February 20, 2008 4:58 PM

State of Ichiro address

Posted by Geoff Baker

Bedard 149.jpg

This is one of the more popular media events of spring training. The day Ichiro steps in front of a microphone for the first time. At least it's not boring, like some of those Presidential State of the Union things. Last year's was downright sensational, with Ichiro questioning the team's will to move forward (translate: win) and hinting he may head elsewhere as a free agent.

Not this time around. The clothes are a lot more subdued than he was wearing a year ago, when he donned a pink shirt and knit cap. Yes, those Levi's he's now wearing are designer fashion -- designed by him no less, as part of some deal he has with the jeanmaker. You can't really see his shoes, but I can tell you they looked like he wandered through a kindergarten fingerpainting class and got a bunch of stuff accidentally spilled on them. I'm sure they cost thousands.

Anyway, his clothes weren't the only thing toned down. The rhetoric from a year ago (or was it an accurate depiction?) about the team's direction has done an about-face. Seattle's recent trade for starting pitcher Erik Bedard helped cement that opinion.

"We made a big trade, something that is the biggest of my career with the Seattle Mariners," Ichiro said through interpreter Ken Baron. "What I mean by that is, it was a trade in which we didn't try to avoid risk. To gain power, sometimes you have to take a big risk. And I think the Mariners showed that by making that move."

Guess he's in the pro-trade camp, huh?

He added more about the organization as a whole "coming together" in a common cause. This seems to be code-speak for the team acting like it wants to win. You be the judge.

"By 'coming together' I don't mean that strictly by the coaches and the players," he said. "But just the whole organization coming together. I'm not saying that just because of the moves we made. But the feelings that were behind the moves. The motivations behind the moves.''

Bedard 150.jpg

At least he seems happy. As happy as he can be, having just faced the swarm of Japanese media on-hand to greet him. He did the broadcast folks first, as you see, then the crowd of print reporters from Japan in behind them. Us folks from North America were waiting off to the side in golf carts. After, we drove off and shot a round. No, no, I'm only kidding. No golf allowed on the baseball fields.

Ichiro seemed to be joking when we asked him about newcomer Brad Wilkerson in right field and Raul Ibanez in left. Ichiro said he found this to be a good arrangement based on what he's seen from the two.

"If the other corner outfielders have too much speed and too much ability and try to do too much, it's hard for me,'' he said.

We'll assume that's just a nice way of saying he doesn't expect any running collisions or serious miscommunication.

But let's not try to dissect every word. He's happy. A year ago -- and tens of millions of dollars ago -- he wasn't sounding happy. So, everyone's happy. As for needing to take a more vocal leadership role, he cautioned that there is more than one way to go about it.

"I think there are many ways to be a good leader," he said. "One person might be good at leading vocal...the other person might be someone who doesn't say anything, but leads by example.''

Above all, he said, a good leader must take care of his own business first.

"Because if you say something, but you're not doing it yourself, you're not a good leader.''

Will he be more vocal? Who knows. Can't tell from what he said today. My feeling is he will be, but maybe not to the extent some folks expect. Time for me to head off. I'll leave you with one more shot of Ichiro, telling it like he sees it.

Bedard 148.jpg

Posted by oregongal

5:30 PM, Feb 20, 2008

I really am disappointed with you, Geoff. No close-up of the shoes?

Wouldn't it be nice if he got his championship this year?

Posted by NB

6:22 PM, Feb 20, 2008

I love Ichiro so much. He is the Obi-Wan Kenobi of baseball.

Posted by Zach C

7:07 PM, Feb 20, 2008

some of the things written towards Niehaus in yesterday's threads were in poor taste and I take it personally. It really urks me when some dude tries to analyze one of the greatest vioces in baseball history or tries to jab at something; it's uncalled for. I don't care who you've heard they don't have anything on our man behind the mic. Would you fault any legend for striking out or throwing a bad pitch? Would you really try to analyze ted williams' swing? -Show some respect, Dave is Mariner baseball; it's his booth; those are his airwaves; and this is his team. No one else has given more to our team and no one will...ever. He will be the first in the Hall and that's how it should be. He taught me how to love this game (and millions more have hung on his words just like I have), he made Jr, Edgar, and most of all the BONE Gods in my eyes as well. It wasn't the players in 95 or 01 (or any year) that were great, his voice made them great, his voice tells the story, he is baseball to me. If Dave was never a mariner, I know I wouldn't be. and if I had it my way, no game would be played without neihaus behind that microphone...

save your criticism, there's no place for it

Posted by A-Lo

7:51 PM, Feb 20, 2008

Thank God Ichiro can play baseball because his fashion sense is absolutely horrible.....

