July 24, 2008 8:14 AM

Hernandez shows something

Posted by Geoff Baker

Sitting at the airport getting ready to fly to Toronto. It occured to me the other day that it was at roughly this time a year ago that Felix Hernandez had one of his two mid-summer meltdowns. The second of those came in Toronto, when a pitch didn't get called the way he wanted. Next thing you know, a couple of home runs are hit off him seconds apart and the game is pretty much done.

I thought about that yesterday as I watched Hernandez battle through that sixth inning jam with the bases loaded and none out. Yes, I know he wound up walking Coco Crisp to force home a run. Mel Stottlemyre went out there to calm him down. To make sure there was no repeat of last summer in Toronto. There was none. Hernandez got through that sixth with his team only down 3-1. Jose Vidro tied it up, mainly because Hernandez didn't bury his club in a 7-1 hole. On a day he didn't have his best stuff, he still went six innings and allowed only three runs. It showed me a lot.

This wasn't like the six-inning, three-run performance he had in Texas back in May. This Boston Red Sox team works pitchers to death. Can destroy them if they show up with less-than-perfect command. The Texas Rangers were hacking that night in May. Hernandez was not in control that night and only some lucky breaks -- like a double play ball drilled right at him instead of into center field -- kept him from getting knocked from the game pretty early on. He was off that entire night and a less-patient Texas squad helped him through some innings. Not so much this time. Against an offense willing to wait him out. Even when he was in trouble against Boston, he still looked like he was in charge. Think of how he obliterated Jason Varitek in that sixth-inning at-bat. Right before the Crisp walk. Hey, I never said Hernandez was perfect. But I'll take what I saw yesterday if that's as bad as it's going to get from here on in.

He's not a true staff ace yet. But he's taken a big step forward this year. He's pitching like an ace several years his senior. Not every time out. But more and more consistently. In a season with little else to be happy about for M's fans, that certainly ranks as the best thing to take out of it.

Here's something to cheer you up after another Mariners loss. A couple of Red Sox fans, we think, have written a song about Manny Ramirez's little run-in with a Seattle police officer on Monday night.

No, it won't win any Grammy Awards. But it beats Milli Vanilli by a nose.

Posted by Geoff

8:35 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Geoff--my brother in name spelling---I'm afraid that song did little to cheer me up. In fact, it was downright awful. "manny being manny" needs a lot of work. Peace out homeslice!

Posted by M Dogg

8:36 AM, Jul 24, 2008

LONG LIVE THE KING!!!!!!!!!

Posted by kaseyswagger

8:39 AM, Jul 24, 2008

1. Felix is a true ace he would be the number 1 pitcher on about 90% of teams I dont know what else he has to prove he has a sub 3.00 ERA

2. Enough with Toronto references its annoying we are in Seattle I dont want to hear all these stories about Toronto bring up a different "Meltdown" that happened dont get me wrong I like to read your posts it just sucks that you have to stick a Toronto reference in the middle of a story.Maybe if we trade for Roy Halladay I will want to hear about Toronto but no more Toronto for atleast a week.

Posted by Greggy

8:53 AM, Jul 24, 2008

WE WANT CONWAY, WE WANT CONWAY, WE WANT CONWAY....

Posted by Avg

8:55 AM, Jul 24, 2008

The best thing about Felix is he is still so young. he is only progressing as he gets older and gets more experience.

What/Who the hell is Conway???

Posted by wag the dog

8:58 AM, Jul 24, 2008

If the Mariners need motivation to get serious about a rebuild that brings in skilled young talent I think they need look no further than Felix. I can't see Felix re-signing with the Mariners if all he has to look forward to is being surrounded by a bunch of aging, mediocre, expensive players. Changing the roster building philosophy of this team might be the first and best way (besides a mammoth pay day) to convince Felix to re-up in Seattle.

Posted by Oly Mike

9:01 AM, Jul 24, 2008

"Seattle Mariners declare nut-free sections at Safeco" I don't think there is a "NUT FREE" section at Safeco Field. Anybody that goes there has to be NUTS to pay big bucks to watch this miserable team!!!!!1

Posted by scrapiron

9:03 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Felix - one more inning
Bedard - 99 and out

The Mariners acquired Bedard to be their "ace". Almost immediately after the trade he was named the opening day starter. Ever since then, Felix has outperformed Bedard both on and off the field.

