April 4, 2008 6:23 AM

Come along on M's road trip

Posted by Geoff Baker

Ever wanted to be an MLB beat writer but couldn't find the time? Well, now you can stick to your day job and come along with me for the first Mariners road trip of the season. I made it in here to Baltimore last night after my connecting flight from Newark, NJ got delayed by some four hours (last time I checked). Anyway, I called an audible and flew to Washington-Dulles Airport in Virginia instead. It wound up being a 100-minute ride to Baltimore from there, but it sure beats sitting around an airport all afternoon and possibly all night. Never did hear why the airline had no plane for us. That's the reality of air travel today, right? As I say in the video: "This is the kind of stuff that doesn't show up in the stats sheets." Unfortunately, this is an all-too-common experience for us. I used to travel on the team plane back in 1998 when I covered the Blue Jays, but that stuff went out of style 10 years ago. Newspapers try not to depend on the teams for their travel arrangements if they can help it.

In total, a 12-hour trip, door-to-door. Right now, it's stopped raining, but more is in the forecast. The Orioles got rained out last night. I'm dreading what's ahead. You'll see on the video footage just how bad the rain was and is expected to be at points this weekend. This reminds me of what happened in Cleveland last year. It's not snowing, but I'm sure the M's will do all they can to get all four games in here. Could make for some long days and nights. But anyway, in this video, I try to show you what a trip out to the East Coast looks like, how we pack and prepare. Not like taking a family vacation. This is work. Stuff has to be done before and after the flights, which is the only reason you're seeing this and watching the video. Enjoy.

p.s. -- For those of you asking what was on TV, calm down. It was some type of advertising reality show where they were checking out fashion of some sort in a boardroom to decide what slogan to go with. Seriously, stick to talking about Richie Sexson...or my cab bill, if you want. It was a flat-rate fare BTW, so the added minutes didn't really matter. Good thing.

Posted by Jeff

6:42 AM, Apr 04, 2008

That was a neat post, thanks!

Posted by Earl of WA

6:45 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Sorry Geoff, no sympathy from me. I will be on a plane to India next week and will be in the air and in a lot more airports than you will be over the next month.

However, I am grateful for your blog because it will keep me updated on the Mariners while I am half way around the world.

Thank you.

Posted by M's fan back East

6:47 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Hey, Geoff, welcome to the East Coast!!! I'll actually be at the game on Monday, sitting somewhere in the Club seats my company has purchased and offered up. Looking forward to watching the M's beat the O's. I'm hoping I have my scheduling down, 'cuz according to my calcs it should be Felix on the mound.

I now get to see two M's games this year, since I'll be in Seattle in July and have tix to the game on the 4th.

Posted by win now

7:30 AM, Apr 04, 2008

What? Was that coach you were flying? A VIP like you, Geoff? At any rate, thanks for the post. Now onto more important matters. Just want to know how short that leash is on Sexson. He's got 7 games on the road w/the boo birds behind him. If he doesn't produce, he's coming back home to play against the Angels. You know he will be greeted by a wave of boos. It's not going to be pretty. Is 7 games too short a leash? He's our cleanup batter for crying out loud!

Posted by rossco

7:36 AM, Apr 04, 2008

welcome to the DC-Balt area, Geoff. i'm in silver spring, and heading up to the game on Sunday afternoon and can't wait to see my beloved team once again. i'll be sitting 3 seats up from the ball girl on the first base side (look for the 'Gar jersey). I tried to time it so see Bedard vs his old team, but there's rain today (as you know) and 80% chance for rain tomorrow, so i might end up seeing Washburn or Batista instead.

Posted by Babu

7:45 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Hi Geoff,

Welcome to rainy Charm City. Let's hope that we get the games in and that, despite the change in Baltimore's pitching schedule (owing to Thursday's rainout), Mike Morse gets at least one start. Like M's fan back East, I'll be at Monday's game, hoping to see Felix pitch. Because there are so many out-of-towners living/working/serving in the military in the Washington-Baltimore area, there is usually a pretty good crowd for whatever team is visiting, so let's make ourselves heard cheering for Seattle, M's fans!

