July 6, 2008 6:55 PM

Why no Rhodes?

Posted by Jose Romero

Many of you are questioning the use of Burke as a reliever today and why not Arthur Rhodes or Brandon Morrow.

True, both were in the bullpen and available if needed. But here is how manager Jim Riggleman explained their absence from the game:

"Arthur, he came in today and said he slept on his arm funny and just didn't feel good. So he said "If I get up, I want to get in.' He didn't want to get up (in the bullpen) and down. So we had a point in the lineup where we were going to use him, and Norm (Charlton) called down and said he's not feeling to good, so we shut him down."

Riggleman also shut down Morrow because he had pitched four of the past five days.

Morrow will be available tomorrow.

Posted by JD

7:26 PM, Jul 06, 2008

Thanks, I think it's pretty clear Riggie was out of arms. I think Clement should get a chance to hit lefties. Reed is 1 for 26 against lefties in the past 3 years.

Posted by scottM

7:30 PM, Jul 06, 2008

People rag on Bedard for not going past 100 pitches, but Rhodes would rather allow our third string catcher to take the mound than go for one inning himself. If Rhodes is playing head games and pouting, then trade his a** now.

Again, why was Jimeņez not an option for the 15th inning? I thought he was stretched out from starting in Tacoma.

I understand the challenges that Riggleman faced tonight, but it's the first time I've second guessed his moves.

Imagine how much more this game would have hurt to lose if the M's were in the playoff hunt. Still, they did play hard and the defense looked quite good.

Let's hope this Burke move doesn't send the wrong message to a team just beginning to show that it is capable of winning.

Posted by Mariners suck

7:42 PM, Jul 06, 2008

Lame. I was at the game and this is the reason this team sucks and is the worst in baseball. How much does King Arthur make a year? He "slept on his arm"? Poor baby. I wish at my salary I could use that as an excuse, but I forgot, he's making millions more then me. Unexcepable to use a third string catcher in this game to blow it. People that pay to see this team are suckers.

Posted by scrapiron

7:45 PM, Jul 06, 2008

I looked a the lineup before the game and thought it was the weakest offensive lineup they could have possibly assembled. Batting Sexson behind Beltre was a terrible decision too, since the Tigers just pitched around Beltre.

They've been trotting Clement out every day, trying to get his bat going. Even had him bat against the toughest left-hander in baseball, Johan Santana. Then he finally gets his bat going and they rest him against a lefty? I don't get it. Clement hit lefties better than right handers at Tacoma, and today's team was desperate for offense.

I like most of what I've seen from Riggleman, but his lineup construction is terrible. Vidro at cleanup? Sexson hitting behind Beltre? C'mon. Those types of decisions got McLaren fired.

Posted by scrapiron

7:47 PM, Jul 06, 2008

By the way, I heard on the post game show that Riggleman asked who wanted to pitch in the 15th and Burke, Beltre, Bloomquist and Dickey volunteered.

Those four go in my "team player" category, and should be commended.

Posted by Jeffey

8:07 PM, Jul 06, 2008

Great. Bedard is rubbing off on Rhodes now....

Posted by Batter Up!!!

8:08 PM, Jul 06, 2008

Hola Jose! Thank you!

This is the most mis-managed team I have ever witnessed. To sit the hot Rookie (Clement) and not get him, or Reed, an AB in a 15 inning game is BEYOND BIZARRE!!!

To continue to play Sexson & Vidro is just flat out wrong.

Have you had enough yet Mr. Yamauchi?

Please sell this team to local ownership and allow us to save face!

Posted by eastcoast

8:17 PM, Jul 06, 2008

That's such BS. I'm pretty sure that 29 other major league managers would have an actual pitcher pitching in that situation. Why play the previous 14 innings if you are just going to throw the game away like that. So now your BP is spent and you don't even have a win to show for it. RRS threw 87 pitches, Jimenez went 4 innings - how do these guys feel knowing their effort was a complete waste. That explanation is garbage.

Posted by Top pick in 09 draft

8:40 PM, Jul 06, 2008

knock on wood but Jimenez looks to be a keeper as a l/h in the bullpen. This would enable the M's to keep RRS in the rotation even when Felix returns and should facilitate of trade of either Washburn or Bedard while they both have some trade value. Hopefully we get some good position prospects in return which should mean Sexson and/or Vidro gets DFAd. There is absolutely no point in keeping those two on the roster as neither has a snowball's chance in hell of being on the team in 2009 and since Bonehead Bill has been fired, there is no other GM stupid enough to trade for either which means you'll be paying their salary regardless.