Jamie Burke was quoted the other day saying he didn't even know Bedard. He said the reporters probably knew Erik as well as he did. And this is the guy that was named Bedard's personal catcher for a while!

Conversely, Felix shows a determination to win on the field and the team rallies around him knowing that they have a good chance of winning every fifth day. He wants to help his team win, even if he has an injury. Off the field, the players are still talking about how Felix brags what a great hitter he is.

Bottom line, Felix is a leader, and an ace. Bedard is not. Hitch your wagon to King Felix, and let's build a rotation around him.

Posted by M's Fan in DC

9:04 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Felix is the Ace of the Mariners. He has been since he got here. He will only get better.

Posted by Beniitec

9:10 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Great song. How about a song about bad management of the M's? ;) Just joking. Those are some real fans IMHO. Thanks for sharing Geoff.

Posted by M's Fan

9:17 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Here's a quesion/topic: How much longer is Felix under contract? What are the chances of him signing an extension with the M's before he becomes a free agent?

Posted by downonstrikes

9:21 AM, Jul 24, 2008

See how much fun it is watching young talent develop? It's enjoyable! We caught the fever with Bucky, Griffey, A-Rod, and others only to see them leave. But while they were here, they were fun to see at the game and losing became a little less annoying. It would be nice to bring up or trade for more enthusiastic players with potential than watching burned out over-the-hillers try to win the division this year.

Felix, thanks for being a bright spot for this team.

Posted by NB

9:33 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Scrap,

So if I buy a toaster to help me with my taxes is it the toaster's fault that it just keeps browning my W-2 as opposed to filling it out for me?

Bedard is a good pitcher. He is also fragile. That was true in Baltimore, it's true now.

Posted by Greggy

9:42 AM, Jul 24, 2008

WE WANT CONWAY, WE WANT CONWAY, WE WANT CONWAY...

Posted by Village Idiot

9:44 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Scrap,

I'm not surprised Jamie doesn't really know Bedard. Jamie has done more on the mound to help this team feel like a team than Erik ever will. Jamie is too busy doing his job and more to get to know a whiney Canadian bust.

Posted by fish93

9:45 AM, Jul 24, 2008

I just read something interesting on a MLB Trade Rumors site. They said that Ibanez could become a Type A free agent which gives two comp. picks in the next draft. Why not keep Ibanez through this year and get the two picks. This would be better than what we could gt for him right before the Trading Deadline. Heres the link:

Its the third story down.

Posted by BrianL

9:49 AM, Jul 24, 2008

fish93 - Dave Cameron wrote up a piece about this a few days ago. If Seattle doesn't get at least a B+ grade prospect in a trade proposal, I'd hang on to Ibanez and let him walk in the offseason.

Posted by kaseyswagger

9:54 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Hey Geoff how about some news on Washburn and maybe Jose Vidro possibly being traded to New York for Kei Igawa and a mid-level prospect with the Yanks eating all the salary.

Posted by Gregie

10:05 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Felix wouldnt have walked in Crisp, if stinkin Johima knew how to receive the baseball.. the first two pitches to Crisp, showed up as strikes on the "Joe's Tracer" thing, but Johjima stabbed at both balls, and didnt frame them well..

Posted by doug

10:06 AM, Jul 24, 2008

joe's tracer is about as accurate as eric bedard is tough. i hate johjima more than i hate shaun alexander, but i dont think he can be blamed for that

Posted by Ryan

10:07 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Felix has pitched like an ace all year. Too bad his record doesn't indicate that. It's not his fault. At least we have one pitcher who shows up to do his job every night and doesn't come out at 99 pitches.

Posted by Ryan

10:13 AM, Jul 24, 2008

If we can get the Yankees to pry Johjima away from us, since they need a catcher, that would solve one problem. I'm not sure I would trade Wash and Johjima for Kei Igawa. He's been a bust too. I'd almost rather hang on to Vidro at this point than Johjima.

Posted by BrianL

10:13 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Gregie - Joe's Tracer is awful. If you want a similar tool that actually works, use MLB.com's Gameday. It incorporates the PitchF/X system, two high-speed cameras that can pinpoint where the ball crosses the plate and what kind of break it has.

That said, CoCo Crisp should have been out on strikes according to Gameday.