During rain delays, if you take a wander through Camden Yard (worth it anyway), you'll find a photo of a very young Jamie Moyer in an Orioles uniform. You'll also find some excellent crab cakes and barbecue. Enjoy! Babu -- veteran of many rain delays in Baltimore

Posted by cjdahl60

7:52 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Geoff: I really enjoyed the video. I think most fans just think that the teams/sportswriters just magically appear from city to city.

If it wouldn't violate any protocol or impact your ability to do your job, could you do a similar type video of your pre or post game routine at the ballpark? This behind the scenes stuff is very interesting to see.

Thanks for the great blog.

Posted by Paul

7:52 AM, Apr 04, 2008

I'll be there too. Same logic here, rossco. I really want to see Bedard pitch. I saw him last year as an Oriole, but really want to see him now as an M. If they don't play today, I wouldn't be surprised to see Miggy skipped in the rotation unless they schedule a doubleheader....although I expect them to do that. They don't want these guys going TWO extra days between starts. Yesterday was already an off-day.

Posted by Former DC

8:07 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Heck, by the time you fly from Newark to Dulles, then drive back to Baltimore, you might as well just drive from Newark - or take the Amtrak Acela.

Posted by Tommyfoutball

8:28 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Airline travel is just a bus with wings.

Posted by wayupwaydown

8:29 AM, Apr 04, 2008

As a fellow travel warrior, your video just reminded me of what I go through every week. It was actually quite depressing to me.

But come on, you don't have enough status on the airline to get a free First Class upgrade? What's up with that? You do get to keep your Frequent Flyer miles don't you?

Posted by Chris

8:34 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Dude, what are you watching on TV?

Posted by astrosteven

8:59 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Man, 100 minute cab ride? How much did that cost?

Posted by joe

9:15 AM, Apr 04, 2008

After last years debacle in Clevland, you have to wonder what MLB was thinking when they scheduled these games.
"Hmmm we can have the Mariners play the Orioles in Baltimore, where the weather might be crappy and screw everything up, or we could have them play in Seattle, where they have a roof"

Posted by scottM

9:19 AM, Apr 04, 2008

"Dude, what are you watching on TV?"

lol. And we thought this was a family travelogue blog!

Posted by Weebs

9:21 AM, Apr 04, 2008

I really enjoyed that, Thanks Geoff.

Posted by Mariner in DC

9:22 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Geoff, thanks for the post. Its a good reminder that life is not necessarily a bowl of cherries for these teams and those associated with the teams as well! Especially for a geographically isolated team like Seattle.

Cheers to all the M's fans in the DC-Balto area heading up this weekend. I'm in College Park and I'll be going on Sunday, supposed to be beautiful day out at Camden! Go M's!

Posted by KirklandDawg

9:24 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Thanks for letting us ride along Geoff....and yea, how much did that 100 miler cost?

Posted by Anthony

9:24 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Hey, if you don't like the travel I'll JUMP at the chance to take over as M's beat writer.

Man! I can't wait to get my own baseball beat for some paper. I'd go through all that x 10 to do what you get to do Geoff.

Posted by seattlelawgirl

9:30 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Neat post, Geoff, thanks for giving us a glimpse into "a day in the life." Keep it coming.

winnow - I'm also interested in hearing peoples' thoughts about how long of a leash to give Sexson. I'm in favor of seeing how he does for at least 2-4 weeks...I love the guy, but if he continues to perform (or not, more accurately) like he did last season, I'm inclined to AT LEAST move him down in the rotation if not bench him. The money's spent - the focus now has to be on winning with the ingredients we've got. I cook/bake a lot, and if I buy the wrong thing, I'm not going to put it in anyways, knowing it will taste bad or ruin the dish, just because I've already paid for it.

So, how long do YOU give him, y'all?

Posted by Adam

9:36 AM, Apr 04, 2008

That was funny. Felt like I was watching the Travel channel or something.

Posted by Stan

9:52 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Thanks for the day in the life stuff. What cable tv package do you have? keep it coming. Keep us updated on the weather also. One day without baseball was tough. I don't know how I made it through the winter.

Posted by Buschleaguer

10:00 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Geoff,
What an Odyssey! Why is it that the beat writers stopped flying on the team charter?

