March 5, 2008 3:30 PM

Game track 3/5

Posted by Jose Romero

Final score: Mariners 6, Angels 5
M's go to 3-3 in Cactus League play.

Brandon Morrow was a little shaky at the end, but he got the out when he had to.
A few postgame notes:
-McLaren said he liked what he saw from Bedard, good velocity, good breaking balls.
-McLaren said roster cuts will be made after the team gets back from a three-game road trip to Tucson this Sunday through Tuesday.
-Asked about Ichiro being hitless, McLaren joked: "He better pick it up or he's going to Triple A."
-Pitching line on J.J. Putz: 1 INN, 3 hits, 2 earned runs, K.
-Pitching line on Morrow: 1 INN, 1 hit, 1 earned run, 2 BB, K.

Bottom 6

Mariners regulars still in the game. Ichiro is 0-for-3 with an RBI. Betancourt 3-for-4. Johjima 2-for-3. Bloomquist 2-for-3. Now as I write, the regulars are leaving the field to an ovation. It's now 6-4 Seattle.

Bottom 5

Willie Bloomquist just had a double-digit pitch at-bat and drove in a run with an RBI single. That was right after Jose Lopez knocked in two runs with a hit. M's get a three-spot in the fifth, 6-2 after 5.

Being Erik Bedard

Oh man, I know this topic is going to start something. The reporters who cover the team just got back from talking to Bedard after his performance. Total time on my recorder of the interview session: 1 minute, 18 seconds. Even the security guard who let us back into the stadium knew the deal.

"Didn't have much to say to ya, did he?" she said.

Yup, Bedard was...Bedard. He set the tone right off.
"You get four questions," he told the group.

1. Can you tell the difference from start to start?
Bedard: "No, not really. I was throwing same as last week. They just didn't hit it today."

2. This is a team you're going to face a lot this year. Is there anything you can get from them the first time you're looking at them (the Angels)?
Bedard: "No, not really. They're in the same boat as us. Just trying to get ready for the season and trying to get in shape."

3. How helpful was it to have the kind of defense you got from Willie (Bloomquist) at third base today?"
Bedard: "Helped me a lot. I wouldn't have gotten out of the second inning if he wouldn't have made those plays."

4 My question: "The third pitch to Figgins..."
Bedard interrupts: "Last one."
Me: "You hit him with strikes the first two. The third one, you looked like you were a little upset. Did you miss the location a little on that one?
Bedard: "I looked upset? Really? To start the game off, you mean? Curveball. Yeah, well, he hit it. I was trying to get him (Figgins) out with less than four pitches. He hit a triple."
(Someone tries to ask another one...
Bedard: "That's it. Four. Later." (He walks off).

By the way, what did I say about Sexson picking it? He just snared a sinking liner from Big Bad Vlad Guerrero for the third out of the top of the fifth. Fans gave him a partial standing ovation.
Dblog: 3-2 Padres over M's in the B game, seven innings.

Top 4

Angels cut it to 3-2 on a single by Howie Kendrick to drive in Torii Hunter with one out off Cha Seung Baek.
Mariners have 8 hits in this game.

Bottom 3rd

UPDATE: Second hit of the game for Norton, who was 1-for-10 coming into the game. Norton stole a base in the second inning on what appeared to be a busted hit-and-run play with Jose Lopez at the plate.

If this goes according to form, Bedard's day is over. 3 innings, 2 hits, 1 run, one K, one BB. I had him for 38 total pitches, 26 for strikes. Perhaps he'll have a little more to say about this one than the last.

Sexson is hitting the ball hard. He just lined out to third. He also made a saving scoop of a throw in the ground from Bloomquist in the top of the inning.

Bottom 2

UPDATE: Betancourt just got his second hit of the game. Ichiro got an RBI with a sacrifice fly to score Greg Norton from third. Bad throw and even worse pickup by the catcher for the Angels, Jeff Mathis. 3-1 Mariners.
Two out, runners on first and second.

Got this started a little late, but so far Bedard looks better than his first outing. He's started out 6 of first 9 hitter with a strike. Angels' Figgins did a good job going opposite field with his triple to lead off the game. Since then, Bedard has settled down. I could see the frustration on his face after the Figgins hit, must not have located it well.

The Mariners brought the lumber in the first. Granted they're facing Nick Adenhart, who has never pitched in the majors but is a top Angels prospect.

