April 6, 2008 2:13 PM

M's blow it in ninth

Posted by Geoff Baker

orioles3 006.jpg

OK, I'm back up from the clubhouse. I did ask John McLaren about pulling Felix Hernandez after eight. Also asked Hernandez and pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre about it. Some of you are not going to like this, but Hernandez took all the heat off his manager today.

It seems that Stottlemyre asked Hernandez after the eighth whether he wanted to continue, given his pitch count being at only 97. Hernandez usually insists on going back in. This time, he did not. He told them he wasn't feeling 100 percent and thought Eric O'Flaherty could better handle things with three lefties due up among the first four batters. Hernandez threw his bullpen session two days ago instead of the normal three days he would take before a game. Remember, Hernandez was pressed into service because of Erik Bedard pulling up lame. Hernandez says the one fewer day of rest after his bullpen session made a difference today, enough that he wasn't fully ready to tackle the ninth and did not want to put his team in a bind.

Very unusual for Hernandez to say that.

It was still a shocking loss here by the M's, dropping a 3-2 game to the Baltimore Orioles after taking a 2-0 lead into the ninth. Eric O'Flaherty gave up a leadoff double to Nick Markakis and an eventual run on a groundout. O'Flaherty also allowed the tying run on when Luke Scott singled through the right side with two out. Mark Lowe replaced O'Flaherty and allowed a single through the same right side by Jay Payton that left runners at the corners. Lowe then uncorked a wild pitch that brought Scott home to tie the game. Ramon Hernandez walked and Luis Hernandez then lined the game-winning single to center, sending the fans here into a frenzy, as you can see in the photo above.

Hernandez was brilliant, allowing just five hits through eight scoreless innings. The offense slumbered again today, but the pitching was there for eight innings. The pitching will have to be there as Seattle sifts through its early-season hitting and bullpen woes. I'll be back in a bit with some quotes and clips. Just wanted to update you for the moment while I tackle our newspaper duties for a bit. As I said, Hernandez himself is saying he told McLaren and company they'd be better off going with the bullpen. Might just be enough to save McLaren from a public crucifixion this time around.

Posted by Bill

1:05 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Does this constitute "going through the wars?"

Mac is doing nothing different than Hargrove did last year.

Who cares if someone has been "through the wars" when they lose "the wars."

If Mac ever got into a chess match with a manager like Sciosia, Mac would lose every time.

Posted by dc

1:06 PM, Apr 06, 2008

This loss is on McClaren. Felix should've stayed out there. W'hat a friggin joke. Okay. Now I'm pissed. Here goes.....

Wilkerson Sucks
Ichiro should be ashamed of himself that he won't run
Sexson has terrible at bats
The bullpen needs to act like they actually know how to get somebody out. They look stunned out there before they ever threw a pitch.

Posted by Nodiggity

1:06 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Felix Hernandez A+
John McClaren F-

John McClaren just contradicted everything he said he was going to do---not worry about pitch counts.

Posted by calim

1:07 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Oh Geoff, I hope you hold MacIdiot to the fire today.
97 pitches? He can't go 15 more?
No defensive replacements? Bloomquist would have made both of those plays at second.
For Chrissake, how does the man even have a job?

Posted by ross

1:07 PM, Apr 06, 2008

I called this debacle from my couch in las vegas. your stud has thrown only 97 pitches, has thrown 7 pitch innings about 5 innings in a row, is un-hitable, and because "i guess it makes sense to bring in some rag arm in the 9th to close it out" mindset, BLOWS the game.

somebody could pay me to be a manager in the major leagues. what a joke.

Posted by Davischild

1:07 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Any logical reason why McClaren brings the outfield in with two outs in the ninth?

Posted by hcoguy

1:08 PM, Apr 06, 2008

The pitching will have to be there?

How about the managing?

Posted by JR

1:08 PM, Apr 06, 2008

So your closer is out and your starter is brilliant. So what does Mac do, pulls Felix and the bull=pen blows it bigtime. Didn't Mac say that the starters would go deeper in games. What a dope move. Triple=A coach at best.

Posted by azed

1:08 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Bonds is still available...

Honestly, I don't care about his baggage. Get him on this team.

Posted by Rod

1:08 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Unfriggenbelievable. Why do you take out Felix when he is absolutely CRUISING through this game? His pitch count is low. He's basically untouchable, your bullpen needs a day off, and Mac pulls him? I just don't understand. I gave Mac the benefit of the doubt last season, due to the circumstances of him becoming the manager of this team, but the more I see him manage, the more I don't think he's cut out to be a big league manager. It seems like sometimes he makes moves, just for the sake of making a move. He seems to have no "gut" instinct. It's too early to call for his head, but I have to believe that Sam Perlozzo is going to be talked about as a replacement sometime this season if Mac keeps making bonehead moves like this one.

Posted by M's Fan in Oahu

1:08 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Thanks Geoff for getting this new posting added. I am afraid we would have been over 200 posts if we stayed on the thread...lol.

Someone in the media PLEASE let him have it!!

Posted by i heart Morse

1:09 PM, Apr 06, 2008

painful loss, but certainly not entirely all on Mac. Offense had many chances to add on...which is what winning teams do. There was at least an understandable logic behind bringing in EOF...which cannot be said about some of his moves in the past

Posted by Beady Eye Guy

1:10 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Fire Mac. I can't believe how he continues to use his bullpen the way he does.

Argh. Why not let Lowe close the game from the get go? What was with putting EO in that situation?

Posted by Scott

1:10 PM, Apr 06, 2008

not only is he 97 pitches in, but he just went 1-2-3, youre missing your ace closer, and the bullpen has been awful. Completely on Maclaren, I hope he at least takes responsibility for it.

Posted by ethan

1:10 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Just about everyone on our team (including McLaren) has a JOSE "VACANT STARE" MESA quality to them.

im sure Wilkerson is devastated. MR. RENT-A-RIGHT FIEDER must have so much emotional investment in this team.

