March 1, 2008 8:10 AM

McLaren not so cheery

Posted by Jose Romero

For the first time since I arrived, I got to see a full clubhouse. All the players were in there seated awaiting a meeting that started at 9 a.m.

Apparently manager John McLaren wasn't happy about some of the things said about Erik Bedard in the media after his two-inning outing Friday. Here's the link to my story on it in today's Times.

Thanks for allowing me to plug my own article. Shameless, I know. Anyway, I asked McLaren a question about wanting to see his new pitchers throw all their pitches, as he saw with Bedard. Here's how he started his response:

"I just want...all these pitchers to get their feet wet. First time on the mound. It would look great in the box score if it's three scoreless innings. That's not the bottom line for us. The bottom line, No. 1, they're healthy. No. 2, they're out on the mound for the first time and they're still getting in shape. We're not looking for box scores, so to speak. We're looking at what we see on the mound. Are they improving each time out? How's their stuff? Building their arm up. And I think sometimes, the fans and even the media are looking for just three scoreless innings and this is why we got this guy, and I'm not looking for that. If it happens, it does, and that's fine. But there's some other things that we're looking for. As an example, yesterday I was very happy with Erik. Very happy. He had good stuff...."

...and then, McLaren's mood changed.

"Some of the questions you guys asked me yesterday, it actually p----- me off. And it's carrying over into today."

Next came a couple of more expletives as he described the expectation level and how he just wants Bedard to get in shape. Then the morning briefing was over.

Posted by scottM

9:10 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Da pressure is on. It's one thing to know that Bedard is a reserved, media-shy pitcher, but another to see McLaren losing his cool so early on. He should be laughing off those reporter questions, not getting p____ed off.

Guess what, Mac? You chose to start your ACE on opening day of the Spring Cactus League. Expect the media and the public to comment on the performance. Guess what, Mac? Bedard's performance will be under great scrutiny on March 31st, too. And then every fifth game thereafter. Get used to it. Relax. Bedard knows how to pitch. He won't let us down.

Posted by Chris from Bothell

9:12 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Let's see how good his throwing arm is - ask him how Sexson looks. :)

Seriously, good thing McLaren isn't managing a team in e.g. New York. If he thinks yesterday's press questions were over the top... wow.

Posted by wayupwaydown

9:14 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Well Jose, I love good sports writing. When you read the entire article, it does balance the story out on Bedard somewhat by the time you are done reading it.

But when I saw the headline and read the first paragraph, it unbalances what you say overall. I guess I would have to agree with Mac. It appears you were trying to get readers attention in a very negative way.

It is only the first ST game. Mac is absolutely right. The box score means nothing. I don't know what your agenda was on the story, but my perception is that you were trying to stir things up a little about Bedard and trying to continue the doubt and controversy on his signing.

I guess it sells papers. But I don't think it was fair at all in the way it was presented.

Just my opinion.

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

9:18 AM, Mar 01, 2008

McLaren wears his emotions all right. Unlike Sweet Lou, I'm not sure Mac has the toughness to endure a full year of questions. This is just the cusp of spring action and the guy is burning out. I know the front office surrounded him with plenty of veteran coaches after drowning as a manager last year. But I wonder how he will act when his predictable bad game strategy is questioned after opening day.

Posted by PayClayBennett

9:18 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Either way - the media should know that was Erik's first start - leave it the F alone. Never once has spring stats counted in the W/L columns during the regular season. It shows how stupid and overdone the press coverage can be. Let the mothers pitch and start making your judgements when the games count - and that from a guy who was firmly against the trade. I don't give a rip if Bedard has an ERA of 8 in the spring - as long as he nuts up in the regular season and earns his $7M - I'm cool. You "sports" writers need to be objective and not ask stupid questions. Who expected Bedard to pitch 40 pitches, 2 innings of hitless/scoreless ball? No one - that's right. Get out of his kitchen - it makes the writers look uneducated and like witch hunters.

Posted by Adam

9:21 AM, Mar 01, 2008

I know Mac reads this blog sometimes, so here goes:

Hey Mac - Shut up and manage. Are you really surprised that the media would ask the questions they did about your new hot-shot ace and the fact that he struggled in his first appearance? It's their job to ask those questions. Get over yourself. I don't think anybody is actually worried that Bedard's first 44 pitches of spring training are any indicator of the kind of year he's going to have. Nor do they have any relevance to his, yours, the media's, or the fans' expectations of Bedard.

