July 23, 2008 2:42 PM

Are you nuts? Not in two sections at Safeco Field.

Posted by Danny O'Neil

Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack?

Not in sections 311 and 312 at Safeco Field on Aug. 5 and Sept. 9. Those will be peanut-controlled zones on those days, the Mariners announced this week, cleaned thoroughly the night before and all peanut products will be banned on those games. Peanut products will not be sold at nearby concession stands. Tickets will be $10 each for those days.

It is estimated 12 million people in the U.S. have food allergies, about one-quarter of them children. The incidence of peanut allergies among children doubled over the five-year period from 1997 to 2002, according to the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network.

Posted by Ziasudra

2:54 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Who is that hp umpire? - he's atrocious! We'd probably get better calls if they had the Boston mgr. calling the pitches. . . .(the way we did in sandlot ball)

Posted by cashew

3:07 PM, Jul 23, 2008

damn peanuts anyway!

Posted by Jana

3:07 PM, Jul 23, 2008

The Seattle Mariners are the fifth MLB team to offer this.
For more information go to

Posted by Book

3:48 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Now if they could just have a garlic fries free zone! Last time I was somebody sat in front of us with garlic fries, the smell was so bad four of us had to leave.

Posted by greymstreet

3:52 PM, Jul 23, 2008

How will deathly allergic people get *to* the sections in the first place?

Posted by Polite

3:53 PM, Jul 23, 2008

This is really great to hear. Our youngest child has peanut allergies and we had no idea what it meant to deal with such a situation -- where seemingly the most harmless situations, like lunchtime at school or a trip to the Mariners' game can be a life-threatening situation for your child. I will make a point to attend those games in those seats in order to support this terrific idea. Thank you, Mariners!

Posted by drake

3:56 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Want to know why peanut allergies doubled during that period of time? It's because of inane measures like this.

Biggest Countries that advise avoidance of peanuts early in life have seen the biggest increase in peanut allergies. Another nugget from the article: 'Studies have shown that up to 25 percent of parents think their children may have a food allergy, but they've only been confirmed in about 8 percent.'

I'm not saying peanut allergies aren't a problem, just that by avoiding peanuts all-together we're just adding to it.

Posted by George

4:05 PM, Jul 23, 2008

What's next? Perfume free sections? Milk free sections? Fish free sections?

Posted by Joe

4:25 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Peanut Allergy= Darwin

(My kids are going to end up being allergic to everything now because of this post.)

Posted by 11Records

4:31 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Here's another reason to hate the Angels...

They padded K-Rod's stats today with a 1 pitch save!

Posted by Joe C

4:38 PM, Jul 23, 2008

You can't imagine how nervous I was last Saturday to have my 3 year old kid who's very allergic to peanuts stomping on the shells as he walked down the rows at Safeco. I had to find a spot that looked clean in the upper deck to find somewhere that had a chance to be safe. This is a smart move by the Mariners. They should do it in at least one section for all games. Or at least one day a week. This is a move in the right direction.

My kid didn't have a reaction on Saturday, but he very well could have and it's great that the Mariners are trying to cater to those fans who can't be around peanuts, whatever the reasons may be behind it.

Posted by PDF

4:39 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Wow! Allergy free night? The M's are just lame. Has anyone heard of just not eating a peanut? Can I complain about the really big fat guy in front of me untill we get a "fat people free" night?

What's next, baseball free night? Oh wait, that happens every night.

Posted by Joe C

4:50 PM, Jul 23, 2008

PDF - You'd have a different view if you had to carry an epipen with you wherever you went.

I agee though, they do have too many baseball free nights as it is.

But peanut-free sections - that's awesome for those who need it.

Posted by joellly

5:07 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Is this section going to be adjacent to the lesbian free section??? Come on..Alcohol free section, peanut free section, home run free section, walk free section....shall i continue?

I think it's great, now that the FO has finished concentrating really hard on stadium changes maybe now they can focus on the product?

They are killing me.............

