July 10, 2008 5:32 PM

Morrow blows one, M's lose

Posted by Geoff Baker

sexxson0710 031.jpg

Brandon Morrow coughed up a pair of solo home runs in the ninth inning, by Jack Cust and then pinch-hitter Kurt Suzuki, the latter with two out, to send this game into extra innings. Emil Brown then took Cesar Jimenez deep to left with one out in the 11th inning to give the Oakland A's a 3-2 win.

The earlier blasts off Morrow tied the game 2-2. Morrow had a 2-0 lead when he took the mound. He was pulled one batter after the Suzuki homer, pictured above, when he walked Donnie Murphy. That prompted manager Jim Riggleman to bring in Mark Lowe, who fanned Jack Hannahan to end the threat.

Tough way to lose this series. The M's got three great outings from starters, all ending in defeat.

"I was missing a lot of spots today,'' said Morrow, who hadn't been scored on in 17 2/3 innings before Cust belted a 3-1 pitch into the right field stands. "That was the main thing. I think I fell behind every single hitter.''

Despite the "bad feeling'' from the loss, Morrow hopes to shake it off quickly and "come back with the same mentality I've had.''

R.A. Dickey was obviously feeling better about his own four-hit shutout performance over seven innings. Know what caused his problems in the first, when he had to pitch out of a bases-loaded jam? The bullpen mound was facing in the opposite direction of the regular game mound. So, in gauging how his knuckleball was reacting to air currents, he had it all backwards when warming up. It took an inning for him to get used to throwing in the other direction.

Dickey is sure making a case for himself to be kept in the rotation.

"I think I've certainly worked hard to be trustworthy in that role,'' Dickey said. "I think I can get better and throw a lot of innings. I think that's a good definition of a quality No. 4 and No. 5 starter.''

Mariners manager Jim Riggleman wasn't about to quibble with that.

"He's so durable, he'll probably be around at the end of the Kansas City series to pitch, too,'' said Riggleman, whose squad plays a weekend series against the Royals. "He's really persevered. He's trying to grasp it and hold on to it. No matter what profession, if everyone worked like he did, good things would happen.''

Posted by SaukMtnMan

3:47 PM, Jul 10, 2008

I wish we would have drafted Lincecum.

Posted by scottM

3:51 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Tied, bottom of the 10th, after Morrow tanks. Will this team find a way to win?

Is Riggleball for real??

Will Burke pitch today?

Posted by Miles

3:53 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Maybe this'll calm the "Morrow is the next Mariano Rivera" talk.

Posted by Bill

3:57 PM, Jul 10, 2008

DFA Morrow!

Posted by bungyjumper

3:59 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Geoff,

Yeah, that plane ain't going to happen :)

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt.

Posted by eri-CH

4:00 PM, Jul 10, 2008

ummm....what is it with you people? A closer has never blown a game before? Even the greats blow games. Morrow does really, really well for awhile and makes one mistake and its 'why didn't we draft baby lincecum?'

HELLO. we're lucky to have him after JJ went down. PLUS, he's out there A LOT.

Posted by corkydarts

4:04 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Maybe Sexson will come back for us, we obviously released the wrong player;)

Posted by Dave from the coast

4:04 PM, Jul 10, 2008

I didn't know the M's had a day game today! I tuned in just in time to see the M's give up a two-run lead, and then Oakland's walkoff home run. So I must take responsibility for the M's loss today. I undeniably jinxed the team by tuning in today. Fire me, kick me off the team, get rid of me!

Posted by scottM

4:05 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Catch your plane, GEOFF.

Riggleball is dead until this team finds more offense.

Posted by Andrew

4:08 PM, Jul 10, 2008

0-1 without Richie, he was obviously the glue of this team, hurry get him back. Our whole bullpen should be released instead, they suck.

Posted by Tom

4:08 PM, Jul 10, 2008

This game was not about Riggleman or even Brandon Morrow. Every closer blows a save once in a while, and he's been great for us.

This game was lost because runners were stranded in scoring position in the bottom of the 7th. We desperately need bats, not pitchers. We should keep Bedard and work on the offense. Small ball can work for this team, but you need a certain amount of offensive proficiency even to play small ball.