Posted by PRchef

1:10 PM, Apr 06, 2008

That was very hard to watch

What a wasted opportunity

Geoff

Can you please ask Mac about Felix not coming out on the 9th?

Posted by i heart Morse

1:11 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Davischild:

to have a chance at throwing out the winning run at home...hernandez's hit was perfectly placed...would've won the game no matter what

Posted by Will

1:12 PM, Apr 06, 2008

"hitting and bullpen woes"? I wonder if George Sherril and Adam Jones are available....Ah, who am I kidding? We don't need them. When an ace pitcher goes 8 innings and gives up no runs, the game's pretty much over. Right?

Posted by IndieSnob

1:12 PM, Apr 06, 2008

I no longer regret the Jones-Bedard trade. The reason why?

When you have a manger as terrible as Mac, you could have the greatest lineup of all time, and he'd still manage throw out the least fresh arm from the pen.

Posted by Beady Eye Guy

1:12 PM, Apr 06, 2008

CALIM:

Uhhh, Lopez has better range than frickin Willie. Can we stop with the myth of WFB please?

IF they would have LET Jones take 2nd and positioned Lopez to play the position vs. being closer to the bag, he would have made that play easy.

Blame the coaches NOT the player on that one. Who cares if Jones takes 2nd in that situation? Idiocy is what it is and sorry but Willie wouldn't have done any better, fyi.

Posted by Seth Cotner

1:12 PM, Apr 06, 2008

What is McLaren thinking!!?? Dude. Give the guy a chance to finish out a complete game shutout. What a tool box. Even if we won I would be saying the same thing. Talk about demoralizing to Felix.

Posted by scottM

1:13 PM, Apr 06, 2008

So, GEOFF, if you're John McLaren, what do you tell your players to keep the hardly moving train from de-railing?

How do you instill confidence after something like this? What do you say to Felix? What do you say to O'Flaherty and Lowe?

Do you shake up the line-up, by replacing Wilkerson with Morse or Balentien?

Should Lopez have gotten to that single off of Lowe?

The problem with today for McLaren is the lack of common sense. Not letting Felix at least START the ninth inning, is eerily reminiscent of putting Rick White in the Cleveland game in the Eighth with a well-rested JJ Putz on the bench.

Seriously, how hot would you say the hot seat is for McLaren right now?

Posted by tallahassee-mariner's fan

1:13 PM, Apr 06, 2008

I can't imagine why Felix Hernandez would want to keep playing for the Mariners. Mgmt does not respect him, they're staffed with idiots, and they don't know how to win. Prediction: you'll be seeing Felix in a NY or Boston uniform within 24 months.

Posted by jared

1:13 PM, Apr 06, 2008

I can't stand mclaren. Why not keep Felix in. Does he gave no faith in one of his aces?? Come on. 97 pitches. Could have easily gone the whole way. I hope mclaren learns how to coach soon because that's just ridiculous.

Posted by O's fan

1:13 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Ha ha ha ha hahahahahahahaha!!!!!
Thank you sooooo much Mariners manager! You took out Felix so we could win! hahahahahahaha! I haven't seen managing that dumb for a while hahahaha First you guys overpay for Bedard, now you hand us a game AND a series hahahaha I'd hate to be in Seattle right now, you guys STINK hahahahahaha
by the way did I say THANKS
hahahahahahahaha ohhhhh my

Posted by dc

1:14 PM, Apr 06, 2008

f u o's fan

Posted by Eric

1:14 PM, Apr 06, 2008

I think the Barry Bonds possibility has to be looked at now, aal the baggage included. Also I think that the media really has to get on Mac about this, really, it is important to get an answer.

Posted by ajdaddy

1:15 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Dammit all. Pull Felix for what? 8 scoreless, 97 pitches, yep, better go to the bullpen! If I have to be at the mall while my wife shops, at least win the game! :-). G--dammit!!! One thing to lose, but not games that you have won!!! And Lopez has got to stop that ball!!!

Posted by Rod

1:15 PM, Apr 06, 2008

As for the outfield positioning. I don't have a problem bringing them in a bit to have the chance of throwing a runner out at home. But WHY do you have your Second Baseman playing a right handed hitter UP THE MIDDLE, when you have a pitcher in that throws 96 MPH???? If Jose is playing straight, like he should of been, he wouldn't of had to move an inch to field that ball.

Posted by James

1:15 PM, Apr 06, 2008

McLaren is in over his head. He's a moron when it comes to managing a pitching staff. Why he pulled Felix knowing the bullpen is awful is fireable IMO. It wasn't shocking at all that they blew the game in the 9th.

Mac's fascination with playing small ball with slow guys is killing them. Guys like Wilkerson and Vidro cannot steal bases.

Posted by JR

1:16 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Lopez couldn't catch a grounder with a net. Wilkerson needs to hit the pine.
I agree, why outfield in with two outs?
Ichro won't run, trade him.
How's that for venting?

Posted by i heart Morse

1:16 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Are all O's fans that classy?

Posted by Paul

1:17 PM, Apr 06, 2008

2 Felix starts, 0 earned runs. Why? Mac. He pulled Felix after 97 pitches in two straight starts when he was pitching well. I said it last week after he was pulled after 97, then the pen went on to wreck the game. Now is a MUCH more obvious situation to keep him in the game, and he still pulls him.

But be sure to keep Sexson in the game....

I was at the game yesterday, and Mac completely mismanaged that game as well throughout. I'm not saying we deserved to win, but we didn't even have anyone up in the pen until AFTER Miggy had walked in the tying run and thrown about 30 pitches that inning.

Mac is seriously terrible. He's cost us games singlehandedly already.

Posted by hcoguy

1:17 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Why EOF?

I want an explanation for that.

RRS has not pitched in a couple days and is better.

Posted by Beady Eye Guy

1:18 PM, Apr 06, 2008

I see, blame Lopez right? Okay.

He's a better fielder than what we have on the bench. Hate to break it to you folks who hate Lopez, but the stats do bear out he's a good fielder.

I blame coaching here, plain and simple. Let Jones take second and position Lopez in his normal spot.

