July 25, 2008 8:51 PM

Lowe blows it in 10th

Posted by Geoff Baker

Jeremy Reed looked to have saved the night for the Mariners with an RBI single in the 10th, but Mark Lowe loaded the bases with two out in the bottom of the frame and served up a first-pitch single to Joe Inglett that loses it for Seattle.

Inglett's ball went off the glove of a leaping Ichiro. Two runs came in and Seattle loses 5-4. That kind of night.

"I think I read it,'' Ichiro said, through an interpreter, of how he played the ball off the bat.

"I have to catch it like that because it touched my glove,'' he said.

In other words, he timed his leap OK. Feels it was his play to make.

On to J.J. Putz. who blew a save in the eighth. Putz had trouble getting his splitter over to the first three hitters, made an adjusment, then got out of the rest of the inning unscathed. But he allowed the tying run to score.

"The toughest thing with being a reliever is you don't have a lot of time to be able to find things,'' he said. "You've got to be quick. Today, I wasn't quick enough.''

Putz still took plenty of positives out of the outing. It wasn't perfect, but he eventually did find the splitter. With more outings, he feels it will come to him quicker.

"It's just one of those things where the more you throw, the more out of it you get, the better,'' he said. "Obviously, the better you're going to be with stuff, command and everything like that. I had it the other day against Boston. I threw some great splits there and then today, for whatever reason, it was flat early.

"But I was able to make an adjustment. It could have been a lot worse.''

Not much else to say. Miguel Batista came out of the game mid-batter because he "was gassed'' is what manager Jim Riggleman said. Riggleman later pulled Arthur Rhodes after a passed ball had moved a runner into scoring position with him facing a righty hitter. That's a potential positioning problem with fielders and you're better off having a righty in there.

By the way, Lowe was set to go up to three innings. Riggleman then would have put R.A. Dickey in and gone with a combination of relievers tomorrow. No Jamie Burke. Jeff Clement isn't healthy enough to catch yet and Burke was the only catcher left.

So, that's six losses in a row. Going to be a long final two months, I suspect.

Posted by Pirata Morado

7:45 PM, Jul 25, 2008

Good job by the umps! Why don't you say a thing about the ump don't callng anything on Morrow and now on Lowe, and that call on second base too?

Posted by BrianL

7:46 PM, Jul 25, 2008

On second viewing, that play Ichiro didn't make was not as routine as I thought it was.

Posted by Batter Up!!!

7:47 PM, Jul 25, 2008

You got to love these guys.... NOT!

Thank God for Football!

Posted by Batter Up!!!

7:50 PM, Jul 25, 2008

Losers find another way to lose...

Posted by bringonfootball

7:51 PM, Jul 25, 2008

Nothing about the umps, game was blown by Lowe pure and simple.

Not to put the blame just on him, the M's have blown plenty of games this year where they have led, and have seen plenty of games they were never in.

Still can't believe all of the media that thought this team would be good. Of course I thought they had .500 potential, and I was clearly wrong on that.

Posted by Briguy17

7:56 PM, Jul 25, 2008

"Lowe blows it in the 10th"???? How about "Ichiro blows it in the 10th"?

Ichiro HAS GOT to make that catch. He's a freaking gold glover!

Ichiro is declining and losing interest in playing for this team. Trade him before it's too late. Watch, he won't even win a gold glove this year.

He'll even struggle to get to 200 hits again. Oh, and his average dropped to .296, the lowest by far it's ever been this late in the season.

Posted by Ronaldo

7:57 PM, Jul 25, 2008

HOw bout putting some blame on our 15 million dollar outfielder, who cant catch a freakin ball to save the game..

Posted by JuneauTom

7:57 PM, Jul 25, 2008

Don't know if its been mentioned yet, but the Yankee's picked up Marte and Nady. Does this throw a crowbar at a Washburn trade?