Posted by SaukMtnMan

4:10 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Morrow needs to be a starter is what I was saying about drafting Lincecum. Lincecum is dominating for the Giants and Morrow has great stuff and a low ERA. OK, the dude blew a save opportunity...the whole season is blown, so what else is new.
Give Morrow more time to pitch...I'm sure he wouldn't be on the flippin' DL for stiffness like Bedard who can't even make it into the 6th inning!

Posted by Steffen

4:13 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Thank you for following up on the questions regarding Vidro, Geoff. I have a hard time with the explanation following today's game, though. Two intentional walks to get TO Vidro pretty much spells out the effect of Vidro's "reputation" with today's MLB pitchers. I'm all for getting rid of Sexson, but frankly, he, Norton and Wilkerson were performing better than Vidro. The fact that he's still on the team half way through the season, after the dismissal of the aforementioned 3, is inexcusable.
Replaceability certainly must factor into the decision to DFA a player, but it can't be that hard to replace a .215-hitting, powerless, slow DH...right?

Posted by SaukMtnMan

4:14 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Yeah, and nice photo of the dump Oakland is. You'd have to be a real fan to go to games there...maybe that is why they've had some attendance issues even with steady teams for the last decade. What a pit.

Posted by Briguy17

4:14 PM, Jul 10, 2008

This hitting is downright pathetic. The only players in the starting lineup who deserve to be here are Ichiro, Lopez, and Ibanez. Only 1/3 of our lineup is producing.

Release Cairo, Vidro, Bloomquist, Burke, and call up a bunch of young guys. They are wasting roster spots trying to get meaningless wins.

Posted by A's suck

4:16 PM, Jul 10, 2008

All this series proves to me is that the A's suck nearly as bad as the M's. they may be still in the hunt, but they have as much of a chance in the post season as Texas has.

Posted by headliner

4:16 PM, Jul 10, 2008

"Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical."
yogi berra

Posted by smith

4:16 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Morrow is human? I thought he would convert every save opp. for the rest of his career.
It looked like Cust and Suzuki just sat on Morrow's fastball. Tough game for Morrow, but I bet the kid can bounce right back. He has been dominant, converting 7 out of 8 times.

Another great start by Dickey. I am optimistic about the rotation, watching great starts in 3 of the last 4 games. Felix has a good chance to keep it going tomorrow against The Royals

Posted by ethan

4:17 PM, Jul 10, 2008

what a horrible team we are.

Posted by Jeff

4:18 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Are you kidding me?!

25 Runners left on base! Every starting Mariner left 2+ runners on base.

Bases loaded in the 8th, one out and they are all stranded.

Posted by MarkB

4:18 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Get Morrow out of the bullpen NOW!

Posted by Deepthroat

4:32 PM, Jul 10, 2008

This is as it should be. We suck and any little winning streak is eye candy. Let the losing continue until the stench of it reaches heaven and Mr Baseball Gawd himself obliterates any trace of this abomination from earth!

Posted by Scout

4:32 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Yeah, let Burke be the closer. Putz will be back soon. Or give it to Lowe. Closer is a starring role, it's dangerous to keep him there. He might get to like it.

And now that Sexson is gone, how about papers for those other banjo hitters? Not sure running them out there is going to up their supposed "trade value."

Posted by Oly Mike

4:40 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Well if someone else hasn't said it already I will: "I bet Richie is the happiest guy in Seattle ( or not) for not being on this "Cursed Team" anymore. I don't believe in curses generally but if it wasn't for bad luck the Mariners would have no luck at all. Somethings are readily apparent though after today's game.

1. Dickey should be installed into the starting rotation. (Good job today R.A.)
2. Vidro and Johjima still need to go.
3. Burke, Cairo and Bloomquist showed they are adequate bench players again but should not be starters.
4. The Mariners still need power bats at 1st and leftfield or DH whichever Raul is not.
5. If Putz returns healthy and to last years form Morrow should be prepared to be a starter.
6. In addition to Dickey and Morrow the Mariners still need two or three other starters depending on what happens with RRS and Bedard. Because Washout, Silva and Batista need to go (please).