Posted by Ross

5:08 PM, Jul 23, 2008

People that bash this are idiots. My father who is 53 has a severe allergy to Peanuts. People do not understand the severity. Often the smell alone will trigger a reaction, although if ingested it could literally kill him. The last time he was exposed his doctor told him if it happens again it might be his last. As a result he never goes to ball games or anything like that because we undoubtedly always get seated next to the guy chowing Peanuts non-stop. So point is, this is great that the Mariners are recognizing this and making accomodation

-R

Posted by Selfless

5:30 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Nice, Joe. As an evolutionary ecologist, let me just say that you'd feel differently if your offspring were prone to anaphylactic shock and death from peanuts. Thanks to Safeco for the peanut-free sections.

Posted by Gordie

5:34 PM, Jul 23, 2008

How about sections for people who actually pay attention to baseball , understand the game and don't need the scoreboard to tell them to stand up and cheer? Might need three sections for that.

Posted by scottM

5:37 PM, Jul 23, 2008

What's next? Perfume free sections? Milk free sections? Fish free sections?

People free zones, if the M's keep playing like this.

Posted by mike

5:39 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Thank God for KIRO getting the rights to the Mariners back. KOMO and there brodcast were a lot like a Sexton at bat,,,,,,,swing and a miss

Posted by Matt

6:12 PM, Jul 23, 2008

This is just stupid. Sorry, but a kid with a peanut allergy should know not to go buy peanuts. Also, it's not like a kid sitting in this section can't walk to anywhere in Safeco Field to buy peanuts. Again, this is just stupid and symptomatic of Seattle's need to be politically correct at all costs.

Posted by HMJ

6:18 PM, Jul 23, 2008

How about no beer sales because its bad for acoholics and no garlic fries because of their horrible smell and no hot dogs because they make you burp. This Mariner management team is concentrating on everything except winning baseball. A discrace!

HMJ

Posted by E. Lois

6:30 PM, Jul 23, 2008

HEY GEOFF,

Why would you write an article about people coming out to see the games even though the M's stink when BOSTON is in town? Ok, fine, if it was Kansas City or Texas ... but Boston?! Of course there will be people! I'm willing to bet 30 percent of fans last night WERE Boston fans.

Let's see their attendance on a Monday/Tuesday night in August against a no-name team.

Posted by headliner

6:31 PM, Jul 23, 2008

This team stinks. This team and management, and local media, are in denial. They are like an addict in denial. They use the same excuses after every loss. Awfully tough pitching, played our hearts out, etc. etc. If they ever get the guts to stand up and say we stink, we're not a good ballclub, maybe then they can begin to change for the better. Otherwise, I doubt it.

Posted by Ziasudra

6:33 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Well, I just got back home, and checked the box score - hp ump was Ron Kulpa (culpa is Latin for 'at fault' as in mea culpa) - he's well known for his wide strike zone, which was on display early on (I had to leave during the 7th inning). Vince Scully had him on an April game with the Dodgers,and noted that Kulpa called the only no-hit game in the majors last year (Verlander, I think).
That's what happens when you have a strong union - you can'tget rid of the deadbeats.

Posted by Ry

6:34 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Peanuts or no peanuts, this team is still going to make people sick.

Posted by Selfless

7:07 PM, Jul 23, 2008

HMJ,

Garlic fries and hot dogs don't kill people - peanuts do. We're not talking about itching and sneezing, it can result in anaphylactic shock and death. Please try to consider others and/or imagine if it were someone in your own family. Or try caring for those people beyond you and your immediate family. Thanks.

Posted by Mr. X

7:20 PM, Jul 23, 2008

I thought only guns and SUV's (acting alone) killed people. Oh, and CO2 also.

Maybe they could name it the George Washington Carver section.

Posted by diablo

7:20 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Let's face it we need some help...I'm not going to wear blinders and say were not the worst team in baseball because at the moment we are.. but what I will say is that this team could be.... there is no reason that this team is performing like this... we should be better...we have the talent... for a long time I listened and disagreed with the critics that kept complaining we were old but I have to say that now it seems like it.... we need to clean house... and in my opinion lose ichiro...hes not about team...to me he seems like hes about himself only... we need aggressive young attacking players... not guys who cant wait till the game is over so they can go out and party... and if were going to do it best do it all at once...lets take our medicine and get it over with so we can be one of the best again.

Posted by scottM

7:32 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Culture of mediocrity:

The M's come back to tie the game in the sixth on a two-run jack by (surprise!), Jose Vidro. There was a look of relief on Felix's face, because he wouldn't be saddled with the loss.