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

8:13 PM, Feb 20, 2008

Geoff-can you ask Ichiro if by not running to first base on the passed ball/dropped third strike if this is his idea of leadership by example. Or is it his excuse for not diving for a ball or running down a catcher for fear of injury. Ichiro is on record stating his value to the team being healthy is more important than hustling.

There's no "I"chiro in team. I bet Lord Suzuki's arrival changed the entire mood of spring training.

Posted by pcbh16

8:23 PM, Feb 20, 2008

Well put zach, I completely agree. Niehaus as a boy growing up who is now a man is someone I can't imagine not hearing.

Posted by bikeman

8:30 PM, Feb 20, 2008

Geoff,

Ichiro was given a goal to steal more bases. Will the other players be taking larger leads, or more chances in spring training? Has McLaren mentioned more bunting or hit-and-running?

Posted by dart93

8:41 PM, Feb 20, 2008

Resin isn't cheating
I think you're misguided to say Ichiro doesn't hustle and doesn't play to win. Have you ever seen him run down the first baseline to get an infield hit? That is pure hustle.
As for your contention that he doesn't run to first on a passed ball or doesn't dive for balls, I don't think you're right on those comments. Do you have examples?
Ichiro is a perennial gold glove winner. You don't get those sort of awards by being lazy in the outfield. The truth of the matter is that he is such a great athlete that he makes the hard plays look easy and I think you are mistaking his great physical ability for "laziness."
THe last 4 years, Ichiro has played 161, 162, 161 and 161 games. That is simply outstanding and is not an easy thing to do. This indicates that Ichiro often plays hurt (everyone is going to have nagging injuries/pains during a long season) and you never hear him complain. To me, that is the ultimate example of leading by example. And this is why Ichiro is Mr. Mariner and a Seattle icon.

Posted by drlo

9:08 PM, Feb 20, 2008

"Would you really try to analyze ted williams' swing?"

Of course one would. People, including Ted himself until his passing, have been doing it for 70 years.

But the Ted Williams non-sequitor is curiously apt. Ted had the sense to retire when he wasn't able to play to his very high standards. Niehaus, unfortunately, continues to do play-by-play even though his performance has clearly dropped over the past 5 years. Is Niehaus a legend? Yes. Does he deserve full credit for all he has done for Mariners baseball over the past 30 years? Absolutely. Should he continue to have a role in Mariners broadcasts? Of course. But is he delivering a high-quality product as play-by-play announcer, up to his own standards of 10 years ago? Obviously not. To put it in a SABR sort of context, he has been well below replacement value for several years now. Even "legends" like Mays and Aaron got moved along when they had reached that point in SF and Atlanta.

Posted by NB

9:19 PM, Feb 20, 2008

Resin,

Your long standing vendetta against Ichiro is pathetic. The man is a Hall of Famer and one of the three or four best players to ever put on a Mariner uniform. He's also exactly right. It IS more important for him to stay healthy than to crash into walls at every opportunity. What you call "not hustling" I call playing smart. Not too mention that he's one of the funniest quotes of all time.

Posted by Merrill

9:36 PM, Feb 20, 2008

Hey, Oregongal, and everyone, I noticed for the first time that you can click on the pix and get a pic-only version of the page that gives you a "+" option. Then you can get a look at those shoes in the second pic. hee hee...

Chris, for a true "Merrill-sized post," you need to fill up all that white space with random keystrokes and/or speculative/argumentative blathering...

...and, from the last thread, it looks as though Griffey24's comments about Ichiro and Guerrero were deleted. Synopsis, anyone? From people's responses, they looked innocuous enough. Strange...

A final observation: It's always surprising to me how people's preconceptions affect their interpretation of events. And their willingness, or lack thereof, to honestly consider all the evidence, all the arguments, and remove their ego from their equation. Anyone who's studied mass communication might remember the term "cognitive dissonance."

This is the ability or tendency of people to white-noise evidence that doesn't fit with their preconceptions. People would generally rather hold on to mistaken beliefs than change their minds--or at least enhance them--in the face of contrary evidence.

The latest example here has been the reaction to the PI Sexson story. I saw a few people posting about what a "whiner" and "loser" he was, but I saw nothing like that in his comments. Yeah, of course fans in NY are worse, but I agree with the posters who said they would only boo a Mariner for lack of effort.

Anyone who's ever played sports should understand that.