Posted by BrianL

7:57 PM, Jul 25, 2008

Everyone is going to blame Ichiro for the loss today, most likely will conveniently forget that Mark Lowe looked absolutely awful.

That was a play Ichiro should have made, but was in no way routine. Of course, had Lowe not allowed the Jays to go on a hitting spree and walked the world, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Posted by ~MARINER 4 LIFE~

8:05 PM, Jul 25, 2008

Is there any reason that we used 4 pitcher to get 1 2/3 innings of hitters out tonight? We are short staff and taxed out because of this starting rotation already, can this bullpen really be thrown around like this? Let one of those guys an inning and you might have an option in the 10th besides Lowe (who's arm is probably getting tired at this point of the season, remember he hasnt survived a full MLB season yet).....

Posted by EricD

8:18 PM, Jul 25, 2008

Lowe did not blow it. The replay at 2nd was not shown enough to be conclusive. I thought the runner was out.

Then Ichiro, ironically on the day that a headline in today's paper talks about his glove, misplayed the ball.

The Mariners season of woe continues.

Posted by BrianL

8:24 PM, Jul 25, 2008

EricD - Lowe had no control, left a ton of pitches up in the zone, and walked the bases loaded. If it wasn't for terrific play by Miguel Cairo, the game would have been over before Inglett came up to the plate.

Posted by CheapSeats

8:31 PM, Jul 25, 2008

What was Riggy doing? Watching another game on the monitor?

A good Manager replaces Lowe.

Gold Glove players make that play look routine, period!

Posted by Briguy17

8:35 PM, Jul 25, 2008

Know what's funny? The main article in today's sports page was about Ichiro's glove and everything about how it's made.

Funny how Ichiro's glove costs us the same night there's an article about it in the paper.

Seattle Times, you jinxed the Mariners! I blame YOU for the loss!

Posted by EricD

8:36 PM, Jul 25, 2008

BrianL,

If they record the out at 2nd, the game is different.

From one replay, it looked to me like the runner was out.

Morrow also was "all over the place," but escaped.

Who else was supposed to pitch?

The key was for Ichiro to make the catch. It did hit his glove, and it was a situation where the catch had to be made.

Posted by goose

8:50 PM, Jul 25, 2008

That ball was imminently catchable. Ichiro made it look more difficult than it actually was and ultimately blew it. Lowe may not have been sharp but the out was there to be had and Ichiro didn't make the play.

Posted by BrianL

9:01 PM, Jul 25, 2008

There's blame to go around in this game. Putz was going with an ineffectual curveball/slider and allowed a run, Lowe was awful, Ichiro misread a ball.

Point is, today's loss is not 100% Ichiro's fault. I find it odd that people are more furious with Ichiro than they were at WIllie Bloomquist a few days ago.

Posted by Top pick in 09 draft

9:09 PM, Jul 25, 2008

In 2010 when we have Stephen Strasburg, #1 pick in the 09 draft, in our rotation to go along with Felix, the pain from this season will seem almost worthwhile. JJ isn't looking right and at age 32, I think his best days may be behind him. M's may have no choice but to keep Morrow as our closer as not having a dependable closer is devastating to a team (remember the days of Ayala & Slocumb). Has anyone heard about any progress in getting Josh Fields signed? Our FO is in such disaray that they may not get him signed as the 8/15 signing deadline approaches.

Posted by BrianL

9:13 PM, Jul 25, 2008

Top pick in 09 draft - JJ looked fine once he found the rotation on his splitter. I wouldn't write him off yet, let's see what he does in August/September.

Besides, finding a competent closer is much easier than finding a decent starting pitcher. Let's give Morrow a shot as a starter and see what happens. If it fails, send him back to the bullpen.

Posted by MarkB

9:15 PM, Jul 25, 2008

Tell Nobuyoshi Tsubota that he made Ichiro's glove too small this time.

I guess Continuous Quality Improvement will have to reamin his goal.

Ichiro belongs in Center Field anyway; we've got to get a power bat back in Right.