Posted by Ryan

10:21 AM, Jul 24, 2008

I just read on the MLB trade rumors site that the Yankees are interested in 4 catchers, Kenji isn't one of them. I guess there's not much market for a catcher batting .202 and making 8 million.

Posted by Ryan

10:24 AM, Jul 24, 2008

WSUx3,

To answer your question: Yes!!

Magnified even more by the fact that he can't hit either.

Posted by ethan

10:29 AM, Jul 24, 2008

i hate Kenji Johjima. just look at his face. it has an OPS of .2ugly.
good thing we have busloads of pygmy anime Hello Kitty "Fresh Fruits" to fill the stands up for our owners.

Posted by king's ransom

10:33 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Eligible for arbitration in '09? Time to break out the check book!

Posted by Bums

10:40 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Have the wonderful M's FO offered him a real contract yet? I have heard he has and turned it down to eventually do on the open market. Is this true? I sure hope they have offered him some real money for what he already does for this awful team, especially since they love to pay mediocrity so much. I get this feeling he is gone the minute he gets a chance just like a superstars throughout the history of this team. Might as well enjoy having him around before he goes.

Posted by scrapiron

10:42 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Dan Graziano of the Star Ledger has posted a story saying the Roy Halladay has expressed his displeasure with the Blue Jays and would welcome a trade.

Since the M's are heading to Toronto, maybe this is a good time to discuss this. Erik Bedard has hinted that he would consider the Blue Jays as a team to play for when he's a free agent. Why not trade Bedard to the Blue Jays for Halladay? We'd probably have to sweeten the deal for Toronto, but why not?

Bedard is unhappy in Seattle, Halladay is unhappy in Toronto. Maybe a change of scenery would do them both good.

Posted by scrapiron

10:45 AM, Jul 24, 2008

NB - Erik Bedard, Mariners is not close to Erik Bedard, Orioles. As I've stated before, Erik Bedard would have to throw PQS 4 and 5 starts every start the rest of the season just to equal what he did in Baltimore in 2007.

Injuries may be the cause, but would you rather have 99 and out, or a pitcher like Felix that when they slide into his ankle he begs the trainer to let him pitch one more inning?

Posted by BrianL

10:54 AM, Jul 24, 2008

WSUx3 - You'd rather have Miguel Batista over Erik Bedard?

Posted by Bill

10:54 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Rhodes to the Marlins?

If I were the Yankees I wouldn't touch Johjim either.

Posted by BrianL

11:03 AM, Jul 24, 2008

WSUx3 -

Pitching through pain while posting a 6.89 ERA, 1.96 WHIP, with a 5.94 FIP is clearly the correct thing to do and in no way will hurt your team.

And since it can often be hard to detect on the internet, yes, I am being incredibly sarcastic right now.

Posted by Geoff's Assistant

11:10 AM, Jul 24, 2008

WSU x3 moron.

Bedard when healthy is better pitcher than Felix. but lets keep bashing him and hope he just decides to start pitching though injuries, thats usually the best way for them to go away.

Posted by diablo

11:10 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Last night game is disapointing to say the least but we need to cut Jim some slack and take a step back to look at what he has been able to do with this team. I am tired of the fair weather mariner fans. Keep the game on, endore the pain, and hope to be rewarded... Thats what it means to be a fan, esp. a Mariner fan... Injuries happen... Thats baseball.. LETS GO MARINERS!

Posted by diablo

11:15 AM, Jul 24, 2008

It's a tough loss, now lets move on. The mariners will play better ball and we need to look at that as the bigger picture. The loss last night hurt me because I told myself we got this, but that was not the case. Oh well! Now, tomorrow will tell the true mariners club and how they respond.

Posted by Paul

12:04 PM, Jul 24, 2008

I think scrap hit the nail on the head with his first comment.

Bedard may not be useless a 3.97 ERA is pretty good and 6-4 could easily be 8-2 with more run support but his attitude sucks and Felix is a workhorse. Biggest mistake this year was giving Bedard the No. 1 spot before spring training started.

I think the real problem, though, is the fact that we're carrying three catchers. We know Bedard is 99 and done, but Johjima's taking up space on a roster that could use another long reliever for every fifth day.

(OK, well, that's not entirely fair. The "real problem" is that hardly anyone on this team wants to work for one another and the M's are an effing disaster.)

