January 28, 2008 5:19 PM

Angelos strikes again

Posted by Geoff Baker

Just when you think it's safe to tell your players they're being traded, the Mariners have seen Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos step back into the fray to remind everyone who's really running things. Today has been one of those days that reminds writers just how frustrating it can be to cover some of the comical personalities in this game. The latest from the Baltimore Sun is that an O's club source confirmed Jones was supposed to be in Baltimore today for a physical, but that's been scuttled.

You know what? This situation is now becoming a circus and Angelos is far from the only clown. Let's look at what Adam Jones, who let the cat out of his equipment bag about the deal in Venezuela on Sunday, is now telling people, as per KOMO 1000 radio reporter Shannon Drayer's blog.

"He says that he said nothing about being traded to the Venezuelan press,'' Drayer writes, relaying details of an email conversation with Jones. "Something may have been lost in translation somewhere."

Ah yes, if all else fails and you've dug yourself a gigantic hole, just cover it up by shoveling a bunch of manure into it and blaming the Spanish-speaking reporter from the South American country. Here's the problem with Jones's first attempt at a media coverup of what he told reporter Augusto Cardenas from Diario Panorama on Sunday. My first language is English and Cardenas, well, he happened to make an audio recording of the conversation with Jones.

I just had the tape played for me over the phone from Venezuela and, yes, Jones definitely said he was off to Baltimore this morning for a physical and that he'd been traded to the Orioles. Talked all about looking forward to meeting his new teammates in Florida this spring. So, nice try. But Jones should stick to baseball and leave the backpedaling to football players.

Anyhow, I don't want to go off on Jones too much. He's just a 22-year-old who probably feels terrible about what's happened and been told to keep his mouth shut from now on. But I don't like it when baseball players and management types try to pass off their mistakes on to the shoulders of reporters from other countries whose language skills make them an easy target.

But what to make of this gem in the Baltimore paper from Bill Bavasi? Where he tells the Sun that Jones was pulled from his winter league team because: "Adam Jones has met his goals so there was no point of leaving him in (winter ball). He's been called back from the club and sent home."

Hmmm....well, to me, I'd say the fact his team was three games into the championship round would be a "point" of letting Jones finish what he started. That is, if the team wants to keep its relationships with Venezuelan winter league clubs going. Teams will understand a player being pulled because of a pending trade or an injury. Not because they've "met goals" that Jones apparently wasn't aware of when he told Cardenas how disappointed he was that he'd no longer be playing.

"The stuff that has been reported is very, very premature," Bavasi told The Sun. "We've been searching for pitching on multiple fronts."

Well, it's only premature because Jones wasn't let in on the secrecy pact. Other than that, the only pitching Bavasi was about to deal for -- as per Jones -- was Bedard.

But I feel for Bavasi. He still hopes to get a deal done and coming clean about what actually happened, that Jones was told he'd been dealt and was heading to Baltimore, won't help his cause on that front. Angelos is tough enough to deal with already and embarassing him in public would not be a wise move for the M's at this stage. And I suppose, when you think of it, Jones did technically meet his goals in Venezuela, so Bavasi isn't spinning tales as tall as Jones is these days.

But the only reason Jones was pulled was because the M's thought they had a deal all-but-done.

Enter Angelos, stage left.

Rounding out the quartet of laugh generators is, of course, new O's president Andy MacPhail, who claims not to know much about anything these days. Here are his quotes in the Sun.

"At this point, I don't know with certainty who told Adam what and when in Venezuela," MacPhail said.

We could give him a hint, but I suspect he already has an idea.

"I wish I could tell what the future is holding, but I do not know," MacPhail said.

Doesn't seem to know much, does he? That might answer a few questions for some people trying to figure out why Angelos is once again mucking up another straightforward deal.

"Peter knows what I know and when I know it," MacPhail said.

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

The real kicker? This deal isn't dead. I'd expect it to get done in the next few days. Are the Mariners ticked? I'm sure they are. Are the secrecy-plagued Orioles hopping mad? You betcha. But they should straighten all that out with Jones. What I don't like is that they called the credibility of Cardenas into question.

But he's telling the truth. I've heard it, with my own two ears. I'll stake my reputation on it.

If the plan now is to shoot the messanger, both teams will need a bigger gun.

Or, they can simply tell the truth.

Posted by Adam

5:53 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Come on, Mr. Angelos. Do your thing!!!

Posted by Druv

5:54 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Geoff: I know how badly you want this deal to happen -- but as a reporter you should try not to BE the story, IMHO. Jones is a kid, put in a tough stop, made worse by your "scoop."

Posted by Chopper58

5:57 PM, Jan 28, 2008

I dislike all the cover ups and hiding. If a trade is going to happen or there is interest in a trade I do not see the purpose in lieing about it. Obviously a trade has been proposed and there are a few sticking points (ie physicals). Is there any problem with stating the facts???

Just thought you'd like to know that while you may be in the snow, I am in 34 degree celsius (about 93 Fahrenheit) temperatures. Glorious summer.

Posted by Lance

5:59 PM, Jan 28, 2008

You go, Peter!!!!! Atta boy!!!!!

Posted by sedihawk

5:59 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Druv, how was Geoff trying to be the story here? Adam Jones is on tape saying he was told he was traded to the Orioles and that's the reason he was pulled from the series. What is he supposed to do, ignore it?

Despite what you might think, Geoff has no horse in the race. Sure, he's been in favor of this deal happening for a few reasons that he's explained, time and again. But that doesn't mean he's so nuts about it that he's out to create news. I'm sure he couldn't care less if this deal happens or not. He's simply doing his job, which is to inform the masses. If you heard tape of Adam Jones saying he'd been traded to Baltimore yesterday, and some of your M's sources verified it, wouldn't you do the same thing if it was your job?

Posted by pierceking

6:01 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Would it be possible to post the audio on the blog, or would that not be okay with your source in Venezuela? I haven't posted before, but have been rivited to your blog all winter...great work! Thanks!

Posted by Rob

6:02 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Geoff simply stated the facts. He never said a deal was finalized.

I still think this deal will get done, just not as soon as first projected.

Posted by taro

6:08 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Hi man, I'm a huge fan of your blog.

Honestly thouh, this is doing more damage than good at this point.

If you want the deal to go down PLEASE do your part and dump this thread.

Posted by Swung On And Belted

6:11 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Although this time it may not be his fault, once again Bill Bavasi comes out looking like an incompetent idiot!

Posted by Spitball

6:11 PM, Jan 28, 2008

All this posturing and hand-wringing by both front offices over a 22-year-old kid and an injury-prone second tier starter remind me of an expression my father used to like: "They're trying to make an ice cream cone out of a dog turd." hahahaha.....I'm beginning to care less. Regardless of what happens.

Posted by Tim

6:14 PM, Jan 28, 2008

druv, what are you talking about? Geoff isn't making Jones look bad. He's just giving us the facts. Jones is trying to cover it up, but it's not because he just had a notion to start lying... it's because he's being told what to say. I think it's awesome that Geoff is finding out what is really going on and letting us know.

If anything, Angelos looks like the idiot. Why does he freak out at everyone as soon as his business gets public? That's the nature of baseball man. Learn to live with it or get out.