Posted by canuck0924

1:18 PM, Apr 06, 2008

McLaren wont last. What a idiot manager. Hasnt he learned after 30 years in the majors you go with your hot hand. I dont know how much of this idiot managing I can take.

Posted by O's Fan 4 Life

1:18 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Oh yeah. Go ORIOLES. Ain't those Baltimore crabcakes delicious!!!!!!!

Posted by O's fan

1:18 PM, Apr 06, 2008

YO dc no F you loser look at the score biiiiatch! hahahahhaha Mariners suck cahones hahahaha what a stupid manager man what an idiot hahahaha
thanks again losers!!!

Posted by palermo22

1:19 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Actually, from an O's perspective the trade is all Baltimore thus far - maybe young players are the way to go - they are hungrier and hustle more. Let's see, they said the Orioles would be lucky to win 60 games this year - only 56 to go!

Posted by merisman

1:19 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Stupid move by Mac. Unreal. This is the kind of loss that defines a season.

Posted by markus

1:19 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Thy assemble a team reliant on pitching and defense, but give up one of the best late inning lefties in the game and leave a terrible defense out there. Every issue that the team refused to acknowledge is coming to fruition. This team can't hit any better than last year, but with Guillen out of the lineup it's worse. All my optimism is shattered. I hope it isn't a long summer, but now I've lost faith in Bavasi, McLaren and many of the vets. Hopefully they turn it around quickly or we get a clean sweep of the management.

Hey, remember when tony LaRussa said he'd like to come to Seattle? Yeah, I wonder if St. Louis will let him go.

Oh, and I'm glad we kept Cairo on this team. Why did we keep five bench guys when McLaren refuses to ever use his bench or move around the lineup? seriously, did he print the lineup card in February and is blindly sticking to it?

Posted by Thomas

1:19 PM, Apr 06, 2008

I remember pitchers pitching complete games with pitch counts of 120+. Why pull the guy after 97? I can understand being careful with Felix, but isn't it time to stop treating the guy like a baby? If I were Felix, I'd be pissed!

Posted by peter Borgstrom

1:19 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Do all O's fans have down syndrome?

Posted by Beady Eye Guy

1:19 PM, Apr 06, 2008

HC,

Why EO indeed. Probably Mac saw he closed in the minors and made a last minute decision. Let's see, Lowe has all of 2/3 of an inning pitched so why NOT use the fresher arm?

Posted by dc

1:20 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Very nice o's fan. Your unmarried, unshaven mother would be proud.

Posted by Matt

1:20 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Adam Jones was PR for Luke Scott and scored the tying run. LUIS Hernandez hit the single to score Payton for the Winning Run.

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

1:20 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Exactly right. I wouldn't expect anything less from the brilliant mind of McLaren who probably ignores charts and stats and went with a hunch.

Posted by Troy

1:21 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Absolutely sickening to watch. Felix didn't look too taxed in that hasty 1-2-3 bottom of the 8th he pitched. He better have suddenly taken ill, turned an ankle entering the dugout, or asked to come out of that game. Anything short of that, it was an AWFUL move by Mac. The Orioles had feasted on our bullpen in the first two games, and you could see those sorry flailing scrubs SALIVATING when Felix didn't come out in the 9th! What a *()&(*&# bonehead move!!!

Posted by Beady Eye Guy

1:21 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Mac should cut his pet Cairo today. TODAY. Why do we have a no hit Bloomquist clone on this team AND he hasn't played once (has he?).

Cut him NOW and bring Norton or Wlad's bat up. Also, enough about this leftie vs leftie b.s. Mac loves to blindly stick to (EO vs O's lineup).

Posted by O's fan

1:21 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Are all Mariners fans whiney bitches??
Thanks again LOSERS hahahahahahaa

Posted by Thomas

1:22 PM, Apr 06, 2008

There are guys like Clement & Balentien in Tacoma, but apparently they're not experienced enough! McLaren would rather have a mediocre guy like Wilkerson cause he's a veteran. What a joke!

Lincoln, how about giving Bavasi a contract extension or do we need to increase the payroll to 200M in order to make the postseason?

Posted by da

1:23 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Hey o's fan, when was the last time you replaced all the blue tarps in the front yard of your single wide?

Posted by fortheloveofsexson

1:23 PM, Apr 06, 2008

WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN:

FIRE MCLAREN AND BAVASI.

RELEASE SEXSON AND WILKERSON.

PLAY BALANTIEN AND MORSE. PERHAPS CLEMENT.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN: SAME OLD, SAME OLD.

GEOFF -- PLEASE COMMENT ON THE FACT THAT MCLAREN AND BAVASI HAVE MADE SO MANY BAD MOVES THAT NEITHER CAN DO THE RIGHT THING NOW WITHOUT ADMITTING HOW BADLY THEY SCREWED UP. WHAT HOPE IS THERE?

Posted by playball

1:23 PM, Apr 06, 2008

A place to vent in important, so thanks Geoff.
HOW THE F DO YOU TAKE OUT THE ACE?!
Just play ball. Please don't over think, just play.
I like to see the aggressive base running early in the game, but not with Wilkerson. Who the hell is he anyway?
Interesting stat: the M's are tops in the league with 8 errors!

Posted by Beady Eye Guy

1:23 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Hey O's fan, I'm not whining. You guys better enjoy this as you won't win much more this year anyway.

Posted by Eric

1:23 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Mac, is just looking like he is breaking down again, like someone ran over his puppy, i am not sure that he is managerial material in MLB. This is one of the most pathetic post game interviews. He states "it just did not work" Really? That is all he has to say?

Posted by Dignan

1:23 PM, Apr 06, 2008

LOL

Nice music playing in the background during Mac's postgame interview on FSN. At least the anchor chick is smokin' hot. LOL

Posted by Andy McPhail

1:24 PM, Apr 06, 2008

I'd just like to thank the Mariners and their fans for giving us Adam Jones and George Sherril for a rude, borish, overrated pitcher.

