April 9, 2008 8:20 AM

New weekly spot on KJR

Posted by Geoff Baker

Join me this morning, about 8:25 a.m. on KJR 950 AM for my new weekly radio spot, Talkin' Baseball, with Mitch Levy, host of the Mitch in the Morning show. We'll be on every Wednesday, roughly 8:20 or 8:25 a.m. to do the segment. Very excited about it. It's a good show and hopefully this segment will liven things up even more. Plus, it will force me to get out of bed early.

Posted by scottM

8:56 AM, Apr 09, 2008

from Adam: "Oh, and what happens to Corcoran when JJ gets back?"

Either drop one of the bench players, or figure out what you're going to do with Baek, via trade. Right now, from what I saw last night when the bullpen NEEDED a stopper, Corcoran is earning his place on this team.

Enjoy KJR, GEOFF, but, for the record, Mitch Levy can go back to the East Coast where he belongs. He's the kind of derisive, smart-ass who loves to diss Phil Mickelson for his smile and charity work, then in the next sponsorship ad we hear that he's now driving a LandRover instead of a BMW. Who's the shallow one, Mitch? He's the rude Howard Stern wannabe of Seattle Sports. Ask for a time slot on Softy's, Gas's, or Groz's show instead.

Posted by Donovan

9:02 AM, Apr 09, 2008

Hey - Nice job Geoff. I just listened in. Mitch actually let you talk most of the time. That's rare in radio interviews. Was glad you gave Sexson some props. I am surprised people don't want to talk about him more. He really was the hero last night in my mind. The best thing was he didn't feel like he had to hit Grand Slam #15. A single was all we needed. The bullpen did what I expect them to do. I think RRS is going to surprise people with his reliability this year.

Posted by PRchef

9:10 AM, Apr 09, 2008

Geoff

Any chance the weekly radio gig will have a podcast attached to it?

Posted by gk13

9:12 AM, Apr 09, 2008

good job, but what's the story with Bedard's mouth guard?

Posted by Chris from Bothell

9:15 AM, Apr 09, 2008

I'm sure the show will be fun. AM reception in my car is horrible - I can only keep up with games while commuting thanks to XM - so I'm not going to have to suffer with KJR to listen for this. :)

And I second Donovan's props for your Sexson props. :) As I mentioned in my long-winded post last night, we just might be seeing Sexson reinvent himself, with the walks, doubles and clutch singles... possibly into the kind of RBI guy we were told Jose Vidro was going to be. I still don't trust him, really, with bases loaded, or 2 outs. But I like what I've seen so far.

Posted by BMS

9:21 AM, Apr 09, 2008

I listen to Mitch almost every morning. I, for one, am glad you are on his show. In my opinion, he's the best that KJR has to offer.

Posted by Joel

9:22 AM, Apr 09, 2008

Hey Geoff, what PRchef said: a podcast of these weekly chats would be brilliant!

Posted by scottM

9:28 AM, Apr 09, 2008

So BMS, since you never post here, are you the rude sidekick who answers the phones for Mitch and sits by his side to laugh at the constant putdowns and sexist drivel? Seattle Sports can do better. At least GEOFF will greatly improve that morning show.

Posted by Frito Bandito

9:48 AM, Apr 09, 2008

Mitch does a great job with interviews when he talks sports. Unfortunately, about 50 percent of the morning show is spent on the traffic girls' relationship issues and other irrelevant topics. Oh well, Groz actually has an 'American Idol' segment on his show. During these, a quick click to ESPN Radio seems to do the trick for me.

Posted by scottM

10:16 AM, Apr 09, 2008

I heard the promo where Dick Enberg and Mitch were talking about Bedard's relationship with the press last week. Enberg suggested that these players could stand to use a course in Press Relations etiquette. Mitch laughed, but I couldn't help thinking that Mitch was overdue for a major refresher course in on-the-air etiquette, as well.

Posted by Lance

10:17 AM, Apr 09, 2008

Geoff, 5 minutes is short notice on this. I wasn't listening to Mitch this morning. I usually don't, except on Monday when Jason Stark is on.