Posted by Oly Mike

9:41 PM, Jul 25, 2008

Mariners Law (Murphy can No Longer lay Claim to it): If anything can go wrong it will!!!! And if it wasn't for Bad Luck the Mariners wouldn’t have any luck at all. I tried in a previous post to explain this woeful season as being something intangible and unexplainable by Sabermetrics, traditional evaluation or common baseball wisdom. It is just plain awful. Nobody is doing well including Ichiro, Morrow and even Felix. And nothing Mariner management does is right. This team was Born under a Bad Sign and won’t change until the demons have been totally exorcised. That could mean getting rid of almost everyone from Yamaguichi, Lincoln & Armstrong all the way down to the Bat Boys, Ball Girls and Peanut vendors (they are going to be cut short now because peanuts aren’t allowed in all seating sections). Cast the demons out into a flock of seagulls or something that can fly away and torment someone else. Crucify the Bobbleheads and Burn the Rally Fries. I just can’t think of anything else. Everything else that can be said has been said on this blog. We have beat this rotting corpse to death verbally and it is not going to rise from the dead without the injection of new life. I don’t know what or who that might be. But something supernatural is needed!!!!

Posted by oink

10:12 PM, Jul 25, 2008

where are all the numbmuts now that say closing is soooo easy. Come on numbnuts, tell me how easy it is to close a major league game. Tell me how ANYONE and their nana can do it. What BS.
Putz blew the friggin game NOT Lowe.

Posted by Walla Walla Girl

10:26 PM, Jul 25, 2008

This team is depressing. Oly Mike (9:41) summed up my thoughts and then some.

There were a few highlights tonight, but the culture of losing came through in the end.

Can we fire everyone and bring in scabs as replacements? Can we finish cleaning the FO before attempting a team makeover? Can we replace the FO, coaches, and players with Bagheads and Geoff Baker's Bloggers?

Posted by Dave from the extreme coast

10:34 PM, Jul 25, 2008

LOWE blew it? How about the all-star right fielder who didn't catch the ball? I respect Ichiro for all he has done over the years, but I must admit his act wears a bit thin at times. Ichiro was moved to Right field 'cos he's more at home there. Meantime, Willie Bloomquist, who everyone seems ready to crucify, played like an all-star tonight. Honestly, though, maybe it's no one's fault. I've almost come to expect the M's to find new ways of losing, which they did again tonight. But...and this is important...they were COMPETITIVE. They didn't roll over. They fought. But this M's season is turning into a comedy of the tragic kind. Nobody told me there'd be days like these.

Posted by C Diddy

10:41 PM, Jul 25, 2008

I don't know why everyone can not see this. The mariners are not going to be good for a long time. They have the least team chemistry out of any sports team I have ever seen. Untill we get a "Real" head coach, McLearn was far from it Riggleman is even farther we are dead in the water. We don't have a single player that will hit 30 HR's and havent for quite a few years. Ibanez is are only player that will come close to getting 100 RBI's we are so far out of contention it's unreal. I watch every game cuase I love the game of baseball but we are so far off from winning ball games. We have so many changes we need to make in the off season it's impossible for us to make the play offs untill the 2010 season...And that's still a long shot...For crying outloud OUR majority OWNER has never been to Safeco Field....He just wants to collect a check and can careless if we win a game..

Posted by Dave from the frustrated coast

10:53 PM, Jul 25, 2008

I heard the game on radio. Later on, I watched the "Instant Replay" game broadcast...and Ichiro has made that kind of catch literally HUNDREDS of times over the years, and many more difficult than that one. Ichiro says, "I think I read the ball?" What the heck kind of answer is THAT?

Posted by Dave from the frustrated coast

10:54 PM, Jul 25, 2008

Posted by BrianL

10:55 PM, Jul 25, 2008

Dave from the extreme coast - So I take it since you are calling for Ichiro's head on a bad read, you're also going to hold Willie Bloomquist to the same standard for dropping a fly-ball in extra innings a few days ago?

