July 13, 2008 1:10 PM

Mariners at Kansas City Royals: 07/13 game thread

Posted by Geoff Baker

ryals0713 004.jpg

That lead didn't last long for Seattle. Ryan Rowland-Smith threw only six pitches total. But he gave up two singles and a sacrifice bunt to the three hitters he faced. Sean Green came in to pitch with runners at second and third and surrendered an RBI groundout to Mike Aviles.

So, we're tied 3-3. Guess what? I have a flight leaving the airport (40 minutes away) at 4:06 p.m. (Pacific) time. It goes to Houston, where I have 50 minutes to change planes and fly to Seattle. In other words, a tie game right now is not good. Doesn't work. Just like Oakland last Thursday.

Watch our video tour of Kauffman Stadium above.

12:57 p.m.: Jeff Clement just snapped an 0-for-15 slump with a two-run, two-out home run to right field off Kyle Davies to put Seattle ahead 3-2 in the seventh inning. Clement's last three hits have gone for home runs. He hadn't notched a hit since smacking a similar, come-from-behind homer eight days ago against the Tigers.

Carlos Silva stands to win this game. He's out after six innings and 97 pitches, the M's going with lefty Ryan-Rowland-Smith with a string of southpaw hitters due up.

12:31 p.m.: Seattle just tied it up 1-1 in the top of the fifth. Willie Bloomquist led off with a single blooped to right, took second on a wild pitch and scored on a one-out single to right by Miguel Cairo. It's important for Carlos Silva not to give up any early hits in the bottom of the fifth. He's got the Nos. 8 and 9 hitters up first, then runs into lefty David DeJesus. You've got another lefty two batters after that in Mark Teahen. The top three hitters in the order are 5-for-6 off Silva today. Best make sure they aren't coming up with men on base.

And now, 10 minutes after I wrote that, the Royals have a 2-1 lead. Silva walked the leadoff hitter, then watched the second guy in the order, Mike Aviles, come up with his third hit of the day -- an infield single -- to push across the go-ahead run with two out. On to the sixth.

12:03 p.m.: We're heading to the bottom of the fourth inning, with the Mariners down 1-0. Kansas City notched three consecutive two-out singles off Carlos Silva in the third, the final of those, by Mark Teahen, driving home the game's only run. KC is outhitting the M's 6-2 to this point. Raul Ibanez led off the top of the fourth with a single, but went nowhere after that.

Silva has thrown only 52 pitches, so he's not in any pitch-count trouble. But he needs some offense.

10:49 a.m.: The unofficial "first half'' before the All-Star Break ends today. Mercifully. It has not been a fun ride for most of you, I'm sure. Carlos Silva goes today. Got your "sink readers" ready? Let's see whether Silva continues to find a comfort level in throwing his bread-and-butter pitch.

We asked Mariners manager Jim Riggleman before the game about what he expects once the season gets back underway in five days.

"I'm not expecting any major transition in the roster with trades and so forth,'' he said. "I don't think we're going to be moving people just to move people.''

Riggleman has made it a point to keep running a similar lineup out there day after day, especially where the top six guys in the order are concerned. He feels there is some continuity needed in order for guys to eventually produce. I asked him about finding more playing time for guys who figure to be part of the team's future, rather than guys playing out the final years of their contracts. He replied that he felt he was doing that already, adding that his priority is still to win games.

The way he's talking, it sounds like he plans of keeping Jose Vidro around for a while.

"Vidro hasn't really ever felt good,'' he said of the first baseman/DH's health. "The break's coming at a good time for Vidro because I think he'll come back better.''

Vidro isn't in the lineup today. Jose Lopez is the DH, with Willie Bloomquist at second and Miguel Cairo at first.

The lineups:

16 Billy Butler DH
7 Ross Gload 1B
14 John Buck C

28 Kyle Davies RHP

Posted by Capo

11:15 AM, Jul 13, 2008

Does the clubhouse buffet include lead paint chips? Is there some other sort of brain damaging, or thought inhibiting foods on the buffet table?

there just has to be some rational explanation for the continuous stream of idiotic comments uttered by Mariner management at every level.

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

11:16 AM, Jul 13, 2008

I'm paraphrasing the Royals announcer, he stated Why in the world is Ichiro still on first base? The alluded that he must have conceeded a single. The real reason is he dogged it to first base as usual by th etime he saw the fielder was going to mishandle it it was too late.