I guess if you were critical of a player or the team in your column, it could make for an uncomfortable flight.....

Anyway, thanks for the neat "behind the scenes" look at your daily life. With the exception of the loooooong travel, dealing with irate posters on the blog, meeting deadlines, low pay (although I have no idea what you earn) and the like, you still have my dream job ;)

Keep up the great job! Its much appreciated by us fans.

-Mike

PS: Adam wrote above "Mr. X - I have responded to your latest posts in the previous thread. In short, you have a real credibility problem."
Do you really need to keep going from thread to thread to make sure nobody misses your consistently negative posts? Perhaps you two should get a room! J/K, always enjoy your debates - as flawed as they may be......

Posted by tallahassee-mariner's fan

10:06 AM, Apr 04, 2008

In all seriousness, a very cool video.

I will only be 4 hours from Tampa for the games next week, and desperately wish I could come down and watch the M's stomp the (Devil) Rays.

Posted by SDF Mariner

10:30 AM, Apr 04, 2008

That was great to see! It's so easy to be jealous of you for having the greatest job in the world (watching baseball and writing about baseball all day). It's nice to see you and the players all have to put up with some of the same crap the rest of us do.

Posted by Chris from Bothell

10:41 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Thanks for giving us a peek in on the grind. And it does look like a grind. Awful lot of dark rooms and dark drives.

One of these days I gotta peek in on other newspaper's sports blogs, to confirm my suspicion that you're indeed the hardest workin' newspaper blogger in baseball.

The scheduling notes from above intrigue me. If MLB is going to insist on starting the season at the end of March, wouldn't it make sense to juggle most teams' schedules so that they're at least a) in closed stadiums or b) in the south, for the first 2 weeks of the season? Yes, this gives an advantage to some teams but you can counterbalance that with later offdays and so on.

I'd love to get a peek at the software or process MLB uses to create the schedule each year.

Posted by eastcoast

10:50 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Back to baseball for one minute - how long will it take before Mac realizes that Cairo and Willie B are 2 individuals fulfilling the same role. It seems that another bullpen arm, or perhaps a LH versatile player who can play 1B and has a little pop in his bat (err... norton) would be much more useful.

Posted by Mike in DC

11:00 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Welcome to the East Coast Geoff! We have tickets to the games on Saturday and Sunday and will be right behind the M's dugout. Watching you make the drive from Dulles makes me dread our drive up from DC. Of course, it's worth it to see the M's in action! I'm looking forward to watching Bedard pitch against his old team on Sunday... kind of surprised by the lack of news on his return.

Saw you driving by the team's hotel in the video. Where are they staying? Or is that privileged? Just curious to know if they'll be at the same hotel we're checking into on Saturday morning.

I'm expecting big things from Richie. We were at the Baltimore games last year when he had a slight rebound in production. Fingers crossed...

Posted by Boy Howdy

11:10 AM, Apr 04, 2008

At least you didn't have a flight on ATA, Geoff...my reservation to Hawaii in May disappeared into thin air!

LET'S GO, M'S!!!

Posted by higbie

11:25 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Anyone heard about the Geoff Blum for Bloomquist rumor going around? This would be a huge addition to the team. Blum, known for him power and durability could bring that verteran leadership we have been looking for!

Posted by James from Walla Walla

11:44 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Nice behind the scenes! Enjoyed!

My take on the Sexson issue even prior to pre-season, was he would NOT bounce back. It
seems like Brett Boone all over again. I think
we all agree we got to get him out of the
"Clean Up Spot," till if ever his swing comes back.
Mac should consider a platoon at 1st with him.
Have Sexson hitting against lefties for awhile.
Use Morris and Vidro as part of the platoon. I
do not see the Mariners giving up on this guy
anytime soon, because of his salary. So, lets
make the best of the situation.

Another options might be to bring Norton or Lahair
up from Tacoma, letting Cario go down to AAA.

Ibanez needs a good bat behind him or he is going
to continue to suffer in the three spot. Suggest that he be moved to fourth with Johjima batting 5th.
Move Beltre up to the 3rd spot. I think we all see
the Mariners are struggling to score runs. We can not continue to count on the other teams errors to
give us runs.

Please Mac change this hitting line up!