Posted by AtomicGarden

11:01 PM, Jul 25, 2008

C Diddy: With a $120 million payroll and (assuming) we get a halfway decent GM, we're not going to be this bad next season. Depending on a lot of factors, we could even compete. This season has been hilariously bad, but there's some hope for the future. Once we start shedding some of the aging payroll, it's not going to take that long to fix. This all assumes we don't hire Steve Phillips or something to be our next GM.

Posted by BrianL

11:04 PM, Jul 25, 2008

AtomicGarden - If we hire Steve Phillips, I'll go ahead and start the line for M's fans who wish to jump off the Aurora Bridge.

Posted by Bill

11:25 PM, Jul 25, 2008

I didn't catch the whole game so forgive my ignorance, but:

Was it necessary to use the entire bullpen in a game where there were only 4 runs scored by the opponent?

I haven't seen JJ pitch since he came off the DL but his stats have been good until tonight, and tonight he was throwing strikes, but his strikes seemed to be meatballs.

I would have preferred to see JJ pitch the 9th and perhaps save Morrow for the 10th.

I thought Reed should have had that play that Overbay hit to CF that went over his head.

I thought Ichiro should have made that catch at the end.

Posted by Bill

11:27 PM, Jul 25, 2008

Oh, and does anybody else think like me, namely that when the M's are about to go into extra innings I just hope the opponent puts them out of their misery ASAP?

Posted by scottM

11:27 PM, Jul 25, 2008

BTW, Mike, I read this after scratching my head over GEOFF's comment:

177 American League hitters have come to the plate 100 or more times this year. Tonight our "batting" order features #150, #151, #164, #168 and #174. For insurance #s 153 and 165 are on the bench.

Then I laughed my ass off. What a perspective on just how putrid this M's offense really is!

Posted by Dave from the extremely frustrated coast

11:35 PM, Jul 25, 2008

BrianL: What I'm saying is, that Ichiro is supposed to be this all-star player who is so doggone phenomenal, while Willie doesn't get to play full time, has been constantly underrated, and has never given less than full effort whenever he's been called upon to play any one of a number of positions. Could be that Willie's more essential than Ichiro! Everyone's called for Willies' head in this blog, yet the person who writes the blog says Lowe blew it, when most obviously, ICHIRO blew it? I would almost think that Ichiro is being "shielded" here. THAT'S what I was saying. OKAY?

Posted by BrianL

12:00 AM, Jul 26, 2008

Dave from the extremely frustrated coast - Good players make mistakes from time to time. It happens, that's why you didn't see me raking Willie over the coals when he dropped an easy flyball.

Posted by Wolfie

12:27 AM, Jul 26, 2008

I feel so sorry for the Seahawks. The Mariners are always losing and the Sonics are lost altogether, so all of our sports passions rest on the shoulders of the men on the gridiron.

And that's an awesome find, Scott. Sure, people can get on Ichiro's case for missing this catch, but if you want to see why this season is in the toilet, you need look no further than that post. Who knows...maybe if our team wasn't so abysmal then Ichiro has more concentration and doesn't drop that ball. All-star or not, Ichiro's human and you've got to think all this losing and being on these failteams for so many years all culminating with the debacle that is this season would wear on even the most rigid of psyches. Not saying Ichiro shouldn't have made the catch, but you've got to feel for the guy who has been with this team from the time it was good and all the way through its plummet to what we have today.

Posted by Faceplant

1:22 AM, Jul 26, 2008

"Nothing about the umps, game was blown by Lowe pure and simple."

As big of an Ichiro fan I am, that's a catch he has to make.

Of course if Lowe hadn't loaded the bases this wouldn't matter.