Posted by Merrill

9:43 PM, Feb 20, 2008

O yeah: Clapper-of-Canberra,

I'm a pro-trade guy, and I gave heartfelt thanks to the baseball gods when we "failed" to get Schmidt and Zito.

Resin, to "cherry pick" an example, what, exactly, is Chris Snelling's value to any team? I understand your opinion about diving in the outfield but I think Ichiro's right to value his day-to-day presence over one possible out.

Posted by oregongal

10:10 PM, Feb 20, 2008

Thanks, Merrill. I love all things Ichiro when it comes to baseball and quotes, but his fashion sense just leaves me wondering....

NB and dart, great summary of Ichiro. I want him out there every day and I'd be happy if a few of his teammates hustled out infield slaps with as much consistency.

Posted by Donovan

11:50 PM, Feb 20, 2008

Put me in the camp who are glad that Ichiro has never pulled a Jeremy Reed or Ken Griffey Jr. and left his team in the lurch by slamming unnecessarily into a wall. No catch is worth that. Not that he misses many balls reachable by humans as it is.

Ichiro is different, stylistically, in his approach, in his execution. He doesn't look like other great outfielders or hitters. Some people find that appealing and some clearly don't. To question his dedication or level of effort is just stupid, however. He almost never has mental lapses, and nobody in baseball squeezes as much of their full potential out night after night after night. Every inside observer of the team (including Geoff) has commented on his relentless work ethic and preparation. When other guys are goofing, he's stretching or working out. From what I've read, the same is true of his off season conditioning. It is no accident that he plays every game and has never been on the DL. He's also pretty cerebral for a ball player. Have you ever checked out the videos of "Ichiro Versus", the Q&A based game show he hosts in Japan, where he matches wits with celebrity guests? It is pretty entertaining stuff. Here's a link to a Times article from last year with a YouTube pointer. I'm sure you can google others. It's a far cry from John Kruk and the boys on Fox.

I think his style throws some observers for a loop. The popular image of an athlete going all out is more of a raw, testosterone-charged rush than a surgical precision maneuver. I'll take Ichiro's discipline and control over raw emotion and adrenaline any day, but mostly I'll take his performance and consistency. I find his fashion sense amusing, but not something I'm keen to emulate.

Posted by thewyrm

3:27 AM, Feb 21, 2008

Resin- I have to disagree with you 100%. I would much, much rather have a centerfielder who misses the occasional out than one who would risk an injury to himself just to make one. If Ichiro! gets hurt, our season is over. We simply cannot replace him in any way.

Also, the reason it looks like he does not hustle, is because he makes difficult plays look like routine. He doesn't dive because before the ball has even been hit he has positioned himself to be able to run and catch on the fly.

Other than junior in his prime, Ichiro! is the best outfielder the Mariners organization has ever had.

Posted by Number One Son

6:28 AM, Feb 21, 2008

Never seen Ichiro crash into the outfield wall, but I have seen him scale it like a human fly. That's all the highlight reel I'll ever need.

Posted by benihana

6:35 AM, Feb 21, 2008

anyone else notice the Peter Gammons sighting in the video?

Posted by Ziasudra

7:33 AM, Feb 21, 2008

To Zach Z (7:07pm):
You folks are all remembering the glory years of the 90's - the team was exciting, etc. I wasn't here. I referred to the 60's in Anaheim, when the A's (my team at the time) were boring, as was Dave. When Engberg took the mike after Dave, the team was still just as poor on the field, but Dick had the ability to excite the fans over a poor team, and the attendance doubled in the next 2 years with no improvement on the field.
When I got to Seattle in '80, Dave was just as boring. I left in '88, returned in '98 and when I made a disparaging remark to my son about Dave, he replied he liked him - so I listened, and as I said, Dave had improved, especially wrt to enthusiasm. End of story.
But I won't listen to him when he does TV.

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

8:21 AM, Feb 21, 2008

I never stated anyone's opinion about Ichiro is wrong. Among the glowing God-like praise of Ichiro I wanted to have at least one opposing opinion. I have watched Ichiro since he arrived in Seattle.

If my teammate slowed down and then stopped just to avoid running down the catcher, I'd be letdown and angry. If my teammate only showed hustle when he pads his batting average with infield hits, I'd be angry. If my teammate slowed down and decided to allow a ball to fall in instead of being aggressive in a crucial moment in the game, I'd be let down. If my teammate criticized everyone's fundamentals in the game, and he refused to advance to first on a passed/dropped third strike, I'd think the teammate needs to shut his mouth. All these things aren't examples of leadership in my opinion. I realize many fans worship Ichiro, but if you look at it in a player's perspective you will see what I'm saying. It has nothing to do with hate as NB incorrectly stated above.