Posted by oregongal

11:47 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Ugh, travel never sounds glamorous. Your video brought back bad memories. Going between cities, I once flew into a town and got to a conference an hour before my talk. Can't imagine trying to do that now.

I can't imagine the M's trading Willie. The dome would implode with a fan uprising.

Things could be worse. We could be Tigers' fans. Talk about a bad start.

Posted by shortbus

11:51 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Welcome to Baltimore, Geoff. Looks like the weather might miss us in which case I'll be at tonight's game...sitting just to the right (as you face the field) of the press box. I'll be the guy in the M's coat and hat, hollering for the M's plus whatever Adam Jones does.

P.S. You get better pr0n if you just pony up the $7.99. (Useless knowledge: the average movie in a hotel is viewed for 12.5 minutes This includes the few instances in which someone rents Lord of the Rings and watches the whole thing. You do the math.).

Posted by Nat

11:55 AM, Apr 04, 2008

Thanks, Geoff, for taking the time to give us a birds-eye-view of the life. I must say, all the travelling would definitely take its wear and tear on me. Twelve hours, bleh! It's a good thing you have something fun to look forward to at the end of the road.

Higbie, could you leave a link for where you read that? That would be great news-

Posted by Swung On And Belted

12:03 PM, Apr 04, 2008

Thanks for that fascinating video Geoff. You are cleary very dedicated, and the best beat writer we've ever had here. We are lucky to have you. You are living The Dream man.

Posted by scottM

12:10 PM, Apr 04, 2008

OregonGal, I could definitely see the M's trading Willie for a power bat off the bench, and without fan uproar.

Willie and Richie are both Washington natives, and quality human beings. Richie is proof that performance expectations trump "nice guy" popularity. In other words, Willie is popular, but not that popular.

I keep expecting word on a Baek/Reed trade, and now this. I also wonder what Bavasi is up to.

Posted by jmb13

12:22 PM, Apr 04, 2008

haha and they say it rains a lot in seattle!

Posted by scrapiron

12:22 PM, Apr 04, 2008

I know that free agents in the past have cited plane travel as one of the reasons they didn't want to sign with the Mariners. I remember a few years ago the Sonics used to lease Paul Allen's private jet.

You would think with Boeing in town that the owners of all 3 sports franchises could split the cost of a private plane for the sports teams to help. I'm sure a 747 would also have enough room for all the reporters to accompany them as well. Paul Allen could probably foot the bill himself if he had a confirmed long term lease with the Mariners and Sonics for usage.

Posted by oregongal

12:29 PM, Apr 04, 2008

scottM--Just thinking of offense...ahhhh.

Posted by Batter Up!!!

12:33 PM, Apr 04, 2008

BB would be wise to trade Willie or any bench player we have for a power hitter right now and be very thankful for the opportunity!

Sounds like false hope, but make my day.

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

12:35 PM, Apr 04, 2008

Faceplant-Adam's at least attempting to base his opinion on actual results, instead of just taking stabs in the dark.

Adam-I would believe anyone that refutes Ichiro took the place of Adam Jones in centerfield even after being shown proof in article links is stretching the truth just so they don't have to admit they were wrong. You did state Ichiro took Jeremy Reed's place right? If you did that is incorrect.

Posted by jherz13

12:35 PM, Apr 04, 2008

Great post Geoff!!!

However, no sympathy from me! Truthfully, I travel 6 days a week for 35 weeks a year during the last 2 years!!! Just in the last week, I've gone from DC to Seattle. Seattle to New York. New York to Baltimore. And Baltimore to Wisconsin. Now, in 6 hours I'll be flying home to Seattle!!!

Sure, I'm 24 without attachments like kids or a spouse, but I deserve an award!!! I've never EVER felt sorry for professional athletes and their travel schedule. They play a game they LOVE and the get paid much more than they deserve.

Traveling should never be a negative. Your mood controls the weather. Positive energy breeds positive energy. I always look at a long flight as an opportunity to read, meditate, sleep, type etc.

Your blog was great last year, but its even better this year...kinda like the Mariners!!! I like that your content and videos are not always just about the game/players, but instead you give us fans an all inclusive look at the team through your eyes. Keep up the good work!