Thanks alot. Hopefully I won't get thrown in jail for unarmed robbery.

Also, thanks for picking up Sam Perlozzo from us. He was our manager the past 2 years or so and completely stunk. Now it looks like he's taken his stinkiness with him to Seattle.

Oh man, am I a genius.

ORIOLES - 3
M's - 2

Posted by Tom

1:24 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Will someone please tell me when we are going to get a manager here that will light a fire in these guys butts like Lou Piniella did?

Because until John McLaren doesn't give these guys any more pillows to sit on, this team is going to have a lot more losses like this.

And by the way, a special thanks to Bill Bavasi for this loss. Lest we forget that in 2 years time he has traded away Rafael Soriano, George Sherrill, Kam Mickolo, and Adam Jones and in return the Mariners have gotten Erik Bedard and Horacio Ramirez while also signing Brad Wilkerson.

Ya, like this is going to be a team that wins a World Series here. Unless some serious changes are made up top, this team is going to be mediocre for a long time and I hope the upper management realizes soon that last year this team merely just got lucky to get 88 wins.

Posted by Pete

1:26 PM, Apr 06, 2008

I don't get it. Did all of these O's fans go on google and search for a Mariners message board to post on? Yeah, that seems pretty reasonable.

Posted by merisman

1:27 PM, Apr 06, 2008

With starting pitching like this, we cannot afford to blow games in April against bad teams. We have a window to win now - go sign Bonds, or go after Sosa. Sosa only played in 120 or so games last year because the Rangers were out of it early - yet had over 90 RBI and is fresh and cheap. At least he is a threat at bat, not sure what Wilkerson brings to the team. MUST get some offense and Mac MUST stay with the hot hand in games like this. Felix has pictched 15 innings with ZERO earned runs and has no wins to show for it. Criminal.

Posted by Erik Bedard

1:27 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Wow, Andy are all O's fans like you this unoriginal?

We are what...6 games into the season now? Don't get too blinded by these wins. I maybe Boorish (spell it correcly, OKAY?) but I am still better than most of your starters in a heartbeat.

I can't help it if my manager is an idiot.

Posted by tallahassee-mariner's fan

1:27 PM, Apr 06, 2008

10 straight losing seasons O's Fan. Enjoy your 15 minutes. Your crappy team was owned today by Felix and I guarantee its all down hill from here for you guys.

Posted by Bill

1:27 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Fire Mac. Sign Bonds or trade Kenji for Griffey (if that's an option). Call up Clement and Wlad. Cut Wilkerson. That would be a start.

What a waste of a gem by one of your aces.

Posted by dc

1:28 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Pete....what amazes me is they can afford a computer. I thought you can only use government subsidies purchases such as milk and bread.

Posted by Notor

1:28 PM, Apr 06, 2008

It is becoming apparent that John McLaren has no idea how to manage baseball at all.

His bullpen management is atrocious, it's almost like he doesn't know Ryan Rowland-Smith is on the roster, and he's overusing O'Flaherty and Green.

Everything he's done so far has made this team worse. He's an idiot, there's just no other explanation....He can't even adhere to the most basic conventional wisdom.

Posted by Rod

1:29 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Amen Bill! I agree!

Posted by merisman

1:30 PM, Apr 06, 2008

By the way as bad as the Mariners have been the Orioles will be out of it by June. The only thing worse that being a Mariners fan right now, would be to be an Orioles fan... :)

Posted by JR

1:30 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Nice post game Mac. But, why no tough questions from reporters? R U guys afraid of asking "what the hell is going on" I also agree with the post questioning why are the M's not using other bench players. Mike M blisters the spring an sits on his ass. It's onloy the first wek of the season and things look bleak. Will Mac be the first to be shown the door?

Posted by O's fan is GOD

1:30 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Hey Pete, I used Yahoo to find this blog. Get it right

Posted by BobLoblaw

1:30 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Priceless look on Mac's face during the post-game cornering of him. He knows this stain won't come out. Forget the idea of Felix refusing to come off the mound in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't refuse to even TAKE the mound.

Posted by Matt in SC

1:31 PM, Apr 06, 2008

I just can't take this. As a Mariners fan on the east coast, it's tough for me to stay up until 1am to watch the end of home games, but I do it because I love the Mariners.

But not anymore. McLaren has taken the joy out of being a Mariners fan. Already this season has an impending sense of doom over it. You just keep waiting for the next dumb move... yanking Felix before 100 pitches? When we have limited bullpen depth because JJ is out? To bring in someone who pitched the day before? While not bringing in any defensive replacements? When we're ahead by two runs on the road?

I've been angry at players before for messing up, but it's a different type of anger because they're usually trying their hardest. But this kind of anger is completely different. This is a person who is obviously incompetent and unqualiified to be a major league manager. He made the worst possible decision, repeatedly, to lose that game.

This isn't a case of a batter missing a ball, or a fielder making an error, or a runner being thrown out - this is a result of horrible decision-making by someone whose JOB it is to make decisions. As long as these Mariners are managed by John McLaren, I can't spend any more of my time following them. I love them, yes, and I hope they will do well, but being a passionate Mariner fan is ruining my quality of life. So I'm taking a break, and hoping my daily life will lose the heavy weight and ominous sense of dread John McLaren's Mariners bring to it.

Yeah, you can say this is an overreaction, but all I know is that for the first time in my life, the Mariners bring me sadness rather than joy. Even from 2002-2007, it was still more rewarding to follow the team daily than it is now. The difference is that now, we actually have the potential make the playoffs, and an idiot manager standing in our way doing whatever it takes to prevent it from happening.

Posted by Idaho Invader

1:32 PM, Apr 06, 2008

So if Lopez doesn't need any defensive replacements, then why is Cairo on the team anyway?

If RRS can't be trusted to pitch in the same situation EOF was clearly not ready for, then why is he in the pen?

If we don't need Bonds, why does our offense suck?