Yet, there was nobody out. The M's managed to get baserunners on first and second, but couldn't generate one more run when they had the pitcher on the ropes. That seems to be the story of the season––a pathetic inability to generate runs when it counts. Story of the game––that half inning. It wasn't hard to sense that the M's would be through scoring. One more run that half inning and Felix would have come away the game winner. It would be nice if more players than Felix and Morrow played with a winning resolve.

Posted by diablo

7:48 PM, Jul 23, 2008

if the mariners were smart they would start dealing some of their players whose contracts are up. washburn is pitching well right now..try to deal him to a team in the hunt. they can charge a ridiculous price in players. ibanez would also bring a bevy of players who are major league caliber or close. same with rhodes..he is doing well right now and could bring in a handsome price in terms of players. esp. since many contenders are looking for bullpen help. it is time to gut this team and start over. they would get younger, hungrier players. i dont know how many of these players have no trade clauses but if they are going to a contending team with a good shot at making the playoffs then i think they might be persuaded to waive those no trade clauses. the numbers look grim for the mariners. time to hold a fire sale and get some value back.

Posted by Brad

8:05 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Kudos to the M's for doing this. I have had a peanut allergy 30 years and no how serious it is. That being said you are a 1000 times for likely to get sick from peanuts accidently getting into your food at the snack bar than you are to get sick from the fat guy in your section eating them.

Posted by ESP

8:21 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Ross,

I don't doubt that this is an extremely serious problem for people who suffer from this affliction. When I first read the headline I rolled my eyes, after I read the comments I have a better understanding how significant a problem this can be for people and support the M's efforts.

If someone doesn't have to deal with this every day, like you do, it sounds more than a little crazy. Stop calling people "idiots" and start talking to them about why it causes your Dad so much trouble.

Posted by HMJ

8:43 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Selfless,

My main point is that winning baseball games is secondary to the Mariner management as long as we have the dancing groundskeepers, hydro races, hat tricks, etc. to keep the fans entertained. Even the stitch and knit crew has had enough. Having said that, most people have some allergies and deal with them properly. Is Cracker Jack next? Come on! We should never venture from our homes people. You never know what might happen. OOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by wayupwaydown

10:15 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Well, I guess the M's have a talent free section on the field. So no harm in having a peanut free section iin the stands.

Posted by Full Count

10:48 PM, Jul 23, 2008

No Nuts, Hmmmmm, I think we have the new theme for the rest of the season.

Posted by G-Man

11:07 PM, Jul 23, 2008

I am a middle-aged adult with a peanut allergy. Mine is moderately severe; I have lived through accidental ingestions, thanks in part to hospital emergency rooms.

I feel great empathy for those who have the most severe peanut allergies. Thank goodness that it has become more prominently publicized over the past several years. I used to have trouble getting restaurant people to take me seriously. Now they do.

As for you who complained or joked about this, you are very, very out of line.

Posted by Joe C

11:12 PM, Jul 23, 2008

There's really no downside to this. They picked two sections that mostly go empty on game day anyway and made it so that a few people who have to avoid games for fear of having a very serious reaction can go. It doesn't hurt anyone else.
Anyone with a complaint about this doesn't understand the issue.

Posted by Dana

11:51 PM, Jul 23, 2008

I do not have a food allergy (peanut or otherwise) nor do I know anyone who has one, but if this move by the M's allows some children to attend a Major League ballgame (?) then great. It's only two games out of 81 and only two sections. Seems like a reasonable effort to allow some kids to actually "experience" a ballgame.

Posted by SaukMtnMan

2:06 AM, Jul 24, 2008

What's next? Allergies to hot dogs, pretzels, standing up during the seventh inning stretch. Should the M's be banning anything but hiring bad GM's, "nice guy" managers, and retread players?
Give me a break already...and we're 25 games under! I'm allergic to losing...enough with the madness!

Posted by Brett in Bonney Lake

8:07 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Someone could choke on a hot dog and die, or drink too much and run their car off the road, hell some people are allergic to alcohol.

BAN IT ALL!!!!!

Give me a break.....

Posted by DHRjericho

9:18 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Here's an article about a minor league club having a Peanut Free Night. I know the guy that started this becasue his is son is severely allergic to peanuts (even peanut dust in the air is dangerous). At least people can should be knowledgeable before bashing the idea....plus it's not like people who love peanuts can't sit somewhere else.

