March 14, 2008 1:04 PM

Rockies at Mariners: Game thread

Posted by Geoff Baker

bigisland08 023.jpg

It's 79 degrees and sunny out. Hear it's raining in Seattle. Sorry...no, not really.

Rockies vs. Mariners

Other Pitchers:
31 Ryan Feierabend LHP
38 Jon Huber RHP
49 Jake Woods LHP
62 Cesar Jimenez LHP

stopscrolling 005.jpg

3:58 p.m. The Mariners were slapping hands and walking off the field moments ago, their 9-4 victory over the Colorado Rockies completed. This one was over with early. I'll have some Sights and Sounds for you momentarily as well as some post-game summations.

stopscrolling 001.jpg

3:40 p.m.: Who is that in the photo above? Why it's one of you. None other than M's Fan in CO Exile, one of the guys who loves to argue with me on this site. He's a lawyer named Mark Rohlena, down here from his home in Colorado, with his wife, Danielle, daughter Isabelle and son, Kieran, all pictured. Also down here at the game with them, his mother-in-law and some other family members. They've basically bought up the entire grass berm beyond the left field wall. Nice to meet them and watch some of the game out in the sun. Well, maybe not too much of the game. We were talking most of the time.

By the way, it's still a 9-4 game heading into the ninth. The Rockies scored a pair in the seventh off Ryan Feierabend. Ichiro's homer today is his first springtime blast since March 29, 2003.

"I knew that I hadn't hit one in a long while,'' he told us in the clubhouse, moments ago. "I don't know specific numbers.''

Then he quipped: "I was so worried about it, I didn't get any sleep.''

stopscrolling.jpg

2:39 p.m.: Rockies got a run back in the fifth on a double by Marcus Giles and a single by Joe Koshansky to make it a 9-2 game. Miguel Batista is now through five.

2:22 p.m.:
You can see the first part of the Edgar Martinez chat down below. Once the pleasantries were done, I asked him about Shane Monahan and his comments from this winter about drug use on the M's squads of the late 1990s. Martinez said what I thought he would, but it's good to get everyone on the record about this stuff for future possible use. Some other reporters added questions later on. Yuniesky Betancourt made a great backhanded pick and throw to first in the fourth inning, another 1-2-3 frame by Batista, who has retired 11 in a row.

2:15 p.m.: Seattle just put up a five-spot in the third to go ahead 9-1. Ichiro just knocked Franklin Morales from the game after 2 2/3 frames, tagging him for a two-run homer to right on a 3-1 pitch. Ichiro also lined a single to right in the second inning, so I guess we can cease all talk about his hitting (finally!). Adrian Beltre also went deep in the inning. A two-base error by right fielder Jeff Baker (I'd have had that one) on a misplayed Brad Wilkerson flyball helped open the floodgates. Greg Norton drove in another marker on a single. We're finally through three innings in a game dragging along, especially for Rockies fans.

1:58 p.m.: Look who dropped by the pressbox for a quick chat. Edgar Martinez is only down here for a day ot two, doing some promotional work for FSN. Here's some of that explanation. Now eight in a row retired by Miguel Batista after a 1-2-3 third in which he got a broken bat groundout, struck out Scott Podsednik and got Troy Tulowitzki to pop out foul to Richie Sexson at first base. Still a 4-1 game.

bigisland08 026.jpg

1:40 p.m.: A perfect second inning for Miguel Batista, getting Marcus Giles to go down swinging, catching Joe Koshansky looking at a third strike and then shattering Cory Sullivan's bat. Much better frame than in the first. Then again, the hitters weren't as good. For Merrrill, in the comments thread, I'm actually jealous of you. Was supposed to go to Bangkok and then Phuket in late-January, but we had to alter our plans. Was there in 2004, got Tsunamied out in 2005 and still have yet to get back. Maybe next year.

1:32 p.m.: Mariners made the most of their chances in that inning after Ichiro popped out to second, making him 1-for-26 this spring. Yuniesky Betancourt, Raul Ibanez and Adrian Beltre all stroked singles off Rockies starter Franklin Morales. Bertancourt scored on the Beltre liner to left that tied the game. Brad Wilkerson was called out on strikes and wasn't happy about it. A passed ball advanced the runners to second and third, prompting Morales to walk Richie Sexson to load 'em up. Greg Norton stepped in next and bettered his chances of making the squad by lining a pitch into left for a two-run single. Kenji Johjima singled home another marker as all nine Mariners came to bat in the inning. Now 4-1 for the Mariners, courtesy of their four-run first.