Posted by Swung On And Belted

6:17 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Spitball, I've heard a similiar saying: " They've handed us a bowl of sh*t and expect us to call it ice cream ". Something the Mariners front office has been doing for years.

Posted by hawksfan

6:18 PM, Jan 28, 2008

You guys are nuts! Geoff doesn't "want" this trade to happen. He doesn't have a "part to play" to make sure it goes through. He gave his opinion that it would be in the best interest of the Mariners to make this deal. He is reporting what he learns as he learns it...reporting, which if you remember, is his job. His job is not to make sure deals do or do not go through.

Posted by flarkenberry

6:20 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Posted on the Baltimore Sun forum last night at 7:19 EST: "It appears the timeline has been pushed back 48 hours. A family issue has delayed internal talks with the other club. From what I understand, the exact quote "We will proceed as it seems prudent, feasible and with due respect", means a day or two delay. Associates are semi relaxed knowing Jones has been pulled from the line up and the deal is at the owner level and out of their immediate control. More to follow." Angelos hasn't even looked at the deal. You guys jumped the gun. You better fix this if you want a deal.

Posted by usesomelogic

6:32 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Geoff is just doing his job, he's supposed to relay information to us as soon as he finds out which is what he did.

If anyone should be blamed it's Bavasi, he should have told Adam that they needed him back here and expalined the circumstances later. He should know that a deal with Baltimore is never done until Angelos signs off on it. Maybe he was told that had already happened....who knows.

Geoff, what are the odds that this deal has been signed off on and done, pending physicals, while the media is just trying to create speculation during the time it takes for Adam Jones to get from Venezuala to Baltimore? After all you said last night the earliest we'll hear something is tomorrow after Jones arrives, rests and takes a physical.

All that said, I think this is a good trade for both teams, if Angelos doesn't do this he's a complete idiot. Getting a propect who many believe is one of the best in baseball, a younger stud pitcher in Chris Tillman and a couple other "projects" is a great deal for them. On the other hand I think putting Bedard in this rotation makes this team much better. This 5 man rotation would be probably the best in Baseball if everyone stays healthy.

Posted by taro

6:33 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Honestly,

This thread isn't helping. NOBODY questions Geoff Baker's credibility.

This is the WRONG time for this though. The time for a thread like this if AFTER a deal is finalized or not.

If the Jones leak never happens, a deal is already finalized..we should be playing dumb along with everyone else until a decision is made..this just adds fuel to the fire.

Posted by ~Mariner4Life~

6:42 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Geoff, Awesome scoop on this. I got very pissed to see people questioning you and your sources (especially Adam Jones). I liked what Mitch said on KJR this morning about this not story being such a hot-button had you just written this story (like 10 years ago) and put it to press for the Monday edition with no real-time blogging...

The new age of media coverage is on us, and we are experiencing it first hand. Geoff is as close to a real-time ESPNNEWS reporter that Seattle will get. Great Job.

PS~ Peter Angelos, Clay Bennett just called. He is supposed to be THE MOST-HATED-OWNER FOR THE STATE OF WASHINGTON, Not You!!!

Posted by HtownM

6:43 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Can I just point out that Dreyer's info came form an "email" in Venezuela..... and that's confirmed how?

Posted by mark

6:43 PM, Jan 28, 2008

WOW....

Posted by Bob Davis

6:44 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Man, I'm getting tired of all this.

I'm sure all the players are really tired of getting jerked around.

Either make the deal or give up. Must be tough to be an Orioles fan.

Posted by MarinersGuy

6:47 PM, Jan 28, 2008

If Jones thought he was speaking off the record, then yes, your source is at fault. If he was told that his comments would not be printed, then it isn't really his fault they were leaked.

Otherwise, and more likely, he just told the truth because nobody told him he couldn't. Welcome to the real world, kid, where telling the truth is only permitted with team consent.

Posted by Brian

6:50 PM, Jan 28, 2008

I'm not a Mariner or an Oriole fan but how in the world do the Mariners offer that kind of package and not get Johan Santana? Seems to me like if they offered Jones, Clement and the rest of the package to Minnesota for Santana, then they'd have the best pitcher in the game.

Posted by Scout

6:50 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Everyone chill. They are just athletes and business execs, warts and all. At least we are not dealing with out of control UW football players: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004148820_rbpharms280.html

Posted by Alaskan

6:57 PM, Jan 28, 2008

I don't understand what Geoff is so fired up about. This is the way the game is played - the owners and management are under no obligation to tell the truth to the masses who're looking for rumor mill fodder. I think Cardenas' credibility can withstand the likes of this. No one is taking this as seriously as Geoff.

Suggesting that Jones is a "clown" for doing what his boss probably told him to do is pretty classless, Geoff - almost as classless as telling him to do it (Bavasi?). Also, from reading Drayer's "article" again, I wouldn't say it's clear-cut that Jones suggested Cardenas missed the translation - it seems just as likely that Drayer herself threw in that little theory, between summarized AJ quotes.

Anyway, I'm holding on to the slim hope that Angelos will decide to sign EB to an extension, and leave us with our "prospects."

Posted by ian

7:02 PM, Jan 28, 2008

I have a suggestion for the 'reporters' - wait for something to happen and then report on it. You guys are always trying to get the jump on the story and make yourselves look like fools in the process. You guys beg for people to say something and then act like a bunch of piranha no matter what they say. Any wonder why people are a bit shy to talk to 'reporters'? Quit trying to blame everyone else for the circus that is the media.

Posted by vertigoman

7:03 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Wow,
Seems there are as many armchair journalists here as there are armchair GM's.
Geoff has every right (perhaps even an obligation) to back up his story. Furthermore, he has every right to back up a colleague whom Adam Jones is (I'm sure inadvertently) is dragging through the muck.

Posted by Jeffery

7:05 PM, Jan 28, 2008

you expect it to be done in the next few days? Well how about O's reaching extension agreement with Bedard in the next few days instead? Bedard now is saying he would entertain that idea, so why would Baltimore feel the urgency to trade him now?

Posted by vertigoman

7:07 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Why would the media blame people for being the media?
Get off your high horse. The only reason you're on this blog is to read and talk about the M's. You have every right to not pay attention to the "media".

Posted by Edgar

7:10 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Baker...don't be a dick. Jones never sabataged thsi deal on purpose and you a complete Moron for suggesting such a thing. Your source was wrong, deal with it, it happens. Don't pin this on the kid because your chose to write a story baed of a less than credible source. Even so Jones has done our team good if he was the cause for this deal faltering...Erik Bedard is not the answer.

Go Adam Jones, and go Mariners. I uesed to respect you before these last few articles.

Posted by Alaskan

7:13 PM, Jan 28, 2008

vertigoman,
This isn't journalism, tt's blogging about rumors. Adam Jones didn't drag anyone through anything. Yesterday he said something. Today he said "no, I never said that" because his boss told him to. Geoff called Jones a clown for doing so:

"You know what? This situation is now becoming a circus and Angelos is far from the only clown. Let's look at what Adam Jones... is now telling people...."

I'm not talking about journalism. I'm talking about laying blame stricly where it belongs, without name-calling. Geoff can back up his story without the pettiness. He understands the world he's dealing with, so he should be able to ignore this garbage just like the rest of us.