Posted by Meredith

11:39 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Peanut Allergies are a result of our lifestyle. I lived in Africa and NO ONE has a peanut allergy in fact no one has allergies PERIOD. I mean NO ONE. US AID agencies have pointed to similar findings. I would point to two reasons. One kids not being exposed at a young age and two raising our kids in an overly sterile environment where their immune system becomes hyper sensitive.

When i have kids I am seriously going to immediately expose them to peanuts as well as ensure they spend a decent amount of time as a baby playing on the grass and dirt in the yard.

Posted by Pearl

11:45 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Peanuts banned? Don't those who are allergic have to eat them?
People have too much time on there hands.

Posted by Judy Vogt

11:46 AM, Jul 24, 2008

My congratulations to the Seattle Mariners. My grandson has a peanut/tree nut allergy and is unable to do many things because of the prevalence of peanuts at events such as baseball games, circuses and even airlines. So, yippee for the Mariners. What a great thing to do for those who have that type of allergy. I wish I lived in Seattle--we'd bring him to a game!

Posted by Corey

11:48 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Ridiculous. There is no need to eliminate peanuts, even if peanut allergic patrons are at the game. Hysteria drives the erroneous belief that casual contact (sitting next to someone who's eating peanuts) can lead to a life-threatening reaction. In fact, the medical literature is clear that there has NEVER been a single published case of death from casual contact with peanuts. Personal and parental awareness can eliminate any risk to the peanut allergic sports fan.

Posted by Elliaska

11:51 AM, Jul 24, 2008

This is awesome - perhaps next they'll be able to specially accomodate me, too.

I love baseball, but suffer from enochlophobia - the fear of crowds - which means I cannot attend games.

Hopefully they'll be able to rope off an entire section for me, so I can watch a game and not have a major reaction!

Posted by MelMac

11:53 AM, Jul 24, 2008

It's a good idea, but maybe the reverse and have it where those two sections ARE peanut eaters. Better still, have it where two/three nights a season the entire game is peanut free. Some people, it's just the scent that can put them into anaphylatic shock.

But, I'm glad that there are teams that are being cognizant enough to take care of their fans this way.

Posted by whatever

11:54 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Oh for crying out loud. The mind boggles

Posted by Heather

11:57 AM, Jul 24, 2008

The M's or any other organization don't do this stuff out of the kindness of their hearts, ya know. I have a daughter with a peanut/tree nut allergy and have always said that when buisness see their profits effected we will have more allergy free venues and foods. The M's likely feel that they can make a profit by doing this - and they are probably right. So all of you who are complaining that it has gone to far, put your money where your obnoxious, ignorant mouths are and don't buy tickets.

Posted by MelMac

11:58 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Posted by Allison

12:06 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Ok, this is just too much. Give me a break. Come on now. As a mother I can understand but geeze do what I do and police your child and travel like I do, with lysol and clorox wipes. Never go anywhere without them. My cousin is highly allergic to peanuts so I know a bit about this but he has managed to go to games all his life. He is careful about what he eats and always washes his hands.... always. Perhaps if people were a bit cleaner this would not have to happen.

Posted by MARK IN SEATTLE

12:11 PM, Jul 24, 2008

MY NEIGHBOR IS ALLERGIC TO CARBON MONOXIDE...LETS BAN ALL CARS FROM OUR STREETS.........HE WEARS A MASK WHEN HE GOES OUTSIDE. ITS GOING TOO FAR...WHATS NEXT? LETS TEAR UP THE GRASS AT SAFECO AND REPLACE IT WITH ASTRO TURF CAUSE A FEW FOLKS ARE ALLERGIC TO GRASS OR HAVE HAY FEVER....IF UR ALLERGIC TO PEANUTS, STAY AT HOME AND WATCH IT ON TV, WEAR A MASK, OR HAVE DAD PONY UP AND GET U A NICE ENVIRONMENTALLY CONTROLLED SKYBOX....( HAHA)

Posted by MARK GARY IN SEATTLE

12:16 PM, Jul 24, 2008

IM ALLERGIC TO WOOD...ANY CHANCE WE CAN GET MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TO CHANGE TO ALUMINUM BATS?...