Posted by dc

1:33 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Well said Matt. Couple this with the cost it takes to attend a game at Safeco and I'm about done. I took my family for opening day and had to spend $4.25 an a bottle of water. And for what? A team that takes my money, won't let me listen to Niehaus call the end of the game while watching it in HD at the same time, and then manages this thing likes it's a little league team.

I am beyond pissed.

Posted by pete

1:34 PM, Apr 06, 2008

"Hey Pete, I used Yahoo to find this blog. Get it right"

Cool, man. Sounds like your life is pretty fulfilling.

Posted by spacemuse

1:35 PM, Apr 06, 2008

I love how at the beginning of a season people look at everygame like it's game 6 or 7 in a 7 game series.
It's like our minds are still in football mode where every game is hugely important.
Felix was outstanding today, it's a shame they didn't leave him in.
But they didn't, they played the "percentages", and lost the gamble.
That's baseball. There's another game tomorrow.
This team is going to be really solid once the season really gets rolling. Very disappointing loss, but I'm still really excited about the potential this season.

Go M's!

Posted by Rod

1:35 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Geeze Matt in SC, don't put a bullet in your head, for God's sake. If you take this stuff THAT serious, you need to think about getting a life. It's just a damn game, after all.

Posted by dc

1:35 PM, Apr 06, 2008

He's really familiar with Yahoo because that's where he stalks the chat rooms.

Posted by Faceplant

1:39 PM, Apr 06, 2008

"The only thing worse that being a Mariners fan right now, would be to be an Orioles fan... :)"

Exactly. Orioles fan certainly knows ALL about losing. The Orioles haven't even finished over .500 in over ten years. Have fun with that team buddy!

Posted by Orioles Lover

1:39 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Sorry for the moronic posts by "O's Fan." I guess all cities have folks like him. Anyway, we lost a few like this last year and, you're right, it hurts. I love the O's but don't expect much this year. Wait until 2010 and we'll finally get by the Yankees and Red Sox.

Posted by M's fan since 77

1:39 PM, Apr 06, 2008

FIRE McLAREN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There Was NO WAY the Orioles were going to score 3 runs off Felix the way he was pitching.

The Mariners are 0-3 against the team that is supposed to be the worst in baseball. How are they going to compete againt the Red Sox or Angels ?

McLaren is a Nice guy, but a Terrible Manager.

Posted by dc

1:40 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Orioles Lover - thanks for the post. It's good to see the better element is still rooting for their team.

Posted by Faceplant

1:41 PM, Apr 06, 2008

"I love the O's but don't expect much this year. Wait until 2010 and we'll finally get by the Yankees and Red Sox."

I think everybody would root for someone to knock out both the Sox, and Yankees! Well, enjoy Jones, Tillman, and Sherrill. Seriously you guys are going to love them!

Posted by O's fan

1:41 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Pete & dc are a coupla whiney bithces hahahaha
thanks again for the win losers...
oh yeah dc your MOM says hello at least I think that's what she said, hard to tell with her mouth full and all hahahahahaha

Posted by Peter Angelos

1:41 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Boy do I know how to run a ballclub?

You all in Seattle want me to send you some delicious Maryland Crabcakes to help ease the pain of your teams performance?

Posted by tallahassee-mariner's fan

1:43 PM, Apr 06, 2008

McLaren should be greeting customers at Walmart, not managing a professional baseball team. Don't they have a basic intelligence test managers have to take?

Posted by Groove

1:43 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Twilight Zone today...

Could Mac have asked for a better situation today??? Bullpen is reeling and you are desperate for a solid 7+ out of your starter. He gets 8 innings of shutout ball! Then, inexplicably, goes to the pen for a guy who has been shaky at best early on this season in Eric O. Unfreakin' believable.

Posted by JJ

1:51 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Gignan----yeah, what was up with the cheesy background music FSN pumped in during Mac's post game interview? It was like elevator music...trying to lighten the mood? That was weird. The bullpen is weak, but I don't blame this loss on them. Are we forgetting that the offense only produced 2 runs???? 2 runs??? Are you kidding me??? If the offense did their F'ing job, the pressure on the bullpen wouldn't be as strong as it is (especially with your closer out). The offense is a joke....what's Bonds phone #??

Posted by Rounders

1:52 PM, Apr 06, 2008

How to Snatch Defeat from the Jaws of Victory
-- by John McClaren

Enough said.

Posted by li

1:53 PM, Apr 06, 2008

I'm a Taiwanese and live in Taipei...
My English is not well so can't express all I want to say.
I watched the game through MLB.TV
Jones run to plate and Baltimore won the game..
What a satiric scene..
We wasted a good opportunity.....
I fell deep upset about the loss..
I don't want to see Baltimore sweep Seattle.
Wilkerson is terrible since oppening game..
Ichiro didn't help team much yet..
Here is 4:46...
Felix Hernandez is awesome !
He is one of the best pitcher in MLB

Posted by JJ

1:53 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Don't worry guys.....we'll make these games up against the Yanks, Sox, Angels, and Indians.

Posted by Walla Walla Girl

1:56 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Sigh.
Fire MacLaren now. And Bavasi.
Dump Wilkerson.
(Anybody miss Jose Guillen and Adam Jones?)
Trade Kenji for someone useful and play Burke/Clement.
Play Morse every day.
Bring up Balentein and a bunch of bullpen pitchers.
Don't run the slow people! Use Jimerson.
We need offense, a bullpen, and someone who knows how to manage a team.
If no ML managers are available, I'd be happy with Geoff and/or the Mariner bloggers as managers.
Get Griffey.
I am so very sorry for Felix. Love ya, Felix!
Who didn't see this coming? :(

Posted by Thomas

1:58 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Did anyone really think this team was going to be better than last year? I've been complaining since last season about the roster and the offense.

Vidro and Ibanez are identical, slow and old. Pick one as the DH and trade the other. If Mac really wants to play NL baseball, he's going to need speed in LF and RF. I still don't understand why they didn't just give the RF job to Balentien. He needs to get experience at the major league level.

Enough of this BS about needing a piece of something from the 95 M's or the 116 win season. The FO and organization need a sense of direction.