Posted by CMH

4:56 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Only 61 more losses to match team payroll. Go M's - you can do it! Lincoln & Armstrong forever, best FO in baseball ... NOT!!

Posted by GripS

5:16 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Lets cut the guy some slack. He had how many consecutive saves before this happened? Everybody has off days. Unfortunately today Morrow had an off day. If he does this consecutively THEN you can start bitching.

Posted by Argh100

5:22 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Yeah, it's all the bullpen and never mind the 9 guys in dresses leaving 12 runners on base. Again.

Posted by Thomas

5:42 PM, Jul 10, 2008

is anyone else liking Riggleman as much as I am? sure the lineups are questionable sometimes, but he's working with the lineup he has.

his comments are clear and cogent. he looks like a leader in the dugout and i loved the description Geoff gave of him talking to Beltre, etc. after that baserunning mishap. his track record isn't crazy impressive, but so far i'm pretty comfortable with him staying as manager next year.

Posted by scrapiron

5:45 PM, Jul 10, 2008

The last time we went to extra innings our only legitimate power threat Jeff Clement was on the bench too. Riggleman has got to find a way to get him into the lineup when the team isn't scoring runs.

It'll be interesting to see if Tug Hulett can hit major league hitting. He had a .508 SLG at Tacoma, I sure hope he can bring that to Seattle. This team needs a spark.

Vidro continues to struggle and will now probably be kept on the roster because they don't have any first basemen. But at least he should lose his DH role to Victor Diaz. Let's see if his .867 OPS will translate to MLB. Heck, Tug had a .886 OPS. Make him the DH for now. Anything but Slappy Vidro.

The good news is at least I can look forward to the next Tug at bat instead of dreading the next Sexson at bat. Let's see what they can do!

Posted by scrapiron

5:50 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Thomas - I like Riggleman's in game strategy, and his handling of the staff. I really like his attitude and how he carries himself around the team. I would be a huge Riggleman fan except for one glaring weakness. His pre-game lineup construction.

Having Vidro hit cleanup is inexcusable. If Riggleman is being forced to play him to try and get some trade value for him, fine. But he doesn't have to hit him 4th. Let him hit 8th or 9th and he won't hurt you. Sitting Clement after he hits two home runs the night before is another glaring error. Riggleman's biggest flaw is who he plays on any given day, and where he put them in the lineup.

If he could fix the big pre-game issues, I'd be totally for keeping Riggleman around next year. If he build a better lineup in the second half, maybe he'll win me over.

Posted by fortheloveofsexson

5:57 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Having devoted my screen name to Big Richie, and have suffered incredible agitation about the decisions of managers to play him over a few painful years, I must take this opportunity to make a brief comment.

First, Riggleman's "bad attitude" comment is strange, but it is probably an ok way for him (and by association Pelakoudis) to not trash Bavasi or McLaren for keeping this stiff around for so long. So, that's basic respect for other baseball men. I can live with that.

Plus, as others have pointed out, it sends a sorely needed required message to all players who don a Mariner's uniform. You are going to be treated as if you are expected to perform, and if you don't over a sufficiently long period of tiem, regardless of attitude or salary, you are gone.

I have made this point before, but I really like it, so I will make it again. Nothing -- I repeat -- nothing helps the bottom line more than winning. In fact, that has to, far and away, be the single biggest variable in terms of financial and other success. So, to me, there is no sense in carrying a huge sucking sound in the middle or even end of a lineup, regardless of how much money he makes, if he is killing the team. And, I firmly believe, that the suckness of Big Richie has contributed a lot to the overall crappy attitude and negative slide of the M's.

So, folks, I am encouraged by Riggleman's comments and Pelekoudis' guts (relative to sad sack Billy B). We've got a way to go, but at least we are not sitting still while the rest of baseball hammers on and laughs at us. Well, not entirely still --we still need to at least jettison Vidro.

Ok, one question -- I have not heard any talk about trading Sean Green. I would HATE to see him go, but it seems like he would have a high trade value. Is this something the M's would consider? Do other's agree that his trade value is high?

Posted by doug

6:44 PM, Jul 10, 2008

phuck morrow, we want LINCECUM!!!!!