Posted by Lance

7:14 PM, Jan 28, 2008

"But I don't like it when baseball players and management types try to pass off their mistakes on to the shoulders of reporters from other countries whose language skills make them an easy target." ---Geoff

If this was a fabrication from Adam, well, like you said, he's 22 years old.

Maybe he was just falling back of what's always worked for Ichiro.

You're right, Geoff, about Bavasi's quote, though. That didn't come off so well, I'm sure. Sounds like AJ is pretty peeved about getting pulled off the team in the middle of a championship series.

By the way, Geoff, I can't play in the snow. It's only rain.

Looks like all the 'snow' is in Baltimore. With a bit in Venezuela, too.

Posted by Zach C

7:14 PM, Jan 28, 2008

haha im sure if he was reporting about the trade being dead you would feel a little differently...

you sound like a 7th grader...

Posted by Zach C

7:15 PM, Jan 28, 2008

that was directed to edgar's post

Posted by vertigoman

7:18 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Edgar now seems to have a personal stake in the matter.
It has to be black and white.
Jones and Bedard
Pro and con
Ussmariner and Baker

None of his own thoughts I'm sure. Probably did not read Geoff's post. He heard the recording of Adam Jones saying he was going to Balt as the ...
Whatever, I'm sure it's akin to a brickwall

Posted by David

7:21 PM, Jan 28, 2008

"I'm not a Mariner or an Oriole fan but how in the world do the Mariners offer that kind of package and not get Johan Santana? Seems to me like if they offered Jones, Clement and "

I am not a fan of eiother team either but it seems to me that the Marriners were fleecing the Orioles in this trade how do you get one of the best pitchers in the AL and NOT have to give up Jeff Clement..Adam Jones yes he could be a stud but at this point he is just a prospect, you are also talking about the Orioles getting 2 relief pitchers and some 19 year old kid who struggld in A ball dosent sound all that great of a trade to me if I am a Orioles fan...I would think Jones, Clement and then Tillman as the 3rd piece and not the second piece is less of a risk for Baltimore..

Posted by vertigoman

7:22 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Alaskan,
What are your journalism credentials?

Posted by griz

7:22 PM, Jan 28, 2008

At least there is one team in the MLB that is run worse than we are. I think it's funny that despite our intentions to overpay for a pitcher, Baltimore won't let us.

Posted by Edgar

7:27 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Zach C

--------------

No I'm sorry, if this deal is dead and I still think what Baker did was wrong. Baker is a grown man and if he can't deal with the fact that he chose to go witha less than reputable source. Thats his fault. Saying this is Jones fault...how low can you get?

You chose your source, live with it. Jones had nothing to do with this and even if he did, what he said was not enought to kill the deal. Baker is pissed cause he messed up and now his reputation has a little sratch next to it. Low a grown man blaming a 22 year old kid.

Posted by Husky Fan in New York

7:28 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Sorry if this has been answered before, but if Jones isn't our starting RF, then who is it most likely to be?

Posted by scottM

7:30 PM, Jan 28, 2008

The phenomenon here is not pro-trade VS anti-trade, it's textbook 21 century journalism:

GEOFF did his job well, read the signs accurately, reported his information factually and honored the urgency of the situation by acting quickly.

ADAM JONES is a 22-year-old kid who was forthcoming with a reporter in Venezuela and told the media what his marching orders were.

BILL BAVASI announced at media day, a few days prior to this, that a major deal was in the works for a #1 pitcher. GEOFF and everyone else is smart enough to infer that this would almost certainly be for BEDARD or (as a remote possibility) for SANTANA. There are no other TOR pitchers being shopped.

GEOFF does his job by using his Latin American professional connections to learn that ADAM JONES is on the move to Baltimore for a physical. GEOFF has excellent reason to trust those sources.

BILL BAVASI, with the cat already all but out of the bag, neglects to tell ADAM JONES not to speak of the off-to-Baltimore marching orders to anyone.

ADAM JONES's comments to the media are honest and diplomatic to the M's and the O's, but the next day he is wearing a gag and, to backpedal, he blames, not his boss, BAVASI, but the Spanish speaking reporter for a mix-up. Not a good show of integrity, Mr. Jones.

In Baltimore, ANDY McPHAIL leaves BAVASI hanging out to dry. This deal for McPHAIL, beyond the trade itself, is the first big opportunity for him to learn if he is ANGELOS's lapdog or his own man. McPHAIL obviously told BAVASI plenty, but ANDY is only the number two ranking control freak with the O's, not the big Daddy Macchieveli-"O".

ANGELOS, in his perverse megalomaniac style of ownership (reminiscent of Al Davis and the Raiders) is loving the limelight, and, without saying a word, is telling the world right now just who is in charge here. (Hint: it ain't GEOFF BAKER!)

BAVASI is sweating bricks and, instead of just telling ADAM JONES not to say even a word to anyone, he puts the 22-year-old in a position of outright lying. JONES is eager for his first full season in the show, and is trying to keep his bosses happy, whomever that boss might be, in a situation with the O's where the boss isn't sure if he's the boss. AJ just had his first fielding error of the season.

But make not mistake, the big bossman right now is ANGELOS, who, in the best interest of the O's management and longterm morale of the franchise, would be best advised to allow this trade to happen. But he is not a man to be advised by anyone, so who knows?

BAVASI has the bigger mouth here than ADAM JONES, by far. McPHAIL is probably a bit more than pissed at BB for not staying mum until ANGELO was appeased internally. If the deal doesn't happen, blame ANGELOS foremost, and BAVASI second (because we will never know whether ANGELOS would have or would not have scrapped this deal, had all been allowed to unfold behind the scene.

GEOFF BAKER made a lot of instant noise around the world by doing his job.

Fifteen years ago, this scoop would have taken much longer to develop/print/ disseminate. Whichever way the trade winds blow, this situation, and story, is textbook, and should be used as a teaching model in Journalism Schools.

Posted by vertigoman

7:31 PM, Jan 28, 2008

"Baker...don't be a dick."-Alaskan
"I'm not talking about journalism. I'm talking about laying blame stricly where it belongs, without name-calling. "-Alaskan

Do you know what you're talking about?
Are you just acting out because you disagree with a trade?

Posted by Go M's

7:31 PM, Jan 28, 2008

HFINY,

Baker said that Brad Wilkerson will sign a one year deal once the Bedard trade goes down.

GO M'S!

Posted by Zach C

7:32 PM, Jan 28, 2008

so its not Adams fault HE TOLD A REPORTER HE WAS LEAVING

Adam is a grown man too...

Posted by Chris from Bothell

7:35 PM, Jan 28, 2008

I find it amusing just how many new display names there in this rather contentious thread, about a non-story involving psycho-owner... er, Angelos... pulling a nutty and meddling at the last moment. Equally amusing that the usual cast o regulars - Merrill, OregonGal, ResinIsntCheating, etc. - seem largely absent.

I'm just sayin'.

Posted by Joof

7:38 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Hmm, I've bee reading blogs for other teams in the AL West. Fans for the Angels, the Athletics, and the Rangers are all looking forward to us trading for Bedard. The Ms blogs are pissed because we're trading away so much without replacement, and the only people that were happy were on Orioles blogs, but now their pissed because Angelos is rumored to have nixed the deal.

Interesting.

