January 27, 2008 3:57 PM

Bedard-Jones deal going down

Posted by Geoff Baker

UPDATE (4:47 p.m.): I just spoke to Mariners spokesman Tim Hevly, who confirmed Jones has been called back to the U.S. Hevly said he could not comment further, which more or less tells us Jones is about to be dealt because major league clubs do not stiff winter league teams as badly as Seattle just did without a darned good reason. If Jones was hurt, the M's would say so. Anyway, Jones himself is saying what the M's won't. The winter league team's manager, none other than Luis Sojo, has also confirmed Jones is off to Baltimore for a physical.

Adam Jones has left his Venezuelan Winter League team and flies to Baltimore tomorrow morning to take a physical so he can be dealt to the Orioles in exchange for pitcher Erik Berdard. No word yet on how many players going Baltimore's way.

Jones did not mince words when he spoke to a reporter from Diario Panorama in Venezuela today. We have a relationship with the reporter and paper and they have graciously supplied us with quotes from the interview with Jones.

"I received a call from Seattle saying that is no more playing for me and I can't do anything about that,'' Jones said. "I leave tomorrow morning...It sucks. I want to play. This is Game 4 of the finals and I really want to be there for my team, but it's something that all the guys understand. I really want to play, but I can't."

On the actual deal itself: "(Bill Bavasi) called me yesterday and told me the news. I've got to go to Baltimore tomorrow morning and handle things there. I'm the centerpiece of the deal on the Mariners side. It's an honor to get traded for such a highly talented pitcher as Bedard is. He's one of the best. Last year he finished up as arguably one of the top candidates for the Cy Young. He's that good, so for me it's an honor. You know, I like Seattle, but if I am in Baltimore, as I think now I am, I'm going to embrace it and have the best time of my life in Major League Baseball."

I spoke to relief pitcher George Sherrill moments ago, and he insisted he had not heard from anyone that he had been included in a deal.

Sherrill took a routine exit physical after the season was over and recently had his contract extended by the Mariners without taking another one.

"I hope if I am part of it that somebody tells me before Wednesday because that's when we're supposed to head down to Phoenix,'' Sherrill said of his departure for spring training. "I spoke to John (McLaren) recently and I let him know that I want to be a Mariner for life. It's the team that plucked me out of the independent league and so I'll always have a spot in my heart for it and want to stay with the organization. But I know that rarely happens anymore."

That's all for now. We'll get you more details as they unfold. But I wanted to get this out to you ASAP. I'd expect a news conference of some sort by Tuesday, given the timetable of the Jones physical.

Posted by Chuck

4:21 PM, Jan 27, 2008

What great news. Now if Booovasi doesn't give away the entire farm system and Baltimore made a sign and trade deal with Eric Bedard...

Posted by Kylo

4:31 PM, Jan 27, 2008

2 years of Bedard for 6 years of Adam Jones. It'll be great to watch Bedard for 2 years, but in 2010 EVERYONE will hate his deal for us.

Whatever...more idiocy in the FO, and more typical Mariners fans embracing a move they know little about other than they've heard of Bedard as a great pitcher and Adam Jones is some kid who has some bad major league batting average. Stupid stupid stupid

Posted by vertigoman

4:32 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Nice scoop.

Posted by Steven

4:35 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Excellent scoop. This is HUGE for the M's. I'll actually buy tickets this season! :)

Posted by Edgar

4:37 PM, Jan 27, 2008

I might puke...if Triunfel is part of the deal AND Jones...I am going to be sick

Posted by Jagwar

4:40 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Calm down people. You just brought back a pitcher who is going to be absolutely filthy, one who the Angels do NOT want to face 4-5 times in 2008.

Posted by helpFelix

4:43 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Thanks Geoff for the MAJOR QUICK delivery to us!

You've been AWESOME this offseason, in a stressful time.

NOW Jason Bay for RF anyone?

Bavasi just saved his job beyond 2008.

Posted by Sharon

4:43 PM, Jan 27, 2008

wow, I thought this would never happen.

I agree with Bavasi that you can't let players rot on the vine in the minors, but I really hope he didn't blow up the farm system for this.

And I really hope Bedard doesn't blow out his
elbow in spring training.

I can't be any more than cautiously optimistic. There have been too many "can't miss" trades that have failed in the past. And yeah, I know it goes both ways.

Posted by BrianL

4:44 PM, Jan 27, 2008

This is absolutely terrible. We've given up six years of Adam Jones (and who knows what other prospects) for two years of a pitcher that has an injury record and has never logged more than 200 IP. If Tillman and Triunfel are part of this package, than we have officially been fleeced by the Baltimore Orioles.

Our front office has just shown their sheer idiocy. This is going to be a deal that is will backfire horribly.

Posted by vertigoman

4:47 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Maybe the tabloids here in NY will pick up on the news and post a headline that reads something like:
"M's trade for Bedard, Snarky bloggers ship sunk."

Posted by Steven

4:48 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Wow Kylo, full of hate and anger on this one. Bedard is in his prime, a near Cy Young award winner in the AL. He provides a huge boost to our rotation, helps take pressure off Felix, and immediately strengthens our bullpen by not forcing the M's to over extend finding a starting pitcher.

Jones will be good, he is a top 30 prospect in all of baseball, but with pitching talent so tight, I would much rather pay for an OF bat via FA than an SP (look what happened to LA last year). I take the Cy Young candidate over Jones any day. There are easily 10 better OF prospects than jones when you look across all of the majors.