You've got a lot more things to worry about besides reporters who dare ask the hard questions. For example, I could mention the fact that Mike Scoscia outmanaged the daylights out of you last year. I could mention that your bullpen management was suspect at best. I could mention that you undying loyalty to the veteran players hurt the team last year (luckily for you, you don't have Adam Jones to worry about anymore, right?). I could mention the fact that your plan to be more aggressive on the bases doesn't really match up with the physical capabilities of anyone on the squad not named Ichiro, Yuniesky, Adrian, or Willie.

But I digress. Go ahead and waste your time mitching and boaning about insignificant questions regarding 44 pitches. Nice to see you have your ducks in a row.

This is exactly why Mariner Nation has so much confidence in you.

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

9:23 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Wauupwaydown-Jose asked the questions any reporter in any MLB city would ask. I don't understand fans that question what reporters ask players and managers when the questions focus on the game of baseball. In fact, I'd expect even tougher questions from the East Coast media.

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

9:29 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Is that you Mclaren? Sorry you are so s-e-n-s-i-t-i-v-e.

Posted by Pete

9:31 AM, Mar 01, 2008

I agree with McLaren... and I never do that.

To insinuate that any of the first several outings for any pitcher mean anything at all is ridiculous.

These first several starts are absolutely and utterly meaningless, and I don't blame McLaren if reporters exhibit no perspective, and look for a story where there isn't one. Because that's what it is... it's making up a story where one doesn't exist.

However, one thing we should remember before crucifying writers -- they rarely write the headlines. So don't blame Jose for the headline.

9:40 AM, Mar 01, 2008

My opinion, for what it's worth, here, Jose (I'd hazard a guess at about 2 and a half cents, given inflation...):

I understand that the reporter(s) isn't (aren't) supposed to be part of the story, but when you include a quote from Mac that ends with "for God's sake," and then say he sounds defensive, in my view you're distorting the story by not including at least a cursory description of the barrage of obnoxious, stupid, and semi-hysterical "what's wrong with Bedard?" questions he was no doubt responding to.

I see the same sort of distortion all the time. Obviously the naughty quoted ones are reacting to something.

Hmmmm... what might that be???

To not include that "something" is by definition to not tell the whole story, and therefore, to distort their reaction. The quotes are taken out of their context.

In general, in your future career as a journalist, I ask humbly that you please try to be part of the solution, rather than part of the problem. Even in the surreal, unreal, faux world of sports, you bear a semi-sacred responsibility, in my view, as a card-carrying member of the Third Estate.

Writers never write headlines.

For those of you boldly stating this-and that sbout the questions (yeah, I'm talkin' to you, Resin), I'd like to know what exactly was your source?

Posted by LAMariner

9:41 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Jose, don't back off. Mac had better get used to the scrutiny. Big decisions were made this winter to re-shuffle the roster to be a winner. That's what we expect and we'll be intently watching every twitch made by the team.

Isn't that what Mariner Management wanted?

Posted by AKMarinersFan

9:43 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Jose - any truth to Lee Elia helping McLaren with media relations? Good job keep asking tough questions!

9:47 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Adam--I'm glad to hear you are the spokesman for Mariners Nation.

Because, ya know, it's such a unified organization--behind your views, of course.

But gotta love "mitching and boaning." If nothing else.

9:50 AM, Mar 01, 2008

"Sox" is plural.

Posted by Pete

9:52 AM, Mar 01, 2008

I actually think "...leave it the F alone" is a perfect way to say it.

He's right, it bugs me when the media over-covers stuff like this. It think it's irresponsible to write stuff that lacks perspective (not saying Jose necessarily did that, but the media in general). To treat an early spring training start with any weight at all is wrong. The coverage should be proportional to the actual significance of the performance.

Opening Day at Safeco Field -- lots of coverage; many details.

First start of spring, when, in effect, the pitcher is basically warming up his arm -- very little coverage; no need for many details; and NO NEED for questions about the pitchers effectiveness, other than "The fact that Erik gave up three runs is inconsequential, right?" But even then, why ask?