Posted by wrmike

6:48 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Who is Craig Wilson and why did the Mariner's trade for him? Hitting .230 with 10 HRrs and 27 ribbies in AAA, how is he better than what we just released or who we got in Tacoma?

Posted by stango

6:57 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Craig Wilson has that wonderful quality of veteranocity. We like washed-up slow guys that can't hit.

That's M's baseball... catch the fever, or the cold.

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

6:59 PM, Jul 10, 2008

The Lee Pelekoudas era has begun. The M's just traded for Craig Wilson for a PTBNL according to the Seattle Times.

Wilson hit .172/.304/.259 for the Braves last year in 24 games. He's a career .262/.353/.474 hitter although he hasn't hit close to his career line since 2005 with Pitt.

He's been lousy at AAA this year. I wonder if he will replace Sexson. I'd argue Sexson is better than Wilson which is why this is the most ridiculous trade imaginable. I honestly believe Chuck Armstrong is running this franchise.

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

7:03 PM, Jul 10, 2008

I would not be surprised if Chuck Armstrong fills out the line-up card.

Posted by KP

7:21 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Did anyone else find it funny today that with Vidro "protecting" him, Adrian Beltre had two walks today? I mean why wouldn't you walk a player when the guy behind him is basically a pitcher?

Posted by vandelay87

7:26 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Wilson fits in perfectly on this team (washed up vet) and will be part of the four-headed monster at 1B. Only thing that separates him from our scrubs is his cheap contract and a nice mullet.

Posted by Lurker deep

7:32 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Reverse air currents? Geoff, you crack me up. Keep on keeping on!

Posted by greyguy

8:16 PM, Jul 10, 2008

"Dickey is sure making a case for himself to be kept in the rotation."

It's a tough fight to get into the M's rotation. You have to throw pitches and everything.

Posted by GeoW

8:58 PM, Jul 10, 2008

It sure is disappointing, and insightful as well, that in the same ballpark, facing the same conditions, the A's collection of mediocre hitters produced three home runs today, while our collection never even came close to hitting one in the past 3+ games. There is no reason for any pitcher to be fearful of any of our so-called hitters. Givern this, the notion of providing one of our hitters "protection" is laughable.

Given today's blown save, and Morrow's descent from super-closer status, I guess we all can stop imagining that extra win in Atlanta that we missed because Morrow was out with his back problem.

Posted by ken

9:09 PM, Jul 10, 2008

It looked on tv like Morrow didn't have his normal verlocity and location today - could have been some fatigue from pitching a day game following a night game yesterday. I think stamina could be an issue that may keep him in the bp rather than moving him into the rotation. Pitching one inning 3-4 games/week seems to be a good role for him and maybe he could be the team's closer for most of the next decade. At least the team looks to be playing harder and is not being blown out regularly like they were under Grandpa Mac.

Posted by bleacher bum

9:18 PM, Jul 10, 2008

i say yay for the dickeys of the world and the hell with the sexys. dickey actually tries and cares. sexy didn't.

Posted by downonstrikes

9:52 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Dickey worked hard to get his chance in the bigs. He cares. He appreciates what he has. He earned his spot. We are behind you R.A.

Posted by Adam

10:13 PM, Jul 10, 2008

OK - time for my first bash of Ichiro:

It's been 100 ABs since his last extra base-hit. 100. For all the grief we give Willie or Vidro or even "Open Stance Sexson" for their lack of power, our best position player has now gone a long time without an extra base-hit.

And he's in RF instead of CF.

Why is he untouchable?

Posted by mvn

10:29 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Why are people even hating on Morrow? He's one of the most reliable players on the team. His first blown save out of how many opportunities?

Yes, it sucks that we didn't draft Lincecum. But people need to stop whining about it. It's been 2 years!

Posted by VamonosVidro

10:40 PM, Jul 10, 2008

"Why is he untouchable?" One word: Yamauchi. Three numbers: .305 BA Two more: 34 SB. No comparison with those three should be/could be/would be DFA's.

Posted by BrianL

11:31 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Adam - Because he's more valuable to us than he is to anyone else. I'm not talking about the marketing benefits Ichiro brings to the table, strictly speaking baseball right now.

No one in the game properly values his skill-set. No one is going to offer a package that warrants trading him.

