March 12, 2008 6:30 PM

"Everyday Eddie" update

Posted by Jose Romero

UPDATE 11:29 p.m.: Turns out rumors of Guardado's demise might be premature. Strained knee ligaments and is expected back on the mound early next week. We'll have all the details if it turns out otherwise (Baker).

OK I know I said I was done in spring training but I guess I couldn't get enough. Got a couple of things to share, and here's the first.

You all might remember LHP Eddie Guardado, who spent the 2004 and 2005 seasons plus part of the 2006 season with the Mariners before being traded. I really enjoyed talking to him when he was in Seattle, and I know I'm not alone as far as reporters. Just a good guy who was a great clubhouse leader known for being a practical joker. He was always known for that post-save fist pump and I know the fans really got into him because he wears his emotions on his sleeve proudly.

Anyway, I went to a spring training game at Surprise, Ariz., between the Texas Rangers and Chicago Cubs and had great seats behind home plate. Guardado, now with the Rangers after signing a minor-league deal in January, came on to pitch in the bottom of the fifth with the Rangers up 3-2. He gave up the lead on a two-run HR by Alfonso Soriano, but rallied to get two outs. Then he hurt himself, wincing as he delivered a pitch. Guardado couldn't finish the inning and walked off the field gingerly favoring his left side.

That was tough to see. But here's hoping Eddie is OK and is able to try and continue a long and very good career.

Posted by Get Griffey

6:45 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Hope he is all right!

Posted by Chris from Bothell

6:49 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Eddie Guardado always has a special place in Mariners' hearts, because he made JJ Putz the 6 feet of awesome that he is today. Specifically by teaching him an extra pitch. So yeah, hope Eddie's ok.

Posted by helpFelix

7:41 PM, Mar 12, 2008

He was GREAT in 2004 & 05, but I was upset when Bavasi picked up his 2006 contract. I was in the blogsphere pushing Bavasi to trade him in the middle of 05 when we were completely out of it...AND Bavasi had a several teams that would of dish us some decent prospects (along with salary relief) for Eddie!

Instead, they signed him to a 1yr deal KNOWING at the end of 2005 he was having shoulder pain. THEN we ended up dishing him with MILLIONS to Cincy for NOTHING!

Posted by helpFelix

7:42 PM, Mar 12, 2008

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-19

Love this cartoon

Nah, on second thought

Same as it ever was

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-18

4 automakers invest in plants; Honda upgrades Fit bumpernew
Toyota plans to expand production of its Highlander SUV. (Toyota) 4 automakers reveal big plant changes A variety of automakers announced major moves ...