Posted by DrDetecto

7:39 PM, Jan 28, 2008

You are doing your job with class and integrity as usual, Geoff.

The fans clamor for hints about what might be going on, and you finally find some well-sourced info and share it, and now folks want to know why you are making yourself the story... LOL. You know and I know that if you get dealt the same cards again, you play them exactly the same way.

And you put your finger right on the revolting part of the whole deal, that manure flows downhill, down through Jones all the way to the South American folks who can be presumed to offer the least resistance.

You would think that at age 75 and having climbed all the business mountains, eventually the narcissism and control-freakism would taper off a LITTLE bit. But there is a reason that people deal with Peter Angelos as rarely as possible.

What an add you are to the Mariners blog-o-sphere. Keep up da good work...

Posted by ctillisc

7:39 PM, Jan 28, 2008

edgar = doutsche bag

Posted by vertigoman

7:39 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Also,
If Jones said one thing and then back peddled at the expense of the reporter quoting him then yes he's accountable. Because he's 22 means he's young enough to spill the beans but in no way exonerates him from lying. He's a grown man not a kid. He's not a tool that has to lie because his soon to be former GM told him to. Lying lends nothing to Adam Jones' credibility yet you question Geoff's ethics because he made a joke about a clown?

Posted by bison

7:42 PM, Jan 28, 2008

What a great read, informative, logical, halarious.

Posted by ctillisc

7:46 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Edgar = Doutsche bag. thought i would throw that in one more time

Posted by Rob

7:48 PM, Jan 28, 2008

I'll second that.

Edgar= Douche Bag

Posted by Lance

7:57 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Well, I'm one to say Geoff is no liar nor a fabricator of what he reports. If he says he heard Adam's words on tape I believe him. And, if some of you yo-yos don't then don't bother reading the blog, and certainly don't comment on what he writes!

DrD, I agree with everything you wrote.

And, if Bavasi failed to tell AJ to keep his mouth shut then lay the blame (credit?) at his feet. If AJ didn't realize how far the web and blosphere reached he does now. Bet he won't make that mistake again.

Posted by Chopper58

8:02 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Edgar, your constant criticism of Geoff is laughable. Please post something that adds to the debate, not just down right criticism.

Geoff, you have done an astounding job on this scoop and thank you for your regular insightful blogs. Top job as always.

Posted by ctillisc

8:07 PM, Jan 28, 2008

geoff, you rule

Posted by joe

8:07 PM, Jan 28, 2008

what a joke...these men should be ashamed of themselves for playing such childish games. Peoples lives are being screwed with. Just sickening.

Posted by rockchewy

8:11 PM, Jan 28, 2008

dont trade clement! stick to your guns bavasi

Posted by Capella

8:13 PM, Jan 28, 2008

HAHAHAHA....Angelos Strikes Again- I love it. I'm a Baltimore fan so I know all to well about the way he rolls. In this case though, I believe this is a trade that works out for both of us and as much of an a** as Angelos is he will sign off on this one. He's just taking his time and tending to the most important of issues... His Own. Like I said he's an A**. I'm gonna miss Bedard though Seattle. The Man is Filthy and those Angels arent gonna know what to do with him.

Posted by patrick

8:28 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Thank you Geoff Baker for your honest journalism. It is not right for people to be dragging YOUR name through the mud, including the people at USS Mariner, for reporting on Adam Jones' lie. You did what any good journalist does and that is tell it like it is and I praise you for that. Our growing blog, Bleeding Blue and Teal (Search for us and check us out!), tries to emulate your honest reporting instead of the biased, forced opinions of blogs like USS Mariner.

Keep up the good work!

Posted by Walrus

8:30 PM, Jan 28, 2008

I hardly agree with anything that Taro writes, but he is correct here. This discussion will not help Jones, Bedard, Orioles, Mariners or anyone else.
Someone screwed up...let it go before we completely piss off Angelos

Posted by hoop59

8:31 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Lay off Jones geez!

Posted by ET90210

8:34 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Off topic, but great article on the 2008 Phillies team. It picks the Mets to win division though.

Posted by Buschleaguer

8:35 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Geoff,

Been followin' your reporting since you got here and I have to second Dr. D's opinion that you have been an incredible addition to the M's blogosphere. Don't let the flamers get you down, probably some 13 year olds with too much time on their hands ;)

As a heads up to all: Right now, FSN is replaying the epic battle from the second week of last year - the King vs. Dice-K......and the King is dealin'........

Posted by Joof

8:44 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Wait, why are people blaming USS Mariner for all the outrage at Baker? Dave's been supporting Baker this whole time. He has posts over there saying Baker's the only one telling the truth and all that. USS Mariner gets a bad rap from pretty much everyone. =/

Posted by Adam

8:50 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Patrick - go ahead and link us to the USS Mariner post which criticized Geoff. Since this all went down in the last couple of hours, it should be very easy to find.

Aaahh. Here lies the rub. Patrick, in a pretty horrible piece of advertisement, bashes another blog and lies about what it is saying about Geoff - all in a pathetic attempt to steer traffic to his own blog.

Weak, Patrick. Don't count on me ever visiting your blog.

Posted by nyc_mariners

8:59 PM, Jan 28, 2008

long time blog fan. far away from seattle, but the blog is a great way to stay in touch with Ms news.

geoff, great job, keep it up!

cant wait for seattle playing at the yankees stadium with bedard pitching.

Posted by Tom

8:59 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Uh.....try harder

Posted by BrianL

8:59 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Dave and Derek of the USSM have always spoken fondly of Geoff Baker. They admit they don't agree with everything Geoff says, but they have been quoted as saying that Geoff is the best beat writer the Mariners have had in ages.

So, no, the USSM doesn't hate Geoff Baker. Furthermore, Geoff Baker doesn't hate the USSM. Go back in his archives and you'll see that both parties have gotten along rather well considering the fact that there are two completely different mindsets at work.

What we're seeing here is frustration from both the sabermetric camp and the traditional camp spilling over. Both sides feel strongly about this trade. The saber community feels that Adam Jones, George Sherrill and prospects have more value than Erik Bedard. The traditional community feels that having a number one starter is more valuable than Adam Jones, George Sherrill and prospects. There are merits to both arguments

Frankly, after six years of futility, I don't blame either side for being upset at the other. Understand, however, that both of these groups want what's best for the franchise, they just have different ideas of how to improve the club.

So, to both sides of this coin, cool off. If Geoff and Dave can stay composed during this, so can you.

Posted by Adam

9:00 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Patrick - Just to prove what a hack you are, here's the comment of Dave Cameron regarding this entire mess:

Uhh, Baker isnít dragging Jones through the mud. Heís the only one here telling the truth.

The Mís are lying. The Mís are telling Adam Jones to lie. The Orioles are lying. Bakerís being honest. And youíre pissed at him?

You all are weird.

You are a lying sack, Patrick. I'm sure your blog is just as worthless...

Posted by OlyOle

9:07 PM, Jan 28, 2008

This could very quickly become such a public relations nightmare for the Orioles (the McPhail/Angelos chasm) that it could easily scuttle the whole deal. A lot of that blame might go to AJ for spilling the beans - but who knows, that's either good or bad news for the M's. Only time will tell.

Posted by Salsera

9:08 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Cardenas needs to check his facts better. He reported in today's Diario Panorama that Jones left Venezuela yesterday.