Posted by Nick T

8:47 PM, Jul 06, 2008

I thought this was a joke..We had to use a backup catcher because some people were tired or didn't sleep well.!!
And on top of it ., Riggleman benches a guy who went deep twice the day before??
C'mon tell me this was a dream! Use a starter, use Bedard for crissakes..Dickey's a knuckleballer! He can go all day and night!Get an inning out of somebody but not your backup Catcher...!
But please--this is sad...
Oh--Sexson after Beltre?? Big deal! A.245 guy followed by a .220 guy! Yeah, that's the reason they lose...Too any of you guys think Beltre is Mike Schmidt! Give it up, please!!

Nick T

Posted by Thomas

8:50 PM, Jul 06, 2008

why no silva? why no washburn for that matter? honestly, for a team in their situation to simply lay down in a 15 inning game like that is embarassing. They risked losing whatever credibility they had left with the fans. To emotionally invest myself in their efforts for 15 innings and four and a half hours of a sunday only to watch them completely give up, I feel betrayed.

i understand the injuries but saving washburn and/or silva for the next game or series is not legitimate...it's lazy management.

Posted by jake4three

8:54 PM, Jul 06, 2008

"Arthur Rhodes is coming off of arm surgery and has done more than his fair share for this team this year. To blame him for this loss is bizarre. AR is well beyond head games, unlike some posters on this blog."

This is almost laughable. AR seems to pitch about 1/3 of an inning every series. A situational lefty is something that a team needs when trying to win a division title. We need a guy who can throw innings. JJ Putz has thrown more innings than Rhodes and has been on the DL twice. Bedard is hurt and pitching. Felix didn't want to go on the DL, he wanted to pitch. Batista has allegedley been hurt most of the year and he's been pitching. Rhodes has a bad night of sleep and can't help the team out. Fourteen innings of one-run ball and he can't be of any help?

Posted by GeoW

9:09 PM, Jul 06, 2008

i have no problem with Rhodes not coming in (although I think Riggleman'sexplaination is lame). The two left handers in the bull pen had pitched 4 and 5 innings respectfully. Neither will be available tomorrow. If Rhodes throws today, there likely would be no situational lefty available for tomorrow. Hehce, Rhodes sits and Burke pitches.

The reason for this loss has little to do with whether or not Rhodes comes in, and everything to do with poor hitting. No one came even close to hitting that walk-off home run I was hoping for. With so little power in the lineup, it seems amazing that Clement was no the bench, especially after the 9th inning.

The pitching today was great. If only RSS hadn't given up that home run to a light weight reserve 2nd baseman. Oh, well. Too bad one of our lightweights couldn't have duplicated that feat.

Posted by Batter Up!!!

9:24 PM, Jul 06, 2008

What is Laughable is blaming this lose on anything but poor asset management!

The lack of assets is another argument all together.

Posted by Scott

9:42 PM, Jul 06, 2008

Riggie probably should've stuck with Batista for more than 2 innings.... of course, how would anyone know that game would go 15.

And, btw, off the topic of pitching.. why didn't Riggie have Betancourt sacrafice Bloomquist to 2B in the 15th inning? He would've been at 2B with 1 out and our 2 best hitters, Ichiro and Lopez, coming up.

Is Sexson still a Mariner?

Posted by byebyeSexson

9:47 PM, Jul 06, 2008

Richie is toast!

byebye

Posted by yardwork

9:49 PM, Jul 06, 2008

I agree that we should let clement get some AB's against lefties....

The one thing I noticed about today's lineup was we had Cairo and Bloomquist in the same starting lineup.

That means we have no good PR options later (leaving out the obvious and repeatedly mentioned issues with starting Cairo at first etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum) in the game and it ended up biting us in the a$$ later when Ibanez made it to 1b and we couldn't steal second (think it was the 12th inn.).

I would seriously consider not having both in the starting lineup at the same time in the future just for this scenario (not necessarily 15 inn. games, but late inning PR scenarios).

Posted by yardwork

9:54 PM, Jul 06, 2008

Rhodes is coming off Tommy John surgery...and came back 3-8 months faster than most.....If his arm doesn't feel right then we should stay off of his back.

Whether it's because he slept on it funny or because he hurt it punching out Bedards lights.

The only problem I have with Rhodes is getting a HR hit off him in Yankee stadium several years ago.....getting screwed by the ump on the previous pitch or not....unforgivable in that situation.

Posted by Jonathan

10:45 PM, Jul 06, 2008

You know whose hot right now? Adam Jones, his average is up to .282.

I went to Portland the other day to watch Balentin in that game we won 13-5, imo he needs to stay in the minors a couple more weeks he has some huge holes in his swing.

Posted by Full Count

12:06 AM, Jul 07, 2008

Wow, what a pathetic effort what the hell are they saving arms for? Come Riggleman win the games, playing for tomorrow is B.S., tomorrow is next year.
Why should we pay money to see that finish, that really blows....