Look at all the OF FAs in 2009
Craig Monroe MIN
Jay Payton BAL
Scott Podsednik CWS
Manny Ramirez * BOS
Juan Rivera LAA
Rondell White MIN

Yea, our defense will be a little stale, but our backlog is fixed for this year, giving everyone regular playing time. I take Bedard and half this list over Jones and the junk we have now.

Lighten up...

Posted by wrmike

4:53 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Two questions:

1. Jones and who else for Bedard?

2. How long do we get Bedard?

If Bavasi can give us good answers to these questions, well, then okay. If the Mariner's only get two years of Bedard, they had better be playoff plus years.

Posted by John

4:53 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Our front office is full of morons. We can kiss the playoffs goodbye for the next four years at least. Even longer if we gave up Triunfel too. We are going to win 85 games next year and then its all down hill.

Posted by lox

4:54 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Aside from the obvious (losing Jones), the most worrisome part of all this IMO is the possibility that Sherrill might not be included. Not that I wouldn't be thrilled to have him in the bullpen, but considering he was one of the O's main targets, you gotta wonder just what it took to replace him in the proposed Jones/Sherrill/Tillman package. If any of Triunfel, Clement or Morrow are included, then Bavasi just got FLEECED. Time to cross your fingers people...

Posted by Z-Bo

5:07 PM, Jan 27, 2008

I hate losing Jones, but I am a fan of this deal. The Bedard-Felix duo can go up against anyone, hands down. Now it's time to start figuring out who's playing right for us. There is no way Bavasi makes this deal without a reasonable Right Field option, I wonder who it is?? Anyone think they know?

Posted by Buschleaguer

5:09 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Relax guys! If this is true, you can pick up your playoff tix right now! I'm telling you what....if Bedard remains healthy along with Felix, we just solidified one of, if not the best, one-two punch rotations in baseball! I, for one, am totally psyched for the upcoming season. Time to jump on the train boys and girls - its promised land time!!!!

Will miss AJ tremendously, just like I felt horrible about Jose Cruz Jr. leaving in the 90's. Except, wait, this isn't for Timlin and Splojaric! It's for a certified, bonafide, number 1 starter!!!!

This will go down as one of the great days in M's history, you watch. For all of the stat geek, keep Adam Jones crowd: I empathize with you and appreciate all you've brought to the debate this offseason, but give this a chance. IF everything works out, we'll be singing Bavasi's praises every fifth day this season, and next - at a minimum!

Posted by ikonburn

5:09 PM, Jan 27, 2008

I just want to know how is it that people seem to see this as a doomsayer for baseball in Seattle this season and beyond? I understand that AJ is a top rated prospect and I was lookin forward to watching him play in Seattle just like most of you...however at the same time I am excited to finally have some plus pitching in seattle again (Felix aside).
Also let's not forget that Bedard could sign an extension that'll keep him here beyond 2 seasons.
AJ and Bedard could both become hereos or goats, but none of us will know the actual outcome of this trade for either side until a couple of seasons from now...so ease off the panic button.

Posted by scottM

5:18 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Great SCOOP, Geoff!!!

I loved that list of OF Free Agents at the end of 2009. This is a rotation that the M's can build a perennial power around. Of course there's a downside risk, but the upside is exciting!!!

Posted by lailaihei

5:23 PM, Jan 27, 2008

I just died a little inside. We're going to win 88 games and miss the playoffs the next two years and then be absolute crap when Bedard wants to go away as a FA.

Posted by ~Mariner4Life~

5:23 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Here is what I can scratch up as leftovers for Free Agent OF'ers for 2008. I could see Shawn Green, Shannon Stewart or Luis Gonzales as the stop-gap until 2009. The other piece is Wee-Wille. He would do a lot to fill time and spell these old guys in the OF.

Player Age
Jerry Hairston 31 CF
Kenny Lofton 40 CF
Nook Logan 28 CF
Corey Patterson 28 CF

Posted by scottM

5:24 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Best sidebar on this trade, from Geoff's main Times article: [Bedard] "said in an interview with the Baltimore Sun on Friday that he is open to a possible contract extension."

Posted by Tom

5:25 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Ugh, terrible news. In exchange for second place this year, we trade away the future. Bavasi goes for the CYA move. Big surprise.

Posted by ansty in anaheim

5:25 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Awesome news. Thanks for the heads up Geoff.

Posted by ~Mariner4Life~

5:28 PM, Jan 27, 2008

This should have been the first post here. I am find with AJ being the centerpiece of this deal. That's fine. But if we are giving up Truinfel/Tillman or Clement, Sherril, etc... I fully expect that a decent OF'er off the Orioles roster should be coming back our way. Luke Scott? Geoff has mentioned this a few times, and I would not mind seeing that name. Please Lord, steer Bavasi away from JAY GIBBONS..

Its hard to keep in mind that Bedard is not Paul Spoljaric... and that was the worst GM Woody Woodward...

Posted by Faceplant_

5:30 PM, Jan 27, 2008

"Awesome news. Thanks for the heads up Geoff.
Pitching wins games. Period. If we can get away w/just 3 for a proven TOR, it's unreal. Jones is the real deal. I wish him great success. But every GM will tell you, you take the ARM over the BAT. It's a no brainer."

No it isn't.