1:17 p.m.: Miguel Batista already trails 1-0 heading into the bottom of the first. He yielded a leadoff single to Scott Podsednik, watched him take second on a stolen base after the ball got by catcher Kenji Johjima, advance to third on a groundout, then score on a Jeff Baker sacrifice fly. Yes, the other Baker.

Posted by Ben

1:26 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Hmm... i wonder if Podsednik is going to A) make the rockies' team; and B) bounce back...

Anyone reading up about that guy? Another "promising" mariner minor leaguer...

*Sorry if this is a repeat post - i'm getting those strange errors from the site again*

Posted by James from Walla Walla

1:30 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Geoff,

Your photos and comments continue to be great.
It has been a totally different ST this year
for me. You and your fellow bloggers have
given me a much different take on the whole experience.
Thanks guys and gals!!

To my way of viewing ST so far is that Morse
is a lock. That is a given! I mentioned in
an earlier blog that for the over all benefit
of the team, Vidro should be let go or traded. Vidro is a good switch hitter but we need more pop and RBI's out of the DH position. Enter Ibanez as the DH spot. I know this means the Mariners have to eat all or part of Vidro's salary. But, this allows for another OF spot
to improve the over all defense. Morse, Ichiro,
& Wilkerson would be the starting outfield. Jeremy Reed could then be the fourth
outfielder. He can play all positions and platoon against tough righthanders. The talk
of releasing Reed worries me. Reed is having
a great ST, hitting .462 with some clutch hits
& a HR.

Vidro hitting .227 and is dealing with injuries!

Merrill, Adam, OregonGal, your thoughts on this?

Posted by AKMarinersFan

1:39 PM, Mar 14, 2008

He intentionally walked Sexson - why would anyone do that?

Posted by Merrill

1:39 PM, Mar 14, 2008

James, I actually like your prescription except for two things: As many have said here before, a healthy Vidro is the ideal PH: a high-average, switch-hitting, line-drive, vet guy who has the best chance of coping with the reduced at-bats and still being effective in the clutch.

Second, Reed still has an option remaining, so he would be sent down to AAA, and scrapiron, this is where I disagree with you, although I think you're right about the defense (thus Jimerson over Cairo, in my thinking): I think Reed needs to play every day to get his confidence back. Jimerson's never going to be a good/great hitter, while Reed possibly could still become one.

I'm not exactly on the scene or anything, but my sense from observing the last few years is that Reed kicked arse through AAA and was the next big thing in RF, to take over for Ichiro in CF, before he got his confidence destroyed in The Show. Apparently the Powers That Be still think he has a chance to pull his head out, hitting-wise.

All guesswork, of course, but my sense is, he should be hitting every day, whereas Morse can handle a reserve role, now, which is how guys usually break in. I think next year is Reed's last chance, and he's very likely, next spring, to be where Morse is now--and able to handle the fourth OF/defensive replacement role.

Given the variables going into next season and this management team's proven old-vet bias, not to mention Reed's performance this season in AAA, that is highly, highly speculative, but I'm hoping that's the case.

Also, James, ad perhaps Ben, I think you've likely gotten the idea: There's a weird new "error" message after you submit. But if you copy, save, reload, submit, then get the weird error message, just go back to the blog page, then reload; your post will be there.

O, and James, I sure hope your "injuries" comment in plural isn't true--I know he's got that elbow twinge, but let's just see what happens. I think only two of the "Old" Injured Four need to be healthy all year for the M's to get to the playoffs, but I also think they've got to be more willing to pull the trigger than last year.

Great pic, Geoff (it's summer-like weather here in Bangkok, by the way...)

Posted by Merrill

1:43 PM, Mar 14, 2008

By the way, ScottM, my "ditto" comment was directed at the contents of your post, not to mean that my comments just prior to it were meant to apply to you, as well as the person I was addressing.

Sorry if that was an issue.

Geoff, finally got your "Jeff Baker" comment from the last thread...

Posted by Get Griffey

1:47 PM, Mar 14, 2008

James from Walla Walla
That will probably not happen but here is something that might.