Ichiro is still hitless in the spring, but Raul Ibanez is now batting .500 (4-for-8) after his triple that drove in Betancourt. And Sexson's double in the first was a bomb. That ball is out in more than a few major league parks. He hit it to straightaway center off the wall on the fly and it's 410 feet just to the left and right of dead center. That drove in Ibanez and it's 2-1 Mariners as they bat here.

Game time: 1:05 p.m. and only 67 degrees.

Posted by ak-rowdy

1:04 PM, Mar 05, 2008

I'll take 1 run and 2 hits in three innings against that lineup.

Posted by AKMarinersFan

1:11 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Sexson is hitting the ball hard against NICK ADENHART.....

Posted by scrapiron

1:12 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Nice outing by Bedard. 1.00 WHIP. Impressive.

Posted by AKMarinersFan

1:19 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Jose you got to make some kind of comment if McLaren goes on a long rant about how well they hit the ball today...against NICK ADENHART. Not only has he not pitched in the Majors he hasn't pitched in AAA....

Posted by FJC

1:23 PM, Mar 05, 2008

FREE JEFF CLEMENT!!!

Posted by dblog

1:24 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Jose, how did the B game end?

Posted by gk1300

1:57 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Starting to hate Bedard a bit. Good thing he's only going to be here another year or so.

Posted by Pete

1:57 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Come on now. Nick Adenhart is the Angels #1 pitching prospect. He's got good stuff.

I agree, it's not that big of a deal to hit off a minor leaguer, but you're not giving the kid enough credit either.

Posted by AKMarinersFan

2:01 PM, Mar 05, 2008

wow..Bedard isn't going fit into the Mariners "good guy" requirement. I see some possible "clubhouse chemistry" issues....

Posted by jujay

2:05 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Bedard is fine, so he doesnt like talking to the media. I'd rather have him focus on his game anyways

Posted by Mike

2:05 PM, Mar 05, 2008

"Terrible is an overstatement. Bloomquist and Cairo are mediocre hitters."

OK Donovan from an earlier thread...I know I'm picking nits here but I just can't let it go.

Maybe terrible could be an overstatement but both Cairo and Bloomquist were well below league average OPS last year and for their careers actually. Only four AL players with enough ABs to qualify had an OPS lower than Bloomquist. Only Nick Punto had a lower OPS than Cairo. So maybe not terrible but both would have tio inprove a lot to reach mediocre.

That said, I actually like what Willie brings as a 25th player. He's got a decent glove at numerous positions and can steal a base.

Posted by Stevefromspokane

2:06 PM, Mar 05, 2008

In the "other" Seattle paper McLaren was talking like Norton is a lock on the team. Is this for real? Granted, he is playing well, but hardly deserves to have a spot locked up.

I too am starting to have a poor taste in my mouth from this team. Between Bedard being so friendly and the veteran entitlement continuing to the point that Morse and Jimerson will be let go no matter how they do this ST, this team is lacking like-ability on some levels. I sure hope they perform well, or it could get ugly. Hope it doesn't come to that.

Posted by jujay

2:09 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Bedard is fine. Who cares that he doesnt like talking to Media, can't say I blame him. Id rather have him focussing on his game anyways.

Posted by gk1300

2:10 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Part of Bedard's job is talking to the media. It's not exactly like the New York media here.

Posted by Thomas

2:15 PM, Mar 05, 2008

the media are more sensitive than teenage girls...4 questions...who cares. It's March 5th. It's basically a scrimmage and some reporters want to make it an october playoff game or paint Bedard as a barry bonds grouch. It matters 0% how he or any other Mariner treats the media...only how he meshes in the clubhouse and performs on the field. I'm sure you'll all get your share of interviews during the marathon that is the MLB season.

Posted by Higbie

2:15 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Bedard does seem too friendly, sure. who cares though really, if he pitches like everyone is banking on him to and expecting, then i could care less if he says anything to the media.

Posted by AKMarinersFan

2:15 PM, Mar 05, 2008

...against Henry Bonilla. Also never pitched in the majors. He had a 5.78 ERA in AAA last year. This game is a joke.

Posted by jujay

2:17 PM, Mar 05, 2008

he gave them their four questions, and gave all then answers we could need. All talking to the media more will do is make him overanalyze things. If his attitude is that he's just going to pitch, so be it.

