Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

July 23, 2008 1:15 PM

Recruiting notes, and more

A few notes and answers to pass along. ...

--- First, this is another big recruiting week for college coaches --- I know UW has the full allowed complement of three out on the road right now. Head coach Lorenzo Romar is in Las Vegas, where there are three big tournaments being held at once. Rivals.com has a nice breakdown of each tournament, with links to tournament home pages and other info.

Jeff Goodman of Fox has this wrapup of the first day, including calling UW target Avery Bradley "the best perimeter defender in the country. Rivals also has this review of the first day.

I'll try to keep tabs on any UW-related developments from the tournaments and pass them on here.

--- MT Husky wanted to know if I plan on passing along any more practice reports or stories on the freshmen. Yes, I plan to do a few more this off-season. But there's a lot of off-season, so I don't want to do everything all at once. Most of the basketball players will be enrolled in the next quarter of summer school --- many are also working at the team's camps next month --- so most will be around.

--- One who won't is Matthew Bryan-Amaning, who is leaving this week for England to play for the national U-20 team there. One reader wanted to know if I'd written anything about it. I wrote a little about it here and also in other blog pieces and I'll try to pass along what I can from his games with the team. I talked with MBA about it for a while but this is one of those stories in which there will be a lot more to tell once he starts playing --- right now, what he mostly knows is that he's excited to get a chance. I will add that I don't understand any criticism of Romar for letting him play. I don't see how the injury risk is any greater playing in this than in the two-hour pickup games he'd have at UW every day. Guess you could argue there is a little risk of getting worn down. But MBA is at a stage where he is just beginning to really develop his game and it would seem to be that this kind of high-level experience could only be a positive for the Huskies. More to the point, it would be insane to expect a college coach to deny a player like Bryan-Amaning a chance to represent his country in an Olympics staged in his native city.

--- Here's a Pac-10 note, as former Cougar Derrick Low is apparently headed to Australia.

All for now.

Posted by MT Husky

1:52 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Thanks Bob,

Wise of you to pace the ‘write-ups’ on the freshmen as we roll through the dawg days of summer. I'm just glad they'll be coming and I'll continue to look forward to them.

You’re spot on old chap regarding MBA. The downside is the potential concern that it wears him down for (or in the latter half of) the regular seasom; but it seems there is a lot higher upside with the valuable experience he’ll gain. As an avid fan, I’m glad Romar is allowing him to play and think it will prove to be beneficial.

Any information (even links) you come across where we can monitor how he does would be great.

Keep up the good work!

Posted by everett

2:30 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Bob -

Great reporting as always. I'm unsure, though, what you mean by not "understanding" Romar's criticism of letting MBA play - was he ever hesitant about it? I had thought Romar was supportive of it from the beginning. I certainly it's great for MBA in the long and short term.

Posted by OlyDawg

2:51 PM, Jul 23, 2008

MBA will be back before the fall quarter even starts at UW. That's plenty of time to rest before the start of the season, especially for a 19 year old.

Posted by Scott

4:10 PM, Jul 23, 2008

everett,
Somebody on the blog criticized Romar for letting him play. They were promptly responded to by several bloggers saying that MBA playing international ball is a huge positive. It's really on non-issue

Posted by GaddyZona

8:20 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Good news for the Arizona Wildcats and Gaddy.

Yes, the coaching staff is making a national impression.
And the top recruits are taking notice.

Looks like Stover has the Arizona Wildcats on the top of his list.

Let me quote him:"California big man, Anthony Stover, claims the Wildcats stand alone at the top of his list".

"It’s been made apparent that the Arizona Wildcats are in need of finding quality bigs for their 2009 recruiting class; and with the Wildcats already nabbing Greg Smith, it’s obvious that they’ve gotten a head start on accomplishing that task. However, it seems as though they are not finished with Smith as another California big man, Anthony Stover, claims the Wildcats stand alone at the top of his list."

Note:
That means that uclass is out of the mix. Too little too late Benny.

Posted by ZonaBaby

8:22 PM, Jul 23, 2008

One of little faith....Arizona Wildcats

Yes, the coaching staff is making a national impression.
And the top recruits are taking notice.

Looks like Stover has the Arizona Wildcats on the top of his list.

Note:
That means that uclass is out of the mix. Too little too late Benny.

Posted by everett

9:58 PM, Jul 23, 2008

Ah. Thanks for the info, Scott!

Posted by Matt

10:21 AM, Jul 24, 2008

Great stuff as always, Bob. Re: MBA playing elsewhere...One of the best 'sayings' I've heard that Romar tells his players after each season on the topic of "How do I get prepared to play in the NBA?". He tells them, "During the season, it's all about how the team gets better. During the off-season, it's all about how the individual gets better. Take advantage of the off-season to improve more than your peers do." What better way to improve than against people better than you, in a real-game environment. Go MBA!

A couple updates