Vedro hits poorly during the season, or is injured (which could happen).

This forces us to move Ibanez to DH and Morse to LF. If Morse hits well he would be left in even if Vedro get better later in the year.

Posted by Get Griffey

1:48 PM, Mar 14, 2008

James from Walla Walla
That will probably not happen but here is something that might.

Vedro hits poorly during the season, or is injured (which could happen).

Posted by Get Griffey

1:49 PM, Mar 14, 2008

HAAAA!! Double post

Posted by HappyFan

1:54 PM, Mar 14, 2008

A bit off topic.....

Hopefully a year from now Morse will be able to assume the role of first base. If he continues to develop a power stroke he should at least be considered.

That said, Reeder can work his way into RF next year when Wilkerson leaves (if he leaves). Then both of these guys, who are pretty deserving, will be in the majors for good.

Posted by scrapiron

2:01 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Merrill, you need to update your references. Reed had a poor 2006 season at AAA, where he lost his confidence. In 2007 Reed bounced back as he hit .300 at Tacoma and led the PCL in hits with 169. He's not going to get much better. Why people are talking about releasing him when he still has minor league options left is beyond me.

I also like Jimerson, and he gives you the strategy of putting him in as a pinch-runner and leaving him in the outfield for defense the rest of the game.

Reed would be a left-handed pinch hitter off the bench and then you'd leave him in the outfield for defense the rest of the game.

Morse would be a right-handed pinch hitter, which I don't know how many times a season you'd even need. He's still learning the outfield, so his defense would be a step down from either Reed or Jimerson.

Posted by AKMarinersFan

2:02 PM, Mar 14, 2008

This aggressive baserunning thing is just stupid. Does MAC think the other teams don't know???

Posted by scrapiron

2:08 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Nice picture of 'Gar. No disrespect to Pentland, but I sure wish the M's could talk Edgar into being their hitting instructor. That guy knows more about hitting than anyone on the team. He'd be a great hitting coach. Some guys don't give out advise well, but Edgar was well known throughout his career of tutoring the young hitters.

Posted by scrapiron

2:22 PM, Mar 14, 2008

AK - The Mariners are ahead 9-1 and your complaining about the baserunning? The glass is half-full, man, relax.

Posted by Batter Up!!!

2:26 PM, Mar 14, 2008

M's bats are hot today!

If we are going to run someone better give these guys a couple of tips on reading the pitcher. Ichiro and Bentancourt both picked off...... Morales must have a sweet move.

Posted by Merrill

2:30 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Thanks, scrappy.

Ooops!

(You really think, blah, just because I had the temerity to crunch some very basic numbers and post them, and I like to write, that I think I'm an "expert"? Hopefully this exchange disabuses you of that misperception, whicfh I would guess is based on a lazy sizing up of length-of-posts rather than actually bothering to read them.)

That reminds me--Lance, one time, after I posted an obnoxiously long marathon post, you asked me if I thought I was Geoff or something. I never answered you, but I have always wanted to say:

I am a trained writer and journalist, well capable of high-quality AP-style work, but not currently working in the field. I think it's clear Geoff is 10 billion times the writer I am. He might slip up with unimportant spelling and grammar issues on occasion (and no, no one edits this material), but it is no easy task to quickly hammer out easy-to-read, yet in-depth and thoughtful blog posts in addition to doing his regular work--with little to no editing (from himself, I mean; none from anyone else).

There's a good reason other people with blogs and "day jobs" don't do it to the same level.

Not to be a suckup or anything. That's just the truth as I see it.

Geoff, there's a pretty good chance I'll be here for a while. Let us know if you plan on stopping by this neck of the woods. It'd be a kick to bs with brews on the beach.

Excellent 'Gar suggestion, scrapiron.

Posted by Mike

2:36 PM, Mar 14, 2008

"Mike, I think they don't necessarily rate Vidro a lot higher than you. I think Vidro was a desperation signing. People talk a lot about not being able to discern a plan or strategy."

Merrill--They have to rate him more highly than me because they start him at DH and I wouldn't. But your point here is one thing that drives me nuts about the Ms decision-making that I have a hard time articulating.

