March 2, 2008 3:30 PM

M's-Padres March 2

Posted by Jose Romero

UPDATE: McLaren said in his postgame comments that he has to check on the status of injured pitcher Anderson Garcia, who might have suffered a setback in his return from a right biceps injury while throwing a bullpen session earlier today. I'll check on it tomorrow.

END GAME

Mariners win it 6-2. Fourteen hits for Seattle. M's are 2-1 in spring training. Brandon Morrow pitched two innings and allowed two hits, a walk and struck out one. Ryan Feierabend was also used in relief and walked three batters in two innings, giving up a run on two hits. Snydro22: Jimenez isn't in the final box score. Charlton Jimerson could be the guy you are thinking of. He came in as a pinch runner in the fifth, stayed in the game in CF and went 1-for-2 with two runs scored and an RBI.

Bottom 7

UPDATE: Hoffman is out of the game. They just gave him the hook. Two runs allowed on four hits, and there are runners at second and third.

Mark Kiger doubles to left, and one out later, Charlton Jimerson drives him in with a doube. It's 4-2 Mariners. McLaren had good things to say about both these young guys on Saturday. They've impressed him. And they probably did just now. As I write that, Bryan LaHair drives in Jimerson with a single to right, and Trevor Hoffman, the future Hall-of-Fame closer for the Padres, has been touched up for two runs this inning. 5-2 Mariners.

Top 7

3-2 Seattle and the starters have left the game. I almost got hit with a foul ball on the concourse here in Peoria as I was coming back to the press box from the Mariners' clubhouse. Carlos Silva was a pretty good interview.

Bottom 5

Bringing Sexy back! Bad joke, sorry. Richie Sexson drives in a run with a hard single to left. He's 2-for-3.

To answer a couple of questions:
Lance: Geoff is taking some vacation time in Hawaii and will be back on March 11 to spring training.
Thanks for the kind words.
Alfonso: Soy de origen mexicano (Chicano por vida!). Naci en Oregon. Pero latinos unidos y arriba boricuas!
And to those who offered me restaurant tips in Arizona, I truly appreciate it.

Top 5

Scott Hairston leads off against J.J. Putz with a single, smacking what looked like a hanging breaking ball. Then Matt Antonelli, a pinch hitter, reaches base when Sexson fields his ground ball and decides to fire to third base to get Hairston. The throw bounces and the ball gets away from Miguel Cairo at third, and Hairston scores to make it 2-2. But Putz buckles down and retires the next three hitters, two on strikeouts.

Top 3

Silva is out of the game. 23 total pitches, 14 for strikes. 2 innings, 1 hit, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts. That should satisfy a lot of people.

Top 2

Silvas breezes, throwing only 10 pitches, eight for strikes. He's victimized by a fly ball lost in the sun by LF Wladimir Balentien, whose defense has been suspect early in spring training game action. But hey, this is Arizona and it's windy today and sunny as usual.

Bottom 1

The Mariners bats come alive right away against San Diego star Jake Peavy. No. 2 hitter Bronson Sardinha draws a walk with one out, and after Raul Ibanez is caught looking at strike three, Richie Sexson lashes a base hit to left field. (Forgot to mention before how Ibanez stared at home plate umpire Chris Griffith after the strike three call, then had some words for the ump as he walked back to the dugout). The cheers ring from the stands,as this was Sexson's first real solid hit of the spring and people know how he struggled last season. With runners at first and second, Kenji Johjima rips a ground rule double to drive in Sardinha. Then Mike Morse, the sizzling Mike Morse with four hits and 6 RBI in the past three days, hits a sharp ground ball off Peavy's right leg for an infield hit. Sexson scores. 2-0 Seattle after 1.

Top 1

Carlos Silva, in his first start as a Mariner in spring training, gets it done in the first in13 pitches. Six were strikes. He walked the leadoff man but came back and got the next batter looking at strike three.

Game on, 1:05 p.m, 69 degrees and windy. Like Safeco in late June.

Posted by Adam

12:53 PM, Mar 02, 2008

Just heard Blowers should do well in front of the Mariners' "outstanding" defense.

Huh?

Posted by AKMarinersFan

1:07 PM, Mar 02, 2008

Lets see how Silva does against a real lineup. San Diego's offense is worse the Mariners...ugh

Posted by Lance

1:32 PM, Mar 02, 2008

Jose, first time I caught your by-line on the blog. Welcome! I've always enjoyed your Mariners stuff in the paper. For pure writing I've always felt that in the past few years you and Greg Bishop have been the best, both before and since Geoff (I'll give the "analysis" award to Larry Stone, the "digging" award to Geoff). Just my two cents.

Also, would someone catch me up? Will Geoff be out until March 11? Seems like a funny time to disappear for ten days. Is he getting married, or something?

