March 13, 2008 12:09 PM

Sights and Sounds: Buckets and pops

Posted by Geoff Baker

Some great drills for you to catch a glimpse of today. The first one involves cutoff men taking outfield relays, spinning and firing home where they attempt to knock over some buckets positioned where the plate is. Not as easy as it sounds. The groups are competing against each other.

The second drill involves catching pop-ups from a machine. But this time, the outfielders are trying to catch three pops one after the other with little time to recover. Ichiro goes first and makes it look easy. But then Jeremy Reed shows that it's a little tougher than that. Raul Ibanez can only haul in a pair. Wladimir Balentien has a bit of a tough time. Reed then lies flat on his stomach and only gets up after the ball is put in the air. Interesting stuff. Hope you enjoy.

Posted by scrapiron

12:21 PM, Mar 13, 2008

One of my favorite drills is a bucket on its side at second base and catchers try to put a baseball in it.

I'd love to see a skills challenge on all-star home run derby day so we could see which outfielder, catcher, etc. has the best arm.

Posted by scrapiron

12:26 PM, Mar 13, 2008

One of the classic stories is that Satchel Paige used to put three matchsticks on the backstop and he could always knock them down from the mound in less than 5 pitches. How about a Satchel Paige skills challenge for the all star break for the pitchers to see who can do it in the fewest throws? I think that would be fun.

Posted by Some Dude

12:50 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Oh no, Reed's on his stomach now too? When are those lousy bees going to stop harassing our guys?

Posted by NateDawgUS

2:10 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Great video. I remember doing the bucket drill as a SS back in the day. I love this videos that show the guys having fun.

I agree with the skills challenge thing. The MLB has something that the other leagues don't have when it comes to the all star festivities. People, actually watch in mass numbers. I think that I skills challenge before the Home Run Derby would be pretty fun.

Posted by NateDawgUS

2:11 PM, Mar 13, 2008

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-19

Love this cartoon

Nah, on second thought

Same as it ever was

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-18

4 automakers invest in plants; Honda upgrades Fit bumpernew
Toyota plans to expand production of its Highlander SUV. (Toyota) 4 automakers reveal big plant changes A variety of automakers announced major moves ...