In fact, the great Ichiro shouldn't be considered an elite hitter. Bonds-1.051, Pujols-1.040, Manny Ramirez-1.002, Frank Thomas-.982, Thome-.974, Berkman-.971, Guerrero-.970, A-Rod-.967, 50+ players later.......Ichiro-.816. You can twist it around and say currently among CF'ers (a position he has recently been playing in his career)that Ichiro ranks high, but a career .816 OPS isn't elite no matter how you spin it.

Posted by I.C. M's Fan

8:23 AM, Feb 21, 2008

I must say I listened to Dave from 89 to 93 and always loved his enthusiasm. Never heard anyone who could make the game come alive the way he can. I did hear Caray near the end of his career and didn't think he held a candle to Dave.

I have heard other announcers since. Some I thought were decent. None reached Dave's level.

Just my $.02.

Posted by NB

9:06 AM, Feb 21, 2008

Resin,

If you have access to the M's clubhouse and know of guys on the team dislike Ichiro than I would love to hear it. If not your narrow view of what comprises leadership is simply that.

I never said you hated Ichiro. I said you had a vendetta against him. You took a positive article Goeff wrote about Ichiro's excitement for the upcoming year and put a negative, sarcastic slant on it. Something that we all do about things we don't like (ahem, Jose Vidro). But as someone who "worships" Ichiro I will defend what I view as baseless attacks against things that we really know nothing about outside of the occasional clubhouse quote from Goeff. Leadership skills fall into that category for me.

Also, congratulations, you've identified that Ichiro doesn't hit for power. Thus the low .OPS. Almost anyone will tell you that in order to get a well rounded view of a player's abilities it's important to look at all available data. To focus on one stat where Ichiro is lower than the elite (who btw the ones you cited are all either DH/1B or poor fielding corner outfielders. Sizemore and Beltran would be better examples for you to use) and claim that he isn't as good as those players is incomplete analysis to the nth degree. We must look at all metrics (.OPS, VORP, hits, BB%,etc.)Once all data has been considered we still must evaluate the other half of the player: his defense. Does he play a premium defensive position? Does he play it well? How do his offensive contributions compare to others at that premium defensive position? As defensive metrics are just infants at this point it is here that the professional scouting report holds some of the greatest value. I think you would agree that scouting remains important even in the age of blossoming statistical understanding right Resin? Then and only then should we consider "intangibles" such as "hustle", "leadership", etc. We consider these last because not only are they the hardest to measure but because no one really knows their value. They are by their very definition impossible to weigh for comparison to others.

Whew that was a rant. I get riled up when I defend Ichiro because he is my favorite Mariner since A-rod left.

Ichiro is still the best position player on this team. He will be until he either declines or Carlos Triunfel becomes an absolute offensive stud. Go Ichiro and Go M's.

Posted by Chris from Bothell

9:36 AM, Feb 21, 2008

Resin - Name 3 center fielders in the game, with better or equal defense to Ichiro, better or equal at effectiveness in the leadoff hitters' role, who also have the hustle you're describing. I'm not putting that out there rhetorically; I'm honestly interested to know who you have in mind. Throw right fielders in there too, if you want to compare to right fielders.

And I think the point - that Ichiro himself has made on his views on leadership - is that every player on the team should be playing to their own maximum intensity, within their own style of play. Not every player can or should be diving, crashing, running full bore, etc. But they should be thinking about every play and every game and their pre- and post- game workouts. And they should be getting the most out of themselves. I'm willing to bet that Ichiro's approach to the game, while not as hard-nosed and all-out as you're describing, may very well keep Ichiro IN the game well into his early 40s. If, when he figures out that his speed-based skills are in decline, he converts to hitting for power instead of average, he might even keep himself in the game into his MID-40s, who knows.

Do I want him to be a more visibly vocal leader? Yes. As I said the other day, I wish the Ichiro we saw at the WBC a couple years ago would be visible on the bench and in the press. But that's about the only place where I expect Ichiro to conform more to others' expectations of what a ballplayer is. In every other respect, I think he's got it right and is setting a good example.