Posted by Bruce

11:33 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Give the kid a break. He's been lights out for 17 plus innings. And give up the Lincecum comments. It's easy to be a Monday morning QB. Everybody is a genious on Monday. Here are the top 5 picks in 2006. After Longoria, which would you rather have?

#1 Luke Hochevar, KC - Starter ERA 5.4 , 5-7
#2 Gregory Reynolds, CO - Starter ERA 6.71, 2-6
#3 Evan Longoria. TB - .281 16HR 53 RBI, all star
#4 Brad Lincoln, PIT - reconstructive elbow surgery in 2007
#5 Brandon Morrow, SEA - Closer ERA 1.23 , 1-1

The word is MN is looking for setup RP and may be interested in Dickey, Rhodes or even Morrow. Obviously Morrow is untouchble (and to a lesser degree RAD). Rhodes could be moved. But I do find it interesting that there's a belief out there that you could get players fairly cheap from M's. We've quite a reputation for giving away the farm.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sexson ends up somewhere soon. May be the Red Sox if Big Papi is out much longer? He could thrive in that line up.

Our starters have been pitching their rears off lately. Too bad the offense is not keeping their end of the bargain (again). We should keep Vidro in the clean up spot for the rest of the season and hit Cairo behind him to protect him (just kidding!)

Posted by TwinCities

11:43 PM, Jul 10, 2008

Brian L + USS Mariner = Douchebag.

Posted by oceansaway

2:59 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Can someone please explain why we don't bring up Lahair...Craig Wilson is significantly older, has lesser statistics in nearly every arena...This becomes another wasted opportunity to see what one of our younger players could do in exchange for a tired veteran on backside of his career.

Posted by terry

5:02 AM, Jul 11, 2008

trade dickey now while the Ms ca get a bag of new baseballs for him rather than a bag of used ones....

Posted by Lance

6:57 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Here's a nice update on an old friend. My. that eight game winning streak seems so long ago now.

Posted by BrianL

7:05 AM, Jul 11, 2008

oceansaway -

LaHair is out with turf toe. However, I've heard rumblings that he will be called up by August 1st at the latest. Craig Wilson likely was acquired to assume LaHair's roster spot at Tacoma.

Posted by oceansaway

7:10 AM, Jul 11, 2008

I was hoping that may be the plan...flipping Wilson for Lahair when he is healthy, but thought that too much to hope for...Where did you hear that?

Posted by BrianL

7:15 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Rumblings on the pre-game radio show yesterday.

Posted by JohnBoy

7:53 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Wilson is for LF, with Ibanez moving to 1B

Posted by sjazzdude

7:59 AM, Jul 11, 2008

The Ms should go after Mark Texeira from Atlanta to play 1B. Texeira only signed a 1-year contract with the Braves and he's a switch-hitter. If we land him, then we could get rid of Vidro.

Posted by Amanda (44)

8:07 AM, Jul 11, 2008

WHAT???... The Mariners LOSE? I can't believe this. What is Riggleman thinking, Why doesn’t he Release Richie Sexson RIGHT now!!! Doesn't anyone see that he is single handedly making this team LOSE!!! The first base position needs to go to someone like Vidro or Cairo who can actually catch, get on base and hit homers.

I don’t see why they keep him in the starting line up, when all he is going to do is strike out every time, and put this team further behind. What we need to do is get rid of him and then the team will surely turn around.

OH wait… we they did release Richie… AND what is this??? THEY STILL LOSE?????? So much for you all thinking Richie was the one bringing the team down.

Who’s the new whipping boy now? I think we should have some Whipping FANS!

Grrrrrr….

Posted by BrianL

8:34 AM, Jul 11, 2008

If Sexson had been in the lineup yesterday, there would have been a few more strikeouts instead of weak grounders.

Posted by Mike

8:59 AM, Jul 11, 2008

The Ms front office continues to amaze. They actually trade for someone who is worse than two guys we DFA'd earlier in the season so we could keep both Cairo and Bloomquist.

A week or two ago I read a rumor that Chris Larson and Pat Gillick might be making a move to buy controling ownership of the team. Please let this be true because unless the current Ms ownership changes the way it works we are going to get more of the same.