Posted by kujo

2:20 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Bedard... I'm really starting to like this guy. Since when does a good ball player have to be a nice guy. Seems like a weird requirement to me. I find his his straight forward, curt attitude somewhat refreshing and quite entertaining - cracks me up. I suppose some people like a little bs thrown in to their interviews.

Posted by scrapiron

2:33 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Anyone complaining about Bedard's treatment of the media hasn't been a Mariners fan long. Randy Johnson used to do the same thing. As I remember, he did pretty good in a Mariners uniform.

Team chemistry? That'll be fine after a win, thank you.

Posted by AKMarinersFan

2:36 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Scrapiron

I was making light of M's managments obsession with team chemistry and good guy qualities. Of course if Bedard pitches well no one cares what he says to the press. But that's not the attitude that you hear from McLaren and Bavasi

Posted by Donovan

2:36 PM, Mar 05, 2008

AK - You need to go have a beer with PayClayBennett from this morning's thread. You have posted 3 times here ripping into the M's for hitting rookie pitching (what were they supposed to do exactly?), and once ripping Bedard for being brusque with reporters (weren't you one of the guys touting Barry Bonds?). It's March 5. Win or lose, this game means nothing. It would mean nothing if the score were reversed. It's just limbering up.

As for Bedard, I see nothing to criticize. Honestly, all four of those questions were pure fluff. Nobody should be trying to fill up columns with overanalyis of early ST performances. I wish more athletes would challenge reporters who ask obvious questions just to fill up their column. So he doesn't roll out the usual pitching cliches a la Nuke LaLoosh. I bet he doesn't whine or make excuses when he has a bad outing.

Posted by AKMarinersFan

2:41 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Donovan - I am just concerned that this performance will fuel the "veternans" focus that the M's management. I wonder how much of a coiencedence that it is that the M's used this lineup against the Angels rookie staff.

Posted by Ben

2:43 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Man, Bedard is kind of hillarious. We should get Bill Belichick to coach at this point.

I think Bedard should have fun with his media approach and come up with random numbers of questions he'll field each time. If someone asks a 2-part question, they use up 2 questions.

Posted by Beady Eyes

2:51 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Uhhh,

Randy Johnson
Nolan Ryan
Steve Carlton

and a few lesser talents were FAMOUS for not talking to the press or being grumps in interviews, who cares? If this is a criteria to rip into Bedard because some hate the trade, that's a low blow.

Posted by Donovan

2:57 PM, Mar 05, 2008

You're overthinking this man. It's just one practice game, not a conspiracy. All we want right now is to see hitters making contact and pitchers hitting their spots. It was a decent day both ways, but nobody views this as a reflection of the relative strengths of these two teams. Too early for that.

I know you have a big picture concern with management, but let's wait and see what they actually say/do instead of anticipating it. If Richie hits this year, that's the best thing for the team. I couldn't care less how Mac and Bill spin that. Bedard seems to be gradually dialing in his curve ball, and that's good too. Give him three more starts and look for progress.

As for veteran bias, if Morse keeps it up and they leave him off the team in favor of Norton, then I'll buy us both a beer - or maybe a whisky.

Posted by byrdz

3:07 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Orioles fan here. Basically, Bedard feels like the media asks stupid and obvious questions which a lot of times they do. Also, this is ST man, let he guy get loose before you start grilling him. He will not show much emotion even during the season and we (O' fans) went through the same thoughts of him having attitude problems. He's reserved and intense and just wants to pitch and not to be asked dumb questions.

He's not a baseball PR person. Why is it assumed that just because a baseball player can throw a ball well that they should be good in front of the media? Just wait til' he shows that intensity on the mound, you'll appreciate it and think that the media answers are actually quite funny.

Posted by Chris from Bothell

3:13 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Am I the only one who is thoroughly enjoying having a somewhat terse, somewhat media-unfriendly pitching ace in Seattle again? Doesn't that seem like ol times? (What IS Randy up to these days, anyway? :) )

Posted by scottM

3:24 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Thanks Byrdz, for the good observations. Anyone who followed the trade closely knew that Bedard was not media friendly. Who cares as long as he brings the necessary intensity on game day?