Posted by Faceplant

1:28 AM, Jul 26, 2008

"LOWE blew it? How about the all-star right fielder who didn't catch the ball? I respect Ichiro for all he has done over the years, but I must admit his act wears a bit thin at times. Ichiro was moved to Right field 'cos he's more at home there. Meantime, Willie Bloomquist, who everyone seems ready to crucify, played like an all-star tonight."

I find it more amusing that people easily forget Bloomquists terrible CF defense the last few weeks because he had one decent game, and crucify Ichiro for missing one flyball.

Posted by BrianL

1:30 AM, Jul 26, 2008

Faceplant - Yes, Ichiro has to make that catch.

You're also right in the fact that Lowe didn't do the team any favors by loading the bases.

You could say that Reed should have taken a better route on the double that was hit over his head.

You could also say that Putz should have held the game in check in the 8th.

Or you could say that Betancourt and Cairo should have come up with basehits with RISP today.

Posted by Faceplant

1:45 AM, Jul 26, 2008

"What I'm saying is, that Ichiro is supposed to be this all-star player who is so doggone phenomenal, while Willie doesn't get to play full time, has been constantly underrated,"

I'm going to kick myself for asking this, but please tell me what makes Willie Bloomquist underrated.

"...and has never given less than full effort whenever he's been called upon to play any one of a number of positions."

Neither has Ichiro. The idea that Ichiro doesn't care, or dogs it is one based on pure fiction. You will rarely find a MLB player who isn't trying. If he wasn't trying he almost certainly wouldn't be in the Majors.

"I do like Cairo's defense on the bunts. I don't have a problem with Cairo and Bloomquist seeing regular playing time because I do think they bring certain intangibles to the table that guys like Yuni, Kenji, and Ichiro don't."

I do have a problem with Cairo receiving regular playing time, because I believe that the intagibles he brings do not outweigh his amazingly crapply play.

Seriously, are people actually saying with a straight face that Miguel Cairo is more valuable than ANYONE in the lineup? Miguel Cairo doesn't belong on a ML roster, let alone in a starting lineup.

Posted by Faceplant

1:48 AM, Jul 26, 2008

"Point is, there's plenty of blame to go around for today's loss. Pinning it on one player is completely and utterly irrational."

No argument from me. I completely agree.

Posted by C Diddy

2:15 AM, Jul 26, 2008

Atomic Garden...If you are around posting on blogs next year. I will...I will remind of what I said. We have Willie B and Cairo playing everyday baseball that prob woudlnt see more then 100 innings on any other team in the MLB. Has willie B got a hit for extra bases yet? We have a solid pitching roation building up, but yet will have not a single guy to hit 30 plus home runs next year. Untill we get a guy that will hit 30 and drive in 100 we will not be good till the season 2010. And that is a long strech. Look at the last 5 years? What makes you think we are heading in a good direction? Last season when we got hot for acouple of months. Untill we get some big name bats in Seattle we are not going to be good. Remember me next year atomic when I say I TOLD YOU SO!!!!And honestly I hope you are telling me that next year......

Posted by Bill

2:16 AM, Jul 26, 2008

In a season where everything has gone wrong for this team its superstars are deserving of the blame (when not performing at their career norms) just as much, of not more than its role/bench players do.

Posted by Jonathan

2:59 AM, Jul 26, 2008

Where are the people who said a closer isn't important? That we need to trade Putz for prospects put Morrow in the rotation and let Lowe close?

Posted by Dave from the melancholy coast

3:03 AM, Jul 26, 2008

Well, BrianL and everyone else; no point in me getting mad; it is what it is, and it's a terrible season, yes, with plenty of blame all around. So frustrating, tho, 'cos when one aspect of the game goes well for the M's, another aspect totally shatters and disintegrates. I have always liked what Willie's brought to the table; I guess I root for the underdog. And although Ichiro commented on his dropped ball, what he said was a weak non sequitor at most. I thot RF was supposed to be 'his' natural position. While I know that even great players screw up, catching this ball was definitely within Ichiro's range, 'cos I've seen him do it TONS of times.

