Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

August 18, 2008 8:22 PM

A couple updates

A couple things to pass along after being away for a few days:

--- First, the UW game at Stanford this year has been changed from Saturday, Feb. 7, to Sunday, Feb. 8 for TV purposes. That change is now reflected on the official schedule, which you can find here.
That's the week after the Super Bowl, for anyone wondering.

--- Former Husky Patrick Femerling didn't have a very good day for Germany against the Reedem Team today, going 0-3 with no points in eight minutes of a 106-57 win for the U.S.

--- Former North Carolina Tar Heel Alex Stepheson is apparently transferring to USC.

--- Abdul Gaddy is going to play in the Elite 24 Boost Mobile Classic next week.

--- Yes, I, too, thought Spencer Hawes had chosen a new career when the Olympics began this year, as well. Maybe that's why all those NBA guys came to all the swimming events.

All for now.

Posted by Pheel

8:05 AM, Aug 19, 2008

Phelps shaves his neck though.

Posted by Dave " The Meatball" Armistead

8:45 AM, Aug 19, 2008

To even lump a bum like Hawes in with an Olympic God like Phelps is sacrilege....please Bob, come up with some decent insight instead of this ridiculous joke.

Posted by Chatty Zona Catty

9:38 AM, Aug 19, 2008

ill give you a lump on the bum! ziiiing!

Posted by Dave "The Meatball" Armistead

11:30 AM, Aug 19, 2008

Seriously The Meat needs more insight.
Like the kind he got when he lived in
Europe and watched basketball.
Thus solidifying himself as the foremost
expert on european hoops. Did I mention
The Meat stayed at a Holiday Inn?

Posted by Dave " The Meatball" Armistead

11:58 AM, Aug 19, 2008

Come on kids, we don't need imposters. Meatball would never refer himself to " The Meat". Please stop posting as me, it's childish.

The boost camp should be good, but too much emphasis is being put on camps like these and is a key factor why alot of these young kids are open palmed prima donas. The days of feeling pride in the school that offers a scholarship to these guys is long gone, and replaced with the current 1 year or 2 year NBA platform that college basketball is starting to become. These AAU teams and traveling camps really have brought down the level of play in college basketball.

Posted by MT Husky

12:18 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Well said, Meatball. I liked your take on the camps and agree with you, but am curious why you say AAU and these camps are reducing the level of play at the collegiate level.

If you're saying it is because the top talent is leaving early, I'm not so sure you can really blame AAU for that. They would be doing so anyways.

Despite my dislike of the emphasis now placed on AAU and these camps it would seem to me it improves the level of play since they are coming in so accustomed to playing at a level that more closely resembles collegiate ball than h.s. ball.

Posted by Lo

1:32 PM, Aug 19, 2008

I recently saw an AAU tournament at the University of Virginia. Other than the incredible athleticism, I was not at all impressed with the basketball. Teams quickly thrown together only lead to plenty of one-on-one and back and forth break-aways. I kept on thinking that a single well organized team that slowed it down a bit would have mopped up the competition. Don't get me wrong, I love up-tempo ball, but it has to be done under control and with a mastery of basketball fundamentals. Most of the kids I saw dunking and alley-hooping had no fundamentals. In Europe, an 8th grader who can dunk from outside the key would be followed constantly and would never be allowed to goof off and "lose" it along the road to adulthood.

Posted by Dave "The Meatball" Armistead

1:53 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Even though I rag on Husky basketball, I'm actually a huge closet fan of UW athletics. I mean, why else would I spend the majority of my day posting on this board? Once Lute retires, Lorenzo Romar will become my favorite coach. I do declare I've had a man-crush on him for some time. He just looks so sexy pacing the sidelines at Hec-Ed arena.

Posted by Dave " The Meatball" Armistead

2:19 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Wanna be Meatball...seriously guy, give it up. Everyone knows that I feel that Romar is a main reason why the Huskies can't break through in the Pac-10, so no doubt I want him to remain coach, but unfortunatley I don't have much respect for him.

MT Husky- Lo stated a few of the reasons very well in terms of the fundamentals, but I would also point towards an overall disruption. It never really affected my Wildcats until now as we typically just re-loaded with top talent if someone left after two years (Bibby, Arenas, Iggy), but with Bayless being our first true one and done we relied to heavily upon Jennings who would have also been a one and done if he had stepped onto campus. Now we have much less heralded recruits, but in the long run I think it will help steady the Arizona Ship. Many of you note that though Hawes was a talent, the Huskies never really developed an identity and his 1 year stint was more of a disruption than anything beneficial to the program. Just look at the Huskies post seasons the last few years to acknowledge there is a ton of validity to that argument.

