March 19, 2008 10:09 PM

M's win 7-4

Posted by Geoff Baker

morrow 023.jpg

A look at the Mariners congratulating themselves after a 7-4 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks in front of 12,711 fans, the sixth-largest crowd in Peoria Stadium history. Just ran into a couple of fans who attended our Seattle Times Mariners Blog Event back in February. Very cool. Could only talk for a few moments before we had to charge down on to the field to interview John McLaren.

By the way, the M's just reassigned left handed pitcher Philip Barzilla and infielder Matt Tuiasosopo of Woodinville to minor league camp. Nothing surprising there.

For me, the best that could be said about this game was the relief pitching by Seattle. Ryan Rowland-Smith tossed 2 1/3 innings of scoreless ball, allowing two hits (one an infield single) and two walks while fanning three. Sean Green also went a scoreless 2 1/3 innings, coming in with the bases juiced in the sixth and getting Conor Jackson to ground into a fielder's choice force out at third.

"We brought him in with the bases loaded just to give him a different look for the first time this spring,'' McLaren said.

morrow 024.jpg

Green then got Stephen Drew to ground into an inning-ending double play in the seventh.

J.J. Putz was his usual dominant self in the ninth, setting the D-Backs down 1-2-3.

McLaren said he thought some of his players had difficulties adjusting to their first night game of the season. He added that a few well-hit balls, including one by Charlton Jimerson, normally would have left the ballpark during the daytime.

He liked what he saw from Jose Lopez in the No. 2 spot tonight as well. Lopez went 1-for-2 with an RBI double and a walk.

"I hope so,'' he said. "He's maturing as a player. We're going to look at him there a little bit. Like I said, we're going to run some different lineups. But we'll run this one for a while, see how it looks. Then I'll read some of you, see how you critique it and go from there.''

That latter part was a joke.

McLaren wants to see starting pitchers go deeper than Washburn did tonight. The 3 1/3-inning stint, punctuated by a long first inning, was reminiscent of too many nights last year when a bad early inning doomed the rest of the night.

Hear what McLaren said about it right here.

And now, I've got to run. It's been a very long day. The traffic outside is finally subsiding a bit. Time to head off into the night. Tomorrow morning, I'll have a Sights and Sounds video of Brandon Morrow's bullpen session for you.

morrow 030.jpg

Posted by Get Griffey

11:10 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Roger That- "He's among the WORST in the AL. That qualifies for "suck"."

In case you missed my point I was not talking about power hitting, just hitting in general.

OK, now
What stats are you looking at because MLB.com says he was 4th in OBP with .381(not a worthless stat) and 2nd in (the apparently worthless stat) AVG with .314. Now if you mean power hay I totally agree he “sucks” at hitting for power and I think we DO need more power out of the DH, but ALL I was saying was that as a hitter IN GENERAL he did not “suck”.

So chill dude

All stats are from MLB.com and their player comparisons charts.

PS. Just to make my position completely clear, I am not saying I want Vidro as our DH this year, if someone has more power I say bring them in (Griffey anyone??^_^)

Posted by NB

11:16 PM, Mar 19, 2008

Vidro sucks.

Posted by Zorro

8:38 AM, Mar 20, 2008

Vidro is a liability at first base. I'd rather see Grimace out there:

Posted by AKMarinersFan

8:54 AM, Mar 20, 2008

Maybe we could use Cairo as the DH. He has shown as much power as Vidro and he is just as bad defensively. Bavasi thinks of everything.

Posted by scottM

9:11 AM, Mar 20, 2008

GEOFF, great feature article on Lt. Nick Hill, LHP!

Love to see something this indepth on the new starters for the Big Team. The LHP angle could be a theme.

Posted by scrapiron

9:12 AM, Mar 20, 2008

FSN Mariners Insider was reporting two days ago this on the bullpen:

DEFINATELY IN
Putz
Morrow
O'Flaherty

INSIDE TRACK
Rhodes
Reitsma
Lowe
Dickey

All others they considered longshots.

What's interesting is that I don't know if Reitsma, Lowe and Rhodes will all be ready when the season starts. Also, they are considering Green a longshot at this time. I would think he'd be definately in. Maybe he's in if one of the rehab-3 isn't ready?

Posted by scrapiron

9:17 AM, Mar 20, 2008

Peter Gammons mentioned the Mariners in his latest ESPN blog, here it is:

"The one place that seemed to make sense for Barry Bonds is Seattle, especially if Richie Sexson struggles and they can move Jose Vidro to first base. But indications are that if Sexson doesn't bounce back -- and Sexson's convinced he will -- then Vidro indeed will go to first, but Jeff Clement would get the first shot at being the DH. "
-Peter Gammons

Jose Vidro as full-time first baseman? I dunno.