As far as Bloomquist being underrated, the M's constantly utilizing him on a part-time basis tells me that his own team doesn't rate very highly. Yet, Rick Rizzs pointed out that Bloomquist's batting average has risen to .277 since he's been playing more regularly. I'd rather see a bunch of consistent low-key players than see two or three great players surrounded by mediocrity. Especially since those two or three great players (such as ichiro) will screw up once in a while.

What a season this is. I was almost expecting the game to end like it did. Oh well.

Posted by Bums

5:46 AM, Jul 26, 2008

As everyone knows, the season is a disaster more so than anyone could have imagined before the season. The only thing that can be salvaged at this point is the #1 pick. I say let the losing continue.

I have to agree with Brian17 about Ichiro, he just seems to have lost interest and typically does when the team loses. Probably best to let him go now and get something for him because the next time this team realistically has a shot at winning again he will be pushing 40.

Posted by jeff928

6:07 AM, Jul 26, 2008

It looks like the beginning of another summer swoon. Things are going from bad to terrible. Is 100 losses in the future?

Go Seahawks!

Posted by byebye

7:22 AM, Jul 26, 2008

"Jim Riggleman said before the game that if Putz could regain the closer's role, it was possible Morrow would be transformed into a starter."

OK, with the M's things take a little time. This very strong statement by Jim R makes me confident Morrow will get the chance to start sometime before retirement.

He needs to start, Right!

byebye

Posted by Phillie12

7:51 AM, Jul 26, 2008

C. Diddy – couple of things: One, get off Bloomquist’s ass! He gives it his best every day and it isn’t easy to play all over the place and hit .270. He hustles, can steal a base and is hitting better since he is playing more. Okay he missed a fly ball the other night but last night he was great. You think he wouldn’t get 100 innings on any other MLB team? Really? Have you ever watched a National League game? With all the double switches, pinch hitters and Willie’s versatility, he would get a ton of PT. Two, give me the short list of 30 dinger and 100 rbi hitters dying to hit in Safeco.

Posted by Phillie12

8:04 AM, Jul 26, 2008

And by the way, how does a staff walk 7 guys again with 3 to Brad Wilkerson? unbelievable

Posted by Chris from Bothell

8:12 AM, Jul 26, 2008

Scrap all my previous Morrow angst. He needs to be around for setup / closing duty for the rest of the year, or the league is going to suspect the Ms are throwing games.

If relievers came out onto the field in carts anymore, the Ms would need a clown car. As much for quantity as quality.

Bah.

Posted by Chris from Bothell

8:22 AM, Jul 26, 2008

I also agree that this game rests on multiple people - Putz, Lowe, Ichiro, the anemic Ms offense. Especially Lowe, because what happened is the polar opposite of his job. And that Riggleman left Lowe in too long.

And with the posters calling out the "closers are a dime a dozen" doofuses.

Didn't watch the end and the replays, so can't comment on the umpiring.

And I have to think the only reason we haven't had a Mr. X or Anti-Ichiro League sighting is because they're hungover from their "Ichiro blew the game" party. ;)

Posted by Faceplant

9:11 AM, Jul 26, 2008

"Ichiro dropping or failiing to catch a ball that he should have caught deserves more scrutiny than Bloomquist dropping or failing to catch a ball that he should have caught. One is a perennial All-Star and Gold Glove player. The other is a career bench/utility player."

And whether it was Ichiro dropping that ball, or some single A reject the impact on the game is exactly the same. Spare me this Ichiro needs to be held to a higher standard crap. He's made that catch countless times before. I think you can forgive him the one time he misses it.

It's amazing to me how Seattle fans routinely find a way to bash the good player, while praising the bad ones.

"A good closer is one of the most 4 or 5 valuable pitchers on your staff. Holding onto leads is the difference between 75 and 90 win seasons."

No it isn't. The difference between a great closer and a bad one is only a few games.