Posted by AlexGordon4

1:35 PM, Mar 02, 2008

It's a little more hotter than 69 in seattle in June

Posted by oregongal

2:01 PM, Mar 02, 2008

Lance, Geoff is taking the vacation he didn't get when we signed Bedard. He's off in the tropics.

For God's sake, keep hitting, Richie.

What's with Raul arguing with an ump on March 2? Feeling a little heat from the youngsters?

Posted by ak-rowdy

2:07 PM, Mar 02, 2008

Oh man, Peavy gives up two in the first. I wonder what he'll hear from the San Diego media. Wait, probably nothing.

Posted by Charles

2:17 PM, Mar 02, 2008

Feierabend didn't do that well today. Gave up 3 BB , 2 hits, 1 run with no strikeouts in 2 innings.

Posted by Maui Mariner

2:30 PM, Mar 02, 2008

Thanks for that link oregongal, I guess I missed a couple of posts. Too bad I hadn't seen that before or I might have gone to the airport to greet him. I work at the airport sometimes so it would have been easy to do.
He probably popped in incognito and went over to Lanai for some expensive, exclusive, good treatment.
Hope Geoff is enjoying life here in the islands. I know I enjoy it every day.
Looks like we got some gamers here in Spring Training.
Go M's

Posted by snydro22

3:11 PM, Mar 02, 2008

I saw on the Mariners team site that Cesar Jimenez came in as a pinch runner, playing cf, and went 1-1 with 2 runs and an RBI..

Any word on why this was done? I didn't see his name in the pitcher's line and I heard we were using the DH today..

What gives, Jose?

Posted by oregongal

3:14 PM, Mar 02, 2008

Jose, go, Oregonians! Glad you're incorporating a few one-liners of your own. Keep it up!

Posted by snydro22

4:29 PM, Mar 02, 2008

Nevermind, it was a typo.. they've since changed it from Jimenez to Jimerson..

Posted by iowaMsfan

4:36 PM, Mar 02, 2008

If Morse and Jimerson are giving the team exactly what they lack. I know it is spring training, but they are some of the only ones capable of providing a spark. If we lose either of them in favor of Cairo or Norton, then I will be extremely disappointed in the leaders of this team. These youngsters are fun to watch play.

Posted by iowaMsfan

4:37 PM, Mar 02, 2008

please disregard the 'if' at the beginning of my last comment. Thanks

Posted by scrapiron

6:11 PM, Mar 02, 2008

I heard Jimerson also stole a base today, his third of the spring. This team sorely needs some team speed, I'd like to see Jimerson as a speed guy off the bench. I hope he makes the cut.

Posted by oregongal

6:26 PM, Mar 02, 2008

I like Jimerson, but I don't think he's staying with us:

"No. We have two other guys already doing that. We're looking for a right-handed-hitting type that can complement [Brad] Wilkerson in the outfield or to give one of the left-handed hitting outfields a rest." -- Manager John McLaren on the chances of putting Minor League outfielder Charlton Jimerson on the roster as a pinch-runner."

Posted by mere Tantalisers

7:20 PM, Mar 02, 2008

Can you say anything about the kinds of pitches Morrow was throwing? I'm mostly interested if he flashed a change, which would make him a much more complete pitcher. Was his splitter in evidence?

Posted by Tijuana Slim

8:47 PM, Mar 02, 2008

Ay, Carumba! Sexon y Morse es En Fuego!!!

Posted by Scott (Marysville)

9:43 PM, Mar 02, 2008

Hey, When will you guys begin posting "next game times" and if it's on tv or not for the Mariners? soon I hope it's sunday and just fortunate to have heard mondays game is on fox.

Posted by zusu

10:04 PM, Mar 02, 2008

Sexson y Morse en fuego - es muy bien! The game tomorrow M's vs. Cubs is on FSN at 12:05.

Btw, I haven't been able to log on as 'Nat' very often, like once in a blue moon, so I started a new handle, and have had no trouble logging on -so am now 'zusu' - apropos of nothing.

Posted by ness

10:25 PM, Mar 02, 2008

I almost got hit with Jimerson's friggin bat... he broke it in the 8th and the barrel flew into the stands like 5 rows directly in front of me. So now I have a Charlton Jimerson souvenir game-used bat splinter.

Posted by scrapiron

9:41 AM, Mar 03, 2008

oregongal - I saw that quote but I didn't see that as meaning that Jimerson wouldn't make the roster. Just that he wouldn't make the roster as a pinch runner only.

Balentien is a right-handed hitter, but struggled in the outfield yesterday, so Jimerson is beter defensively. Morse, Cairo and Bloomquist could be the right-handed outfielder he was talking about, but I hope not. I like Jimerson as a defensive replacement for Wilkerson, and hopefully can also get an at bat late in the game and steal a base if need be.

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-19