Posted by helpFelix

5:33 PM, Jan 27, 2008

I've been hearing Jason Bay to Seattle rumors come up over the past 1-2 weeks "if" Bavasi lands Bedard. So don't count that one out!

Can you imagine Bay in RF for us in 2008? WOW! Plus his trading value is at a low, so we need to grab this guy before he breaks out in 2008...and Pitts wants to fleece our farm for him.

Posted by BrianL

5:34 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Does it not bother anyone that now we have one of the worst defensive outfields in baseball? Ichiro is good, but even he can't make up for the two corpses that will be flanking him.

The FO once again proves it undervalues defense and has no idea how to place a value on their prospects. If you're fleeced by Peter Angelos, you're a lousy general manager.

Posted by Mike

5:35 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Who knows how good Jones will ever be. He hasn't hit in the majors yet in over 130 AB's. I've heard the best he compares to is Mike Cameron and a poormans Andruw Jones. He could be a .240 hitter with 20 HR's and plus he can't steal bases.

Posted by kylo

5:35 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Bedard is great...don't get me wrong. But he is testing FA in 2 years...You can bank on that. You see the $$ people are paying crappy backup outfielders and declining outfielders? And we had AJ locked up for 6 years! CHEAP.

Bedard has to prove he can be effective for 200 innings...the man is on the DL every year it seems. He'll be great to watch for 2 yeas, but after 2 years we won't have those who got traded (Adam, Morrow/Triunfel, Tillman) and Bedard will likely walk.

You all have to realize that getting Bedard is one thing, but if we take away half our premium prospects, where will we be in a couple years? Also, you want Ibanez and some other veteran in a wheelchair roaming the huge OF in Safeco? Its terrible planning. Plain and simple

Posted by BrianL

5:36 PM, Jan 27, 2008

And who knows about Erik Bedard? He could blow his arm out and fail (again) to log 200 IP.

Six years of Adam Jones plus other prospects > 2 years of Erik Bedard.

Posted by Tom

5:40 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Washburn, Felix, and Batista's ERA just went up .50 runs.

Posted by liebkartoffel

5:40 PM, Jan 27, 2008

"Pitching wins games. Period."

That's funny--and here I was thinking that scoring more runs than the other team wins games. I have a different theory though: Possessing a baseball wins games. Think about it; you can't win without a ball, and if the other team has to bring their own, they might not let us use it. Quick, somebody check; how many buckets of balls will Triunfel bring us?

Posted by ~Mariner4Life~

5:40 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Jason Bay and Eric Bedard would be a coup (if we keep at least Clement & Morrow).

I have totally forgotten about Jeremy Reed and Mike Morse too. They are not defensive corpses, but not the best bats either. Better than a AAA rotation in RF.

Posted by Adam

5:40 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Everybody knows how I feel about this.

Screw you, Bill Bavasi.

Posted by f-off

5:49 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Good to see you know how to spell the Mariners PR Director's name right...it's Hevly. Guess you're not getting a X-Mas card this year. By the way, when can we expect an expose on the transgressions for Mariners from the last 10 years? Carlos Guillen's drunk driving? David Segui's steroids? Kaz-man's drunken misdeeds? Dave Henderson? If you're going to drag one team down, might as well go for another...nice paper.

Posted by Al

5:50 PM, Jan 27, 2008

I just fear Bedard will stay healthy, hopefully his Tommy John Arm, Oblique Strain, Neck Strain, and other bodily issues that he has every single year of his career don't pop up during his 2 years here. But you know having a injury history for 10 straight years mean he'll be that horse the next 2 years in the cold weather up here cause you know the warm weather like Baltimore isn't good right.

Well here's hoping to a World Series cause if they don't win one in whil Bedard is here, then it was a waste cause we'll be back to square one in a couple years again.

Posted by Husky Fan in New York

5:54 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Could we platoon Reed and Morse in RF? What about W. Balentin, will he be ready to play? I hope we can get Baltimore's RF (LH batter and forget his name) also in the trade.

Listen, a #1 LHP with a low ERA is like a hot chick with brains...they are really tough to find so if one is available, you have to swoop!

Posted by Faceplant

5:55 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Hey f-off,

F-off.

Posted by Lance

5:56 PM, Jan 27, 2008

I just hope that the M's doctors do a thorough exam of Bedard and spot any inkling of trouble with this guy.

If this goes through mark me in the 'bad move' column. And, it'll manifest itself as such long before 2010.

Posted by Zach C

6:01 PM, Jan 27, 2008

even if Wlad is in RF, the defense is better than last year's. I've been hearing Wilkerson's name tho...

His bat would make up for Jose's and the defense would be better.

We will have better production on the mound and at the plate this year IF all goes well out of spring.

Posted by Chris

6:04 PM, Jan 27, 2008

And so the Mariners bright future dies...Yes, we now have an at least somewhat formidable pitching staff, but we have absolutely no one to play right field. No prospects that are anywhere near ready and no major league holdovers from last season. Worst of all, the best options in free agency are Shannon Stewart and Kenny Lofton. They don't exactly replace the very good production that Jose Guillen gave us last year. This means that since we've already commited to winning this year by making this trade, any prospects we have left will have to be commited to getting us a right fielder. Of course that puts this team in a one year wonder (assuming it's even that) category because there will be no help from the minor leagues for years to come. Seriously depressing...couldn't we have just fired Bavasi before he had time to completely dismantle the future in trying to save his job for one more year?