They seem to identify one problem at a time ("we need a DH") announce it to the world and overpay for the privilege. Smarter teams could have gotten better production at lower cost, both in terms of prospects and salary. But we found a DH.

The HoRam-Soriano trade is an obvious example too. Whether or not Bavasi was told to get rid Soriano we certainly could have waited and gotten more for him. It reminds me of the Carlos Guillen trade. We decide Guillen is too injury-prone or DUI prone or whatever and we need to get rid of him. So we sign a shortstop and trade Guillen for next to nothing, but hey, we have a shortstop and are rid of Guillen.

This short-term, fill in one blank at a time strategy is what leads us to being surprised by the market or paying Carlos Silva $48M when no one else would.

The Bedard trade is yet another example of this mentality. Without getting into the argument about the trade, I was floored by Bavasi's statement that we wanted to knock the other potential suitors out of the running by overwhelming the other offers. In essence, we need an ace and by golly we'll give away far more than anyone else to get him.

Someone mentioned fluidity earlier. The Ms seem to lack any sense of that. There seems to be no overarching vision or creativity or looking two or three moves ahead.

I can just hear Bavasi in September, "We could not have anticipated Ibanez and Wilkerson being hurt at the same time. If those guys were healthy we had a chance to catch the Angels."

Sorry. Rant over. I know Bavasi has made some good moves, but overall, not so much.

Posted by AKMarinersFan

2:51 PM, Mar 14, 2008

scrap - Hate to bother you with facts, I know they cloud your point of view. The game was 4-1 at the time of the "baserunning" blunders. This is against Colorado's No. 6 starter. Colorado's lineup today consist of two starters (while the Mariners are using the regular lineup - except Vidro - which is actually an improvement). Keep smoking them Scrap...you are going to need it.

Posted by scottM

3:00 PM, Mar 14, 2008

No worries, Merrill. I got what you meant. And don't let Blah get under your skin. Your posts are fine... always respectful, balanced, and definitely in the flow of this blog. (As for you doing this for the ego-attention. There's only one blogger here who is not anonymous and who's getting paid. The rest of us are here to talk M's and make him look good, which, of course, we do).

And as for GEOFF... gotta love this blog... but if a Canadian reporter cannot get an indepth, soul-baring feature article out of our team's Canadian ACE pitcher, then we should all be disappointed. (It's a minimal expectation, like expecting Sexson to hit .225 with 75 RBIs and 25 homers). GEOFF needs to earn that trip to Phuket. ;=(^)

(I think that's how one makes a winking, tongue-in-cheek).

Donovan, Gar as a hitting instructor is a fine idea.

Anyone here getting antsy for Opening Day???? This waiting is getting interminable.

Posted by scottM

3:04 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Oops, sorry Srapiron, that was your good suggestion (not Donovan's) for the M's to use Edgar as a batting instructor.

Posted by jon

3:10 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Seriously AK, I am not the only one tired of your negativity. You are worried about baserunning errors in an spring training game. How bout they are training to see how far off the bag they can get, how bout training on their jumps to get that 2 bagger. for crying out loud you are making me negative everytime i see you post.

And what new stats did you give us...the score?

jon

Posted by Adam

3:17 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Edgar!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The greatest of all Mariners.

Posted by AKMarinersFan

3:17 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Jon are you Scrap in a smoke filled room with a Hooka in front of you?

Posted by GeoW

3:27 PM, Mar 14, 2008

RE: Complaints about AK. Surely some of you remember Cubby and his provocative contributions from last season. As I recall, a consensus developed to ignore his posts, or as someone eloquently wrote "Don't feed the bear." Well, if AK's negativity is bothering you, I'd suggest just passing his contributions right by. And, whatever else, don't feed him.

Posted by GeoW

3:29 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Posted by GeoW

3:32 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Posted by GeoW

3:33 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Posted by -k

3:40 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Seriously everyone: Stop responding to AK. If we ignore him, perhaps he will got away, and the entire site will be better off. He has nothing to offer.

Posted by -k

3:41 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Posted by Get Griffey

4:00 PM, Mar 14, 2008

OK now that AK has shown what a class act he is
can we talk about baseball please!!

Posted by Merrill

4:14 PM, Mar 14, 2008

I may not necessarily agree with AK's general attitude or specific comments all the time, but I hope he doesn't go away. There is definitely a market, so to speak, for his comments.

