Husky Men's Basketball Blog

E-mail Bob| Husky Men's Basketball forum| RSS feeds Subscribe | Blog Home

July 10, 2008 10:13 PM

A couple more notes

A few more notes to pass along:

--- First, hope you'll read the updated post below on Chace Stanback. I had personal commitments much of the afternoon and early tonight that kept me away from the computer and the initial post was just something I slapped together real fast. Indications are that it's pretty unlikely he'll come to UW due largely to the fact that he would have to walk-on for a season before getting a ride. As I mentioned in the updated post, he took his trip to UW knowing that was the situation, indicating he was pretty interested anyway. But he's also visited several other schools, including NC State (his family originally hails from North Carolina) so he has some other options likely involving scholarship offers. UW is at the full 13 for next season --- a level it reached after the decision that Joel Smith would not return for his fifth season --- and that isn't expected to change now.

--- As mentioned previously, UW's schedule will be completed in the next few days. Indications are that the lone remaining game to be filled won't be against a really big name opponent, as had been hoped for, as the Huskies had trouble landing some of the opponents they targeted earlier, notably Georgia Tech and Fresno State. The latter was sought after so it could be a homecoming for Quincy Pondexter.

--- All of the freshmen are now in town and I plan to get to a workout soon (a couple personal things prevented that happening this week). One of them, Tyreese Breshers, is still sitting out with a shin injury that dates back to last season, but UW coaches have said it isn't something that should impact his ability to play this season.

--- Jon Brockman isn't playing right now, either, while continuing to recover from off-season ankle surgery. However, I'm told he should be able to start playing soon, maybe next week.

--- Artem Wallace continues to recover well and is on target for a mid-November return.

All for now.

Posted by MT Husky

7:15 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Thanks Bob,

Sure will look forward to any observations you can share after seeing some workouts.

Thanks for keeping us updated on the rumor mill as well. Doesn't sound like it will amount to much, but it made the last few weeks fun to think and guess at what might be.

And, in the end, it doesn't matter what Stanback does (especially if he isn't into hard-nosed defense anyways...the cliche "defense wins championships" is a cliche for a reason), Huskies have a lot of players coming in to be excited about.

Posted by G Udub

8:13 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Thanks Bob.

I appreciate your efforts in looking into this.

I'm also especially interested in hearing about the work-outs. Specifically with regards to MBA and IT. I hear MBA is suprising some people with huge improvements and that IT is everything he's been hyped and more.

This year's team is getting me very excited!

Go Dawgs!!

Posted by Scott

8:30 AM, Jul 11, 2008

A decent article reporting from a recent workout.

Once again, sounds hopeful, but the season is much different than pickup ball. Once again, Dentmon seems to have improved physically. One disappointment is the opinion that Suggs isn't physically ready for Pac-10 ball yet. I didn't think this was the case. Hopefully it's just that he hasn't become familiar with playing with these guys yet and is a bit hesitant.

I have great hopes for IT. I think this team desparately needed his type of game. It also encourages me that he understands defense is key to the Dawgs.

Posted by kramer

8:57 AM, Jul 11, 2008

i heard from a little birdie that the last game could be pacific. dont know how much validity it has, but pacific has three kids from the seattle area so it might be an attempt by their coach to get those kids up here to play in front of their families.

9:23 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Kramer --- Pacific has actually already been announced so that's not the game still to come. UW will host Pacific on Nov. 29 at Hec Ed.

Posted by bleedin' purple

9:35 AM, Jul 11, 2008

Scott-

The P-I article makes it sound as if if Suggs' problem is just that he needs to spend some time with the strength coach, not that he has any issues with confidence. I realize that is just the impression the P-I's blogger got from watching the scrimage, but if true it wouldn't be that different from Gant's situation last year who redshirted in order to give himself a chance to bulk up.

Posted by MT Husky

12:06 PM, Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for that link Scott.

Each off-season it seems like we hear something different regarding Dentmon and his current physical status. After his freshman year he bulked up with the dreams of going to the NBA. That didn’t work so last year he came in trimmed back down. Now it sounds like maybe he’s found a good balance, not too muscular but still strong. I’ve been a critic of Dentmon, but they could use his experience with the four young guards – that would be fabulous if he can have his best season his sr. year.

I liked hearing that Thomas has been ‘zipping no-look passes’ and that he made the defense comment. That addressed two questions I’ve had regarding him, ‘will he pass?’ and ‘what is his commitment to defense?’. Wow…hard to not let the excitement regarding him continue to build.

Not too concerned about Suggs and Turner physiques, it was positive to hear they can both hit the 3’s and are showing good offensive moves.
Good for QPon for bulking up. He seemed to do well last season when he posted up. His NBA potential is probably intensified the more he can excel at the wing, but good for him if he is willing to do what he can to contribute the most for the Huskies, even if that isn’t his best spot for the NBA.

I don’t even want to get excited about MBA. But yet…the reports keep trickling in that he’s elevated his game. Think about it, if IT can bring what we’re hearing to Pac-10 game-time, MBA can truly elevate his game and QPon continues to progress.
Dang! Next year could be fun!

On a separate note – an interesting link on Lute stating he won’t recruit players who intend to be one-and-done. Please recall the arguments made in the past stating that IT will do more for the Husky program than Brandon Jennings would have. I think justice will be served if a team like the Huskies with a bunch of 3 and 4 year players can excel this coming season.

Posted by B

12:55 PM, Jul 11, 2008

Dentmon looked fine yesterday. he played with overton in the 5's and ran the court very well, had a couple of nice dunks. Several of the players were late getting there because they were lifting.

Suggs looks good and was able to attack the rim. But the freshman, aside from thomas. Disappeared during the 5 on 5 game, which is not a bad thing. You don't wanna depend on freshman really, they should just be a compliment to what you already have. Both suggs and turner looked good though, I would put turner ahead of suggs right now.

Posted by MT Husky

1:48 PM, Jul 11, 2008

Thanks ‘B’, great to hear your observations.

Turner has been playing with NBA guys (thanks to his Dad) the past few months I think. I’ve kind of wondered/hoped if that would help him in both game development and his confidence.

How about Gant and Holiday?

Posted by Scott

9:52 AM, Jul 12, 2008

Are these workouts open to the public?

Posted by mattysimone

2:51 PM, Jul 12, 2008

why doesnt isiah just pay his way....after all it is his cousin and the uni did give him 4 years worth of free college. could that be any kind of tax deduction?

A couple updates

Bradley, Gaddy updates

Roy to have surgery

Former Husky Femerling in Olympics

Joel Smith to Chaminade

What's in a wheel size?new
Dear Tom and Ray: I drive Lincoln Navigators. I like as good a ride as possible for this size vehicle. If I remember correctly, the one I bought in 20...