up!

ciaro dropped tug or diaz up!

jared wells down again rrs up!

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

4:00 PM, Aug 05, 2008

I'm sure Riggleman is sad Vidro can't provide Ibanez protection anymore.

So the day after I ripped the organization in a glowing post about the Twins, Pelekoudas decides making moves he should have done weeks ago. Better late than never!

Posted by Section 329

4:02 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Who is running the M's today, and what have they done with the Mariner's front office?

Posted by shane/olympia

4:02 PM, Aug 05, 2008

also to add to my list

lee pukeness gone Kim Ng hired as GM

Posted by Adam

4:04 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Do you have a Paypal account? I figure we all owe you a beer or something, right?

Thanks for your hard work, Resin...

Posted by The Mariners FO.

4:05 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Does this mean my stupid blog persona must go away?

Posted by wasted my money

4:05 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Well I guess i gotta retire my 250 dollar Authentic Jose Vidro jersey. Damnit.

Posted by StillASeasonTicketHolder

4:05 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Vidro nice guy with bad timing, huh? BTW, he went 2 for 5 last night with no runs scored and no RBIs. Hardly the DH we would want to keep.
And, Oh my gawd, NO to Jose G.! Keep Ichiro where he plays best in Right Field. Balentien has no where to go. He's your new Left Fielder.

Posted by scrapiron

4:05 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Wladimir Balentien has cut down on his at bats-to-strikeouts ratio every year in professional baseball. So I think saying he is not developing a better batting eye is unfair.

Balentien at bats per strikeout (minors)
2005 3.0
2006 3.1
2007 4.5
2008 4.7

Posted by I-Played-The-Game

4:07 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Posted by scrapiron

4:08 PM, Aug 05, 2008

I guess it took a grand slam and 6 RBIs by Ibanez to prove he didn't need protection anymore.

Posted by JP

4:09 PM, Aug 05, 2008

WOW! Ok so they made two moves in one day? That's awesome! Does this mean we are not going to see any more moves until the September call ups? I hope not!

I'm happy they made the moves but geesh why does it take so long to make a move?

What will they do next?
1. Send Wells down call up RRS
2. Release Cairo call up Diaz or Hulett?
3. Release Bautista call up Freirband
4. Trade Washburn through waivers?
5. Release Burke call up Diaz or Hulett?
6. Fire themselves?

Posted by johnsonjrbm

4:11 PM, Aug 05, 2008

No word in the announcement on whether or not Pepe Vidro was also released...

Posted by scottM

4:13 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Reed is going to stay in CF. Willie B will be a free agent this offseason, but not much sentiment has been expressed in re-signing him or letting him go. He's played well, is an outstanding utility guy, but will always be powerlite.

Cairo is even more powerlite than Willie, but is a bit more versatile than Willie in the infield. With LaHair/Lopez/Yuni/Beltre anchor the infield. Wouldn't it be better if players like Tug Hulett stay in Tacoma during August where they will get more playing time?

Other than the stupidity of DFAing Norton (instead of Cairo) and losing any power options on our bench, Cairo and Willie are the least of this teams problems right now. Vidro was the one who really needed to go a few months ago.

Posted by PS

4:15 PM, Aug 05, 2008

No word in the announcement on whether or not Pepe Vidro was also released...
I just had to say, I cracked up when I read this. Bravo. :)

Posted by Miles

4:15 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Glad to see this move finally made, though I still wonder why no one asked them about this last week. I guess we can give Geoff a pass since he hasn't been around.

That said, the Clement theory doesn't make sense to me Geoff. They could have DFA'd Vidro after the deadline and brought up Balentien then. No, my guess is that there was something else at work.

Oh well, hopefully Diaz will get a call up soon and not be left for September.

Posted by Guillenforcer

4:19 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Due to todays stunning developments that the Mariners FO may actually have a slight pulse, it pains me to say that I am officially stepping down as Sargent at Arms of the JOSE GUILLEN SOCIETY.

It's ben a good run fellas, but it seems like we may have some better things to talk about with the new direction and blood guiding us through the rest of the season and beyond.

Jose's fire and brimstone approach to the game we all love will not soon be forgotten, but I believe it may be time to move on.

With a tear in my eye, and a beer in hand......GO M'S!!!!!!!

Posted by Kelly

4:21 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Wow, this is stunning. First Sexson, now Vidro. It is like this team is trying to lose experience.

If only the Ms had their heads screwed up on straight last winter. We'd still have the worst record in the AL West, but we'd also have Jones, Sherill, and Tillman. Hell, maybe we could have dumped one of our "vets" for Edwin Jackson.

The good news is that the right guy or gal making smart decisions can turn a team around in a hurry.

Posted by Carl Jung

4:22 PM, Aug 05, 2008

reXin isn’t cheating = Mariner’s Revolution
Mariner’s Revolution = Delusions of grandeur

Posted by Miles

4:22 PM, Aug 05, 2008

scottM said:
"Is there room before September to have both Balentien and Diaz on the big squad and get them both enough at bats? Even if Raul went to the DH permanently, isn't the idea behind these call ups to give your best prospects an extended try-out? How would you do that with Ichiro/Reed-Bloomquist/Ibanez-Balentien all vying for OF playing time?"

Given that Balentien has played some CF at Tacoma, I don't see any reason why they both shouldn't get plenty of playing time. We already know what we have in Reed and Bloomquist so givng them more starts doesn't make sense.

I'd have Diaz in LF and Balentien in RF tonight and Raul DHing the rest of the way if I was running the M's.

Posted by Washington State Attorney General's Office

4:24 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Alert

All warrants on that white Bronco have been suspended, the guillenforcer had come to his senses and there is no need for the continued chase. He was a slippery one though.