Posted by Walla Walla Girl

2:06 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Posted by Nat

2:07 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Matt in SC, you said it best - Mac is taking all the joy out of watching Mariners baseball! I knew something bad was going to happen in the 9th and left the room to do chores with an ear to the game, wondering why Felix wasn't going back in. Surely Mac must have considered leaving him to close it out. Someone here said Mac doesn't seem to have good instincts - even with all his years of experience - he's out of his element and therefore is second-guessing himself and totally blowing it.

What's going to change this month? Tampa Bay and Oakland are playing pretty well, Kansas City too, and the LAAAAAA can always muster it up when they play us!

Posted by Adam

2:09 PM, Apr 06, 2008

I've been saying this ever since the Bedard trade - we are no better than last year offensively, a little worse defensively, and a lot worse in the bullpen this year.

Although this is only 6 games, I think we can expect struggles at the plate, shoddy defense, shaky work from the pen, and, most importantly, poor decision-making from the dugout.

I believed this a couple of weeks ago, and I believe it now:

Get Barry Bonds, put him at DH
Put Wlad in LF
Put Raul at 1B (platoon w/Richie)
Bench Vidro
Cut Morse and Cairo
Bring up Dickey

Posted by Madaboutthis!

2:10 PM, Apr 06, 2008

This should read "McLaren blows it in 9th." There was absolutely no reason to pull Felix and give this game over to a closerless bullpen. He had an easy 8th, had only thrown 97 pitches, and was dominant throughout. By taking him out, the skipper managed to rattle the confidence of two young arms, ticked off Felix, and worse, lose a game. This, as I see it, is inexcusable. While I certainly don't want to see Felix abused, he should be more than capable of throwing 110 pitches and finishing this game, even in April.

Posted by Teej

2:14 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Prediction: you'll be seeing Felix in a NY or Boston uniform within 24 months.

Fact: Felix isn't eligible to sign with another team until 2012.

Posted by M's Fan in Oahu

2:23 PM, Apr 06, 2008

So Felix said it was time to come out. I will say this...he was actually looking at the matchup and knew enough to bring in a fresh arm. Problem is you just let the 21 year old kid make the managerial decision because you couldnt JMac.

So he threw the bullpen session which of course too some gas from him in the late innings.

And Geoff you said might save him...not sure thats going to happen.

Posted by Mr. X

2:23 PM, Apr 06, 2008

It's unfortunate that Felix decided to "opt out" of the 9th inning, especially with our bullpen situation. This isn't your Father's MLB.

To answer the question from the previous thread about OBP:

Sexson - .360
Ichiro - .308
Wilkerson - .300
Vidro - .167

Proving yet again why Ichiro needs to hit .320 or above to be an effective MLB player, much less an effective leadoff hitter.

Posted by O's are Gods

2:28 PM, Apr 06, 2008

You all are a bunch of losing, crybabies who root for a STINK-static team.

O's are on their way to the 2008 World Series title

Posted by Mr. X

2:28 PM, Apr 06, 2008

And just to further explain why I threw Vidro in there, since I know I'll have to, he is the only player on the team with 20 or more at-bats with a lower OBP than Ichiro.

Posted by Jordan

2:34 PM, Apr 06, 2008

It is very disheartening to see McLaren get out managed day in and day out.

I might just still be bitter about getting swept at home last year by the Angels when scioscia put on a clinic.

Different year, same BullSH*T

Posted by BobLoblaw

2:37 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Interesting note: Broussard leads the AL in RBI as of this afternoon's ongoing performance in Anaheim (How 'bout that grand slam on Friday night?).

OK, off to pitch the "all you can eat seats" idea to the M's front office again ...

Posted by PRchef

2:38 PM, Apr 06, 2008

You're right Geoff, I didn't like hearing that from Felix.

Posted by Walla Walla Girl

2:39 PM, Apr 06, 2008

OK, so Felix takes the heat this time. Thanks for the update, Geoff. That doesn't fix the problems with this team, however. You know what they say, there is no time like the present. Fix it now.

Posted by Jack

2:39 PM, Apr 06, 2008

As a manager, he should have told Felix "sorry kid, but we need you"

Posted by Jordan

2:42 PM, Apr 06, 2008

only one inning ... take him out if he doesnt get the first batter ... mac really got eaten by this decision ... would people be complaining if O'Flaherty did his job?

Posted by Authority

2:45 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Pics, videos, and sound clips? Nice blog Geoff, I'm going to have to start paying attention.

I also feel we take the national anthem way to seriously. However i do find this a little offensive. I thought they were going to do something historically appropriate since this is where Scott Key wrote the thing. Inserting your team into the anthem is disrespectful and just stupid. In Atlanta do they finish it off with "...the home of the Braves"?

Posted by Teej

2:46 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Felix was out there on about 12 hours' notice. If his arm didn't feel ready for the ninth, sending him back out there could have been very bad -- for the team and for his health.

Today's loss was brutal, but honestly, I'm psyched that a kid as young as Felix has shown so much maturity in admitting when he just doesn't have it.

Posted by helpFelix

2:46 PM, Apr 06, 2008

I'd put money on it that Felix is just covering Mac's butt!

I think it's Bonds time people! It was reported that the Rangers could sneak in over the next 2 months and grab him if he's still available. Washington was reported last night in saying that he'd LOVE to have Bonds on his team in the AL West.

I also think Bavasi should try and dish Baek/Morse now over the the Nats for Nick Johnson!

This could get REALLY ugly over the next week for Seattle! Especially with the Angels coming up!

Posted by Chip1010

2:48 PM, Apr 06, 2008

As much as I would love to have Nick Johnson on this team, the Nats aren't going to trade their best hitter for two AAA lifers like Morse and Baek.

Posted by ethan

2:50 PM, Apr 06, 2008

WOW! a lot of high maintenance white people are angry over the outcome of baseball game. C'mon! lets all go to Whole Foods and buy a 12 dollar sandwich! bring your pitch forks and torches!