Posted by Deke

6:07 PM, Jan 27, 2008

What do you think this does to the Cubs and their attempt to get both Bedard and Roberts?

Posted by Go M's

6:07 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Did any of you watch Adam Jones play the outfield last year? He wasn't very good. He missed played several balls and dropped a few as well. I LOVE THIS TRADE!! We just replaced Weaver and Ramirez in the rotation with Bedard and Silva. Are you kidding me? That's huge. Bedard, Felix, Silva, Washburn and Batista is a NICE rotation. Let's see who we can plug into RF before the naysayers jump off the Safeco Field Roof!

GO M's!!

Posted by KGinAZ

6:09 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Awful, awful, awful. A 5-tool player under club control for 6 years, the best pitching prospect in the system, one of the best set-up men in the game and who knows who else. All for a "potential" ace with no solid track record of production under contract for two years. Another major letdown by the suits upstairs. Mark my words... this will come back to seriously haunt this franchise for years and years. A very sad day for M's fans if this goes down.

Posted by Jeff

6:11 PM, Jan 27, 2008

I'd rather they not trade for Wilkerson and just give Wlad the RF spot.

Posted by Faceplant

6:12 PM, Jan 27, 2008

"Did any of you watch Adam Jones play the outfield last year? He wasn't very good."

And you could tell all of this because of two missed catches?

Jones is a well above average defender. Two missed catches don't change that.

Posted by griz

6:12 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Great. We have solidified second place in the West for a few years and more third and last place finishes thereafter. How can anyone say that we have a better overall team than the Angels? Just pray that we didn't give up Triunfel...

Posted by Faceplant

6:13 PM, Jan 27, 2008

For whqat it's worth NHK over at Camden chat is saying that he's hearing rumors that the M's gave the Orioles another prospect instead of George Sherrill.

Weeeeeeeeee.....

Posted by Austin in MD

6:14 PM, Jan 27, 2008

As a O's fan, good job on the quick story. And thanks M's For A.Jones and Whoever else you're giving us. Youwill love Bedard every fifth day, but the rest of the time, maybe not.

Posted by mrfoodman

6:15 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Wait until you get your hands on Bedard. A whiner, a pitcher who's looking to come out of the game after six innings and who hasn't pitched a complete season since he's been a major leaguer. Talented, yes. He's won 42 games and wants $8.5 million...enjoy!!! I usually am not on the Orioles bandwagon with any moves that they make but this one is long overdue. GOOD RIDDANCE ERIK!!!

Posted by Tom

6:18 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Remember when the team doctors bailed the M's out on that horrible Vizquel trade? Maybe that can happen again. Or maybe not.

Posted by Zach C

6:19 PM, Jan 27, 2008

wilkerson is a FA, the rumor is a 1yr deal...

Posted by Aistin in MD

6:21 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Hopefully we threw in Gibbons, Payton, and Mora. Then it would be an even better day in Baltimore. Once again thank you for Adam Jones.

Posted by maus

6:22 PM, Jan 27, 2008

How would you guys feel about Ken Griffey Jr. in right THIS year? I bet you could get him for a couple of mid level prospects. You guys could see him hit his 600th and he'd retire as a Mariner. This could be a win-win deal -- you guys get great lh power who can play rf and dh while selling the place out with Bedard. We (Cincy) get a couple of prospects and room for our stud prospect -- Jay Bruce. Thoughts?

Posted by Gordie

6:24 PM, Jan 27, 2008

On one hand, this is what playoff teams do. On the other hand, the Mariners are not a playoff team and haven't been for a while.

No one knows what kind of player Adam Jones will be, and those that are guaranteeing greatness without any evidence are just pots calling the kettle black when they start blasting everyone who disagrees with them.

The M's have one of the worst farm systems in baseball and the front office is notorious for overvaluing their own prospects using some sort of completely broken guideline that no other team would be caught dead with. I guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree when it comes to their fans.

Posted by tim

6:27 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Great move if the Ms can sign Bedard long term - he's legit! Jones is a PREDICTED great player, who knows if he'll actually turn out? the Ms are famous for having prospects become busts (jose cruz jr, ryan anderson, jeremy reed, etc). so it's definitely better to grab a proven player like bedard. Just please keep him for at least 5 years while he's in his prime.

Posted by Eve

6:28 PM, Jan 27, 2008

The Baltimore Sun is reporting that a Orioles official has said NO deal has been made? Which report is true?

Posted by Jeff

6:29 PM, Jan 27, 2008

There is a bright side for those of us who didn't want this trade to go down: Jones was going to be wasted anyway. I could just see the trade for Wilkerson going down no matter what, and Raul remaining in left because you don't want to disrupt chemistry, you know...and Wilkerson, well he's a vet, and Johnny Mac loves vets...blah blah blah.

Cheer for Bedard while he's here and enjoy AJ's career as he puts the hurt to the skankees...Baltimore will now become my second fav team...

Posted by Mo Morrissey

6:30 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Solid stuff. Should be a great deal for the M's

Posted by helpFelix

6:34 PM, Jan 27, 2008

The PR Griffey would bring to Safeco would be INCREDIBLE!!! Between Bedard & Griffey Safeco would be PACKED in 2008!!!

Then when Sexson is done in 2008, Griffey or Ibanez moves to 1B...and the other would be moved to DH! Wlad in RF in 2009, and go sign either Abreu OR trade for Jason Bay!!!