After March 11, send GEOFF in with a twenty pound side of Canadian Bacon and a list of intelligent questions to help him secure an in-depth feature interview with Bedard. Of course, the Seattle Times should be offering combat pay and the promise of a sure-fire Pulitzer if GEOFF delivers.

I wonder how irritable McLaren will be tomorrow over those four horrible questions the media asked.

Every circus has its side show and its center ring. There are plenty of players who can pitch the stuff the media loves to cover who don't do nearly as well as Bedard in the center ring. Which do we want?

Posted by Donovan

3:26 PM, Mar 05, 2008

They just played tape of the Bedard interview on KOMO. Terse yes, but he was hardly rude.

Who says being "good" with the media means giving them exactly what they want or making their life easier? Why shouldn't the athlete be the one with the expectations in an interview? Granted, the baseball beat is tough. Not easy to come up with original and insightful questions 162 times in a season, but I always admired a sports figure who challenged the press to ask something more than the trite "How does it feel?" or "What was working for you today?". My all-time favorite sports interview? Bobby Knight. Volatile, yes, but the man was (is) smarter than 99% of the people who interviewed him. He'd acknowledge a good question and humiliate the asker of a stupid one. He rarely, if ever said anything cliche or ritualized himself though.

Posted by tallahassee-mariner's fan

3:32 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Well that’s what happens when kids don’t get enough hugs from Dad:
“Bedard: "That's it. Four. Later." (He walks off).”

But its understandable right -- getting paid millions a year to play baseball while the rest of us are slaving away for peanuts, why shouldn’t he limit his questions to a minute-eighteen?

Posted by Adam

3:43 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Cairo's career OPS: .674
Bloomquist's career OPS: .642

That's the definition of terrible. Having Willie on this team is bad enough. Putting Cairo on the roster with Willie is pure idiocy.

Wait, did I just say that about Bavasi and McLaren??

Posted by Mike

3:54 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Actually having Willie on the team isn't so bad if the rest of your roster is well-constructed. It's nice to have someone who can pinch-run and play defense at several positions. He is a fine 25th player.

But yes, Willie and Cairo on the same bench is lunacy. Seriously if we go North with a bench Willie, Cairo, Burke and Jimerson/Morse we will have to have the worst offensive bench in baseball.

Posted by kujo

4:18 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Not to beat a dead horse but I have to disagree that Bedard thinks reporters ask dumb questions. On the contrary his answers seem quite serious and to the point, no condescending at all. A top pro athlete or coach out smarting a reporter about their own sport does not seem like much of a contest. I would think mistrusting how the media would spin a long series of questions is more the issue. He comes across as a sincere guy listening to him speak, even though a man of few words. The way he controls the conversation sure makes you chuckle though (unless you are a reporter of course).

Posted by joe

4:24 PM, Mar 05, 2008

hey JOSE..want some cheese with that whine?

Posted by John

4:31 PM, Mar 05, 2008

I agree about the bench. I think having Bloomquist AND Cairo on this team would be a waste - it certainly leaves you with no power. I completely agree that without some of our younger bats like Clement or Balentien, we'll be one of the weakest benches in all of baseball.

As for Bedard, I was a sportswriter for more than a decade, and that's just the way it is with some guys. It really doesn't matter how creative your questions are, some guys just don't like the media, and some of the time it's for good reason. There are a lot of yahoos out there, particularly TV people, who ask the dumbest questions you've ever heard. And then there are newspaper guys that ask really tough, probing questions that sometimes tick guys off.
It's just a personality thing. I used to try to interview Gary Payton, and sometimes all I ever got from him was a "f... off." Nice guy.
I don't think it makes Bedard a bad guy at all. Personally, I love the fact that he's got attitude. I hope he settles in a little and enjoys the Northwest, and maybe decides to stick around a few more years if they give him a good contract extension offer. But even if he doesn't, I'm confident in two years we'll be in good shape with Felix at the top of the rotation even without Bedard.

Posted by BubbaFan

4:32 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Have the Mariners released their minor league spring training schedule yet?

Posted by Donovan

5:29 PM, Mar 05, 2008

I obviously wasn't there, but there wasn't anything remotely resembling a "f-off" statement in the Bedard interview they played on the radio. He was polite, just brief. What the heck do people want from him at this point, stories about his childhood? C'mon - "Anything different from last start?" and "What can you tell about the Angels?" These are actually questions with answers anybody could or should care about after a 3-inning tuneup appearance in early May? Please. They shouldn't even do postgame interviews for outings like this. There is nothing substantive about Bedard's form to report yet. Just because fans want something is no reason to feed them bubble gum.