Posted by Capo

11:19 AM, Jul 13, 2008

Actually, outside of Bloomquist hitting sixth, this is the most reasonable lineup we've seen in quite awhile.

but still....Vidro.......just....don't.....get.....it.

Posted by Faceplant

11:24 AM, Jul 13, 2008

"The real reason is he dogged it to first base as usual by th etime he saw the fielder was going to mishandle it it was too late."

Good thing we have Resin to tell us what the "real reason" was. Of course if I'm just days removed from slightly pulling my hamstring, I'm not going to try and stretch a single into a double in the first inning of a scoreless game.

But I guess that's just me.

Not that it matters. If Ichiro had taken second base, and hurt himself in the process we'd have to listen to you blather about how Ichiro hurt himself because of his selfishnes, and him trying to take second PROVES that he only cares about his own personal statistics.

Posted by -dmc

11:27 AM, Jul 13, 2008

Riggleman apparently lacks the wisdom to remove Vidro from the lineup, so Pelekoudas may have to take the decision out of his hands. Unfortunately, I don't feel like I should hold my breath over this one.

Posted by M's Fan

11:31 AM, Jul 13, 2008

"The break's coming at a good time for Vidro because I think he'll come back better." Sure, and Sexon is going to be "comeback palyer of the year" right?

Posted by Nat

11:32 AM, Jul 13, 2008

Faceplant- you are exactly right regarding Ichiro running out to 1st and and his hamstring issues- and subsequently, Resin's "analysis" of Ichiro. Very predictable.

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

11:35 AM, Jul 13, 2008

The team shut Bedard down until the break with an alleged minor injury. Is Bedard more important to the team than our franchise player?

Posted by M Dogg

11:37 AM, Jul 13, 2008

"The answer=Ichiro really isn't bothered by a hamstring injury" The conspiracy has begun....

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

11:44 AM, Jul 13, 2008

Ichiro

Which one are you M-Dog? I think I have Nat and Faceplant figured out.

Posted by Faceplant

11:44 AM, Jul 13, 2008

"If Ichiro was really bothered my a hamstring injury why isn't he resting until the All-Star break? The answer=Ichiro really isn't bothered by a hamstring injury."

You mean Ichiro should shut himself down? Like Erik Bedard did when he was hurt? Oh, that's right, Erik Bedard is a panty wearing girly man who needs to suck it up and pitch through pain.

But when Ichiro plays hurt, that means he MUST be faking it right? Or maybe, just maybe, the injury is A) not that bad, and B) Ichiro actually is competetive and wants to help his team win. Gee, that's a novel concept isn't it?

"Maybe the KC announcer was guilty of lazy journalism and didn't properly seek out Ichiro to find out if he really is playing injured....LMAO!"

Or maybe you're a complete joke who likes to just either make crap up, or make completely unsubstantiated accusations.

Usually it's a little of both.

Posted by Mr. X

11:45 AM, Jul 13, 2008

"him trying to take second PROVES that he only cares about his own personal statistics."

LOL

Since when has ichiro been worried about hitting doubles? I doubt if it even crosses his mind. To him, a hit is a hit. As long as it adds to his season and career total, one is as good as another. This is a guy who has never hit 35 doubles in a season, in fact, he has failed to hit 25 or more in his last 4 seasons. He might not hit 20 this season, the way things are going.

Posted by OlyHomer

11:50 AM, Jul 13, 2008

Jayson Stark with first half awards.

AL Least Valuable: Sexson
Honorable Mention: Vidro and Johjima

AL Cy Yuk: Silva
Honorable Mention: Batista

Ouch!

Stark had some interesting things about Silva and Sexson I didn't know about.

Makes me hang my head in shame as a fan.

Posted by M Dogg

11:50 AM, Jul 13, 2008

"Which one are you M-Dog?" I was standing right between you an 'X'!! How quickly you forget! ; )
P.S.- Same seats next game?

Posted by Faceplant

11:52 AM, Jul 13, 2008

"Which one are you M-Dog? I think I have Nat and Faceplant figured out."

As opposed to the Resin, who just doens't get why nobody else doesn't see th eobvious Ichiro "hamstring conspiracy".

Your just a regular riot Resin. Do you do kids parties?

Posted by Miles

11:53 AM, Jul 13, 2008

CBSSports.com is reporting today that there is some talk around baseball that former Tigers GM Randy Smith may be under consideration for the new M's GM. His record as GM was pretty bad and he was fired six years ago. Currently he's a scout for the Padres.