Posted by shane/olympia

2:19 AM, Jul 07, 2008

man i would of loved to see beltre throw his laser arm from the mound!

i think ichiro should of moved to pitcher if he can throw it money from right to 3rd i think he can get across the plate with some umph!

Posted by Dave from the coast

2:54 AM, Jul 07, 2008

If nothing else, the utilization of a backup catcher as a relief pitcher tells me that The Mariners, The Mariners' organization, the New Manager and Most Of The Players have Totally Given Up on this season. And now the Relief Pitchers are Telling the Manager what they want to do? (Rhodes)...someone should tell these guys "There's no 'I' in 'team'".

Posted by Ryan

5:11 AM, Jul 07, 2008

Arthur Rhodes has pitched 15 innings this year. Give me a break!! It's July, and he's pitched 15 innings. He could have gone out for one inning, I think.

Posted by jeff928

5:38 AM, Jul 07, 2008

Rhodes has shown true grit and determination in the past so I give him the benefit of the doubt. As for Erica Bedard, he is a gutless whiner. Admit that Bavasi made another error on this one, and trade Erica now.

Posted by SDF Mariner

5:46 AM, Jul 07, 2008

What about R.A.F. Dickey? I thought he had a rubber arm and could pitch every day. I thought the whole purpose of him on this team is that he could pitch whenever needed due to throwing a knuckler and not putting much stress on his arm.

Ultimately, this is terrible mismanagement by Riggleman because you should NEVER run out of pitchers in a 14 inning game. I could see it happening in 17 or 18 innings, but 14 innings?

Absurd.

Posted by Truth

6:05 AM, Jul 07, 2008

Yardwork, you are dead wrong, if a guy is okay to be on the active roster then he should get in the game when his team absolutely needs him. This was a desperate situation and it was inexcusable for Rhodes to puss out due to some phantom injury and basically give the game away. If the reason he couldn't go was because of lingering effects of Tommy John then I know the perfect place for him, IT'S CALLED THE DL! It's official now, the inmates are finally running the asylum.

Posted by ricofoy

6:35 AM, Jul 07, 2008

I always wondered what the purpose of a bench coach is..now I know. To make sure you don't run out of pitchers. Obviously, such a difficult job requires a coach with much experience so I say bring back Mac as bench coach. He never would have let that happen.
Yuni has more errors than walks..3 years running.
Adam Jones is quietly having a decent year..as good as the much more celebrated Ellsbury or Ichiro for that matter.
Can you imagine if McLovin told Bedard he had to talk to the media? That brawl would make the Chacon/Wade tussle look tame in comparison. Instead of shoving and choking though, there would be hair-pulling, slapping and scratching.

Posted by Mathematically Eliminated

6:37 AM, Jul 07, 2008

Boo friggin hoo Arthur, you slept on your arm funny. Get out there and pitch for your damn team!

What a wuss. I don't ever want to here war related quotes like "we battled out there" ever again from him nor about him.

But hey, this is after all, the new era in MLB where "men" get pillow inflicted injuries.

Posted by Ryan

7:14 AM, Jul 07, 2008

From what I understand, Dickey and Ichiro both also volunteered to pitch. Why not Silva or Washburn?? I know Wash is pitching tonight, so that might be why. Why not Bedard?? oh yeah, ....I forgot. We need to deal that gutless wonder pretty soon. It soundslike the Phillies and Rays are interested in him. Should be interesting.

Posted by Ryan

7:16 AM, Jul 07, 2008

Did anyone see the Bedard interview before the game yesterday?? I missed it. I kinda wanted to see it. I didn't know he could talk for that long.

Posted by snowbird

8:47 AM, Jul 07, 2008

A huge disservice to Burke, an embarrassing move for Riggleman to make, a surrender flag to the opposition. The Mariners did not want to win that one. What a miserable team.

Posted by Ziasudra

9:51 AM, Jul 07, 2008

Why no Clement?

Posted by Idaho Invader

11:23 AM, Jul 07, 2008

I guess the same "McLaren-like" thinking infiltrating Riggleman's braindead head, which called for Clement to be benched almost all game was the same "thinking" that called for Burke AHEAD of Dickey.

Gotta be kiddin' me

Posted by Parker

4:58 PM, Jul 07, 2008

I slept on my arm last night too. So I went to work and sat while someone else do my work.

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-19

Love this cartoon

Nah, on second thought

Same as it ever was

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-18

LeBron James plugs Kia K900; Tesla Model X delay likelynew
(Kia) LeBron James teams with Kia Basketball star LeBron James has partnered with Kia to promote the K900, the brand's first rear-drive luxury sedan. ...