Posted by MARK GARY IN SEATTLE

12:21 PM, Jul 24, 2008

MAYBE THIS IS JUST A PROMOTIONAL STUNT TO GET MORE FOLKS OUT TO SAFECO SINCE ATTENDENCE IS GOING TO DROP ANYWAY WITH A LOSING TEAM. SEEMS WITH OUR RECORD, WORST IN BASEBALL, THERE SHOULD BE PLENTY OF SEATING SECTIONS THAT ARE PEANUT, COKE, HOT DOG, POPCORN, AND FAN FREE. LETS WORRY ABOUT GETTING BACK TO WINNING GAMES AND NOT WHAT KIND OF FOOD LITTLE JOHNNY IS ALLEGIC TO.

Posted by dajcsully

12:21 PM, Jul 24, 2008

On July 10th I rushed my 13 year old son to the hospital due to accidental ingestion of peanuts.
Within 2 minutes of arriving at the hospital he had 7 doctors and nurses and 2 paramedics attending to him. This is a serious disease that can actually kill.
This boy is a huge baseball player and fan.
We are avid Minnesota Twin fans and I can not tell you how many times we have needed to move because the peanut shells from those around us were getting accidently cracked and tossed to close or in some cases on him.
I have always wondered why they do not have a section set aside for just this.
It figures that Minnesota is never a front runner on these things. Kudos to the Mariners organization.

Posted by EverettMsFan

12:32 PM, Jul 24, 2008

I can see it now...
"Honey your mom can't go to the game with us tonight afterall."
"Why?!?"
"Because we are sitting in the 'nut' free section"

Seriously, to those who are ridiculing the decision, I have a nephew who is almost literally deathly allergic to peanuts. No, the allergy is not induced only through ingestion of the peanuts. Mere contact alone can wreak havoc. Hence, the special cleaning of the sections of seats being used.

Posted by Mia

12:37 PM, Jul 24, 2008

This ridiculous to ban the sale of peanuts at a ball game. So what that an estimated 12 million people have an allergy to peanuts. Baseball is America’s past time and I’m sure that we have all heard the line in the song take Me Out To the Ball Game, where they say “Buy Me some peanuts. I could understand having a smoking ban where you can’t smoke at ball game but come on, now we’re banning some as simple as Peanuts. For god’s sake you can’t even light up at Dodger Stadium anymore and now at Mariners game’s you can’t even get a simple bag of peanuts.

Posted by jltx33

12:37 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Well, god forbid people learn how to be responsible for themselves instead of making everybody else conform to their needs! This country is becoming more communistic all the time.

Posted by MARK GARY IN SEATTLE

12:40 PM, Jul 24, 2008

NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT, HAVING A PEANUT FREE SECTIONS IS A GOOD IDEA...THAT WAY WE WILL KNOW WHERE THE Y ARE SITTING WHEN WE NEED TO GO THANK THEM FOR MAKING US WALK TO THE OTHER SIDE OF SAFECO FOR A BAG OF PEANUTS

Posted by MARK GARY IN SEATTLE

12:46 PM, Jul 24, 2008

I HAVE AN IDEA...LETS BAN "WIND" FROM SAFECO FIELD SINCE THERES A CHANCE THAT THE WIND COULD BLOW SOME SHELLS OR SKINS FROM PEANUTS INTO THE PEANUT FREE SECTIONS. THEN LETS BAN "SMELLING" FROM SAFECO SINCE SOMEONE POSTED THAT THE SMELL ALONE COULD TRIGGER A REACTION FROM PEANUTS.

Posted by Rick

12:57 PM, Jul 24, 2008

April 1999 JACI (Journal of Allergy & Clinical Immunology) estimated that 1% of the population has an allergy to peanut protein, if 50% are children and studies show that 20% of them outgrow the allergy by school age then the number is 1.2 million. So, don't feed them peanuts or regular M&Ms or Jellybelly's since they have peanut protein also.

Posted by Joe C

1:04 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Wow. I can't believe there are people that would complain about this. And to be clear, peanuts are not banned for those games - just from two sections in two games. This isn't hurting anyone.