Posted by brock

11:56 AM, Jul 13, 2008

The M's maybe making the same mistakes over again. I think Riggleman and Pelakoudas are allowing the veterans to play in hopes of winning as many games as possible so they can keep their jobs. No incentive to build for the future. Kind of like when Bavasi was on the 'hot seat'. Lincoln and possibly Armstrong's indecisiveness may be contributing to another lost season ahead. Time to end the auditions and get on with building for next year. Tell them their tenure ends at the end of the year. Period. They maybe considered for next year when the time comes. Or even Lincoln stating publicly that he's less concerned about this year than next. Send a real message to the entire organization. Then Vidro can sit down.

Posted by dave

11:57 AM, Jul 13, 2008

Hey, resin just hates those god damn slant eyes tainting his american game. We just need to realize he is a racist bigot.

Posted by Faceplant

12:07 PM, Jul 13, 2008

"Since when has ichiro been worried about hitting doubles? I doubt if it even crosses his mind. To him, a hit is a hit. As long as it adds to his season and career total, one is as good as another."

Yet he still had more XBH every year except this year than your choice for the middle of the order Jose Lopez.

He also has led the team in OBP almost every year. And it's funny that despite those lack of doubles he still ranked 4th on the team in SLG in 2002, 3rd in 2003, 2nd in 2004, 3rd in 2005, 5th in 2006, and 5th in 2007. And he turns at least 20 to 25 singles a year into doubles by stealing second base.

But I don't expect you to look at the whole package. That's something you aren't capable of. It's much easier to just arbitrarily pick a random statistic and pretend that it tells the whole story, and really does prove what you so desperately want it to.

Posted by Nat

12:08 PM, Jul 13, 2008

Like I concern myself with anything you have to say about me, Resin. Just quaking in my shoes, here...

Can't you just keep your racist remarks about players to yourself? Or if you're compelled to get it out you could write down all your blather in a journal or something...

Posted by thomas

12:10 PM, Jul 13, 2008

supposing we take a lead tonight who closes? Certainly not morrow, he played himself out of the closers role by showing he doenst have the closers mentality and the league figuring him out. Arthur rhodes?

Posted by Faceplant

12:11 PM, Jul 13, 2008

"supposing we take a lead tonight who closes? Certainly not morrow, he played himself out of the closers role by showing he doenst have the closers mentality and the league figuring him out."

Or you could, you know, stop making definitive conclusions based on barely two innings of work.

Posted by Nat

12:16 PM, Jul 13, 2008

The link to the GM article mentioned by Miles:

I would be very happy to see nothing happen until new ownership changes hands, and I'm still holding out hope for Chris Larson to make a move.

Posted by downonstrikes

12:29 PM, Jul 13, 2008

ESPN: But he (Silva) has sure positioned himself to rank as one of the massive free-agent busts of all time.

Thanks again Mr. Armstrong!

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

12:29 PM, Jul 13, 2008

Nat-you are simply ignorant Ichiro homer. Nothing I said was racist .

Bad baseball continues, third out on a stolen base attempt. It's tough to watch Kyle Davies look like a frontline starter.

The M's better sell off a lot of parts at the deadline.

Posted by Mr. X

12:31 PM, Jul 13, 2008

Faceplant,

I'll give you 10 minutes to wiggle out of that lie, before I embarass you.

Posted by doug

12:38 PM, Jul 13, 2008

go ahead and own that faggot right now mr. x, im sick of him acting like he is gods gift to baseball blogs

Posted by Mr. X

12:44 PM, Jul 13, 2008

Posted by Mr. X

12:50 PM, Jul 13, 2008

I'm feeling nice today, so I'll wait a little longer, but I'll give you a hint.

2006.

Posted by faceplant

12:56 PM, Jul 13, 2008

cuntment got lucky

Posted by Adam

12:58 PM, Jul 13, 2008

Why do the Mariners keep making excuses for Vidro?

Is Riggleman trying to sell us on the idea that Vidro is injured, and doesn't just suck worse than almost any regular hitter in the AL?

Screw you, Mariner management.

Posted by doug

12:59 PM, Jul 13, 2008

vidro was arguably our best hitter last year, had more clutch hits then the "beloved" ichiro. hit over 300 and not too far beind ichiro in that.

Posted by dmx

1:07 PM, Jul 13, 2008

just own the bitch tit already , we know he is gonna get bent over and we are looking for entertainment! his attempt to counter will be LOLworthy!!!!!