I'm not arguing with people who say that a bench of Bloomie, Burke, Cairo, and Morse would be offensively anemic (at least 75% of it). Who should be on that bench? The only other options are Balentien and Clement, and there are solid developmental reasons not to use them as bench players right now. People weren't too happy about them derailing Morrow's development as a starter last year (and maybe forever) to use him in relief. How is this different? Is there another offensive power option I'm missing?

Posted by Lola

5:58 PM, Mar 05, 2008

AKM-
Normally I agree with most of your points, but please recall that Richie has been hitting pretty hard against other pitchers as well this ST.... The Angels are trying out someone we might face a lot this season. If the guys can hit well against him, I think it bodes well for us.

Posted by ccmoo

6:24 PM, Mar 05, 2008

I think you're missing the point with Bedard. It's not just that he's a jerk with the media when he doesn't have to be. It's that he's a jerk - period. The media is and always has been just one part of it. He was bad with his coaches last year, and they were happy to see him go. This is the problem that should concern fans.

Posted by PayClayBennett

6:29 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Today the "media" experienced the results of the last interview he gave - now he is just going to pitch, which is what we all want. Do you want W's or do you care that he doesn't elaborate and feels claustrophobic around the media? He probably feels a little invaded still from the last start - he just wants to get his spring in and get to Safeco. Quit ridin' him Jose :-)

Posted by PayClayBennett

6:37 PM, Mar 05, 2008

ccmoo - I'm sure with the thorough evaluation Bavasi does on all of his acquisitions, Bedard's personality and it's ability to gel with the Mariner clubhouse has been confirmed as positive, LOL. Sometimes people who are introverted are looked at as jerks - part of the reason he is introverted is because the barrage makes him uncomfortable. The more uncomfortable he is, the worse he will pitch. Man - why can't we just let this guy pitch and not worry about the rest of this crap? Randy Johnson is a jerk, met him in person and he actually accused me of trying to take advantage of his stature - but he won games and no one wanted to hit off him. If that's Bedard, so be it - leave him alone if you don't like his answers....

Posted by Bum Knee McGee

6:37 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Jose and the rest of the media, if Bedard's continues to always give you guys an attitude, I suggest you ignore him. Don't ask him any questions. I know this kind of goes against your job description, but why play into his hand? Spend more time on the other players, pretty soon he'll propably get jealous.

Posted by ccmoo

6:44 PM, Mar 05, 2008

payclay - introverted is just an excuse. he's not introverted - he chooses to be great with some people and trouble with others. some teammates in baltimore talked about what a great guy he was. some management cringed at him, and he didn't deal well with coaches other than leo mazzone. like i said, the media thing is symptomatic of a larger problem. i'm guessing bavasi thought he'd mature in a better, less-media-intense environment with more veterans and good guys to show him how to not be a jerk. i hope that's the case, but it's hard to take the jerk out of a guy.

Posted by pat

7:30 PM, Mar 05, 2008

Cairo is horrible. The M's are already giving up offensively on one bench piece (Willie) they can't do it twice with Cairo. If you replace Cairo with Morse and take Jimerson up north then you have two speed guys on the bench, all the positions pretty well covered and a pretty good young bat in Morse. And Cairo isn't the burner that the team has made him out to be to make up for his poor, poor bat.

Posted by Merrill

9:42 PM, Mar 05, 2008

ccmoo, I don't know Bedard personally, but by all accounts, he certainly fits the definition of "introvert."

I'm an introvert so I know a little about the breed. We don't have good social intelligence, tending to screw up and say or do the wrong things in group situations, but we do very well one-on-one due to our emotional sensitivity and understanding.

Also, being in group situations tends to drain energy from us, and since we are only 25% of the population, people are always wondering, from the time we are kids, what's "wrong" with us.

We get energy from being alone or in meaningful one-on-one relationships, whereas extroverts get energy from being in social or group situations. And vice-versa.

I think a more widely distributed understanding of the personality differences among people, and their effect on behavior and inclination, would be more than helpful in redesigning our education system, and would help parents out quite a bit.