Posted by downonstrikes

9:00 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Hey Amanda, there are plenty of whipping boys to take Richie's place.
Vidro
Bedard
Beltre
Silva
Batista
Bavasi still
Front Office

Richie didn't do his job and he deserved the fan's disgust. Fifteen million bucks to perform poorly is not something to defend.

I still think you are Erica Berdard using her alter-ego handle of Amanda.

Posted by NewFan

9:04 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Dickey can't be feeling too great after the last three games. Went to at least the 6th in the last 3 starts, conceding 2, 2, 0 yet comes out with a 0 - 1 record. With most other teams he would be 2 - 0.

Posted by Amanda (44)

9:09 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Downonstrikes - Who is Erica Berdard? And why do you think I am her?

No, I am Amanda... havent you heard of me? Im the forever fan of Richie Sexson, and the defender of all Whipping boys. :)

Posted by downonstrikes

9:24 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Well Amanda,
Erica Berdard is the kitty of a pitcher Bavasi aquired for big bucks who has a bad attitude, gives less than a 100% effort, and whimpers when his little toe twitches. She doesn't care about the fans and is a sour grape on the team affecting morale and cohesion.

Defend the whipping boys if you desire and enjoy cellar dwelling the rest of your baseball life.

For me it is easier to support players who give all they can on and off the field and actually look like they respect the fans who ultimately pay their salaries.

This season the M's have played lackadasical baseball and have thumbed their noses at the people who attend their games and watch or listen to them on TV or the radio.

Your positive attitude is nice, but be realistic: this team needs a house cleaning from the top down or we are lost in mediocrity for years to come.

Posted by Chuck

9:29 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Forget the pitching staff for whipping boys. There are enough non-hitters to complete a couple rosters of whipping boys. Chief among them is Vidro. Everytime he is inserted in the lineup it makes Riggleman look bad. Everytime he's inserted in the 4-hole it makes Riggleman look stupid!

Posted by BrianL

9:30 AM, Jul 11, 2008

downonstrikes -

You're also prepared to bash Miguel Batista, yes? He's had just as much of a durability problem as Bedard but has pitched worse.

And really, why are you people mad now? We all knew Bedard had health issues when we traded for him. This is nothing new.

His 102 pitch per game average is nothing new either.

His reluctance to talk to the media is nothing new.

We knew all of this when we traded for him.

Posted by mickey

9:35 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Whats with the Prospect Insider web site. My computer says the site is full of bad stuff that will infect my computer. Says it has software it loads on my computer which has been shown to infect my computer with fatal virsuses. Shows lots of different issues. Any other folks had this issue?

Posted by downonstrikes

9:40 AM, Jul 11, 2008

I agree BrianL,
Batista is on my list as is the FO and Bavasi for making trades that suck worms. Amanda asked about Bedard so I honed in on him. There is enough blame to go around the block with this team. We can even include Lopez and Beteuncourt for their defense that has lacked concentration and desire to be error free. I still shudder when I replay that routine grounder going between Lopez's legs to center field. Yeah, there is lots of finger pointing this season that is warranted.

Fans that defend such awful play get my goat because that ensures the FO will continue its course of non-action or foolish action.

Posted by scrapiron

10:17 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Craig Wilson is another head scratcher. Wilson is a Miguel Cairo/Willie Bloomquist clone, with power instead of speed.

If the purpose of Wilson is to have him play outfield while Ibanez plays first, then why don't you just call up Balentien and let him play left field?

If the purpose of Wilson is to have him play first base, then his 2007 OPS of .531 does nothing for me. The last time he posted an OPS over .800 was 2004, at .823. His power days are behind him. Why not pick up free agent Scott Hatteberg to play first base? His 2007 OPS was .866, so he's a better bet for a turnaround and they wouldn't have had to give up anything to get him.

My guess is they want Wilson to play first base, since Bryan LaHair currently is DHing at Tacoma because of a sore toe, and then in August is supposed to play for the U.S. Olympic team.

Posted by Os fan

10:22 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Watching your team do conduct business is the funniest thing I have ever seen. Except for watching your team play. lol

Posted by Jonathan

10:22 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Because Balentin is doing horrible in AAA. Clement earned his call up, Wlad needs to do the same.