Merrill - I don't have enough blather in me to match you blather for blather. ;) And being a communications major myself, I totally get what you were saying about Sexson. I think the simpler explanation is that there's no good response to it, no good way out for him, except to have an above-average year. If he says nothing, he's dodging it; if he refutes it, he's an idiot; if he tries to talk about how much it hurt, because he IS a human after all, then he's a whiner; and so on. Just as with PED accusations, there's no good response, except to prove with good performance and clean behavior over the long term.

One more bit, since I brought up PEDs - I think one of the only ways the steroid era will end, is when skill sets and achievements like Ichiro's get as much attention as the McGwire/Sosa home run chase did. Ichiro's single-season hits record, for example. (Though that was really only exciting to us, and more just a novelty bullet point on the ESPN crawl for a day or two... if Ichiro was playing for the Yankees or Red Sox you know it would have dominated the news for weeks, but that's another topic...) When appreciation and mass appeal of the game goes beyond power numbers and gets into, say, single-season steals record or hitting .400, perhaps that will be a turning point.

Posted by scrapiron

10:10 AM, Feb 21, 2008

Most hits in a season by any player, ever. 'nuff said.

What I want is for the Mariners to assemble a team that turns Ichiro's hits into runs. A solid #2 hitter that can lay down a bunt if Ichiro can't get a jump and steal, or can hit the ball to the right side of the field if he does steal. Two RBI machines at #3 and #4 that can drive Ichiro home with a hit or at least hit a deep fly for a sacrifice. Turn Ichiro's 250 hits into 250 runs. That would be hard to beat, night in and night out.

#3 and #4 seem to be a good fit for Ibanez and Beltre. I think the issue is trying to find the ideal #2 hitter. Vidro handles the bat the best, but can't bunt to save him. Lopez and Yuni can both bunt with speed, but need work on taking pitches and directional hitting.

Posted by Get Griffey

10:17 AM, Feb 21, 2008

Resin on your 8:21 post.

Are you an idiot? Not trying to be rude it just sliped out, but eveyone in the world knows Ichiro doesnít hit for power and you just now noticed? Do you know how many non power hitters are in the hall of Fame? I have an idea, letís pick some relevant stats for a non power guys and then maybe you would notice that he is Hall of Fame caliber.

Also I know you probably reject the avg. statistic all together because it is worthless, but he also is the NUMBER ONE courier avg. 333 in all of MLB and a pretty good fielder if youíre given to understatement.

I understand that you donít like his attitude but maybe you should learn a little more about his past before you say he doesnít try hard enough. In Japan the mind set and coulter there is aim for perfection.
Ichiro plays the game representing his countryís and familyís honor, which means far more to there then it does in this country. Dishonoring his family or country is unthinkable, he will always try his hardest and the pressure to succeed is enormous.

That is what drives him, and why he hits so well because that his the measure of success for Japan. Perfection with a bat means an avg. of 1000, homers or ops numbers mean little. The thinking is if you didnít get a hit you failed period.

That is the mind set of Ichiro, no hit means he could have done better and therefore he failed. I know there are many who donít agree with that but it is the way it is. So belittling the fact that he hits better that any one ells in MLB, not for power, not for homers or doubles or hi ops numbers, but just plain hitting, is a stupid thing to do.

Sorry about the long post, and have a nice day ^_^

Posted by joe

10:27 AM, Feb 21, 2008

First of all half of the players who dive for balls in the outfield, don't even need to. They dive so they can be on Web Gems. Ichiro is a gazelle, his unequaled speed gets him to many balls the top centefielders only dream of getting to. Secondly, Ichiro don't crash into walls, he climbs them.
I would like to see Ichiro steal more bases this year. Also I feel that he can get about 10 more hits a year if he attempted to bunt for hits more than he has recently. I recall when he first came up he bunted much more. He's a great bunter.

Posted by Donovan

10:29 AM, Feb 21, 2008

Chris - You hit on something there at the end of your post worth repeating. A large part of the appeal of Ichiro is that he does things the right way. Like all elite athletes, he has amazing natural ability, but he got to his current level through years of hard work, mental focus, and sacrifice. No shortcuts. He also has an inimitable style and elegance. There is nothing workmanlike or dull about his game.

I love watching Ichiro because he brings some balance to the modern game. Baseball is essentially a finesse sport. That's one thing that separates it from other major American sports, in my mind. Power is a good thing too, but this is not a brute force game. Agility, concentration, precision, and guile are more important than raw power. I think the modern emphasis on just bashing the ball has negatively impacted the beauty and quality of the game. Ichiro reminds us that there is a lot more to baseball than HRs. I'd rather watch him leg out a triple or even an infield hit than see some chemically-bloated freak lumber around the bases on a homerun trot any day.