Anyway, I'm not saying he's not a jerk--I don't know him--but most accounts I've seen from O's fans posting here, and reading Roch's O's blog and various stories about Bedard during the trade melodrama, seem to indicate he's very good in the clubhouse, gets along well with people who don't bother him, and will listen to experienced coaches who understand that he knows himself, and his pitching, very well (as introverts tend to do).

Thanks, Jose, for including the questions. It's great to see the complete context.

Posted by Merrill

11:24 PM, Mar 05, 2008

O, by the way, Scott, I'm told that Canadians call "Canadian bacon" "ham," and think we're a little funny in the head about it (aside from our violent paranoia).

Posted by Mozero

6:12 AM, Mar 06, 2008

Cairo has no power, average speed.
It should be Norton, Morse, Burke, Willie.
Norton is a proven PH.

Posted by Zorro

6:55 AM, Mar 06, 2008

I agree with PayClay and Merrill. Being an "introvert" myself and being passed off as a jerk by nearly every new person I meet can be exausting. As an introvert you want so badly to be like all the others, but, alas, you are what you are and there is nothing you can do to change it. You can tell from Bedard's mannerisms in the interview that he is uncomfortable answering the questions with the mob of reporters standing around. That is just who he is, and the sooner we all accept that (including the media), and let the man do his job, the happier everyone will be.

Posted by Merrill

7:08 AM, Mar 06, 2008

Yeah, Zorro, it was the desire to understand myself and why I was different from most people that led me to study personality typing. It's really fascinating stuff, if you like and want to understand people.

Posted by scottM

8:05 AM, Mar 06, 2008

Suggestions for interviewing Bedard:

Hire a French speaking interpreter to translate all questions, and give all media responses (even though we know Erikkkkkkkkk speaks English perfectly well).

Have the media interviewers draw those four allowed questions from a hat, with the other reporters able to veto the really dumb ones.

When Bedard comes out of the game, dose his drinking water with an anti-depressant, or some other silliness-inducing, mood-enhancing drug.

HIre Barry Bonds, (who, at last indication) is available, to give area reporters a seminar on how to interview irascible star athletes.

Send in the best Candadian reporter in the Seattle Reporting corps to schmooze Sir Erikkkkkkkkk. (Hint, this reporter is in Hawaii now, on the beach, plotting his best Bedard interview strategy).

Posted by scrapiron

8:08 AM, Mar 06, 2008

You guys also forget that Sports Illustrated did a big story on Erik Bedard just before the trade was made, so he's not adverse to the media. He probably just wants people to respect his privacy and the daily reporters are a bit invasive. Nothing wrong with that.

Setting a limit on questions actually should keep the beat writers on their toes to ensure that the questions are well thought out.

Posted by BubbaFan

8:28 AM, Mar 06, 2008

Cairo's pretty good with the glove. His bat, not so much.

He's not that speedy, but was considered the Yankees' best baserunner because he's very smart on the basepaths.

Posted by byrdz

10:15 AM, Mar 06, 2008

Whoever said this that I've copied below couldn't be more completely wrong.

Posted by Patrick

11:06 AM, Mar 06, 2008

Can I just say I know a guy on the Orioles pitching staff and I asked him about Bedard when the M's made the trade. He said Bedard is a nice guy and doesn't cause any trouble in the clubhouse. he just doesn't talk to the media. That's not enough to call him a jerk or clubhouse cancer, which my friend said he's definitely not.

Posted by O's fan from MD

12:29 PM, Mar 06, 2008

Better get used to the Bedard media reaction - that's just how he is. Used to drive the Baltimore media guys crazy too, but he's just a quiet guy in front of the cameras. He'll pitch amazingly for you, though, so really, I'm sure his interactions w/the media won't be the lead story.

And he really is a good guy, and a good teammate - never heard complaints from the O's clubhouse about him. Just give him some time - I'm sure you'll warm up to him...we're sure gonna miss him here in Baltimore!

Posted by wilfred

6:57 PM, Mar 07, 2008

Another Orioles fan here and just have to say that ccmoo is completely wrong about Bedard. He has little patience for the obvious and stupid (talking with the media) and can be rather blunt but he has no record of being a "clubhouse cancer". The problem is if you don't play the media's game they return the favor by bad mouthing you in the press and some fans buy into it. I've met Bedard and he's a cool guy with a good sense of humor.

Posted by Pat Cunningtrombone