I looked at who had the most blown saves from last year, and found something interesting. The people who led the league in blown saves, were generally the people who also had a high amount of saves. They were also people who had been tagged with the proven closer label.

Chad Cordero, Trevor Hoffman, Francisco Cordero, Jose Valverde, Todd Jones, Francisco Rodriguez, Bobby Jenks, Billy Wagner, Huston Street...

They all are in the top five in baseball in blown saves (a bunch of them are tied).

Posted by downonstrikes

9:19 AM, Jul 26, 2008

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.” Charlie Brown

Posted by ethan

9:20 AM, Jul 26, 2008

im going with 103 losses. i really think we can hunker down and achieve this.

Posted by Faceplant

9:26 AM, Jul 26, 2008

"While I know that even great players screw up, catching this ball was definitely within Ichiro's range, 'cos I've seen him do it TONS of times."

Yet the one time he doesn't you bash him.

"As far as Bloomquist being underrated, the M's constantly utilizing him on a part-time basis tells me that his own team doesn't rate very highly. Yet, Rick Rizzs pointed out that Bloomquist's batting average has risen to .277 since he's been playing more regularly."

Argh. Bloomquist has had plenty of chances throughout his career to play regularly and he hasn't hit once. It's a myth to say that he just isn't performing because he isn't getting consistent playing time. Why that myth persists, despite the fact that he's gotten several shots to play regularly and done nothing with them is beyond me.

Yes Bloomquist is hitting .277. And it's a complete mirage, driven entirely by singles and completely unsustainable. He's SLG .285 (which is horrendously bad). He's a defensive liability in CF, passable at the corners. The only position where he is a defensive asset is at the middle infield positions.

So we have a player who can't hit (and no he is not hitting well despite what Rick Rizzs would tell you, and has almost no defensive value.

Bloomquists value comes from two things. Versatility, and stolen bases. That does have real value, but lets stop pretending Bloomquist is something he isn't.

Posted by shane/olympia

9:52 AM, Jul 26, 2008

"The Mets have been mentioned in Ibańez rumors for a few weeks now, but the surfacing of Blake's name as an option could mean they didn't match up well with the Mariners on a deal."

"Updating a rumor that seems to have died down in the last few days, the Yankees and Mariners are still having serious discussions about Jarrod Washburn, reports Dan Graziano.

Up until a few days ago, the Yankees wanted to include Kei Igawa and Melky Cabrera in the deal but the Mariner's didn't particularly appear interested in neither player.

The Mariners asked about Austin Jackson, but were turned down, and now two other prospects have been thrown into the hat: Brett Gardner and Justin Christian.

Washburn has a no-trade clause, but Graziano thinks he would waive it for a shot at a pennant race."

Posted by doug

11:15 AM, Jul 26, 2008

LOWE??? U MEAN ICHIRO

Posted by Jonathan

2:27 PM, Jul 26, 2008

Then why do teams pay closers so much money? Why do teams generally make their best reliever their closer?

You're boy Lowe proved you wrong today. Not everyone is cut out for closing! Sorry ;)

Posted by C Diddy

2:51 PM, Jul 26, 2008

Phillies, Does Willie B have pictures of your mom naked or something? Come on, the guy is a good utility player that should get 7 innings a week. He is not an every day player....And I can give you a long list of players with 30 hr 100 rbis that will play at safeco for ichiro money....You pay them they will play in Green Lake park. It's all about the money. We need to shell 18 Mil at a game changing player. Not a guy like Ichiro who stays in a seperate hotel then the team and takes a seperate plane. The guy is a cancer making alot of money....

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-19

Love this cartoon

Nah, on second thought

Same as it ever was

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-18

LeBron James plugs Kia K900; Tesla Model X delay likelynew
(Kia) LeBron James teams with Kia Basketball star LeBron James has partnered with Kia to promote the K900, the brand's first rear-drive luxury sedan. ...