Posted by glenn

9:15 PM, Jan 28, 2008

ESPN is now reporting that both jones and sherrill have told teammates that they are to get a physical becuase of the trade to baltimore....

Posted by CMH

9:23 PM, Jan 28, 2008

"baltimoresun.com" ... check it out under sports ... lots of unhappy comments from O's fans & reporters regarding the situation.

Posted by playz2win

9:29 PM, Jan 28, 2008

yes, finally an honest man

Posted by Erik

9:32 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Awesome job, Geoff. I'm glad to see you step up for a fellow journalist in such a big way, please try to ignore the people who think Adam Jones walks on water.

Posted by oregongal

9:45 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Gee, Geoff, canít a gal leave for a few days to make the Northwest safe from geology without an earthquake going through the Seattle baseball world? I get it; I promise I will always read your blog before going to bed!

I donít have the energy to read through the however-many hundred comments since I last checked Wed or Thur. I assume thereís an assortment of the same comments that have been posted, only with the temperature turned up, so thereís not much I can add.

The one thing I will say is that this situation with AJ is another example of why young men going into high-profile professional sports should get media training. For about 15 years, I had the authority to say which of the staff at the organizations I worked at could talk to reporters, and most of the time I kept them apart and did it myself. The staff that got into the most trouble were the ones who were trying to be open and earnest, and either bored the reporters to tears (so the new information didnít get out) or gave out more information than could be scientifically or legally backed up (taking everyone down roads that were fruitless).

It seems to me AJ was initially just trying to be open and helpful (though certainly not boring). I think the concept of blaming a reporter on another continent stinks, and sounds just so Mariners (and management in most places). Iím sorry AJ did it, but I suspect heís under a helluva lot of pressure/recriminations right now, without a lot of resources on his side to help him through this.

And to think I was sick of this topic before this all happenedÖ

Posted by James from Walla Walla

9:50 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Geoff,
I can't imagine that Bedard would want to stay with a team that is rebuilding at present. So, why the talk of an extension X5 yrs with Baltimore even being considered?? He should be thrilled to go to a team who is possible ably contending for the playoffs. And, pitch in a pitcher friendly park. Not to mention putting up great numbers with the Mariners and hitting the BIG free agent payday after 2 yrs.

Why? Can NOT Baltimore admit a trade is possible if all parties can work out a few sticking points.
(ie physicals) as Chopper58 commented!

I truely hope that if after this deal fails or succeeds that we NEVER try and do business with Angelos' Orioles again! This is a big cluster...!

Let move on to a different organization, Pirates for instance. I'd be real happy with Ian Snell and maybe Jason Bay!

Finally, it was reported that even Mananger Lois Sojo confirmed that AJ was being sent to Baltimore for a physical. So, Jones was NOT the only source to maybe leak the news prematurely.

Posted by Jake34

9:51 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Not sure why there is a need to critize Jones here, I'm sure the M's told him to lie. Lets face it, as annoying as this is that Peter Angelos is doing this, it isn't his job to make the media happy. He's just trying to do what he feels is best for his team (even if no one else in Baltimore does). No need to start throwing blame to others cause the deal hit a snag.

Posted by scottM

9:54 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Anyone looking to blame this soap opera, or a scrapped deal on Adam Jones is loopy. I feel sorry for the O' fans who have to live with a control-freak owner. And, even though this has been an entertaining show, I feel bad for GEOFF that he has to painstakingly document his journalistic leads and the integrity of his story. I don't always agree with GEOFF, and will call him out when I think so, but this is a case where he is being scrutinized for doing his job very well!

Posted by Alaskan

10:03 PM, Jan 28, 2008

vertigoman,

"Baker...don't be a dick."-Alaskan
Nice, very nice. I like the way you make up the first quote to make me seem like a hypocrite. Very clever. Do you have a blog for these gems, or do you share them all here?

"Do you know what you're talking about?"
Yes, I have a pretty good idea.

"Are you just acting out because you disagree with a trade?"
Perhaps that's what's driving my emotional response, yes. I don't think that invalidates my point, though.

"Blogging is journalism especially when the blogger in question has credentials. Who are you to tell him how to do his job?"
I'm a person who knows something about showing class, and I can tell when a blogger isn't showing any. And I'm not so much telling Geoff how to do his job as how to NOT do his job.

"He's not a tool that has to lie because his soon to be former GM told him to."
Jones wants to play. To play, he has to make his bosses' happy. If Bavasi tells him to tell a white lie, who are we to judge him? And what is the expense to the reporter, exactly? Does anyone who understands baseball take Jones' denial seriously? No. That sounds like a harmless white lie to me.

"Lying lends nothing to Adam Jones' credibility yet you question Geoff's ethics because he made a joke about a clown?" I don't judge my athletes by their credibility. I do judge Geoff that way. Geoff did not make a joke about a clown. He made a joke about Adam Jones being a clown. It's petty, and I think it's beneath someone with Mr. Baker's credibility.

Generally, I think Geoff does a great job. I think in this instance he crossed a line. I've never taken a journalism course, but I've grown up in polite society, and I know poor manners when I see it. That's all.

Posted by Geoff hater

10:34 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Quit moaning and complaining Geoff....geeze...

Ya sound like some street thug who wants to throw down because of the idiotic notion that someone "dissed" ya.

I dont think reporters in Venezuela need you Mr Baker attempting to save their integrity.

You wanted to be the first to break the story in the US...you jumped on the bandwagon like everyone else did....

Get over it..

Maybe you should stop trying to preyend that you're telling the truth in your motives

Posted by m's r bad

10:40 PM, Jan 28, 2008

ur an idiot

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

10:47 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Adam-your self righteous defense of USSM against Patrick is rather pathetic. People have a right to dislike or disagree with your idols. Honestly this hero worship and emo responses are silly. You don't have to bully people into agreeing with your point of view.

Geoff has every right to post what he did, this is his blog. He is a reporter, Jones lied, he can call him a clown if he wants too. Geoff stated it best when he told everyone to get a life.

Posted by Joof

10:51 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Wait, the defense of USS Mariner from attacks that they hated Geoff Baker? The ones where he posted quotes from the author himself saying that Baker is the only one telling the truth right now, and telling everyone that the clown comment was taken out of context? Man, I hate it when people clear up misconceptions too! I love people not knowing both sides of a story!

Posted by Tank Farmer

10:52 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Druv, I haven't posted to this blog before, but your ignorance was inspiring. Remember, when it comes to Web sites and blogs, if you don't value what's provided, don't go there.

Posted by James from Walla Walla

10:56 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Geoff,

Great overall job!!

Since stumbling on to your blog I have enjoyed hours of reading the pros & cons of this Bedard trade. We appreciate that you take time as a writer to blog with us, even during X-mas. Over this time I generally agree with most of your facts concerning this trade. You do become overly defensive, at times, when Adam and others attack your opinions and facts. Just keep this in mind in the future. OK?

As far as the Jones mess, validate your story to us and leave it to speak for it self. No need to call Jones names! You are above that! Alaskan good point! This is Bavasi's mess leave it at his door step! And, blame ANGELOS foremost, like he didn't know of the trade. BS!

Keep Up The Good Work!