Any chance of furnishing a copy of your segment so we can all hear it. Now, I'll know in the future. Jason on Monday, Geoff on Wednesday, Bill Yeend and Manda Factor all other weekdays.

Posted by marinermatt

10:30 AM, Apr 09, 2008

The Jason Stark spots are great, I've always enjoyed those. I heard you today Geoff, nice work. It was a good piece.

Mitch can certainly be annoying. His schtick can definitely wear thin. One thing I'll say is that he is pretty much the only guy on KJR (and dont get me wrong, I love the other guys) who will ask interviewees tough questions. He's not afraid to throw a hardball in there amongst the sexual innuendo and other garbage.

Posted by gk13

10:31 AM, Apr 09, 2008

Gee ScottM for someone who's so down on Mitch's show you seem to listen a lot....

Posted by scottM

10:50 AM, Apr 09, 2008

gk13. KJR is great, but I've largely stopped listening to Mitch. The Enberg piece, as I said, was a promo for the morning show. It wasn't on the show itself.

Posted by shortbus

12:14 PM, Apr 09, 2008

Mitch is the worst. I jump to KJR on the morning drive just long enough to find out if he's talking sports I care about (NOT golf and NOT some college team in Florida) or if he's making lame smalltalk with the other guys on the show. About ninety percent of the time I flip back to something else withing fifteen seconds.

And if ANY host on KJR talks about the April Misogyny-fest Mitch runs every year after March Madness...I flip away. You could do a lot better than Mitch's show on KJR, Geoff. Try to get on with one of the other hosts and I might actually catch your segment.

Posted by scrapiron

12:18 PM, Apr 09, 2008

There is no one on KJR that knows, or at least talks about, the Mariners in depth like this blog. When Dave from USSM is on Groz's show they really dig deep into baseball, and that's great. I'm hoping they let Geoff run with his spot on Mitch's show the same way so he can talk about the in depth analysis of the Mariners that I enjoy.

Posted by rodman

1:19 PM, Apr 09, 2008

If you go to the KJR website, and click on Mitch on Demand, the segment with Geoff is there on podcast or download. Mitch Levy is by far, the best interviewer on that radio station. I could do without the "Bigger Dance" stuff that is coming up, but when I get tired of it, I turn on "The Herd" with Collin Cowherd on ESPN radio.

Posted by Buschleaguer

1:51 PM, Apr 09, 2008

Missed it this morning, but I listened on KJR's website.

Agree that Mitch is the best interviewer on the station but like most on here, I think his "bigger dance" has jumped the shark and is just downright boring. Complete waste of air time. I also can't stand Gas - his condescending attitude drives me nuts and I really just don't like listening to him. Groz is great and I even like Softy when he's not kissing the Huskies butt.

Anyway, glad to see your getting your due. Keep up the great work!

Posted by Big Ebu

1:59 PM, Apr 09, 2008

Geoff,

Nice spot you had on KJR this morning. Normally I am at work so don’t listen to Mitch at 8:30 AM so this might be the only time I actually hear you live. I’m surprised you have not gotten more flak from your comment that McLaren has only made one mistake this year so far (Using EO over RRS on Monday’s game). I also liked your take on Sexson, and your rationale behind why the “Felix Conspiracy Theory” makes no sense.

Posted by kingk

9:58 PM, Apr 09, 2008

Talk radio is a complete joke...these clowns hardly know anything about baseball...If peope didn't wqaste their time calling in, there'd be no show..."Should Rrichie be batting cleanup? What's your take? Please call me now so Ii have a show! " GARBAGE Of course I'll listen to the podcast of Geoff

Posted by Don

11:01 PM, Apr 09, 2008

Mitch is terrible. When he does an interview, his "questions" are usually 5 minute monologues followed by some inane comment along the lines of "Do you agree with me?" I just imagine the interviewee on the other end of the line, waiting for Mitch to shut up. I know I am.

Mitch is the number one cause of radio channel surfing on my way in to work.

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-19

Love this cartoon

Nah, on second thought

Same as it ever was

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-18

What's in a wheel size?new
Dear Tom and Ray: I drive Lincoln Navigators. I like as good a ride as possible for this size vehicle. If I remember correctly, the one I bought in 20...