Guys like Carmelo Anthony and Derrick Rose may be the exception, and there could be more Freshmen phenom who help their schools, but the Meatball notes that overall they are a disruption. Obviously with how talented Jennings is I would have loved to see him suit up as a Wildcat, but in the short and long run I think my Cats will be better off with guys like Fogg and Judkins who come in much less heralded. I like that Lute has stated he will no longer go after one and done players, as those were never the guys he initially recruited all of those years that gave him such success.

The AAU teams are problematic due to the NBA (and street ball) one on one style of the games, but the other HUGE factor is the shoe companies. These kids are 15,16,17 years old and they might not go to certain camps because of the shoe company that sponsers it????? These corporate viruses like Sonny Vacarro are largely responsible for creating these over inflated attitudes, and unfortunately until the one and done rule is thrown out, it will never get better.

Posted by LFPDawg

3:13 PM, Aug 19, 2008

So I'm not the only one to see the resemblance! I thought I was going crazy, haha.

Posted by Ziasudra

6:31 PM, Aug 19, 2008

Meatball, when you talk basketball, you have some good insights. It's just when you get to bad-mouthing everyone else, you become obnoxious.
Your choice. . . .

Posted by mattysimone

8:50 PM, Aug 19, 2008

yeah quit being a jack meat and just talk normal like that...I actually read that last post...usually I just skip right over assuming your talkin trash......although you cant tell me deep down your pissed about jennings! hell im still pissed about webster lol anyway good points about aau and the sponsors......

Posted by realdeal

1:20 PM, Aug 20, 2008

We all badmouth the AAU and summer circuit, but...

AAU is basically pick-up ball. No question about it. However, These kids would probably be playing pick-up wherever they live anyway, correct? what's the difference? What did they use to do during their summers before the scourge of AAU that was so much more structured and educational?

And- it's funny- the best AAU players often end up being NBA players/stars. So, the process must be working for them and the NBA; they must be developing the right skills in AAU for the NBA. Am I right? If AAU ball was so bad- it seems to me the NBA wouldn't be interested in its products. And we have to assume NBA teams pick the best players; thus, it implicitly affirms the wisdom of the AAU circuit.

If the NBA was not interested in what the AAU was doing with young players, NBA level talent would cease participating.

Basically- if it was not working and making players better and developing the skills NBA teams look for, NBA teams would not pick players coming out of the system.

Posted by Dave " The Meatball" Armistead

2:39 PM, Aug 20, 2008

"So what exactly is the problem? Is it that it's ruining the college game? So it's working for the players, and not college fans? "

The simple answer is yes. The conversation wasn't about AAU and preparing kids for NBA success; it was about the disruption that occurs in college basketball due to AAU, sneaker companies, ect... AAU obviously could be argued as a good thing for the kids as evidenced by Top AAU players being the majority of one and done players who are high NBA draft picks, but the commentary was how AAU and the attitude that it typically breeds affects college basketball. This meatball thinks it hurts programs more than it helps, but I also recognize that these camps and competitions help the young players hone their skills.

The simple way to compare which product is better is to take College teams from the 80's and 90's and figuratively match them against NCAA teams from the last 5 years. This Meatball thinks the teams of old would mop up the more recent teams. Would you take Danny Manning led Jayhawks over last years Champs? Would you take Michael Jordan led and Rasheed Wallace led North Carolina teams against the Tar Heel Champs from a few years ago? The 90-92' Runnin Rebels vs either Florida Champion? Anyone who was considered good from 1985-1995 against the 2003 Syracuse National Champ team? I would.

Of course this is all subjective, but it could lead to some interesting arguments. Though it won't surprise any of you, but I would take my 2000-2001 National Runner Up Wildcats team (Gardner, Arenas, Jefferson, Wright, Woods, Walton,Edgerson,R.Anderson,Justin Wessel, L.Frazier) over any team of past or present. I know, take shots at the Meatball, my Cats lost to Puke in the final, bla, blah, blah, but there were too many questionable things about that game, so don't get me started.

I'm curious to hear others thoughts regarding what I mentioned above about college basketball teams being better overall teams 10-25 years ago than it is today.

Watts, Booker in 3BA game at KeyArena