Posted by Disappointed in Spokane

12:50 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Too bad a few good players have to carry the team this season. Good for Hernandez, Ichiro, Reed and Ibanez who seem to come through and keep the bats hot when the rest of the team is not.

Maybe OKC needs a new baseball team too! We can call them the OKC Cowpokes.

Oh well, like we've been saying for years, there is always next year. Oh yea!

Posted by Ryan

1:04 PM, Jul 24, 2008

WSUx3,

I agreed with you about Johjima, in no way will I accept Batista over Bedard. Batista is crap, has been all year. Bedard, when healthy, is comparable if not better than Felix. It's too bad that we haven't seen a healthy Eric Bedard, because then we might have 42 wins instead of 38. Bottom line is, I don't care who pitches, if they have to throw a shutout every time to win a game, that's hard to do.

Felix Hernandez: 7-6 2.95.... no one with a 2.95 ERA should only be 7-6. This team has glaring holes that go way, way beyond the pitching.

Posted by Ryan

1:06 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Re: Paul

Carrying three catchers is one of our problems, yes!! The other is a DH that can't run, hit for power, and only hitting .230. I would, however, keep him over Johjima. The incompetency of the front office is the biggest problem though.

Posted by scrapiron

1:34 PM, Jul 24, 2008

DOMINANT vs. DISASTER
Pure Quality Start (PQS) grades every start from 0 to 5 and is a more accurate stat than just Quality Start. A Dominant Start is a 4 or 5, a Disaster Start is a 0 or 1. So with that, are our two free agent acquisitions doing better or worse this year?

Erik Bedard
2007 75% DOM, 7% DIS
2008 40% DOM, 27% DIS
Clearly, Bedard is down from last year. '07 was amazing, '08 just average.

Carlos Silva
2007 19% DOM, 35% DIS
2008 33% DOM, 29% DIS
Silva is actually performing slightly better than last year. In '07 Silva had 14 PQS 2 or 3 starts. Not Dominant, not a Disaster, just average.

How about our returning pitchers? How much better is Felix this year?
Felix Hernandez
2007 46% DOM, 4% DIS
2008 63% DOM, 11% DIS
Last year he rarely got lit up, but he didn't dominant either. This year he's moved a lot of his mediocre performances to Dominant, so definate improvement. You'll also notice that his '08 numbers are very close to Bedard's '07 numbers, when he was highly prized.

Jarrod Washburn
2007 27% DOM, 40% DIS
2008 37% DOM, 26% DIS
What to say? He's, uh, slightly better than Silva.

Posted by Greggy

1:45 PM, Jul 24, 2008

WE WANT CONWAY, WE WANT CONWAY, WE WANT CONWAY...

Posted by scrapiron

1:47 PM, Jul 24, 2008

I read an article a while back, I wish I could quote the source but I can't, that asked an anonymous GM to assess the Mariners roster. His conclusion?

1. No need for 3 catchers. That's foolish.
2. Cairo and Bloomquist have the same skillset. You need one, but not both.
3. No run-producing DH on the roster.
4. Bullpen is solid. Use those excess pieces to trade and fill the other holes on the roster.

These are a fellow GM's comments, not mine. I think everyone on the blogosphere agrees as well.

Just goes to show you what a real GM would do to begin fixing the team. I wish we could get a real GM in here so we can turn the page and start anew.

Posted by scrapiron

2:01 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Jayson Stark mentions that the Twins are still trying to get Adrian Beltre. He also said the Dodgers have backed out of talks for Beltre when they learned that they are on Beltre's no-trade list. I guess Adrian is still bitter at LA.

Posted by Capo

2:16 PM, Jul 24, 2008

I agree, in a very bleak season, Felix has been a huge silver lining.

Coming from someone who didn't hold Felix in the same high regard as others, I have watched him make huge strides this year.

Posted by JP

2:33 PM, Jul 24, 2008

"Internally strife and indecision permiates in the M's FO over who to trade or not trade" -Prominent MLB writer says. Also states that more than likely the M's will be quiet and the deadline will pass with nary a move made.

Shocker, strife and indecision in the FO? Can't be!