Posted by maureen

1:45 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Thank you for the wonderful news that more teams are responding to peanut allergies.I am a parent of a child with such allergies and we love baseball. We've learned to be very villigant when we attend of the people near us who might be consuming peanuts to keep them and their hands off our child and her seat.If you don't have a child with this allergy you never would think what touching the seat in front of you after eating peanuts could possibly trigger a reaction for the child if they pick up the oils from the nuts and happen to touch their face. I hope more sporting events wiill consider peanut free section in their stadiums, just don't make them in the nose bleed sections. We like good seats too.

Posted by Peter F.

1:51 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Posted by Mary Oman

2:34 PM, Jul 24, 2008

I have to say that I am very moved and grateful for this effort on the Safeco Field's part. I am one of those unfortunate people who is deathly allergic to peanuts. Even coming into contact with peanuts (I don't have to have eaten them) can send me into life-threatening allergic reaction. I love baseball and I love the Mariner's, but I am always terrified when I attend games because of all of the peanut shells being thrown on the ground all around me. It is nice to know that I will have an opportunity to attend a few games this year without being afraid of the peanuts. Thank you!

Posted by Robyn Rogers

2:39 PM, Jul 24, 2008

I have been married for 35 years to a wonderful guy who has a horrible allergy to peanuts. I learned 35 years ago that this was OUR problem. We go everywhere that peanuts are served, including the ballpark upon occasion, and simply make it our business to avoid peanuts, peanut shells, peanut butter, peanut oil....I hope this prohibition on peanut sales isn't hurting anyone's livlihood-- things are awfully tough right now for a lot of good people.

Posted by Brett in Bonney Lake

2:55 PM, Jul 24, 2008

"I'm allergic to stupid people. Can I request an entire section at SAFECO be dedicated only people can demonstrate an IQ of 115 or higher? I'm sure I'd share the stands with only a handful of Seattle-ites...."

-You would think that with such a high IQ you would know that statistically Seattle is the most educated city in the nation.

I have a pollen allergy. BAN GRASS AND TREES!

My friend is allergic to alcohol. BAN ALCOHOL!

Some people are allergic to the sun. BAN THE SUN!

Posted by RepublicanRoy

2:58 PM, Jul 24, 2008

So the Seattle Mariners have banned lesbians, peanuts and winning. What's next?

Posted by Chagani

3:20 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Do you people not get that it's not about them eating the peanuts? Of course a person with peanut allergies isn't going to go buy peanuts! But when there's a guy behind them cracking shells and throwing them on the ground and one falls down the back of some one's shirt who does have a peanut allergy it could be potentially deadly! People with severe peanut allergies don't need to ingest them to have a reaction. Many people are allergic to the oils. They can't even touch peanuts without having a severe allergic reaction. Do some research before you start criticizing!

Posted by David Adams

6:25 PM, Jul 24, 2008

Why not just ban peanuts like tobacco? After all, second-hand peanut breath might harm one of the little tykes - and to say nothing if they accidentally touched a peanut left lying carelessly on the ground.
Peanut addicts could be jailed or fined - depending on the amount they have hidden on their person.
Peanut farmers (sorry Mr. Carter) could be persuaded to plant Arugula instead.

Posted by Mom

10:22 PM, Jul 24, 2008

The Seattle Mariners are in fact the fifth MLB baseball team to offer this type of arrangement. There are numerous Minor league teams that have welcomed peanut allergic fans - some have even made the entire ballpark peanut-free for a night.

I'm sure you are rolling your eyes as you read this (if you even bother to read this).

Peanuts and baseball have a unique relationship which has made an accommodation like this necessary, for some children especially, to enjoy a game at the ballpark. Of course people with peanut allergies know not to eat the legume. Duh. There is an inordinate amount of peanuts, peanut dust and peanut shells at a ballpark that exposes those with severe peanut allergies to their allergen. Have you ever walked ankle deep in something that could kill you?

Yes, we parents have all heard of Darwin and that our offspring are supposed to die rather than be accommodated. Yes, we have all heard we should keep our children home in a bubble if they are so sensitive, Yes, we are used to having people roll their eyes as we regrettably ask for a small concessions so that those with life-threatening food allergies can participate.

I'm saddened but not really surprised that people feel two sections out of two games is too much of a sacrifice for the rest of the population. I hope you know how lucky you are that you don't have to deal with life-threatening food allergies 24/7/365.

For local information regarding life-threatening food allergies please visit

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-19