Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

July 16, 2008 9:28 AM

ESPN lauds Huskies, Seattle hoops scene

Two good articles this morning on ESPN.com to draw to your attention:

--- First is this piece by former Seattle PI columnist Ted Miller on the continually fruitful high school and AAU basketball scene in "the 206.'' The story includes several quotes from UW coach Lorenzo Romar.

--- Miller's ESPN colleague Andy Katz leads off his Insider blog today with an item on UW, asking "Is Washington ready to challenge in the Pac-10?'' Katz quotes UCLA coach Ben Howland as saying that the Huskies "should be taken seriously as a player in the Pac-10 this season.'' There are a couple of more quotes from Romar, making the point that the team's experience should be a plus this season, as should the added depth in the backcourt with the addition of the three freshmen.

"It's the first time in three years we'll have the experience,'' Romar says in the article, something he has repeated in other venues, as well.

Romar also says that he expects Quincy Pondexter to have a breakout season, pointing in this story to the last four games of the Pac-10 season, including the 19-point game at Stanford and the 23-pointer against Cal.

Katz also says that Jon Brockman should compete with Arizona State's James Harden, UCLA's Darren Collison, Arizona's Chase Budinger and maybe USC's Taj Gibson for Pac-10 Player of the Year honors.

And he says that while UCLA and Arizona State have to be considered the two favorites in the Pac-10 that UW should be slotted in the next group with Arizona and USC.

Posted by 206er

10:17 AM, Jul 16, 2008

yea! 206er loves when seatown gets respect. go dawgs!

Posted by Mix

10:48 AM, Jul 16, 2008

GO DAWGS!

I'm really getting excited for this year!

Posted by MT Husky

Posted by bellingham husky

11:14 AM, Jul 16, 2008

great stuff bob. I feel the need to remind you that this type of info is appreciated. It's really fun.

The dawgs will be good and compete this year I really believe.

FT shooting, especially FT deep in games I think will make the difference between being middle of the road pac 10 team and one of the 2 or 3 elite teames. That and QPON are LARGE factors.

I feel that with Brockman and solid talent we won't dip below average. Any body else got an opinion on what will take this team from middle of the road to a contender in PAC 10 play?

Posted by MT Husky

11:42 AM, Jul 16, 2008

For Huskies to compete they have to generate more open shots and hit more of those. Offensively last season too many possessions came down to guys going one-on-one ineffectively and forcing up a poor shot…and too often when they did make a good pass to the open man, he missed the shot.

The FT’s are important, but that didn’t keep Memphis from making it to the championship last year or Ohio State and Florida two years ago. They were all poor FT shooting teams, but they found a way to develop good shots offensively. Huskies did poorly in both categories last season.

Defensively Huskies allowed teams to hit too many wide open jumpers because too many guys played too soft away from the ball or lost their man altogether. Too often there was someone open and good teams were able to find that man. Even in that blowout against Oregon State it was horrifying how many open jumpers they had, fortunately they just could hit any.

P.S. Sorry for the above post with that link Bob had already given. I just pulled an Uggla there.

Posted by Royal

11:51 AM, Jul 16, 2008

"that UW should be slotted in the next group with Arizona and USC."

I sure hope so!

Posted by Royal

11:53 AM, Jul 16, 2008

MT I would be curious what your analysis would be after you looked at the Huskies stats vs the rest of the Pac-10.

Posted by MT Husky

12:03 PM, Jul 16, 2008

UW allowed teams to shoot 45%, 9th in the Pac-10.

Offensively they shot 45%, 8th in the Pac-10.

They allowed teams to shoot 37% from the 3-point line, 10th in the Pac-10.

They shot 35% form the 3 point line, 8th in the Pac-10.

Am I missing something?

I don't mean that sarcastically, seriously? Do you disagree with my assessment?

Posted by bellingham husky

12:33 PM, Jul 16, 2008

interesting points, MT Husky, on the Memphis, Ohio State and Floridas FT shooting. And i tend to agree although i don't know if the huskies have the raw talent to make FT shooting a moot point.

I think solid FT shooting will HAVE to be a component in their success. I would venture to say if brock man hits 65% of his freethrows that he will be POY.

The off ball defense or just defense was pretty poor last year, especially early on in the season. That has been noted a couple different times. I don't see that being as big of an issue this year an older squad.

Posted by MT Husky

12:43 PM, Jul 16, 2008

I agree on all counts Bellingham.

FT's are important, my point was there has been so much focus on it that I think it is more important Huskies learn to play better defense and take better shots. It seems to me the FT's almost became an excuse where even if they had shot a better % there were other serious issues that hurt them last season.

I also agree that I think Huskies will improve in both those areas this coming season...but if they don't...

Posted by bellingham husky

1:03 PM, Jul 16, 2008

Yep, I can see that also..... it was just sooooo bad:)

Posted by Husky Key

1:07 PM, Jul 16, 2008

Key to the Huskies this year is sneaking in to a couple of arenas and generating some w's. A few wins and we will be in the running as we will be quite tough at Hec ed.

Posted by Randy

4:02 PM, Jul 16, 2008

Well Husky Key that used to be the case. Even 2 years ago (2006-2007) with a losing record the Huskys did really well at BAA. But last year some cracks appeared. They lost to Arizona State, Washington State, USC, Stanford and Cal (and of course Pitt) at home. That made a 4-5 home record in PAC 10 play. Hardly adequate. If they hadn't won 3 road games they would have finished 9th. Much improvement need at home.

Posted by jai

9:34 AM, Jul 17, 2008

There was another "story" on ESPN.com, or I guess more of an interactive map, that included the six best players to form a team made from the top eight hoops hotbeds. It included Seattle, LA, NYC, Philly, ATL, Chicago, Baltimore/DC and Houston. The players had to have graduated high school in the last 10 years. I think the Seattle team was Hawes, Marvin Williams, Jamal Crawford, Martell Webster, Roy and Nate Robinson.

Here's the link... http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/features/cityhigh