"If" Seattle can figure out how to add either Griffey OR Jason Bay to man RF, I'd be estatic.

I'm already estatic, but a 40HR power LHB in Griffey OR Bay's power bat in RF would floor me!!!

In fact, something interesting that I checked out on CBSSportsling is the size of Safeco versus Pitts field! Wow, Pitts LF/CF wall is like 15 extra feet out, and Bay has been hitting them over that.

Posted by rfp

6:39 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Great! Now we need a move to balance things out and make Bedard feel more at home. Probably another teammate that speaks Canadian, eh? How about Jason Bay, eh?

Posted by David

6:39 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Fantastic move!! Its about time they made the deal! With a solid bull pen behind us, watch out Angels. I am buying season tickets now!

Posted by Eve

6:42 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Geoff, MacPhail is shooting this down. Any truth to that? Baltimore Sun is reporting they are not expecting Jones in Baltimore. Any updates?

Posted by Becca in MD

6:43 PM, Jan 27, 2008

MacPhail denies reported Bedard trade
'We do not have an agreement with the Mariners,' he says...

Check it out...

So... WTF, guys?

Posted by Joof

6:46 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Shows how lucky we got with this trade when the Orioles fans are here bragging about what they got in the deal and how they got the long end of the stick.

Posted by shimon

6:48 PM, Jan 27, 2008

I was never a huge fan of this trade until I did a little research and found this article by Amy K. Nelson of ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2978076

Now, I'm a huge fan of Bedard. He seems very well grounded and his dislike for the moronic media questions he is "required" to field earns my deepest respect. I can't believe some of the inane questions the media puts to these players. Especially those "How did that make you feel" questions. Which is why I read this blog. No fluff here.

Posted by Tokyofan

6:51 PM, Jan 27, 2008

It seems the Mariners were hell-bent from the beginning of the offseason to trade AJ for a starter. That being the case, the decision to discard Guillen, and not make a play for someone like Fukudome or Hunter, becomes all the more ridiculous. Welcome to the Ibanez/Ichiro/Gonzales outfield. Even Ichiro can't make up that much ground...

Posted by helpFelix

6:57 PM, Jan 27, 2008

I'm sure both front office's will be tight lipped about this until Jones physical!

A Baltimore Sun reporter stating that MacPhail denies Jones coming for a physical...Jones saying that he's flying to Baltimore this morning for a physical. Sounds like Bavasi told Jones too much yesturday, and it "accidentally" leaked out thru Jones.

Jones doesn't have any reason to lie about all of this, and he's a major gamer and wouldn't want to leave the Winter playoffs under any circumstances.

This deal is done. GMs are just being GMs at this point until after all the formalities!

Posted by AZ FAN

6:58 PM, Jan 27, 2008

With Bedard and Felix in the rotation I can't see many losing streaks and the Mariners were a very streaky team last year. Here's to hoping the losing streaks are gone and the winning streaks stay intact!

Posted by Aidan

6:58 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Man, I can see trading away Jones coming back to hurt us for many more years. But this should help out our pitching staff greatly. Who know's who will be playing RF all I have heard is that Bavasi is interested in Brad Wilkerson.

Posted by SNOD

7:01 PM, Jan 27, 2008

For all of you anti-trading Adam Jones, all i gotta say is that outfielders are a dime a dozen, but cy-young candidates are not... If you want to compete in the American League you have to have that 1-2 punch in the starting rotation...
Felix/Bedard........
Pretty SOLID.....

Posted by Al

7:04 PM, Jan 27, 2008

It's interesting to hear the "Jones was a Predicted player to be great player", so is Bedard, he's a predicted to be staff ace that has never put up ace like numbers, never has stayed healthy, never thrown a 20 plus wins/220 plus innings season, never pitched in a playoff game and has already blown out his arm once?

I guess you can call Bedard an ace, a Fragile Ace is what he is. Maybe his fragility won't show at all in the next 2 years even though it's shown every year of his professional career. But hey if you believe someone as fragile as him will definately take the M's to the World Series and be able to pitch in a playoff series on only 3 days rest then maybe I can smoke some and believe that too.

Posted by Adam

7:06 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Yes, OFs are a dime a dozen. OFs with Adam Jones' skill set, age, cost, and team control status are not. In fact, they are as rare as Cy Young candidates...

Posted by bill

7:08 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Not in favor of the trade however I do look forward to seeing Bedard pitching. He is awesome.

www.lookoutlanding.com

Posted by AZ FAN

7:09 PM, Jan 27, 2008

"But hey if you believe someone as fragile as him will definately take the M's to the World Series and be able to pitch in a playoff series on only 3 days rest then maybe I can smoke some and believe that too."

Al - but you're saying that Adam Jones and company (others in the trade) will? Maybe it's you that is smoking something.

I'll take my chances with Bedard/Felix instead of Adam Jones and company. Jose Guillen provided decent numbers last year and we didn't go anywhere. How much MORE is Adam Jones going to provide?

Posted by Adam

7:12 PM, Jan 27, 2008

How much MORE is Adam Jones going to provide?

Over the next six years? More than Bedard will provide over the next two.

Posted by ~Mariner4Life~

7:15 PM, Jan 27, 2008

RE: Tommy John surgery.

Many small injuries that put pitchers on the DL prior to TJ Surgery are COMPENSATION INJURIES for the actual UCL injury. Many pitchers come back stronger and more durable after surgery...