Posted by ken

2:39 PM, Jul 24, 2008

In Sept., I'd love to see the M's promote Adam Moore and give him some starts at catcher. Sounds like he may be a better catcher/MLB hitter than Clement. If he looks like it'll work out, this would push Joh and his .202 average down to #3 catcher and would maybe convince him & his agent that it would be best to have the M's sell his contract back to a Japanese team. Joh looks to have grown old fast and he hasn't worked to improve his game any.

Posted by JP

2:40 PM, Jul 24, 2008

WSU X3: Check it out but i do beleive Felix has the fourth lowest ERA(2.95) in the AL and is ranked 9th in all MLB. Not an ace? Record is not indicative of a players performance. How many NO decisions does he have? How bout run support?

Moyer? 3.76 ERA in NL translation 4.35 if he was in the AL.

Posted by BrianL

2:43 PM, Jul 24, 2008

WSUx3 - "Uhm, excuse me but felix is barely over .500. Aces arent hovering around mediocrity. Why did we trade moyer again?"

I...I mean....oh dear...

I just can't put together a string of words to refute this impeccable logic.

Ladies and gentlemen, we're all wrong! Felix is not a dominant pitcher. Look at his record, it's only 7-6!

FELIX SUCKS!

Ugh I feel dirty.

Posted by jp

2:46 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Ken big rush to judgment on Clement. When the current coach barely plays him how can we judge his abilities. Moore will be a quality catcher some day but jeesh he is in AA right now. Do you really think that he could just walk right in and light it up.

Agree with you on Johjima. All of us here know that this was an owner move not a GM move.

Posted by Greggy

2:47 PM, Jul 24, 2008

WE WANT CONWAY, WE WANT CONWAY, WE WANT CONWAY...

Posted by jp

2:51 PM, Jul 24, 2008

BrianL i'm with you. WSUX3 has the same attitude that our last GM had. Well WASH won like 18 games one season so he has to be an ace. UMMM Yeah how has he done every other year. Wins do not equate to Ace. "We are all now dumber for having listened to what WSUX3 just said, we award him no points and may god have mercy on his soul" -Billy Madison

Posted by jp

3:12 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Trivia question for WSUX3 can you name the 10th best Catcher in MLB (batting stats) that i have provided.
AB: 315
H:81
HR: 1
RBI: 26
BA: .257
GAMES: 92

That's right the 10th best Catcher statistically IN ALL OF THE MLB is Jason Kendall. You mean to to tell me that if we made Clement the "EVERYDAY" Catcher (not fill in DH) That he couldn't put up Kendall numbers? Come on guys stop being so miopic.

Posted by bongo

3:14 PM, Jul 24, 2008

"those scouting reports about Clement having a slow bat and unable to hit mlb speed pitching was correct." Please share. The reports I have seen do not share that view.

Posted by BrianL

3:14 PM, Jul 24, 2008

WSUx3 - Clement historically has struggled for about 3-4 months each time he moves up a level. Let him play it out.

Posted by ken

3:16 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Clement should get some consistent starts during August - no point in putting Joh out there except on Sunday day games as we've seen enough of what little he offers these days. It sounds as though Adam Moore will get promoted to play in Tacoma soon and I'd love to see how he handles the jump. The jump to AAA hasn't worked out well for Michael Saunders and 2B prospect/suspect Valbuena who both are really struggling after hitting well at AA.

Posted by jp

3:26 PM, Jul 24, 2008

i think it was that prospect insider guy. its pretty obvious he sucks tho, balentien was out hitting him so is vidro. why do u guys want vidro n sexon gon when their avg was way higher? and aces dont barely win half their games srry

Speaking in tongues does not allow for us to properly respond to your posts.

Posted by BrianL

3:27 PM, Jul 24, 2008

You're citing a Prospect Insider article in which Jason Churchill talked to one scout who thought Clement had slow batspeed. No other scout agreed with that scout.

I'm pretty certain Churchill didn't agree with that scout either.

Posted by BrianL

3:28 PM, Jul 24, 2008

You're also dead wrong if you think Felix can win consistently without run support.

Felix is good, but even he cannot win a game -1 to 0.

Posted by bongo

3:29 PM, Jul 24, 2008

why do u guys want vidro n sexon gon when their avg was way higher? How long has each of them been in the league? He needs more than a couple of months for anyone to judge that he "sucks". I would love to see that report that said he has slow bat speed. Every one I have read says just the opposite. Now is the time to give the young guys a shot and either sit or DFA the has beens.