As a fan, I don't care if Bedard is effective in his first several starts. And if you're a fan who does, you are wasting your time, because the pitchers are just making sure there arm is in order. They aren't even throwing at 90% effort.

If Felix gives up 10 runs today, we shouldn't even bat an eyelash. Seriously.

If his arm falls off, or an opponent charges the mound and kicks him in the knee, by all means, freak out.

Posted by PayClayBennett

9:53 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Wish I was Mac - but sorry. I'm a fan, who like I said, was against the trade and you don't judge anyone on their first spring start - period. You people are amazing.....textually jerking off all off-season, now you get the pitcher you want and you ride his ass on day 1. Chump fans is what you are. Mac will get used to the scrutiny - when the games f'ing matter. Spring is practice - what about that do you not realize. When a regular season games ends up 19-14 - what do the announcers say? "This was like a spring training game"....spring is spring - all of you riding Mac and Bedard are truly uninformed. I suppose if Beckett doesn't go scoreless in his first outing, he should be ripped up too, huh? Seriously, they have spring training for a reason - get over it.

Why don't you'all spend some time riding Clay Bennett and try keeping the Sonics in town instead of your diarrhea text about Bedard's first start - which they won by the way (like it matters). Seriously - understand what spring is and take the stats with a grain of salt.

9:57 AM, Mar 01, 2008

"hard" questions?

Try "stupid."

Resin, please correct me, since you were obviously present and privy to the entire news conference:

"Mac, can you explain why Bedard gave up three runs in two innings and how exactly that justifies the M's sacrifice?"

"Mac, will you please tell us how we can expect a gazillion.43 ERA to save the M's bacon?"

"Mac, I don't mean to thump a barely twitching equine that was never really living, but can you please tell us why Bedard sucks and what exactly you intend to do to get him straight?"

10:02 AM, Mar 01, 2008

"burning out"????

dude...

And, o yeah, welcome to the bling, Jose, and thanks. (Seriously--I had to go on a lil' work trip yesterday or I woulda passed along my regards then.)

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

10:05 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Merrill-this is the question that Jose asked....."Anyway, I asked McLaren a question about wanting to see his new pitchers throw all their pitches, as he saw with Bedard. I didn't need to be be "privy" or "present", just re-read the post Romero posted above. It's quite clear Mac was still upset about answering to the media about Bedard. The question Jose Romero asked was a reasonable and without any bias or malice. Mclaren had break down with expletives and some fans are moaning and crying over why a "standard MLB reporter question" was asked.

10:08 AM, Mar 01, 2008

PayClay--

Howard "don't quite have enough money yet" Shultz is the evil one here, not Clay "I cannot tell a lie" Bennett.

10:15 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Resin, that's nonsense. If you seriously think Mac blew a fuse or said "...for God's sake" in response to that question, then you need to hire someone to reassess your retirement strategy.

Obviously an exasperated "...for God's sake" answer is in response to a veritable cornucopia of bizarre, unbalanced, and thoughtless questions.

I gave some extreme examples above, but I doubt the real ones were much different. Haven't you ever watched a real press conference? I'm not just blowin' smoke out of me arse here. I've witnessed the annoying folly.

Posted by diderot

10:20 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Merrill,
'Socks' is plural.
In baseball terminology, 'Sox' is singular...Red or White. Always has been.
Manny is a 'Red Sox', not a 'Red Sock'.

Posted by wayupwaydown

10:22 AM, Mar 01, 2008

resin,

Where in my post did I talk about Jose's questions? Did you even read what I wrote?

I discussed the tone of the article he wrote.

Talk about making things up to suit your arguements.

Posted by JP

10:25 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Isn't part of Mac's job to stick up for his players when he feels they need some attention diverted from them? I think that Mac was taking some of the unecessary attention off of the media shy Bedard.

I would hardly call it losing his cool, or over-reacting. I commend him for standing up for Bedard and telling the media to, in essence, back off. But, you cant fault the media for doing their job... so don't faul Mac for doing his.

Posted by PayClayBennett

10:29 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Resin - I think Mac was making a point about the fact that he and Erik were ripped up yesterday and I don't think Mac sees it beneficial when Bedard is all up tight mentally because of the barrage of stupid questions thrown their way. What he would probably like to see is the reporting be objective in relation to goals of spring training. Bedard threw 31 strikes in 44 pitches - chances are he'll eventually find his spots and some of those hits will be outs.