Somebody tell me how productive some of these players were after TJ Surgery. I think they were/are pretty DURABLE these pitchers were after surgery (especially 2+ years removed):
John Smoltz
Rafiel Soriano
Justin Verlander
AJ Burnett
Paul Byrd
Mariano Rivera
Matt Morris
Kenny Rogers
David Wells
Randy Wolf

Bedard was put on the DL at the end of the season because of the oblique strain. This was a move to allow the Orioles to keep another prospect on the roster longer... He also MISSED NO TIME for a strained hamstring and neck. How many MLB players do you know that plays through a strained oblique? None, because to the play the game you need a tremendous amount of trunk strength and torque.

Posted by vertigoman

7:19 PM, Jan 27, 2008

It's not Jones at 6 years vs. Bedard at 2. The clock has been ticking on Jones. I think it's 5 for Jones.
Bedard either signs an extension or he's shopped for another package of prospects at the end of next year. He doesn't simply walk. He's not a 10/5 guy. He hasn't earned the right to yet.

Posted by AWT

7:20 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Bedard is a #2 starter at best. He is not the ace. He will be #1 on this team. With that said, I would rather have the Bedard/Felix over Adam Jones. As long as Morrow, Clement, and Sherril are still here then this team will be OK. This team is probably a 2nd place team in this division with or without this trade, but if lightning strikes, then the M's will have the rotation to make a play-off run.

Nobody knows how good Adam Jones is going to be. He looked like a bust the first 2 minor league years and then he blossomed in the minors. He has done nothing at the major league level.

I will never forgive Bavasi for trading Soriano for Ramirez, but this trade could be the best one he has made with us. We will see who is all involved.

Go M's!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by thatgirl

7:21 PM, Jan 27, 2008

No, no, no!! Please say it ain't so!! I'm bummed.

Posted by Mr. Benson

7:21 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Wow. All of that for two years of Erik Bedard and MAYBE the chance to be first in line to keep him beyond that for $20m+ per year. What a horribly stupid trade. Bavasi is obviously way out of his depth with this job. I've watched him do enough damage to the M's over the years. The man must be stopped.

Posted by nuhips

7:26 PM, Jan 27, 2008

On msn.com Ken Rosenthal says it is Jones, Sherrill, Tillman and more for Bedard

Posted by Adam

7:32 PM, Jan 27, 2008

I'm sorry to be rude, but do you know anything about baseball contracts?

Jones is under team control through 2013. That's six seasons.

Posted by Donovan

7:35 PM, Jan 27, 2008

After reading all the posts on this thread for months, both the rational and the insane, my take on it comes down to one thing in the end. Bedard might be the key piece that gets us into the playoffs this year and Jones definitely isn't. It's ultimately that simple for me. No way do I settle for a slow rebuilding strategy at this point. People are actually talking about 2010 like the M's should wait that long before they pull out all the stops. 2010? Are you kidding me? No way do I settle for anything less than going for it balls to the wall this year, not with the way the AL West is shaping up to be the weakest division in baseball. This is the year to go for broke. Adam Jones could be great, but he will never be enough to drag Seattle to the post-season, not without a crack pitching rotation. Bedard might be the key. That's good enough for me. I'll trade Jones potential for two years of Bedard, no problem, because I don't see how or where else we will ever get a pitcher of that caliber.

I'd also like to comment on how classy Jones' comportment is here, based on the quotes in The Times. He's excited to be heading to a starting job in the Majors, as he should be. I wish him well and I hope he does turn out to be a star in B'almer. I for one will not hold that against the Mís FO. They did what they had to do in this case, painful though it may be. Their first job is put a competitive team on the field in 2008.

Posted by Bellevue Rob

7:40 PM, Jan 27, 2008

AWESOME!!! Unless it includes Clement. We continue to trade left handed power hitters from a team that plays in a park where the ball dies in left, and jumps out to right. I think Jones will be special, but as I have said before, right handed power hitters die here. Send them Jones and not Clement

Posted by Willie Boom Boom

7:48 PM, Jan 27, 2008

I just went to the ESPN Bedard article link provided by Shimon. Unfortunately, Bedard sounds like a jerk. Hopefully, he's a talented jerk.

Posted by bomberboy

7:54 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Not a husge fan of trading Jones BUT note what Bedard did last year in six starts aginst NY, Bos and Tor- 41 2/3 IP (6.9 IP per start), 23 hits total (only .55 hits per IP), and an ERA of 2.40 and a 3-0 record. Bedard had a horrible run support level form the O's. Oh yeah, in three starts against the Yanks he was 2-0, wnent 7 full all three games, gave up 11 hits TOTAL and struck out 21 for an ERA of 1.30. Whoever is out there downplaying this guys ability...at 28 years old he is by far the best starter our team will be able to get their hands on. The only way we do NOT make this trade is if we really think we have this kind of starter coming up within the system.

Nice to even have the talent to be in this discussion!

Posted by Zach C

7:59 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Someone said hes not an ace...I think his 220ks and 180IP with a month to go would like to hit you in the face...

Posted by Donovan

8:01 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Yo Willie - I disagree. I think Bedard is just a guy who wants to be a ballplayer, not a celebrity. I find that refreshing. Here's a hometown piece on him that you should also read. Yeah, it's a fluff piece not a serious baseball piece, but you hardly come away thinking he's a jerk.