Posted by Alaskan

11:05 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Resin,
"Geoff has every right to post what he did, this is his blog. He is a reporter, Jones lied, he can call him a clown if he wants too." Absolutely. If we didn't get Geoff's opinion, it would just be another article in the Times. Geoff's opinion is what makes it work, I think. I was just stating a difference of opinion. I'm assuming that it's okay to disagree, and not just agree with my idol, right?

"Geoff stated it best when he told everyone to get a life." I missed that one. I skimmed through the blog twice and couldn't find it.

Anyway, I'm nitpicking. I'm sure Jones isn't going to be bothered much by Geoff's comments, if he even hears them. I don't understand the tone of this entry, except that Baker doesn't like it when a fellow reporter is basically called a liar. Still, like I said, given who we're talking about, I don't see how Geoff would be so bothered or surprised. These people will lie through their teeth this time of year, trying to preserve their secrecy. Sure it's stupid, but that's the way it is, and no one's reputation will be ruined by their involvement. No harm, no foul I think.

As for Adam's defense of USSM against Patrick's claims, I thought it was pretty clear. Adam pointed out that USSM wasn't disagreeing with Baker, as Patrick had claimed. I don't understand why this bothers you so much Resin, but I'm impressed by consistency in hating USSM, regardless of the specifics of the argument. It borders on the comical, if it didn't feel so malicious.

Posted by Adam

11:07 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Resin - I really don't know how to make this any clearer. Here's what Patrick said initially:

And here's what USSMariner said:

You all are weird.

I don't idolize USSMariner. I agree with most, but not all, of its analysis. Patrick has every right to disagree w/USSMariner. That's fine. But if he's going to come on here and try to peddle his own wares by attacking another blog, the least he could do is tell the truth and be accurate.

I'm not trying to bully him into thinking anything. I'm merely pointing out to him that he was lying through his teeth, which he unquestionably was.

I don't care if it's USSMariner or Geoff's blog, or any other blog - if he's going to bash other blogs in order to promote his own, the least he could do is not lie about it. That is what was offensive.

Posted by vertigoman

11:21 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Alaskan,
Oops. did I get you mixed up with Edgar. My bad. You guys do sound alike. So you're not a hypocrite. My apologies.
However, your judgement seems to be touched with a twinge of fanboyism. Your strong feelings towards Jones exonerates him for telling a white lie that implicates a journalist lied or misquoted him. That might not be a big deal to you:

"Does anyone who understands baseball take Jones' denial seriously? No. That sounds like a harmless white lie to me."

It sounds like Geoff cares and doesn't think it's harmless. He understands baseball. Actually, seems like a great deal of ones life as a beat writer is understanding baseball. I'd take it personally if someone lies and the cover up called into question the job that I did. It's called integrity. That trumps politeness.

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

11:33 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Alaskan you called Geoff baker a dick. Get off your high horse, malicious? Your a lost cause dude. I disagree and I strongly believe Dave Cameron couldn't scout a Ryan Howard in a crowd of career minor leaguers. That's my opinion, it's not malicious like your name calling to Geoff. Get real dude.

Posted by Resin isn't Cheating

11:42 PM, Jan 28, 2008

I confused Alaskan with Edgar. Sorry Alaskan, my bad.

Posted by Merrill

11:43 PM, Jan 28, 2008

Adam, I can't speak for Patrick, but I think he was referring to the posters on Dave's blog, not to Dave himself. He did say "people" at USSM.

Alaskan, the guy who misquoted didn't make up the quote. Edgar posted it, so that other dude mistook him for you. I understand your points about no one's reputation being hurt by lying ballplayers, and you're probably right, but credibility is fundamental to a reporter. Jones didn't have to lie, no matter what his bosses told him. He could have just said he shouldn't have said anything. If that makes any sense. Maybe Geoff overreacted a little bit, but I understand why.

Maybe the delay with Angelos isn't so much about ego and control as it is about some sort of personal family matter, which the stories I've seen seem to be implying.

Vertigoman, Resin, that was Edgar who called Baker a dick, not Alaskan. Alaskan's been pretty moderate, balanced, and respectful all along.

Posted by Jeff

12:11 AM, Jan 29, 2008

Geoff, thank you for doing your job, and doing it well.

This brings up a question for me: do you believe in letting subjects go "off the record"? There are reporters who tell subjects they're interviewing that they don't do off the record. Basically, "if you don't want me to report something, then don't say it." It helps when things like this happen and a person tries to backpeddle out of comments they made. Just wondering if you prescribe to that theory or not.

Posted by vertigoman

1:18 AM, Jan 29, 2008

You know, it's so easy for all of us who want to leave comments here and on other blogs. You can hide behind a screen, take sides, make accusations ,call people names etc...
Geoff, Dave, Derek, Jason and that Dr. Detecto dude (amongst others) at least put themselves out there. They put thought into opinions and articles. Often times very informative (Dave's number crunching, Geoff's front row seat to all things Mariners). Alaskan is right, that's what makes the blog thing work.
With self comes experience, with experience comes thought, with thought comes opinion. Sometimes one gets a little snarky defending ones self. Sometimes that's ok.

Posted by Merrill

2:18 AM, Jan 29, 2008

Also, you guys, there're two other factors in play, to me: Geoff has got to defend his friend/professional relationship/source both from a standpoint of friendship and from a standpoint of protecting and defending his own credibility as a professional reporter.

When someone besmirches--like that word? kindof a funny, word, huh? I like to go around muttering it under my breath just because of the sound.. "besmirches, besmirches, besmirches"...--anyway, when someone maligns the word of a friend, who is only being attacked because he tried to be nice to you and extend a normal professional courtesy, then in my book you're honor-bound to stand up for him.

The second issue of defending his own professional reputation is self-explanatory; I just wanted to point it out.

Geoff's been accused of some pretty bizarre things, and although I think he doesn't need me to defend him, I am a professionally trained journalist who has worked in the industry.

What he did was legitimate, timely, and professional. Since when is a direct quote of the principle in what will no doubt be a mythic, history-shattering trade, not news?

Maybe, as Jeff seems to be wondering could possibly be the case, AJ thought he was off the record for some reason, but if you're working in that profession and a source says "off the record," then it's off the record.

D'ya think maybe they were hangin' in a bar?

More likely is that Jones got excited or overwhelmed in the moment, lost his head, and ran at the mouth when he really knew better, or should have, had he been properly listening, and that ultimately Bavasi will shoulder the blame to protect the young man. That'd be the man-up thing to do.

There's no teacher like experience.

Posted by sam

2:24 AM, Jan 29, 2008

This is ridiculous!
Fine, don't make the trade. Jones, Sherill and the others are a huge asset to the future of this club. From a business stand point I'd rescind the offer. We shouldn't have to grovel. We know we have a great team that will make a serious run for playoffs. They, (Baltimore) are in more need then we are. Yes, we need another a starting pitcher but I would rather do business with a team who shows a bit of respect. Angelos sounds like he has a huge ego.

Posted by Chip1010

2:52 AM, Jan 29, 2008

Not claiming to be any sort of flawless expert on journalistic ethics or anything, but I'm an editor/headline writer at one of the bigger newspapers in the United States. . . . I admire that Geoff is standing up for himself and a newspaper that is being hung out to dry by people who appear to have played their cards wrong from the beginning and see an easy scapegoat. When you know you're right, you beat the drum. Keep it going, Geoff. If you know you're right, don't back down.