Posted by Chip1010

2:50 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Oops, I forgot about Zimmerman, but Johnson is one of their top hitters.

Posted by Authority

2:52 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Felix should have at east come out for the ninth. Along with everything else people have stated here, Why not let him go for a complete game shutout! If a pitcher has a shutout going into the ninth, managers ALWAYS give them a chance to finish it off - often putting the game in jeopardy. Even if they had escaped with a one run victory, McLaren would have received dome criticism for not letting your franchise player take a shot this. Unfathomable.

Posted by notor

2:56 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Okay, let's assume Felix really did want to come out for a second (I don't buy it personally, unless by "not being 100%" Felix meant he was experiencing pain). And let's assume that because of that Mel and McLaren wanted to play the matchups because of it.

Posted by Lenny Randle's Breath

3:11 PM, Apr 06, 2008

I can't believe the Red Sox,Yankees,and Tigers are out of it as well. What a surprising 2008 season. Well, there's always next year.

Oh, wait. You mean they've only played six games? It's only April? My mistake, I was starting to sound like all those crazy Seattle Times blog posters that call themselves "Mariner Fans".

How are you guys able to write your posts with pitchforks and torches in your hands?

The M's rock this year. You guys suck.

GO MARINERS!!!

Posted by angryseasonticketholder

3:12 PM, Apr 06, 2008

As bad as the move to pull Felix after 8 (the standard today is 200 innings is a pitching stud, back 30 years ago goes would go over 300 and pitch complete games!) and another poor offensive showing the most glaring play has to be Lopez's rout to the "single" in the 9th that an average major leaguer turns into a routine out. I notice in the opener he tried to slide around the ball and doesn't extend his mitt to full extension. This is the 3rd play this year like this that should have been a relatively easy out.

A straight dive to the ball is an easy play..even if he doesn't field it cleanly he has plenty of time to pick it up and throw the guy out.

Posted by Adam

3:21 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Good thing, then, that he's hit over .320 five out of his seven years, has a career BA of .333, and has never had an OBP of less than .350.

Whew...

Posted by coug

3:33 PM, Apr 06, 2008

figures, bedard is on the DL while jones scores the winning run against us. good work bavasfuck

Posted by ken baltimore

3:34 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Please excuse any of my rude and excited Baltimore compatriots who may be leaving somewhat idiotic and abrasive comments here. We have no beef with Seattle. So far.

Understand, after 10 stinkin' seasons plus virtually all of the baseball media predicting our 'worst team in baseball' status for this season, we are extremely giddy on how our O's are playing so far: With positive energy, timely hitting, good defense Plus a for-once solid bullpen helping compensate for our iffy rotation.
Both of our teams have battled this series, but happily my O's have been ready and able to take advantage of your Mariners' lapses.
We wish we still had Bedard and I'll be surprised if he doesn't come through for you this season. As for us, so far we are happy with the fruits of the trade.
Cheers!

Posted by DK

3:36 PM, Apr 06, 2008

As a O's fan I must apoligize for the postings by the "other " O's fans. I think the 10 yrs of losing has blinded some of our fans. Its exciting that we have won a few, but its just the begining of the season. Enthusiasm shouldn't lead to cockiness. The M's have talent and should be in hunt. I'll be happy if we go .500.

Posted by coug

3:37 PM, Apr 06, 2008

agree, ichiro is the most overrated player in MLB history. if he isnt hitting 350 he is fucking god awful. I was so mad when they signed him to a big deal not beltran. Ichrio is a damn marketing tool. Any wonder why not team has ever tried to trade for him? YEP, as sports illustrated said a few months ago he is the most overrated MLB player and players also voted him as a bad fielder and not a good hitter compared to real CF like hunter or jim edmonds

Posted by markus

3:40 PM, Apr 06, 2008

I'm curious how McVasi are going to further screw up the roster when they adjust the bullpen. I'm sure it will be awesome and they will be very shrewd with their moves, just like all their other moves.

By the way, they are surprised that Wilkerson isn't hitting? You mean the guy that didn't hit last year? Glad that no one saw it coming that an older guy that has struggled lately would continue to struggle. Seems to be a theme with this management, guys like Sexson, etc. will continue to give you what they've always given you. Oh, unless they haven't given you anything lately, and then they will give you valuable experience which won't actually help the team.

This team is not as good as the FO thinks, and instead of rebuilding properly and maybe having a so-so year and then some good years, they look like they are posed for a couple of bad years and then have to rebuild all over again. I know it can't be as bad as it seems, but outside of starting pitching and JJ, this team really has not playoff caliber qualities. Poor hitting, poor defense and poor baserunning isn't really a great combination for winning.

Posted by M's 10th man

3:40 PM, Apr 06, 2008

What's up with Ichiro? I miss him being our star.

Bring up R. A Dickey. I bet he can help until Putz is back.

Fire Mac. He looks like a deer in headlights all the time. He cannot manage the M's the rest of the season - please!

Take Brad out, put Morse in for goodness sakes!

Felix, you are our King!

Posted by Amad

3:52 PM, Apr 06, 2008

I don't believe that Ichiro was named the most overrated baseball player by anybody. You'll have to provide a link or some proof for all of us.

Posted by James from Walla Walla

4:08 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Hey Fellow Bloggers--Great Stuff!!
Thought I would relist some of the comments that
really struck home to my way of thinking!!

Notor comments below:

"Why do you put O'Flaherty in instead of Ryan Rowland-Smith? O'Flaherty had thrown 34 pitches in the past 2 games, you have to be insane to use him again today. RRS has thrown 7 pitches total this entire season. It still makes no sense and a grilling for McLaren is still well deserved, it was moronic to put Potatoes out there."

I totally Agree! Use the freshest arm!

Notor comments below:

"Then he runs these STUPID hit and run plays with our SLOWEST guys, and of course they get thrown out because, umm, THEY'RE SLOW! If you insist on throwing away baserunners at least try it with people who have a chance of not getting thrown out by 10 feet. Seriously, Vidro? Wilkerson? He's tried this 3 times so far (that I can remember) and they've been thrown out twice. Vidro would've been out by a good 10 feet too were it not for a bad throw that went into center field."