Posted by NB

12:38 PM, Apr 04, 2008

Your mood controls the weather? Really? Well there goes all the science classes I ever took.

Posted by Adam

12:44 PM, Apr 04, 2008

Resin - I said Ichiro volunteered to play center after Reed was injured. I am aware that he didn't start in center until a couple of months after Reed was hurt. My point was that Ichiro agreed to the team's requests for the good of the team. Mr. X was claiming that Ichiro only went to center because he was coming up on a contract year.

You can read the article and choose for yourself.

Posted by Brazilian Fan

12:56 PM, Apr 04, 2008

Hey Paul.. I live in Salvador - Bahia. Welcome to my country!
It's uncommon find baseball fans up here.. We are a soccer-country. But (thanks to ESPN) the sport is expanding up here. I am true Mariner Fan since 1999 (even far far away) and already saw great and horrible teams, but I am very optimistic about this year. Maybe not to win it all, but to at least reach October. It become now a routine for me to read this blog during the games, and sometimes my breaks. It will be a nice winter (summer for you guys)

Posted by Brazilian Fan

1:13 PM, Apr 04, 2008

Hey Paul.. I live in Salvador - Bahia. Welcome to my country!

Posted by Brazilian Fan

1:25 PM, Apr 04, 2008

Hey Paul.. I live in Salvador - Bahia. Welcome to my country!

Posted by Brazilian Fan

1:27 PM, Apr 04, 2008

Hey Paul.. I live in Salvador - Bahia. Welcome to my country!

Posted by Brazilian Fan

1:32 PM, Apr 04, 2008

Hey Paul.. I live in Salvador - Bahia. Welcome to my country!

Posted by ET90210

2:24 PM, Apr 04, 2008

Voting on worst offseason trade/signing is down to 2!!

Posted by Mariner in DC

2:30 PM, Apr 04, 2008

It seems just from this forum that there will be more M's fans in Camden this weekend than Orioles fans... ole!

Posted by Faceplant

2:32 PM, Apr 04, 2008

"Do you really need to keep going from thread to thread to make sure nobody misses your consistently negative posts?"

It wouldn't be another day on the blog without someone occusing Adam (or any of the other statheads) of being "negative". Please, ANYTHING but negative!

Posted by Adam

2:37 PM, Apr 04, 2008

I'm still trying to figure out why an argument that Lopez isn't suited to be the 5 hitter is negativity.

Would I be negative if I dared say Ichiro isn't best suited to be a 5 hitter? Or that Willie shouldn't be playing everyday?

I suppose I could just start dancing in a field of lillies and compose a sonnet extolling the virtues of Lopez (he has had two good games and was once a stud prospect, after all) as a wonderful 5 hitter.

Posted by oregongal

2:48 PM, Apr 04, 2008

I'm still trying to figure out why my analyses in the rest of the world are seen as realistic, while any real analysis here is often labeled pessimistic (which equals bad, just a notch short of evil). I enjoy the different outlooks, just not the emotional broadsides that go with some of them.

Posted by D Truth

2:50 PM, Apr 04, 2008

Lopez is best suited for the 2-hole. He did well there two years ago, and then Hargrove started moving him around and Lopez changed his whole approach.

He's doing well in the 2-hole again, so just leave him there. But please, by all means, move Sexson out of the clean up spot and Johjima out from behind the Jokerson-Turbo 2-out combo.

Go with this:

L Ichiro
R Lopez
R Beltre
L Ibanez
R Sexson
R Johjima
L Wilkerson
L Vidro
R Betancourt

Look at that L-R-L combo. You listening Mac?

Posted by Faceplant

2:54 PM, Apr 04, 2008

"Facey the same thing you criticized me doing to Adam, you have done by calling my scouting observations as "a magic lamp" and "stabs in the dark." As I stated before, with you saberheads there's no gray area, if it's not an accepted statistic we are referencing to base our opinions, it's invalid. Faceplant is proof of the mentality that exists among saberheads today."

No, you just completely missed the point as usual. We aren't dumb. We see the same improvements that everyone else does. But here is how a typical discussion goes with you.

You) Statheads are satans spawn. Lopez would be perfect for the 5 hole if he continues to hit the way he's hit for three days.