Posted by 11Records

10:27 AM, Jul 11, 2008

What amazes me was that they couldn't snag a low level prospect for Richie, even while picking up the remainder of his salary.

Look at a team like the Marlins - Mike Jacobs hits .230 against lefties. Or in Pittsburgh. Adam LaRoche is hitting .215 against lefties.

Richie vs lefties this year?
344/423/623

You'd think they'd be able to pry SOMETHING from one of those 2 clubs. The Marlins have a legitimate shot at the playoffs and have to face a ton of lefties in their division - Hamels, Moyer, Santana, etc, etc.

Again - kind of glad to see him gone, but APPALLED that the front office gets no value for someone with those platoon splits. Completely asinine.

Furthermore - you can make a case that outside Seattle, he's still productive enough:

260/363/512

Damn straight someone will pick him up in a hurry.

Posted by Os fan

10:29 AM, Jul 11, 2008

You guys comment on your team like it matters. You have a large rebuiling effort in front of you. 98 precent of you teams roster should go. You gave away adam jones . This will go down as one of the worst mistakes in baseball history. Have you seen this kid play? lol

Posted by Mike

10:32 AM, Jul 11, 2008

I know that dwelling on what might have been will make me crazy but over in Baltimore is a CFer with much range who looks to be adjusting to MLB pitching. Over .800 OPS in June. Over 1.000 OPS so far in July. And won't turn 23 until next month. Say, isn't THAT the kind of guy you build around?

Posted by bongo

10:36 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Probably the only board where a fan of a 5th place team in a 5 team division 10.5 games out can come and talk smack. Sad indeed.....

Posted by Os fan

10:44 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Unlike the average ms fan I love what my 5th place team is doing. Lets be honest here if the ms were in the al east they might throw them out of mlb. lol I am enjoying your demise. The reason for this is during the Bedard trade talks man did your team,Fans city come off smug. You are getting what you deserve . I will be here to enjoy it. Thankyou very much. lol

Posted by Esteban

10:46 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Yep, saw him play for 1+ years in Tacoma and followed him through print media before that. He’s definitely the kind of position player that you build your team around, assuming that your FO is staffed with mildly competent individuals. Without checking, I assume that he’s at about 250 ABs now, so his improvement really doesn’t surprise me, as this is how he has handled every promotion while in the woeful Ms organization. But you know what? He really isn’t even the crown jewel of your heist. If Tillman pans out, you’ve got a great TOR guy under team control for his first six years. Congratulations. Plus, I really like the way MacPhail has reshaped your organization.

Posted by Esteban

10:51 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Oops, meant to say:

Os fan wrote: “You gave away adam jones . This will go down as one of the worst mistakes in baseball history. Have you seen this kid play?”

Posted by Os fan

10:52 AM, Jul 11, 2008

wow im glad to see some of you have some actual baseball knowledge. The Os have a long way to go. At least we have staerted down this long road. Its been like ten years for christ sake.lol I wouldnt wish that on you at all. Tillman is nice thanks for pointing that out. We have so manny good young arms in the system I forget sometimes. lol Best of luck .

Posted by Os fan

11:01 AM, Jul 11, 2008

I love to visit you all at least once a weak. The funny thing is I dont even do this on the Os fan site.lol I should get a life. I really hope you take what I say as comic relief. I have lived long enough to see a world series and then well Peter Angelos. So with that being said I wish you all luck.

Posted by stango

11:09 AM, Jul 11, 2008

O's Fan:

It is a little silly to talk smack after the way that Angelos ruined that once-proud franchise.

A lot of us M's fans, on the day of the trade called it for what it was; we didn't want to lose AJ, and certainly not Tillman (those of us who knew who he was) or Sherrill. Some of us knew that we WAY overpaid for an injury prone guy that had never really done anything. Some of us knew that the team had glaring offensive weaknesses and horrible defense as well. Some of us knew that Bedard wouldn't help that much because they weren't as good as their record last year. We doubters were in the minority on this particular blog though, and were often shouted down as "negative".