Bottom line is it was the first time out man. To insinuate this start will be indicative of Erik Bedard's season is asinine - and that's the way both Erik and Mac felt after the questioning. Call it sensitivity, call it whatever you want, but Mac took his opportunity to let the reporters know how he felt and that is that. Based on the questions, he probably thought he was being interviewed by a 4th grader with no game knowledge - that's how I saw it. Jose's question wasn't anything but a catalyst to Mac telling it how it is. If you have never been to spring training - you may not quite understand the atmosphere. In my opinion, the questions of Bedard and Mac after the game were out of line with the purpose of spring training.

10:32 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Diderot, in baseball terminology, "the Red Sox" are more than one player. Manny is indeed a member of the "Red Sox," but he is not a "Red Sox." That is as silly as saying he is a "Red Sock."

How many pants do you wear? Shoes? (Hint: the answer is "one pair"--but wait, isn't that self-contradictory? Well, yes, and if English was easy, I wouldn't have a job.)

"Sox" is a goofy jazzed-up way of spelling "Socks." It's not a real word. Look it up. Then say them both out loud to yourself. Listen while you do that. Do they sound at all alike?

Arguing grammar with me is like arguing baseball with scrapiron or Geoff. You may disagree, but the chance of being wrong in that case is quite high.

Posted by PayClayBennett

10:33 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Merrill - Schultz doesn't own the team any longer and is not the one trying to move them - what good would fighting Schultz do? Schultz knows he's a piece of s*&*, that's why you do see his face around much anymore.

Go M's - Stay Supes. And a quick P.S. Josh Brown is a dips&*^. Enjoy St. Louis buddy.

Posted by diderot

10:34 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Jose's job: sell newspapers. Like most dailies, the Times needs all the help it can get, and controversy works.
McLaren's job: bring the team together. Few tactics work better than attacking the media.
The dance is just beginning...

Posted by diderot

10:39 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Merrill,
You're making the obvious mistake of confusing baseball grammar with grammar.
Ichiro may have flied out in the fifth...but have you ever heard anyone say they 'flied to LA yesterday'?
Or, if you like the term 'RBIs', then you must certainly ask how many 'run batted ins' you think Ichiro will have this year.
I admit the Socks/Sox thing doesn't sound right...but it's baseball lore. Beleive me, I have more experience on this point than you do.

Posted by PayClayBennett

10:44 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Arm wrestle over it - Diderot and Merrill - right now.

Posted by downinthegroove

10:47 AM, Mar 01, 2008

We have a minor league manager trying to handle big league problems. He should expect to answer these questions. Those that quickly show AJones struggled by posting links should be accountable to the fact that Bedard struggled.

This was a huge trade to win now and those that don't think everyone will be gone or should be without a winning season (i.e. playoffs) is not seeing clearly. We made a move to win now. No room for error and they set themselves up for scrutiny from day one.

This is going to be a long season. And those writers have to ask those questions or why the hell are the papers wasting the money to send them out there?

Here's a question for Bavasi: "Bill, how do you plan on affording Bedard, Felix, and Morrow when contracts are due? Especially if you have to overpay for HoRam, Bautista and Washburn?"

Mac is in over his head and hoping to gawd that the experience around him will bail him out. If this is rough then I hope he walks around NY with his hand over his wallet and his eyes staring at the ground!!

Posted by PayClayBennett

10:56 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Affording them without Washburn, Beltre and Sexson will be asy Groove.

As far as Mac in over his head - how? And he does have good people all around him - so that comment is a little unwarranted. It's no secret Bedard is a media pansy - Mac is going to do what needs to be done to deflect this stuff away from him.

Wow - one game and already we can tell how the whole season is going to be. Mac is a puss with no tolerance, Bedard is going to have a HoRam ERA and Washburn record. Puff a bowl people - seriously. I hope Felix gets lit today - can't wait to read those goodies.

Posted by Big Will

11:03 AM, Mar 01, 2008

I have to agree with Mac and many others. No one was groaning yesterday. Articles like yesterdays only feed the idea that we have horrible baseball fans here. it was simply put the first day of spring. These guys have one job and that is to get ready. Stretch out their arms, work on location and volocity, and the like. The rest of your article was fine but the whole groaning thing was a bad approach. You set a bad tone and many folks wouls stop at the first few sentences.