Common sense say put in your best defenders in the game at the end. Also, if you are going to run
or hit and run in the 7-9 innings use the speed off
the bench. How can you not pinch run for Wilkerson rather than continue to have him thrown out??

We have all these coaches assisting Mac who have experience, yet what is up with these decisions?

Walla Walla Gal posts:

"What is Mel Stottlemyre's role as pitching coach? Shouldn't (or couldn't) he be helpful with pitching decisions? What is he thinking? Obviously, Mac is to blame, but couldn't Mel have prevented today's disaster?"

"Out of the jaws of VICTORY!"

Posted by Bethesda_Jack

4:19 PM, Apr 06, 2008

As an O's fan who froze through today's game, I advise you all to take a "chill pill." Hernandez was unconscious today, and we were all relieved to see him not come out for the 9th inning, but the O's are on a good streak, now, and the M's aren't. Over the course of the season, the M's are going to do fine, while the O's will continue our rebuilding process. In other words, don't get your panties in a twist one week into the season!

I didn't see any comments about the fans yelling "O" during the national anthem, but it's just a fun thing we do in the mid-Atlantic. Heck, while the sophisticated fans at Fenway are singing "Sweet Caroline," we've been quite happy with "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" for years.

So thank you for Adam and George and the rest of the guys you sent to us for Erik. When he's healthy, he's "lights out," and you guys are going to love him, even if he's quiet and lacks color. Until he got hurt last season, he was a legitimate Cy Young candidate with a really awful team, and he'll get your guys to the playoffs.

Posted by Larsson

4:45 PM, Apr 06, 2008

This mariners team is really hurting without J.J. Putz and George Sherrill. I wish the mariners would have traded Eric O'Flaherty, Ryan Rowland-Smith, and Ryan Feiarbend and Adam Jones for Erik Bedard, because obviuosly the mariners are hurting without Sherrill. I agree with Mclaren on taking King Felix out because remember last year when Felix threw his shutout against Boston in his second start in cold weather and threw way too many pitches and in his next start hurt his elbow. Same kind of circumstances considering it was cold and Felix's second start of the season. Plus, it's too early to be complaining, remember the Angels team that won the world series in 2002, they started off extremely slow then won the world series. So be patient.

Posted by fred

4:46 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Don't believe Felix asked out after the 8th inning, breezing as he was. It would have been completely uncharacteristic of him. His pitch count was low. The bullpen was shaky. Why didn't McLaren or Stottlemyre just pat him on the butt and hand him the ball for the 9th?

Second, why does someone not take Lopez in hand and show him where to position himself in the infield? He always cheats toward 2d base and cannot cover well to his left. What should have been a 3d-out grounder, by a left-handed hitter, ending the game in a Mariners victory, turned into a single under his glove extending the rally. Lopez was playing as if the batter were a right-hand pull hitter.

This loss will have longer-term effects. It was a victory clearly blown by the bench, which was exposed as stupid. Demoralizing.

Posted by Scooter Jones

4:51 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Is Bob Gibson willing to come out of retirement?

OMG, I'm sick of this style of baseball. Pay Guys miliions of dollars a year and they suggest to the Coach that another Guy in the Bullpen can finish off the game better than they can? I find that hard to believe!

Posted by The Patriot

4:51 PM, Apr 06, 2008

I just wanna say that when those disrespectul Orioles fans yell 'O' during the national anthem their doing a disservice to all those who fought and died for the U.S.A. Leave it to those unaptriotic, classless, liberal East Coasters to think that it's "fun and neat" to yell during the national anthem.

Go live in Iran. America is too good for you.

God Bless America

Posted by ethan

4:58 PM, Apr 06, 2008

i cant think of anything more unpatriotic than the unitary executive theory and fabricating bogus pretexts for neo-colonial wars of paranoid aggression and military adventurism.

Posted by Nick in PDX

4:59 PM, Apr 06, 2008

"The offense slumbered"

Get used to it.

Posted by MtGrizzly

5:16 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Felix's words to Stottlemeyer, according to Felix himself in the post game radio interview: "I'm done. Go get the lefty."

Jesus, people. Do you really want Mac forcing the franchise player back to the mound when he's gassed? In May? Really?

There are plenty of reasons to question Mac's management of the team. The decision to go to the pen in the 9th inning today just isn't one of them.

Posted by O's Fan with some class (and some brains)

6:11 PM, Apr 06, 2008

Hey...Baltimore fan here. The obnoxious O's fan on this board is some 9 year old turd who escaped from nap time.

We O's fans have NO right going on other teams' blogs--what is it, one week into the season?--and start acting like fools especially given our recent and not so recent very sorry history.

I hope we start giving the AL East some competition instead of being the perennial doormat...looks good right now, but please, let's play more than 1% of our games first, OK?

Posted by Chip1010

6:18 PM, Apr 06, 2008

1. Felix makes about a half-million dollars a year, not much more than the league minimum.

2. You have no idea how his arm was feeling, and you're questioning his character? What if he was absolutely beat but insisted on finishing and got rocked, or -- even worse -- got injured? Then would we be calling him selfish and "not a team player"?

Posted by Nick Tattinger

11:51 AM, Apr 07, 2008

Painful watching Dr. Phil aka J McLaren manage a ballgame...
Like watching Maury Wills back in 80,81...
Same attitude...Thinks he's smarter than everyone else...
Still need another bat...
go find that guy who used to play for the Pirates.
.big noggin,walks a lot, hits a lot of HR's...
Probably low maintenance at this point...just get him a big enough hat...
Hey, maybe Bret Boone's cap is still around....that ought to fit him...Or maybe Buhner's..

nick

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-19

Love this cartoon

Nah, on second thought

Same as it ever was

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-18

New 3-wheelers merge fun and safety new
Children who begin their vehicular life on tricycles typically migrate to two-wheelers by the time they start kindergarten, eventually graduating to f...