That's the wrong way to say it, been out of beer for a long time now and thoroughly annoyed my girlfriend staying up all night reading other stuff.

But I've seen a couple of people write in supporting AK, just as people did with Cubby (where are you, Cubby???).

I think there's plenty of room here even for blah--for everyone--and I hope we can just disagree or voice disagreement without telling people to get lost, or intimating that they should do so.

My two cents.

Thanks a lot, Scott. (Keep pushing that Canuck angle!)

Mike, I understand your opinion, but given what happened last year, when no pitchers or big boppers would sign with the M's (thank goodness for that!), and early on this year, when the Japanese pitcher chose LA, I think the knockout punch was a good strategy to get something done.

I don't think the package given up for Bedard is a big deal IF he re-signs. Aside from excellent but replaceable Sherrill and soon-to-be-a-star Jones, the other guys are a good reliever and a number 2 and a 3 at best.

Maybe.

Can't argue with you on the other stuff. I feel your pain, baby.

And on that note--goodnight, all. Great to hear Edgar's voice, Geoff, and hilarious Ichiro quote, as usual...

...Website's weird today...

Posted by cubby

4:20 PM, Mar 14, 2008

I'm back.....

Posted by Mike

4:33 PM, Mar 14, 2008

If it were me, I would have found a righty who does nothing but hammer lefties and platooned him with Broussard or tried to find another lefty bat that only hits righties. Given more playing time I think Broussard's production would have equaled Vidro's and we would have saved several million dollars and had Fruto & Snelling to potentially trade for another piece. After all, what did Oakland give up for Jack Cust?

You don't always need to make a splash or pay top dollar for talent if you are smart.

Posted by drlo

4:46 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Occasionally in the past, and most recently by Mike in the previous thread, it has been suggested that a Sexson/someone platoon be implemented at first.

If the idea is primarily to get Sexson fewer at bats, it may make some sense. But actually, from a lefty/righty perspective, Sexson is one guy who doesn't really need a platoon. His career splits are remarkably even -- fractionally better slug vs. RHP and fractionally better OPS vs. LHP. Last year he was noticeably worse vs. righties, but in 2006 he was remarkably better against righties. Platoon doesn't seem to be the answer to making Sexson more productive. Last year it would, of course, have been the obvious answer to getting Ben Broussard more at bats and presumably better overall production from 1B.

Posted by BandwagonJumper

7:53 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Does anyone else get the feeling that AK and Cubby are the same person behind the screen? Also I have been getting this error a lot when posting: Publish error in template 'Comment Response': Error in tag: Can't find included template module 'rightcolumextras'

Posted by James from Walla Wallas

11:35 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Geoff,

Your photos and comments continue to be great.
It has been a totally different ST this year
for me. You and your fellow bloggers have
given me a much different take on the whole experience.
Thanks guys and gals!!

To my way of viewing ST so far is that Morse
is a lock. That is a given! I mentioned in
an earlier blog that for the over all benefit
to improve the over all defense. Morse, Ichiro,
of releasing Reed worries me. Reed is having
a great ST, hitting .462 with some clutch hits
& a HR.

Vidro hitting .227 and is dealing with injuries!

Merrill, Adam, OregonGal, your thoughts on this?

Posted by James from Walla Walla

11:42 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Geoff,

Your photos and comments continue to be great.
It has been a totally different ST this year
for me. You and your fellow bloggers have
given me a much different take on the whole experience.
Thanks guys and gals!!

To my way of viewing ST so far is that Morse
is a lock. That is a given! I mentioned in
an earlier blog that for the over all benefit
to improve the over all defense. Morse, Ichiro,
of releasing Reed worries me. Reed is having
a great ST, hitting .462 with some clutch hits
& a HR.

Vidro hitting .227 and is dealing with injuries!

Merrill, Adam, OregonGal, your thoughts on this?

Posted by James from Walla Walla

11:48 PM, Mar 14, 2008

Sorry Geoff,

Sorry for the double/triple entry!!
Every time I submit comment I get an error!

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-19

Love this cartoon

Nah, on second thought

Same as it ever was

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-18

A look at the local Ferrari dubbed the nation's top carnew
It's been called the most prestigious car show in the nation, and possibly the world. Every summer, the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance attracts the ...