Satans spawn) Well, Lopez has never shown the ability to keep up these improvements, and historically has not succeeded at fulfilling his potential.

You) You are just closed minded!

Satans Spawn) Well of course he would be a valuable number 5 hitter if he kept up the improvements he's shown over the last three games. But where is the evidence that these improvements are for real, and not just an aberration?

You) You never see any gray areas, it's all black and white with you stathead baby killers!

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

2:56 PM, Apr 04, 2008

Jim Caple article

Jim Caple of ESPN was very critical of Ichiro initial refusal to move to center field. In fact, in the article Mr.X linked to you it pretty much stated Hargrove waited for Ichiro to make up his mind, that it was his call. In my opinion I agree with Mr. X and Jim Caple on questioning Ichiro's leadership and selfishness. I also am not naive enough to believe the move wasn't for contract financial reasons. There are plenty of articles on Google that point to Ichiro's desire for more "self recognition" and playing for a contending team.

Caple writes: You were the leader on the Japanese team that won the World Baseball Classic last year, and Seattle fans hoped that leadership would spill over to the regular season with the Mariners. Unfortunately, it did not. When Jeremy Reed broke his wrist and the Mariners needed a center fielder, a leader would have immediately stepped up and said, "I'll move to center." Instead you made the Mariners dance around the issue for weeks, auditioning players who didn't belong there yet until you finally agreed to the position switch.

Posted by K-Man

2:59 PM, Apr 04, 2008

C'mon kids, play nice now...

Posted by Nat

3:09 PM, Apr 04, 2008

I have to agree that Adam bears the brunt of a few who view a specific, straightforward mariner's critique as something negative - interpreting anything and everything he says as a negative.

Mr.X and whoever else- why don't you just take Adam's comments at face value, something to consider or not? You seem to react to every post he makes. Can you not allow for others' POV?

Posted by Mike

3:10 PM, Apr 04, 2008

So Ichiro is selfish for moving to centerfield and also selfish for not moving to centerfield sooner?

Look, he might be selfish. But I don't know and neither do any of us. During the whole move debate I had wished he would offer to move to CF but the only time I've been disappointed in Ichiro is a couple of bunts with two outs and a guy on second. That's over how many years of playing here? If that proves his selfishness, so be it.

But in the scheme of Mariner-issues, Ichiro's alleged selfishness is pretty low on the list.

Posted by Basker

3:12 PM, Apr 04, 2008

Thanks Geoff,

Awesome video and a solid article as always.

Posted by thatgirl

3:19 PM, Apr 04, 2008

D-Truth: "Jokerson-Turbo-2 out combo"... lol !

I hope there's room in the blog for both sides - stat people and non-stat people (like me).

Stats or no stats, my opinion is to leave Lopez in the 2 spot.

Posted by higbie

3:20 PM, Apr 04, 2008

i guess it's better than Conway.

Posted by Alaskan

3:22 PM, Apr 04, 2008

D Truth,

I like your lineup. We should have another option than batting Ibanez 4th against lefties, though. Oh, and Sexson shouldn't be in it. But if he has to be, I think your spot (5th) is pretty good. I was thinking, given Vidro's decent avg, that maybe he should be higher, but actually this gives Yuni a good opportunity to work his (seeming) talent for hitting when it counts.

Posted by jestingone

3:23 PM, Apr 04, 2008

seriously,

"lopez is best suited for the 2 hole"

you can't write anything better than that.

I know, very dumb and dumber, but funny.

Posted by jon

3:26 PM, Apr 04, 2008

D-Truth,

Mac is not listening to you, he is listening to his 3rd baseman. Beltre told him, and it is widely reported, that he does NOT want to bat after a lefty. He wants to his after a right handed batter and comfort is more important than L-R-L aspect.

Jon

Posted by D Truth

3:29 PM, Apr 04, 2008

So what's wrong with hitting third behind Lopez, who's right handed?

Posted by Babu

3:30 PM, Apr 04, 2008

For Mariner in DC who writes that there may be more Seattle fans than Baltimore fans at Camden Yards this weekend, it is sad but true. While I'm not wild about Seattle's leadership,you haven't met bad leadership until you've dealt with the Orioles owner. He has managed to empty a gorgeous stadium in a town with a long, proud baseball tradition and loyal fans. Now that takes a level of talent Seattle's bosses haven't begun to tap.