Also, this probably isn't the most appropriate time to mention this, but ADAM, you're a brave soul. I agree with most of what you say here, which is nice, but more impressive is the way you handle yourself here as a constant target of vitriol. Kudos.

Posted by Tumwater

3:28 AM, Jan 29, 2008

Bavasi obviously told Adam what to say, that's too rehearsed to be from a young baseball player. I'm sure Bavasi also came up with the lame cover-up. Only Clowns here are Angelos, Bavasi and Baker.

Posted by jc2scoops

3:32 AM, Jan 29, 2008

As a lifelong O's fan and thereby victim of the Angelos regime, don't be suprised if Angelos spite and vindictiveness is enough to kill this deal. He's done worse for less

Posted by rich0321

3:55 AM, Jan 29, 2008

That was a awsome article !! this will get done they just don't want to lose face at this point. Mr Angelos stay the F---- out of things you pay a GM the money sit back and watch the game ....

Posted by Mr. X

4:53 AM, Jan 29, 2008

Geoff is 100% right. All a reporter has is his credibility, and Adam Jones (intentionally or not) just called a reporter's credibility into question. Just to cover his own rear end. It's something that a child would do, not a real man. I'm disappointed, but not surprised. I doubt if Adam Jones (as a top athelete) has ever had to take responsibility for very much in his entire short life. UW Football fans know where I'm coming from.

Resin, careful who you engage in debate here. You just may see your quotes again on another website, if you know what I'm saying.

Posted by Mr. X

5:08 AM, Jan 29, 2008

And oh by the way, I'm hoping that Jones has indeed left Venezuela already. If someone shady takes offense to his selfish lies, he might just find out that machetes aren't only used for clearing brush down there. And gasoline isn't just used as fuel (for cars). Hopefully Mr. Cardenas isn't friends with Ugeth Urbina.

Posted by dogman

5:10 AM, Jan 29, 2008

so what is it with angelos? is he afraid the mariners are suddenly going to wake up and realize they are tradeing away their future and one great(Jones) ballplayer for a guy who couldn't get his grandmother out before last year? that must be it....

Posted by bsstecks

5:43 AM, Jan 29, 2008

This all kind of reminds me of the presidential elections just before everyone announces they are going to run, and then later jus before they announce they are dropping out...

The story breaks about 2 or 3 days before they actually announce, though, anyone who knows anything knows it's going to happen eventually anyway.

Occasionally you get the candidate who calls a press conference when he's doing AWFUL in the polls and says he has a big announcement, everyhone assumes he's going to drop out, then he gets in front of the podium and says:

"I've decided...(insert drum roll here)...not to drop out yet."

OK. Well, that guy usually drops out later anyway.

My point is, everyone relax. It's dumb, it's frusterating, but theres no reason to blame anyone or call anyone liars. It's all baseball politics, the announcement will still be made sometime. We just all know whats coming thanks to Geoff.

P.S. I do a little work in politics and you all don't know a damn thing about what unprofessional jernalism and irresponsible reporting is until you've worked and lived in DC. Maybe the Venezuelan reporter was a bit premature, but come on, it doesn't really matter...also, ESPN, MLB, and about 95 other sports writers ran with the story, so, someone thought it was credible, so sit back and wait for the ACTUAL announcement, which should come in one or 3 days.

Posted by lwl

5:44 AM, Jan 29, 2008

wow

Posted by thatgirl

6:05 AM, Jan 29, 2008

The responsibility of this gaff by Jones in the press lies squarely on the shoulders of Bavasi. How can Bavasi be a GM and NOT be aware of who he's dealing with in Angelos and KNOW all the players needed to be told up front to keep their yaps shut?!?! Shows poor management of communication all the way around. Jones is just a kid with alot of excitement about just being able to go somewhere and play ball.

I'm not in favor of this deal in the first place and I hope Angelos stops it cold now.

Posted by East of Enumclaw M's Fan

6:29 AM, Jan 29, 2008

Wow! How did we get here from there?

Posted by benihana

6:41 AM, Jan 29, 2008

Oh Geoff...I love this blog. And I believe that you would only report the truth, and I know you like to put the art of journalism on a pedestal, which if fine. This bit just seemed to read extra bitter, and while you made valid points along the way, you could not keep your anger from bleeding through. I think it is the tone of the piece that is weakening some of what you are saying, and soliciitng some uneducated, poorly written pot shots.

Baseball owners lie. A lot. Just simmer down a bit, it will likely happen again.

On another note...PATRICK...that was pretty shameless, tactless, worthless advertising.

Posted by Tom

6:49 AM, Jan 29, 2008

Yeah, I gotta lay a little blame on Bavasi. Jones is a kid, he'll elarn from this mistake, but Bavasi should have told him don't reveal anything about a possible trade to anyone. No excuse there.

Posted by benihana

6:58 AM, Jan 29, 2008

Yeah definitely! Someone had to tell the kid he wasn't supposed to say anything. He was just being honest and open with a reporter, and he shouldn't be getting grilled for it.

Posted by Saltherring

7:19 AM, Jan 29, 2008

The real "clown" here is Geoff Baker. He has allowed himself to be caught up in the "he said, she said" rumor mill that is baseball. In doing so, he has contributed to the hype that has impaired the Orioles and Mariners from completing a trade. A deal is not done until it is done, so cut out the mustard, hot dog, and report the facts.

Posted by Ryan

7:21 AM, Jan 29, 2008

" Couldn't get his grandmother out?" I don't think that's a fair assessment of Erik Bedard. He had a very good year last year, he wasn't horrible before that, he just plays on a lousy team.

Posted by scrapiron

7:23 AM, Jan 29, 2008

The issue here is simple. Why should ANYONE have to lie? Jones, Bavasi and McPhail originally told the truth and all got their hand slapped later and tried to cover up the story. Geoff has just reported the truth all along and continues to do so. Kudos, Mr.Baker.

The reason is because Peter Angelos is taking a page from the George Steinbrenner school of ownership where he wants himself to be the story.

This deal WILL go down, but only after Angelos gets to have his press conference so he can tell the citizens of Baltimore that they should line up and worship him.

It's interesting that now there is all this talk that the deal is dead because Bedard is talking extension. I bet he IS talking extension, but with Bavasi. And the coverup continues....

Posted by Ryan

7:25 AM, Jan 29, 2008

So, we have Bavasi and Angelos trying to swing a deal. Yeah, good luck!! We'll be lucky if anything happens at all. I am in favor of the trade, it just needs to get done.

Posted by Adam

8:11 AM, Jan 29, 2008

Geoff - Thanks for your hard work. I've said it before and I'll say it again: This is a great blog and Mariner fans are lucky to have you around. Thanks for your hard work.

And for those bashing Geoff: Doesn't his body of work stand for something? We have absolutely no reason to believe Geoff is being dishonorable. At least that's not his reputation.

Posted by weebs

8:12 AM, Jan 29, 2008

Angelos is killing me, just do it, or don't do it. I'm so sick of dancing around this. People have no respect for you anyways Angelos, so stop trying to save face or get revenge and just do what makes your team better.