Posted by scottM

8:03 PM, Jan 27, 2008

I liked that article about Bedard. Just because he's not media friendly doesn't mean that he's not a performer and a competitor. Do we want Bedard to win games for us or to look like Yuni and Lopez on bicycles as the Doublemint twins???

Posted by Eve

8:08 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Geoff any chance you might update soon. Baltimore is still denying this with reports that Bedards agent has no knowledge of a deal. Can you give us something....anything????

Posted by Donovan

8:09 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Bad - Uh, you do know that Bavasi was either working for the Angels or Dodgers when Lou was here - right? They didn't overlap dude.

Posted by Rigel

8:13 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Baltimore Sun reporting Andy McPhail is denying that there is an agreement in place. Sherrill hasn't been contacted yet. Luis Sojo is one of our sources of information......

I wouldn't jump the gun just yet. I'll believe that a trade is done when I see it formally announced.

Posted by Con

8:14 PM, Jan 27, 2008

I'd trade an unproven outfielder at the ML level for arguably the second best left hander in the AL any day of the week. See Jose Cruz Jr. for further proof.

Posted by vertigoman

8:15 PM, Jan 27, 2008

"Bedard DOES simply walk at the end of 2009. He'll be a free agent. 10/5 only applies to trades, not free agency. Yes, we can trade him before the end of 2009, but it won't happen, and we won't get the same return to compensate for the package we are giving up."

I'm pretty sure the clock started ticking on Jones last year, maybe I'm wrong. However that wasnít the crux of what I was trying to get at. What I obviously meant by Bedard not being a 10/5 guy is he has no right to veto a trade. Meaning he could be moved again. Tell me I'm wrong. He might not fetch the same return but it'd be close. In fact, Iíd argue that the only things that could lessen his value would be the same thing that could lessen anyoneís value (including Adam Jones). You donít make a trade of this magnitude without a plan beyond two years. There are always options. One of those is actually winning in the present sense.

Posted by David

8:15 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Well not really true..You do know it is colder and get more snow in Baltimroe then it does in Seattle, but then again it's basball which is played in the Summer so you may have a point since Seattle is one of cooler cites in America in the Summer time..
But don't fear anyway because Bedard is from Ontario Can so cold weather is no issure for him..

Posted by Willie Boom Boom

8:16 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Thanks, Donovan. That second article on Bedard is a little more positive. Fears about the "attitude problems" of Carl Everett and Jose Guillen never really panned out. Let's just hope Bedard gets along with the coaching staff and his new teammates.

Posted by Faithful

8:23 PM, Jan 27, 2008

The good news is that this trade should end the miserable reign of Bavasi. He's given up a great set up man and potential multiple times all star every day player for another Washburn.

Posted by Con

8:30 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Washburn struck out 10.9 per 9IP last year and his BAA was .212? Who knew!?

Posted by lorlor

8:34 PM, Jan 27, 2008

I WOULDN'T HOLD MY BREATH ON THIS DEAL. BALTIMORE IS DENYING THE TRADE AND THE CUBS SEEM TO BE LOOKING AT A DEAL FOR BEDARD AND ROBERTS. PLUS BAVASI IS SHMUCK SO THE DEAL PROBABLY ISNT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Posted by Dan

8:49 PM, Jan 27, 2008

I'm a huge M's fan. You can't have enough pitching. I don't think AJ is the next Ken Griffy Jr. So I'd rather take my chances with more pitching, EB. I hope the M's did not give up too much young pitching to get EB.

Posted by Jeff

8:51 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Close your eyes, Resin. Jason Churchill is saying on his site that the deal is likely Jones-Sherrill-Tillman-Butler-Mickolio for Bedard. Wow. That means the idea of Morrow being a starter is officially over. Done. Burnt to a crisp.

That's a whole lotta depth there. My fear now is that Triunfel is somehow in there...

Posted by Jeff

8:55 PM, Jan 27, 2008

No one has said Jones is the next Griffey, Dan. If he was, the talks for Bedard never would have been started with Jones as a piece. Frankly, if he was the next Griffey, he also wouldn't have been so poorly unused last year by Lou's clone wannabe.

He doesn't have to be the next Griffey to provide extremely rare value and a unique combo of skills that we could have been privileged to watch over the next 6 years in safeco.

Posted by downinthegroove

8:56 PM, Jan 27, 2008

We are one of the worst run teams in MLB. Unfortunately we have a giant payroll to try and cover it up.

Sometimes you gotta call the baby ugly!

Bavasi, Lincoln, Front Office....You are UGLY!

Posted by Tom

8:58 PM, Jan 27, 2008

I am excited by this rumor. If we can get Bedard for Jones-Tillman-Sherrill we would have totally fleeced the Orioles, which is mothing new.

Posted by Jeff

9:06 PM, Jan 27, 2008

You sure about that Tom? Think about it. If it's "just" Jones/Tillman/Sherrill, you have 2 immediate holes to fill and most of the best players have already signed. What if Churchill's assertion is true. Then the M's HAVE to find some way to get Bedard extended. What do the M's have in starting pitching for themselves when Bedard leaves in 2 years? Butler and Tillman were likely the best chance for ready starting pitching at that time from our system.

Posted by bigDawg

9:07 PM, Jan 27, 2008

o s fan here. this could be one of those deals thatare good for both sides.

Posted by Dudley

9:09 PM, Jan 27, 2008

How good can a pitcher be without an outfield, I mean Ichiro can't cover the hole thing can he?