Go Ms!

Posted by jestingone

3:32 PM, Apr 04, 2008

"He's doing well in the 2-hole again, so just leave him there. But please, by all means, move Sexson out of the clean up spot"

If read from a double entendre position this is a gas.

Love the Blog and reading it with alternative symbolism albeit enabled by myself and not of the author is a hoot.

Oh, and I have done some research and at one time we had the all Priapus symbol team

Bone
A-Rod
and the Big Unit

Posted by Mike

3:32 PM, Apr 04, 2008

Jon---That makes no sense to me (which doesn't automatically make it untrue) but I haven't ever read that. What is your source?

Posted by Chris from Bothell

3:41 PM, Apr 04, 2008

Please, please let there be a game today. i can't imagine how much further some of the conversation will degenerate in here w/o some actual baseball to talk about.

Also, object lesson: The standings today have the Tigers (mighty offense) in last place in the central at 0-4 and the Royals (mighty offensive) in first place in the central at 3-0. And the nationals are 3 and 1. So, I say as much to remind myself as others, it's still early.

Posted by D Truth

3:49 PM, Apr 04, 2008

And, I'm sorry ... who made Beltre the manager? His job is to drive in runs with runners in scoring position, and to make the plays on defense.

The problem with this team ... and it's been widley reported and rightfully criticized ... is that the players are given too much priviledge and do not hold themselves accountable. Neither does the front office or the manager.

When fans booed Sexson last season, instead of being a stand-up guy about, he blames the fans for putting too much pressure on him. And Mac jumps right on board and defends him.

It's understandable that fans booing Sexson is not making the situation better, but fans have a right to be frustrated. They may not even be booing Richie, but Mac for leaving him in there, or Bavasi for signing him in the first place.

Heck, fans even booed when they announced Bavasi's name during the Edgar Martinez Mariners Hall of Fame cerimony last summer. Does that make Mariner fans bad people? I don't think so. You've got to be held accountable for your failures. Be stand-up about it, and move on instead of making excuses.

I was there Tuesday night when Sexson came up with the bases loaded in a tie ball game. The whole stadium was pulling for the guy, and he strikes out for the third time in the game. At that point, how could you not boo?

When you knew Lopez bunting the runners over to second and third base was going to prompt the Rangers to walk Ibanez to get to Sexson? It was a bad decision.

But, the Mariners lucked out when a wild pitch brought Yuni in for the leading run. First base is open again, so the Rangers give Beltre nothing to hit and go after Wilkerson.

Wilkerson backs away from a pitch he could have easily taken off the shoulder to bring in another run. Instead, he pops out weakly to the first base man. He can't hit, and he can't take one for the team. What a joke!

You're telling me Beltre is "uncomfortable" hitting in the 3-hole behind Lopez, or behind Ibanez in the clean up spot? That he thinks Wilkerson is going to give him enough protection to drive in runs with first base open?

You've got to be kidding me!

Posted by D Truth

4:14 PM, Apr 04, 2008

"lopez is best suited for the 2 hole"

you can't write anything better than that.

I know, very dumb and dumber, but funny.
________________________________________

Well, you're in luck. There's a town about two miles up the road. I'm sure someone else could answer that question more throughly ...

I guess Mac can go back to hitting Beltre second because that's where he feels most "comfortable." Being forced to hit the other way, instead of having to pull everything.

Maybe you liked Vidro hitting second? Maybe they should give Betancourt or Johjima a try in the 2-hole? And, of course, there's always Willie Bloomquist who believes he deserves regular at-bats.

Meanwhile, Lopez has a home run and 5 RBI to his credit. Better than Ibanez, Sexson, Beltre and Wilkerson so far.

Still don't agree with me? Well then ...

You'll have to excuse my friend. He's a little slow. The town is back that way.

Posted by Larry

10:47 AM, Apr 06, 2008

I read a lot of baseball blogs from the papers and that was really innovative. I'm looking forward to seeing behind the scenes to the ballparks in New York.

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-19