Scrapiron - You nailed it. Ichiro brings everything offensively to the table that any reasonable fan could ask for. It's the other guys who need to pick up the intensity. This is a team sport that requires complementary skills from different players. That's the bottom line.

Posted by Get Griffey

10:32 AM, Feb 21, 2008

First to Resin , sorry about the idiot crack but I was pretty steamed, you have a right to think that way.

OK, something to add about his feature is once he slows down and gets older he has expressed a wish to pitch. This could be really cool like a reveres Babe Ruth.

Posted by Chris

11:08 AM, Feb 21, 2008

Why does Ichiro still have the need of an interpreter? They guy has lived in the United States 9 months a year for the better part of a decade. I was a newsroom intern in 2004 and visited the Mariners club house several times and I always heard Ichiro speak fine English.

Posted by Dart93

11:21 AM, Feb 21, 2008

Resin:
in your recent post, you alledge shortcomings in Ichiro's game, but you don't give any concrete examples. Without examples, they are simply unsubstantiated allegations and no one on this board believes what you are saying.

Also, you seem to equate being a good ballplayer with diving for balls and running into catchers. It seems like you equate a good ballplayer with how dirty his uniform is at the end of the game. The truth of the matter is that a good player is one who makes the plays. And in that regard, Ichiro is in an elite group. He makes catches that other outfielders do not make. And we all know about his ability to get on base and score runs.

Resin, I think your criticisms of Ichiro are misguided.

Posted by Get Griffey

11:41 AM, Feb 21, 2008

Chris

Ichiro uses an interpreter for all pres and media questions because he is proud and does not want the press to mistakenly construe his comments or a mistake on his part to insult or damage his honor or that of someone ells. One mistake in his English could lead to embarrassing consequences, so for any dealings with press he has his interpreter.

But talking with players he can handle just fine without help. Did you see the article about swapping Spanish and Japanese with Ibanez?
Very cool.

Posted by Karen

1:38 PM, Feb 21, 2008

Ichiro's shoes look like miniature NASCAR racing cars, complete with DayGlo scribbles that look like ads.

Posted by Griffey24

3:04 PM, Feb 21, 2008

Ichiro IS the ideal #2 hitter, folks. He handles the bat better than anyone, can lay down a bunt, and can get a base hit to drive in a leadoff hitter from 2nd in his sleep.

Give me a walk-machine with some speed (Jacoby Ellsbury, anyone?) in the leadoff spot and enjoy the 1-2 show.

Posted by Fg

3:22 PM, Feb 21, 2008

I think the shoes are of a brand that used to be very underground japanese design, BAPE, or Bathing Ape- it was created by another one named maestro-Nigo. He used to make one or two T shirts, a sweatshirt, and maybe a single pair of shoes with a particular style. He would then sell them in a wherehouse/sweatshop-and people would hear of it by word of mouth. They would wait in line for HOURS (I heard days when he was not a commercial brand but an 'art' brand as my epicurean friends say) just to get a crack at what was left. It has become really big in the Hip Hop scene and people pay thousands and thousands of dollars for a unique pair of BAPE sneakers. The reason why I say this is because he is known for the "Fingerpaint" style and bright colors. Watch a rap video (if you can stand it) and take a gander at the sneakers-they look similiar to Ichiro's. They also probably cost six months of my mortgage. Oh well.

Fg

Posted by Bork

4:35 PM, Feb 21, 2008

For all the complaining people are doing about Ichiro not diving for balls or putting himself in a situation in which he might becoming injured, what would you say if he dove into the wall, injured his shoulder and was out for a significant portion of the season? The way I see it, players have to find a delicate balance between giving it their all, and holding back so they don't get injured. I think Ichiro has done a great job of finding that balance; he really does the Mariners more good on the field than sitting in the dugout injured.

I have to admit, I am a little disappointed by his subdued outfit, though.

Posted by Get Griffey

9:29 PM, Feb 21, 2008

-Bork

LOL... Thats great ^_^

Posted by Get Griffey

9:35 PM, Feb 21, 2008

to clarify I was laughing at the funny last part of your post.

Totally agree about the injury stuff too.

Posted by disgusted

7:52 PM, Jun 05, 2008

No more long term contracts; pay for play! Time to clean house so get rid of management, all players except Ichiro, Hernandez & Morrow and dump all non-players in farm. Let it be known throughout the league "all these guys are available, what am I bid?" Time to set an example: You don't play, you are gone.

Jul 4, 08 - 03:16 PM