Posted by TimsHead

4:01 PM, Jul 24, 2008

If you ever want an indication of how misleading won-loss record can be, look no further than last week when Felix, then 6-6, faced Cleveland's Aaron Laffey, also a .500 (5-5) pitcher.

Laffey's line ... and remember, it's against a very weak Mariners lineup: 3.2 innings, 9 hits, 3 ER (because the M's can't hit with RISP), 2 BB, 1 K. (In the next game, Laffey surrendered 12 hits and 8 ER in 4 innings vs. the Angels.)

Felix that game? 6 IP, 4 hits, 2 ER, 2 BB, 8 K. (In the next game, Felix gave up 6 hits and 2 ER to a _very_ good Bosox team.)

Moreover, here's an intangible. When Felix loaded the bases with none out, I thought he had a chance to get out of it. Especially after those two gutsy strikeouts. Yes, he gave up the walk to Coco (after two questionable strike calls), but bounced back to escape it.

How many other Mariners starters would you think have any chance of getting out of bases loaded, none outs? Anyone?

Re-signing Felix should be Seattle's #1, 2 and 3 priorities.

Posted by tallahassee-mariner's fan

4:02 PM, Jul 24, 2008

as a rays fan, THANKS mariners on a job well done with the BoSox.

Posted by Mike

4:03 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Using wins to evaluate pitching is, well, let's look why Felix's 7-6 record is misleading. He's had 6 starts where he did not get a decision. In those starts he posted the following...

7 innings 0 earned runs
8 innings 0 earned runs
7 innings 2 earned runs
6 innings 2 earned runs
4.2 innings 1 earned run (injury)
6 innings 2 earned runs.

Obviously he could not have received a win in the games he went 4.2 but easily could have in the other 5 with any semblance of an offense. 12-6 would look downright overpowering and, um, acelike. But that's why wins are a lousy way to measure pitcher effectiveness.

Posted by The Centerfield Bum

4:27 PM, Jul 24, 2008

This is totally off topic, but I thought I post this link for those that don't have it.

Posted by 11Records

4:37 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Cha Seung Baek has as many bombs since May as Jose Vidro. And - a way better home run trot:

Posted by scottM

4:49 PM, Jul 24, 2008

scrapiron:

That would be great if a Halliday for Bedard trade could be arranged. There's our replacement ACE an unquestionable work ethic, a leader by example, etc. He wouldn't come cheap, but would be worth it.

What we know about Bedard is that he came to Seattle with a chip on his shoulder. That personality quirk was apparent the first days he was here. I still assume that his health has actually been poor this season.

The hole this franchise has dug with Erik and Erik with the franchise is:

1). He is being overly blamed for a shipwreck of a season.
2). People don't believe that he is hurt.
3). The chip-on-the-shoulder has only gotten much worse because of #1 and #2. With the media (listen to KJR-AM especially) routinely jumping him, with Bavasi dissing him as he exited, the climate to keep Bedard, even if we want to and he is willing, may have become an insurmountable problem.

If Halliday truly wants out of Toronto, and Bedard wants out of Seattle, this may be a rare win-win scenario for these two franchises. I still believe, when healthy, Bedard is one heck of a pitcher. Halliday has also had health issues, but is also one heck of a pitcher.

GEOFF, tell Pelekoudas he has permission to pursue this trade, NOW.

Posted by ethan

5:01 PM, Jul 24, 2008

went to the Giants game today... it was fun to watch a professional team and organization. maybe the Nationals and Mariners could join forces and create a new Little League enterprise.

Posted by Maria in TJ

5:04 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Those prospect insider guys are smart. They said Jose Lopez has a poor approach, they even broke down his swing how afwul and slow it is and how his hips don't move. They have their own special scouts on that site.

JP, do you know if Jesse Foppert or Marcus Carvajal are still pitching in pro baseball?

Posted by scrapiron

5:15 PM, Jul 24, 2008

scottm - I agree. It's hard to get a take on Bedard because he talks so little, but I honestly don't think he likes playing for Seattle. He did mention in one of his quotes he hated the long plane flights that he has to make now. So Toronto would help the flight schedule too.

I don't know how much more they would want to make this happen. Toronto has also not mentioned any interest in Bedard, so they might not want him, but I'd be on the phone finding out.

Thoughts from Pelekoudas