If anything, you should feel empathy while we watch clueless leadership year in and year out. The only difference between the M's now and the O's after the plunge is our pathetic division has allowed the FO to portray that we have had a contender, when we haven't since 2002.

I wish AJ, Tillman and Sherrill the best, and the O's seem to be (finally!) on the right track. I can only hope that the M's FO can see that this team is nowhere close to contention.

Posted by Mike

11:10 AM, Jul 11, 2008

You have Peter Angelos but we have a chubby singles hitter who no longer can hit and a pinch runner platooning at first base.

Posted by Amanda (44)

11:15 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Downonstrikes...
So I've got your goat huh? Sweet! :) Im still confused, why I would be defending Richie if I were infact E. Bedard? That doesnt make sense.

I agree that Richie hasnt played well... in awhile, but what about the others? What about Ichiro? Maybe he should be the whipping boy. Is he really playing to his potential? Uh, NO. Is he overpaid? Uh, YES. In my opinion, He's no better this season than the rest of the guys on this team.

Im curious, how many games have you gone to this year?

Posted by BrianL

11:18 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Ichiro's leading this team in OBP, AVG, steals, and is the best defensive outfielder on the team.

Posted by Os fan

11:18 AM, Jul 11, 2008

You guys are all right by me. lol As a Os fan the one thing I have held on to over the years is their is always next year. I hope the years dont keep rolling by like they did for me.lol I was 8 when the Os won th ws. I have had to find fun in baseball watching my son play. I hope it does not come to that for you all. I do see the simalarities in the Ms and Os fo. I hope you all find your Andy Mcphail sooner than later peace. Os fan

Posted by stango

11:22 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Ichiro is underperforming, for sure, but he is also like problem #24 on this team.

In no particular order, but way more significant to our losing ways than Ichiro:

Turbo Vidro
Our middle infield (Is Yuni getting wider by the week? He doesn't really look like SS anymore. Singed through 2011. Nice)
Starting pitching.
1B.
Outfield defense.
One LH power bat in a LH paradise.
Bench.

I guess I'll stop there.

Tear this team down and start over.

Posted by MichiMariner

11:29 AM, Jul 11, 2008

dragging this from a previous post, but...

The only thing easier than a cheap shot on the Mariners is a cheap shot--literally on and of Oakland. My family has ddep roots there, but I was born and raised in Seattle. Geoff, love the blog but for the next homestand, lets run a series of pix from you riding a bus down Rainier Avenue from the edge of the International District to Skyway...or, maybe a tour of the high-rent districts in an around Georgetown, a short jaunt south of Safeco.

Looking forward to it

Posted by downonstrikes

12:27 PM, Jul 11, 2008

Well Hi Amanda, we've got to stop meeting like this.

Yeah Ichiro is not as hot as he used to be and has been infected with the blahs this year a bit. This team is becoming a laughing stock and it has appeared that the FO is inept. Sorry.

Since you got personal, I live in the northeast corner of the state and it's an 8 hour drive to a game. Even so, I average about 12 games a year in the stands. The balance of the time I watch the team on Fox Sports or listen on the local radio station if I'm working.

The Mariners have had some great seasons and even in losing seasons past they were entertaining and fun to watch. This year and the end of last season they have been dismal and watching or listening has been disappointing.

Even this season, if the team had showed a real desire to win and interact with the fans I would stand by them and wait for a change of luck. But, they show a "I don't give a damn" attitude and run home with their high salaries to rest their superficial injuries.

Management is not doing the job it should. It's obvious. It's a joke. This week's actions prove it. Keep smiling Amanda. And yes, people like you do frustrate me because you are content with losers. That's great in some aspects of life, but not professional sports.

Jul 11, 08 - 11:53 AM
Bidding war launched?

Jul 10, 08 - 05:32 PM
Morrow blows one, M's lose

Jul 10, 08 - 03:22 PM
Mariners at Oakland A's: 07/10 game thread

Jul 10, 08 - 12:08 PM
Sexson's "body language" final straw

Jul 10, 08 - 10:46 AM
Sexson released; Bedard to DL

What's in a wheel size?new
Dear Tom and Ray: I drive Lincoln Navigators. I like as good a ride as possible for this size vehicle. If I remember correctly, the one I bought in 20...