Posted by lorlor

9:09 PM, Jan 27, 2008

MORE TRADE RUMORS. SOUNDS LIKE THIS DEAL MIGHT BE LEGIT. IT WILL BE TOUGH TO SEE SHERRIL GONE. I LOVE THE WAY HE PITCHES.

Posted by Patrick F.

9:16 PM, Jan 27, 2008

This is music to my ears, and I'm glad that we'll be able to have a pitcher's of Bedard's talent wearing a Mariner jersey. He's a welcomed addition, and I think more fans will change their tune once they see how good he is. I really hope that Jeff Clement wasn't in the deal, but to get someone with dominant stuff like Bedard, you're going to have to part with some future talent.

Once it's official, it will be a great day for Mariner baseball. Our rotation will be a force to be reckoned with, having a solid 1,2 punch atop the rotation.

Posted by Patrick F.

9:19 PM, Jan 27, 2008

I guess we can sign Brad Wilkerson to play in right or left field, next season.

Posted by lorlor

9:20 PM, Jan 27, 2008

SEATTLE WILL BE FINE WITH IBANEZ, ICHIRO, AND EITHER BALENTIEN, REED, MORSE OR BOUCHER. THE MARINERS ARE LOADED WITH BIG HITTING OUTFIELDERS IN TACOMA. I WOULDNT WORRY ABOUT GETTING RID OF JONES. PERSONALLY, I THINK WLAD BALENTIEN IS BETTER THAN JONES. JONES IS A LIABLITY IN OUTFIELD AND OVERRATED. HE LOOKS SCARED AND CONFUSED WHEN HE SHAGS FLY BALLS. THE MARINERS DID A GOOD JOB OF PUMPING UP HIS STOCK SO THAT THEY COULD FLEECE SOME OTHER ORGANIZATION IN A TRADE. AKA BEDARD.

Posted by Adam

9:36 PM, Jan 27, 2008

lorlor -

Besides the fact that using all caps is terribly annoying, your complete lack of knowledge of the Mariner farm system and the talent (or lack thereof) in it is staggering...

Posted by Sharon

9:37 PM, Jan 27, 2008

It's not Jones for Bedard straight up, it's Jones plus 3-4 other players that is the concern. And giving up Sherrill will haunt us. You can't weaken both defense and the bullpen and think you've come out ahead.

Didn't the Mariners just admit they blew through the bullpen last year to save Hargrove's job? Why weaken it now before the season even
begins?

Bullpen: Lowe isn't healthy. Rhodes won't replace Sherrill. Rhodes and Reitsma can't replace Putz if, God forbid, he goes down. HoRam better step it up as a relief pitcher. Charlton has his work cut out for him.

And the glee of the Baltimore fans remninds me of Yankee fans' reactions in the Tino Martinez
and Jeff Nelson for Russ Davis trade. And we know how THAT one worked out.

Hopefully Sherrill isn't included, and if he is, he comes back as a free agent. That will haunt us in the near term, more than losing Jones will.

Posted by garmag

9:37 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Adam Jones is a future 20-30 guy with gold glove D in center. Bedard won't even be with the team in two and a half years.

Posted by Tom

10:08 PM, Jan 27, 2008

Tillman will not be ready for awhile. He's still in A ball and his ERA and WHIP was less than imoressive at high A ball. Losing him while retaining Morrow is a huge plus for the M's. Losing Sherill hurts a bit, but he'll come back as a FA in a couple years. I'd like to see the guy stay but basically he's a lefty specialist. Bedard is the real deal. Jones is the only significant loss, and he coudl end up being a Felix Pie fo the Cubs who looks great in AAA ball, but can't seem to hit MLB pitching consistently. We don't know. We do know that Bedard can pitch. If all we're giving up is Jones-Tillman-and Sherill this is a Mariner steal. I figured we'd have to give up Clement and Morrow as well and maybe Triunfel. If Bavasi pulls this off as is, I will be the most surprised guy on the planet.

Posted by Zach C

10:13 PM, Jan 27, 2008

this is probably the best city in baseball for Bedard, he'll resign cuz we're gonna pay him...

sherrill was only used against lefties, maybe he would face one RH batter to get to another lefty...if lowe(is that how you spell his name?) is healthy, we'll have two nasty pitchers from both sides of the plate (Morrow as well) that could bridge the gap to jj...Not to mention O'flerity, who could see a bigger role because of sherrill's absense

i wouldn't mind putting wlad in RF this season, but it does look like Wilkerson will be the #1 option to fill the spot

Posted by Kirk

10:00 AM, Jan 28, 2008

We need a RF now lets go get Griffey and do it right.

Posted by Get Real Geoff

10:41 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Quit blaming everyone else...

You wanted to break the story...you jumped the gun.

"Bedard-Jones deal going down"

"That's all for now. We'll get you more details as they unfold. But I wanted to get this out to you ASAP. "

Meaning...ya didnt verify it with the Mariners....ya didnt verify it with the Orioles...even George wouldnt verify he was part of a deal that is "going down"...

I think ya lied....ya should have said "It could be going down, and finalized in the next couple days"...but no....you want to be a dramatic drama queen after the fact.

PATHETIC

Posted by Pimpmytowel

3:16 AM, Feb 10, 2008

wuts up? doin a project on this how many time have seattle been in the world championships?

its be great if yall could tell me

Jul 4, 08 - 03:16 PM