11:19 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Diderot, those are good points. Nevertheless, Manny is a member of the Red Sox, not a Red Sox. In all my years of beating naughty children, I have never heard an individual member of either the White or Red Sox called "a Red Sox."

However, PayClay's suggestion of an arm-wrestling solution is interesting. Since I am weak and lame, may I suggest instead a best-4-of-7 rock-paper-scissors extravaganza? Or a cockfight between my 12-piece bucket of KFC and yours?

PayClay, also good points about Our Man Howie. However, I suggest we can't really blame Clay for doing what he intended to do all along and lying about it, as he intended all along to do.

We can, however, blame Howard "Five-Year Plan" Shultz for selling the Sonics for more than their at-the-time-agreed-upon-market-value to an out-of-town consortium from a city lusting after a team, which obviously (let's assume Howie is smart enough to run a billion-dollar, successful business) means to move them (not "it," Diderot) to a city lusting after a team.

(Step One is the Five-Year Plan should have been firing Wally, but I digress...)

11:24 AM, Mar 01, 2008

O, yeah, Pay Clay--Since we're straying into The MOther of All Digressions, Huzzah! on your Brown call. He got an extra 200,000 bucks over 5-25 years to go to a losing, unstable team??? Good call, there, Josh, and good riddance. (And, Dammmit!)

Posted by downinthegroove

11:26 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Ok. I am buying. So you remove those contracts off of the books and throw in Ibanez. If we have 60 mil tied up in 3 pitchers and thats before Morrow is really free for a big contract where is the rest of the money going to fill all of those holes? Obviously we need hitters so do we go with 3 pitchers and a terribly thin line-up? Yeah easy.

Get off this hole one game and you all are panicking kick, it's a excuse. This franchise is set up to be questioned because of what they have done. Any team with this payroll and making these type of trades is going to be scrutinized. He needs to get over himself.

Bedard is a grown man making millions a year. He can be an adult and talk to people. Mac's stats last year and his lack of experience as a manager show he is over his head. He is not going to be afforded a learning year thanks to Bavasi making this a win now year.

I want tough questions asked all year long. After every game. It's only fair and happens in every other aspect of life. Mac needs to get over it because how is he going to answer questions after the first five or 8 game skid?

Posted by Adam

11:34 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Merrill - You are right, I shouldn't have been so presumptuous. It's just that I have never honestly seen one person say McLaren is a good manager.

11:35 AM, Mar 01, 2008

"tough questions," downie, are not the same as "repetitive and amazingly frickin' stupid questions designed primarily either to avoid thinking or learning, or to provoke a controversial response."

Posted by downinthegroove

11:40 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Then how is he going to act after some "tough questions?"

What else should they ask?

And after Washburn stated he threw only fastballs that was a legit question...Thank god he is in Seattle!!

Santana got raked yesterday and Randolph handled those questions well but that pitcher also has a couple of CY's under his belt....But nonetheless the q's were answered professionally.

And I thought the only dumb question was the unasked one...

Posted by Adam

11:44 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Just for the record, I in no way believe Bedard is going to struggle because he had an off day yesterday.

ST is almost irrelevant. Bedard will be very good for us if healthy.

Posted by Adam

11:45 AM, Mar 01, 2008

Hey Merrill,

Have you actually seen the questions?

I really doubt they were even the least bit critical, unless they are along the lines of: "John, Bedard was really horrible today; do you think he's going to struggle this year?"

Posted by AlMartinUSC

11:50 AM, Mar 01, 2008

You dumba$$e$. Jonny Mac is simply sticking up for his team...and his stud #1 starting pitcher. He's building camaraderie by showing the guys he's willing to go to war for them.
Lighten the he!! up, will yas?

12:00 PM, Mar 01, 2008

Adam--Me neither. Nevertheless...

Downie, there are a lot of dumb questions. I listed a few above. As a teacher, I want my students to figure things out that are obvious, rather than ask stupid questions.

In other words, I want them to begin to learn to look and observe and think for themselves, not depend on others, or manipulate others, to do their thinking and observing for them.

So, yes, that dumb cliche is obviously a dumb cliche.