Posted by jujay

9:25 AM, Mar 20, 2008

Yeah, I dont see how Reitsma can start on the 25 man roster.... he hasn't shown a thing. and I know Dickey is probably in, but Baek has to be getting good consideration as another long or mid reliever with the spring he has put together so far

Posted by Ziasudra

9:25 AM, Mar 20, 2008

I doubt if Peter Gammons has even read an M's box score, much less seen any games. His opinion is worth less than what I paid him for it.

Posted by Get Griffey

9:35 AM, Mar 20, 2008

scrapiron- Yea I'm not really looking forward to seeing Vidro on the field permanently in any position either.

Hope they let Morse try to be an everyday player if someone (sexon, wilkerson, ibanez, vidro ) starts to slip.

Posted by scrapiron

9:45 AM, Mar 20, 2008

Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the San Diego Padres have shown interest in trading for Jeremy Reed. No word on what they'd be willing to give up.

Posted by scrapiron

9:49 AM, Mar 20, 2008

Jujay - Yeah, I don't know what they are going to do with Baek. He's been very good in spring training, and is out of options. With so many teams in need of pitching you'd think the Mariners would be able to work out a trade and get something for him.

I like Dickey, but I don't know if he's quite ready. I wonder if they could work out a deal with the Rangers to buy his contract rather than return him to them via Rule 5. Then would could send Dickey to AAA for a little more work and make Baek our long reliever.

Posted by byronebyronian

9:52 AM, Mar 20, 2008

Vidro played first last year and looked fine. I'd rather that he play first vs. other IF spots if the team is so insistent on keeping him.

If there is anybody I have to say I dunno about is Sexson.

Posted by byronebyronian

9:53 AM, Mar 20, 2008

If it's a tossup between Baek and Dickey, we should keep Dickey.

Posted by Zorro

10:04 AM, Mar 20, 2008

scrapiron - Dickey would be offered back to the Twins for $25k not the Rangers if he were cut. Just a hunch but I'm guessing they would take him after the way he has pitched so far.

Posted by Zorro

10:14 AM, Mar 20, 2008

*correction: brew crew

Posted by Chris from Bothell

10:17 AM, Mar 20, 2008

scrap - Whoa, really? What doesn't look ready about Dickey? Perhaps I'm buying into the hype, but by all accounts he looked like the flutterball was workin', the arm was naturally weird enough to let him pitch every day, Joh was ok catching him, etc. He's exactly the sort of 1-2 weirdness punch we need as a bridge to the 8th or 9th (imagine going from Erik or Felix to slower and stranger, and then right back to power with JJ...).

Posted by byronebyronian

10:17 AM, Mar 20, 2008

Zorro, he'd be given to the Twins if I am not wrong as he pitched last year for the Brewers AAA team and became a minor league free agent. The Twins signed him but did not add him to their 40 man.

Posted by Chris from Bothell

10:18 AM, Mar 20, 2008

Peter Gammons is an excellent broadcaster, and works well at the high-level analysis on ESPN when the facts have already been laid out by others, but his info on his own articles always seems about 2 weeks out of date. I ignore him.

Posted by Zorro

10:32 AM, Mar 20, 2008

byronebyronian- you're probably right, I'm a little flustered here trying to toggle between NCAA games and keeping my mouse pointed right at that boss button!

But I think it's all moot anyways, Dickey isn't going anywhere.

Posted by scrapiron

11:09 AM, Mar 20, 2008

It's really splitting hairs, it's not that Dickey isn't ready, it's just that Baek is more ready. Baek has a lower ST ERA and WHIP while walking only one batter, and Dickey has walked 3. If both pitchers are equal, I'll take Baek's control over a knuckleball pitcher that is guaranteed to walk some batters just by the nature of the pitch.

Since you are going to lose one of them no matter what, I was thinking that maybe they could work out a deal with the Twins to buy his contract so they could send him to Tacoma and call him up soon. Baek has no options but to keep or release him. I'm just trying to figure out a way to keep both with pitching at such a premium.

Posted by byronebyronian

12:59 PM, Mar 20, 2008

Yes but Dickey gives hitters a different look with that knuckler. So he's walked 3? He isn't giving up the hits to get those runners home, so that's a moot point as well.

I like Baek, but I think Dickey offers us something we do not have which is a rubber armed long reliever who can pitch almost daily AND keep hitters off balance.

Baek is a career starter who we HOPE can make the transition to a long man. Sorry, I'll take the rubber armed guy over the unknown any day.

Posted by byronebyronian

1:01 PM, Mar 20, 2008

I might also add that Baek is injury prone where Dickey is durable.

I want the team to KEEP Baek so we can deal him later.

Posted by Bucs59

4:14 PM, Mar 20, 2008

The thing Im most confused about is how people seem to be so down on Raul. Some comments on here have made it sound like he had a bad year like Richie. Raul has driven in over a hundred runs for us the last two years. Some people need to stop being so critical.

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-19