April 2, 2008 6:50 PM

Adrian Beltre 3B

Brad Wilkerson RF

Jose Vidro DH

Kenji Johjima C

Yuniesky Betancourt SS

Carlos Silva P

The big mystery today will be who gets the ball in the ninth if the Mariners have a lead. I'm going to guess Sean Green, because O'Flaherty and Lowe have both worked twice already, and it would probably be unwise to go three days in a row this early. Lowe said he told Mel Stottlemyre he could go -- he threw just nine total pitches in those games -- but Stottlemyre told him it was too early to push it.

So that leaves Green or a darkhorse, Miguel Batista. Batista saved 31 games for Toronto in 2005, and tonight is his day to throw in the bullpen anyway. When McLaren was asked about the possibility of using Batista, he laughed and said, "You know what? We have the staff. We're ready.''

I took that to mean it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I'm not sure why Corcoran got the call rather than R.A. Dickey. Never got a chance to ask McLaren.

I'll probably be light on in-game updates again tonight. I've got to write up the Putz story for the newspaper and then start working on the game story. Don't worry, Geoff returns on Friday for the road trip.

Have fun, and keep the light on for me.

Posted by Babu

7:28 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Baltimore final:

AJ got two hits, one RBI; George Sherrill got the save (two Ks, two Ws)

Posted by Nat

7:32 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Angels over twinkies 7-4. Let's go, Mariners!

Posted by helpFelix

7:32 PM, Apr 02, 2008

And the Mariners yet leave 2 LOB again in the 1st.

And Saunders pitched a JEM for the Angels damit!

Posted by Mariner in DC

7:39 PM, Apr 02, 2008

yay Jose! M's first homer of the season!

Posted by Babu

7:43 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Wow! A stolen base yesterday and a dinger today for Vidro??

Posted by Chopper58

7:47 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Silva is looking good so far, 3 solid innings

Posted by kranky

7:53 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Why isn't Morse starting this game?

Posted by helpFelix

7:55 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Angels 1-0 over the Twinkies

Saunders pitched an 8 inning 80 PC gem! OUCH!

Posted by Mariner in DC

8:03 PM, Apr 02, 2008

the Carlos train chugs along! let's get some runs!

Posted by Babu

8:05 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Kranky,

Isn't Morse meant to be platooning against lefties? And isn't the Texas pitcher a righty?

Posted by helpFelix

8:09 PM, Apr 02, 2008

I've ALREADY have had ENOUGH with all this Sexson AND Wilkerson BULLSHT!!!

I'm ready for Wlad in RF, and platooning Ibanez w/Sexson @ 1B...then grabbing Griffey LF/RF.

We DESPERATELY need more offense. Our pitching is stellar, but we have some MAJOR offensive issues to deal with SOON!!!

Posted by Kyle in Kentucky

8:13 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Yes, Morse is supposed to be platooning against lefties. But how long until we just give him some at-bats regardless of who's pitching. Has Wilkerson hit two balls hard so far yet this year? (I know he had a deep fly ball the other night.) And as far as tonight's game goes...let's please give our pitcher some insurance.

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

8:26 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Geoff, still not impressed with Lopez approach at the plate yet??? Lol.

Posted by Nat

8:29 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Thank you both Joses for paying attention to our pleas for some runs tonight!!!

Posted by kranky

8:30 PM, Apr 02, 2008

The platoon thing is bunk! Wilkerson hits lefties better than righties; Morse hits either better than Wilkerson. McLaren is following Lou's dubious lead in playing predictable veterans who are mediocre instead of unpredictable young guys with big upsides.

Posted by helpFelix

8:54 PM, Apr 02, 2008

I know it's only 2 games, but Sexson just outright looks AWFUL at the plate!

THIS HAS GOT TO FLIPPIN STOP! Wilkerson looks NO BETTER!

I am so tired of these high SO guys. Next offseason I have been interested in Seattle picking up Dunn, but I am SO SICK of guys like Sexson/Wilkerson whiffing at the plate I don't think I could handle signing another high SO guy like Dunn to a longterm contract?! Ok when I stop and think about his 48 HR potential as a LHB...it's still tempting...but the temptation easily subsides watching the Sexson/Wilkerson duo in our lineup.

Posted by PRchef

8:56 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Nice going Jose, and of course Jose

Wait... a homer each? If only this was the beginning of something that will last.

GO Ms!

Posted by phoenix fan

8:57 PM, Apr 02, 2008

It's only the third game and I already can't take Sims and Blowers...

Posted by Nick

9:00 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Silva sure pitched a heck of a game! Only one mistake.. and 7 very strong innings! I'm impressed with our starters so far.. I know it's early.. but still.. we couldn't have hoped for much better, especially with Texas having an okay lineup.

Posted by Robbob

9:03 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Larry, I would love to know how it could be that there was never one moment in the entire opening home series that Mac could see an opportunity to give Mike Morse, the hottest bat in spring training, a swing.
What is the plan here, something doesn't smell right. Wilkerson had a terrible series.

Posted by Batter Up!!!

9:04 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Nice work by Carlos Silva!

Sims is annoying!

Go M's

Posted by helpFelix

9:11 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Geoff - I have a question...

Why wasn't Dickey recall today, instead of Concoran??!!

I'm Shocked! I don't understand?!

Posted by diablo

9:11 PM, Apr 02, 2008

2 inning save for Greenie coming up.

Posted by Chopper58

9:21 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Sexson can't even hit his weight in kilograms. Please Mariners, get rid of him.

Posted by diablo

9:21 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Nope.....I hope Batista finishes the job.

Posted by NB

9:23 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Rowland-Smith please.

Posted by jim

9:34 PM, Apr 02, 2008

AJ would have had that one.

Posted by oregongal

9:54 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Thanks for the updates on the guys, Babu (and even though I want to keep tabs on them, I'm still thrilled watching Bedard.)

Thank you, Lopez. I knew you had it in you. Keep it up.

I love Silva's pace. There aren't that many fast workers anymore. We've got him and Washburn. Of course, Silva can go 7. Hooray!

Agree with the irritation around Sims.

Yay for the offense actually earning runs tonight instead of having Texas hand them out.

Thanks, Batista. May his throw days continue to intersect with opportunities.

Posted by Nat

10:01 PM, Apr 02, 2008

One series in the win column - exactly the way we like it! Good for Carlos...

That is the coolest thing that Sherrill got his first save and I bet JJ was the first person to call him to congratulate him!

Posted by joe

10:05 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Since the M's have depth at SP, maybe they could slide Batista to the closer role for now and move Baek or Dickey into the rotation. Problem solved!

Posted by Get Griffey

10:06 PM, Apr 02, 2008

helpFelix- at 8:09
"Help us maintain civil and mature comment threads"..... buy NOT swearing!

Posted by Chris from Bothell

10:22 PM, Apr 02, 2008

Huzzah for the Jose power duo, sick of Sims too, need to see Richie and WIlkerson get hot on this road trip or get benched for the Angels series, perfect job by Silva (just what the Ms (over)paid for), Batista in the 9th was weird but effective, like the idea of Batista as everyday guy and Baek as 5th while we still have a relatively creampuff schedule in April, wish we didn't have an offday so soon in the season but it's better than the marathon roadtrips of last year, good night.

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-19