Posted by doug

1:33 PM, Jul 13, 2008

Arthur for the savE? ANYone but morrow he has blown it!!

Posted by Swung On And Belted

1:33 PM, Jul 13, 2008

"Why do the Mariners keep making excuses for Vidro? "

It just doesn't make any sense. If they are playing him in hopes of showcasing him for a trade, I'd say it's backfiring Big Time. Why don't they use him in the same situation that any team that wants him would likely use him, as a pinch-hitter off the bench? I was pulling for Riggleman until he decided to give that game away in the 15th. That just sent the wrong message. And now it just looks hypocritical for him to be cracking down on mistakes like Reed's. And his quotes above; Does he really believe that? He's looking more and more like Mac everyday. Either he's just another Yes Man who is afraid to stand up to the FO, or he's just stupid and a part of the "culture of losing" that needs to be purged. Vidro was Bavasi's failure and should have gotten the boot along with him. But to read Riggleman's quotes, it looks like he and Lee P. and Mac and Bavasi all share the same brain. When will those in charge of this team ever learn?

Posted by ahhahaha

1:35 PM, Jul 13, 2008

LOL they dont trust morrow anymore

Posted by doug

1:37 PM, Jul 13, 2008

WTF MORROW LOST THE LAST 2 GAMES FOR HIM??? GET HIM OUT GOD WHAT THE RIGGLEMAN?!?!?!?!

Posted by asdasd

1:42 PM, Jul 13, 2008

differenet story today, good save morrrow

Posted by Faceplant

1:44 PM, Jul 13, 2008

The 12:56 pm post is not from me.

Posted by Esteban

1:44 PM, Jul 13, 2008

They’re definitely not ‘showcasing’ Vidro for a trade, as the only FO that might see value in him is here in Seattle. My best guess is that, as Geoff stated in a thread a while back, they’ve got to spread these releases out over the last several months to make it appear like they’re doing stuff.

Posted by Esteban

1:48 PM, Jul 13, 2008

Hey, Mr. X, after you get done ‘owning’ Faceplant as it were, I seem to recall in a thread a couple of months back where you were predicting the Adam Jones would soon be sent down to the O’s AAA affiliate. Just curious, did that ever materialize? If it did, it seems to have worked wonders, as he’s improved his numbers across the board. ‘Newfieldian’, huh? You crack me up.

BTW, if MacPhail and the O’s keep getting ‘fleeced’ like they were by us, they might just make the post-season pretty soon.

Posted by telly

1:51 PM, Jul 13, 2008

Good thing the All-Star break is here - Clement will again get to sit for a few days following a game with a home-run.

Posted by Nat

1:52 PM, Jul 13, 2008

Esteban- true but that doesn't explain why Vidro continues to get the cleanup position.

Re: Morrow- for those of you who doubted him- he had a couple bad days! It's called getting back on the horse. He did his job superbly today. Now we'll have to see how it shakes out when JJ comes back.

Posted by doug

2:13 PM, Jul 13, 2008

Mr. X is dissapointing his fans! Where is the pwnage? i f'n hate faceplant and adam

Posted by Faceplant

3:16 PM, Jul 13, 2008

No, Mr. X is right. Lopez did have more XBH than Ichiro in 2006. But Ichiro also posted an OBP over 50 points higher than Lopez, AND stole 45 bases that year while getting caught just 2. More than making up for any lack of XBH's. Mr. X likes to focus on what Ichiro can't do, and minimize the importance of what he can do.

Funny, how Mr. X just ignores stolen bases as if they don't matter.

Typical.

Posted by Faceplant

3:34 PM, Jul 13, 2008

"And before I get to the lie, no, an infield single and a stolen base isn't the same as a double. Not in real baseball. That's just an ignorant statement. I've never heard of a player recording an RBI via a single and stolen base before."

I never said it was equal to a double. I assumed I was having a conversation with someone who is smart enough to know that just about no stathead thinks that it is. I guess my wording sucked, but we are just arguing over semantics.

But I'm also not stupid enough to think that RBI's are the true measure of a productive hitter. They aren't. There is a strong corellation between OBP and run scoring, and that's a fact whether you like it or not. There is almost no correllation between hitting well with runners in scoring position and being a productive hitter.

You have to look at the whole package, which you are chronically unable to do. Ichiro's on base skills, and his stolen bases more than make up for any deficiency in the power area. Add his defense in, and you have a pretty valuable player. Not that you would see it since your measure of a productive hitter is how many doubles they hit, and how they hit with guys on base.

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-19