And as regards this situation, I can only guess that you and I are imagining entirely different scenarios. My scenario can perhaps be illustrated with, appropriately enough, a couple of questions:

What, exactly, do you imagine the "tough questions" to be in this situation?

I've given some slightly exaggerated examples of my imaginary "stupid questions."

Slightly.

And:

How many different arithmetic sentences end up in the answer "1"?

Adam, as I pointed out several times above (in this post and in others by implication), no one among us knows exactly what the questions were. I'm assuming Mac isn't a complete idiot and had a reason for reacting the way he did.

I think it's a safe assumption, given the press conferences and interviews I've witnessed over the years. Could be wrong, though. If so, heaven help the M's, cause Mac can't. (And, just to be on record, I have some confidence in Mac. Maybe not as much as I do in Joe Torre, but hey.)

12:22 PM, Mar 01, 2008

Adam, the first part of my post was referring to your 11:34 post, the last part to your 11:45 post.

I'm 15 hours in y'all's future, so it's 3:20 am Sunday morning here.

Sorry to bogart the last word, but I've got to get my sad sack of a tired fat arse in bed.

It's been fun, guys; thanks. G'nite, everyone. Have a great day back there in the past.

Posted by downinthegroove

12:25 PM, Mar 01, 2008

That's great for students and I am glad you are trying to do something as a teacher. But, I am neither your student nor needing a teacher to tell me what I should ask or think. That time has come and gone. But honestly...Who cares?

The point is there are going to be questions whether or not you deem them stupid that Mac is going to have to answer. If he cannot hold his composure now then what are we going to get in stressful times.

I think it is apparent already that this is going to be a stressful spring, stressful season and I pity da foo' who can't see that! He needs to pop a couple of centrum silver and relax....Like I said...That was only day one of questions!!

What's he gonna do when he blows a game and has to ask those q's? And don't compare your years of experience watching interviews...

We all know how Piniella was and is in a interview so that's not a comparison!

Oh yes. I want to see our 2009/10 payroll!!

Posted by Bum Knee McGee

12:36 PM, Mar 01, 2008

Merrill, the best advice I've ever received in my life came from a teacher. He said: "Never ASSUME Anything"!

Posted by diderot

2:24 PM, Mar 01, 2008

Merrill,
In case you're checking this when you wake up, believe me, I have LONG since passed the time of physical means to settle disagreements.
On the 'Sox' issue, while I agree with you from a purely grammatical standpoint, having grown up surrounded by White Sox fans in Chicago, I can at least attest that colloquially, and individual player on the south side has always been a 'White Sox'.
On the interview point, I agree that anyone who tries to project either Bedard's performance or McLaren's composure this year based on game one of spring training is simply trying to support a preconceived notion based on miniscule sample size.

Posted by Big Rock

2:39 PM, Mar 01, 2008

How Silly.

Posted by Rumblewolf

3:06 PM, Mar 01, 2008

I love it when remedial baseball nerds try to act intellectual. Some dufus, supra, referred to the press as the "Third Estate." That was bad enough, but worse is the fact that no one had the intelligence to recognize the error, or they surely would have pointed it out, as they always do. A couple of guys in here fancy themselves grammaticians, but they pose; it is best to leave such matters to the real experts, like me. Dig?

Posted by PRChef

9:56 AM, Mar 02, 2008

Kudos to Mac for showing some cojones right away...
I hope this is a season long trend

Posted by shortbus

10:20 AM, Mar 03, 2008

I hate to say it bug Mac was actually right for once. Today he's talking about playing Vidro in the field...something you expect to hear coming from that guy who plays tuba in front of the stadium. But he's right to be PO'd about the coverage of Bedard's first start, and the unnecessary ciriticism came not just in Geoff's article.

Pitchers work on all kinds of things during Spring to get ready that they wouldn't do in a real game. About the only stat I look at in the box score is walks. A pitcher that isn't throwing strikes with whatever it is he's working on, isn't doing very well. But for the first game I even throw that out the window.

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-19

Love this cartoon

Nah, on second thought

Same as it ever was

Game thread, Mariners vs. White Sox, 8-18

Despite $263K starting price, Rolls-Royce sales soar globallynew
They are rolling symbols of wealth and excess, starting at $263,000 a pop, with most buyers choosing custom options that can easily double that price....