Posted by bsstecks

8:19 AM, Jan 29, 2008

This is still mind boggling why everyone is SO angry. People, lay off the blame game. There was a mistake made, that is all, Jones feels bad, Geoff I'm sure feels led on, though I suspect there is truth to his reports that we'll find out in short bit.

Don't be so hateful about this. Either a trade will get done or it won't. either way there is positives to take out of it and calling people liars and names and telling them out stupid they are won't make any of this any better...just chill out. Let this ride out and go buy your mariners gear for the next season...I want a foam finger with Buhners bald head on it, anyone know where I can get one?

Posted by Chet Masters

8:22 AM, Jan 29, 2008

If Jones is the reason this deal falls through, the entire city owes this 22 yr old a beer. The Jones/Triunfel duo could be an unstoppable force. Still praying, still praying.

Posted by dadling

8:46 AM, Jan 29, 2008

A big too-doo about nothing....my mom would say...

this pitcher ain't won anything at all.....
didn't they do the same with Richie?? 1 good year..then collapse.....we get the collapse....

Mr Bavasi is in a tough biz...however, I believe he is proving himself to be incapable of doing a first class job....

But, do the Mariners really REALLY want to win??
ALl they really REALLY have to do is field a competitive team to put people in the seats.....

I now believe that is the Mariners business plan..

Only fans really care at this level.....too bad...

Posted by Chris from Bothell

9:01 AM, Jan 29, 2008

"Changes are coming in the months ahead to our comment functionality that will allow us to better-control the content."

Sure could use those changes in this thread. I mean, damn.

On a baseball note - the only thing worrying me, after thinking about this development, is that not getting Bedard will lead to a panic move. Because Bavasi has done panic moves before.

No deal this week = Ian Snell for Adam Jones straight-up, next week?

I think the best thing that could happen for all involved is one of 2 things:

1. Bedard for Jones/Sherrill/Other happens. Yay.
2. Bedard deal doesn't happen, and management decides they're done for this offseason. Give the team a chance to jell, work with the pieces we have, try again in June and pull off a midseason trade if it actually looks like we have a shot at the Angels.

Unless some surprise Santana deal drops from the sky, there's really nothing left out there except leftovers. 28 other clubs have decided to move on with their seasons, having gotten tired of waiting for Santana or Bedard to "set the price of the market" or somesuch. We should follow suit.

Although, come to think of it, even though it'd never happen, it would be a nice parting shot at Angelos if we magically were able to turn around and make the EXACT same offer to the Twins for Santana, and end up landing him inside of like 3 or 4 days. It will never happen, but if it did, I'm sure I'd laugh myself all the way to the season ticket holder's line.

Posted by The Besmircher

9:09 AM, Jan 29, 2008

All you clowns, listen up! I have a new blog at besmircher.com which is asking all the control freaks of the world to participate. Sorry, Geoff, you're not invited. Angelos and Bavasi are invited, though. So are those CIA clowns who insisted there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Clayton Bennett, David Stern and Howard Schultz will get to tell us their true intentions toward the city of Seattle. OJ will let us know if the glove really fit.

Heaven has gone high-tech and all bloggy, and this forum is the gateway for you-know-who to have you clear the air.

Sign up if you got something to hide, 'cause you ain't getting past our Gateway mainframe until you participate.

St. Peter at the Gate, blogmaster

Posted by Penzphan

9:16 AM, Jan 29, 2008

Whoa, folks, slow down on the PGA bashing. Word around Baltimore (My Birthplace), is that Peter Angelos is tied up with business matters on Monday and possibly Tuesday, and has not perused the deal as yet. Furthermore, I agree that if there is a chance to sign Bedard long term, that option should be explored. It seems that Bedard might have backed off of his agents' "one year at a time" contract statement. Anyway, I think we need to remain clear-headed for another day or so and see what develops. If the Birds truly need to go to rebuilding mode, then I support this deal. It will help both clubs, and is the best way for the O's to get the depth necessary to get back in contention. Time will tell what will be.

Go O's!

Posted by Chuck

9:44 AM, Jan 29, 2008

Alaskan said:
"Geoff has got to defend his friend/professional relationship/source both from a standpoint of friendship and from a standpoint of protecting and defending his own credibility as a professional reporter."

I agree that people were waiting for Geoff's response and we got it. He had to state his side of the story. And he was right.

Alaskan, on this one you are waaay out of line. There is no other way to put it.

Bavasi is the only one to place ANY blame on. He had to be aware of this deal being extremely important to the Ms. He also should have known what an idiot the owner of the O's is. That said, what Bavasi should have done was fly to Venezuela and pick up Jones and take him where he was to go in the states. He should have told Jones if anyone asked him anything about why he was pulled from the series, he was to reply, "no comment." Then Bavasi would be there to tell whatever lies needed to be told. The most ridiculous statement was made by Bavasi after the fact "that Jones had reached the objectives we set for him." Anyone that knows anything about baseball knows that would be bought by no one.

Posted by Lavon Watson

9:46 AM, Jan 29, 2008

Give the kid a break, I would guess as a rookie reporter you made a mistake or two along the way you wished you could get a do-over on. Jones is a rookie in every sense, that he said he was traded before the deal was done is no big deal. That's why major league organizations won't tell you guys anything about a trade until it's done. The Ms may have been the ones to error in not pulling Jones aside and coaching him on keeping his mouth shut. None the less it's a good lesson for the kid, "Don't tell the media squat". Thgere does that help you out.

Posted by Jason

10:34 AM, Jan 29, 2008

God I knew this stupid Angelos would stick his thumb in the pudding. This trade is DEAD in the water, welcome back HO-RAM. We wnt from having one of the best starting 5 to one of the worst with one player being removed. Horse Face Ramierez is a damn joke and should not be on a AAA team even, yet he is our 5th starter. GOD I am SALTY as All s@it.

Posted by Alaskan

10:34 AM, Jan 29, 2008

Chuck,

I don't know who you're quoting, but it ain't me.

Posted by heeeyyyuuuppp

4:20 PM, Jan 29, 2008

Why not sign bonds for 1 year 10 million???? He would be perfect as our DH..... Vidro when then platoon at second base, DH, and first base when sexon starts the year 6 for 125... Also would be a great bat off the bench. Why is no one jumping at bonds in the American league?? He is not going t be charged with anything.... We need some power from the left side.. lets bring in Bonds in his final years...With Bonds and Bedard we win the West hands down................

Posted by Cacarazo

9:14 AM, Jan 30, 2008

I already heard the recorded interview.....blame the owners, sorry Jones, you are just a puppet....and about the Journalist from Venezuela, he has 100% credibility as a journalist in his country, thats why he is quoted by any media all around the world, not just Venezuela.

Jul 4, 08 - 03:16 PM
Detroit Tigers at Mariners: 07/04 game thread

Jul 4, 08 - 12:28 PM
Holiday optimism

Jul 3, 08 - 11:13 PM
Better opposition tonight

Jul 3, 08 - 08:56 PM
Detroit Tigers at Mariners: 07/03 game thread

Jul 3, 08 - 05:45 PM
Hernandez throws, Rowland-Smith blogs, Clement struggles

Donate food for LeMay discount; tips to prep car for winternew
LeMay visitors can donate food to get a museum discount Throughout November, LeMay — America's Car Museum will offer a discount to those who don...