Posted by Greenlake Chris

4:25 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Mariners fans, we were hoping this day would come for a while and now with Vidro gone, Sexson gone, Bavasi gone and the organization making the right moves (finally), I hope tonight is the first day of the rest of our fan lives. Fresh air can be invigorating.

Posted by Joe C

4:42 PM, Aug 05, 2008

As for the request for a beat writer to ask about why Vidro is still on the team, I'd suggest taking the suggestion for a question from USS Mariner:

As you’re aware, Jose Vidro is in the starting line-up tonight. No one has any idea why. Could someone please ask Jim Riggleman and Lee Pelekoudas for an explanation. And then, when they give their ridiculous cliche answer, look them in the eye, and say “no, seriously, what the hell?”

and replacing 'Vidro' with 'Cairo'. And you thought you were off the hook.

Cairo is almost as pointless as Vidro for this team, but I'm happy that I can stop actively rooting for our cleanup hitter to fail.

Posted by scottM

4:45 PM, Aug 05, 2008

The hardcore M's Fans seem to be in better spirits today, so maybe we don't need a Sergeant-at-Arms anymore, (especially one in a slow Ford Bronco).

Resignation reluctantly accepted. Thank-you for your exemplary service, Guillénforcer.

Frankie, President-for-Life
ScottM, Vice President-for-Life
WallaWallaGirl, Treasurer-for-Life
THE JOSÉ GUILLÉN SOCIETY

Posted by chris d

4:50 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Geoff, I don't buy that Vidro couldn't go until Clement was healthy. I think that something else was going on. Why not bring up Wlad to replace Vidro.

Also, Cairo need to go.

Why does is the FO always the last ones to know what needs to be done to make this team better. This is ridiculous.

Here's hoping the new GM and manager are smarter than the fans are. Won't that be wonderful and then we can enjoy baseball and not worry about administrative moves. We can trust that FO will know and do what is best.

What a strange feeling that will be. Here's visualizing success.

Posted by DFA

4:51 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Is Pepe Vidro still with the club?

Posted by Patrick F.

5:07 PM, Aug 05, 2008

'Bout time. He never should have been the M's DH in the first place.

How come they're not calling Feirabrand? up yet? He's dominating in Tacoma.

Why haven't they put Batista on the DL yet? Clearly there's something wrong with his delivery.

Posted by RagArm

5:17 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Ah, today is such a nice day. Fresh air. Warm temperatures. Blue skies. No Vidro. A Front Office that decided to follow the advice of the majority of bloggers on this site. Life is good. So good.

Next up:
Cairo, bye bye
Bloomquist, back to utility play
Raul, DH or else!
Drop Burke and bring Rob Johnson up!
Give the Tugboat another try. I love short people
Bye Bye Batista, the BBB of Seatle
Jared Wells down
RRS come on up and start a game or 60
Give Freirebrand a shot
Play Jeff everyday.
Johjima, become ownership's butler for life

Posted by batura

5:24 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Now I'm intrigued. With three real outfielders on the roster, will Ibanez finally be splitting some time as the DH? I could certainly see him and Wlad platooned for OF and DH/1B otherwise. Yeah, he doesn't hit lefties well, but, its better than him being the in the OF full time.

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

5:31 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Thanks for your hard work, Resin...

You are welcome Lord Adam.

Someone has to help erase the Aaron Laffey for Raul Ibanez and top prospect Adam Moore trade propositions. Let's not forget the classic "Corey Patterson in left field is better for the team than Raul Ibanez" ramblings.

The 11th commandment according to Adam is; defense is more important than offense.

Posted by nature

6:06 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Yo Resin... he's kinda got a point there. I mean, think about it... with guys like Batista pitching batting practice every fifth day... well... that's a lot of balls to flag down. So defense is important...

Posted by pbk13

6:08 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Damn. We didn't play Adam last year because Vidro was so important. Five years ago all you people who supported the Bedard trade will be, by consensus, total morons.

Posted by Ms Fan in Exile

6:43 PM, Aug 05, 2008

I want to see Batista out of the rotation as much as the next guy, but the only way we are going to see that this year is if he moves to the pen. He is under contract for one more year (at about $8 mill at that). No way they release him this year.

Posted by bleacher bum

7:41 PM, Aug 05, 2008

how many people who were on the roster on march 31 have been dfa'd this year? sexson, vidro, wilkerson, norton. anyone else?

i cannot tink of the last time i saw a major league team release like 20 percent of its first game roster players.

Posted by mls

7:50 PM, Aug 05, 2008

What happened to Eric O'Flaherty? Is he pitching with the Tacoma Rainiers? On the DL?

Posted by Chrome Dome

8:16 PM, Aug 05, 2008

"Clement was going to see quite a few DH at-bats. No use getting rid of Vidro if the guy who will take a lot of his at-bats is on-the-shelf. Now that Clement is feeling better, Vidro goes."

Anyone...and I mean anyone would have been better to take some bats at DH whether Clement was healthy or not. Jose Vidro had as much reason getting at bats as my 66 year old mother does...

Posted by byebyevidro

9:51 PM, Aug 05, 2008

March 30th would have been a better time to cut Vidro, but better late that never. And hey, M's still have a shot at the 100-100 club.

Posted by tomtom

10:37 PM, Aug 05, 2008

Clement's health???? You mean the heart throbbing he felt every time at BAT?

Wladimir... I like his calm at bats, but it has been hard to watch the farther he went into the season.

It wasn't much of a guess, even for a yellow journalist.

A fan's guess: Someone in the FO said "Win against good teams? Let's try to cut our throats instead."

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-19